Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #1081
Kookie Creator

[QUOTE=ScrappinMoments;15038294Quick question, what is a good paper? I ordered SU confetti white, does that work well or do I need a watercolor paper?[/QUOTE]

The SU Confetti White should work fine with your pencils. You do not need watercolor paper to use Prismacolor pencils, either alone or with the "gamsol" technique. By preference, I use either Gina K's pure luxury in the base weight as it's super smooth and the blending just floats for me. When I'm looking for something with a bit more "tooth" to it, I go with Papertrey's Rustic White, which is similar to the SU Confetti White.

Make sure you go with a good ink. Memento Tuxedo Black works great with both pencils and copics.

V
Old 09-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #1082
Matboard Maniac

I just called my SU demo and my order for the confetti white was delayed in getting order. I will not be having it to take with me. If I had know this, I would have ordered some paper online with a company and had it shipped to me. I'm a bit stuck now, and very disappointed.

My only other option now is to stop at Michaels on the way down to the ocean and Clare's Keepsake and Scrapbook (something like that) in DE.

I do know the Michaels is a bit small and also they don't carry copics or prismacolor pencils. I'm not sure what brand of paper they will carry as I don't go there very often as it is still a bit of a drive.

Anybody want to give me a list of several brands that I can see if either of those two places carry? Hopefully one of the two places will have something I can use.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #1083
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Someone in this thread had suggested using Georgia Pacific White-its 110 lb paper-I bought it at Walmart-I used it a couple of times and it works ok. I then heard about Gina K pure luxury paper-I bought it and I love it

Splitcoaststampers Color Challenge DT Coordinator

My Blog
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #1084
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryR917 View Post
I have had my prismacolor pencils for about 2 months but haven't used them much because of all the business of summer.
I bought this changito stamp -thought it would give me practice coloring.

my sample

I'm trying
Your monkey card is so cute! Keep up the good work!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #1085
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Someone in this thread had suggested using Georgia Pacific White-its 110 lb paper-I bought it at Walmart-I used it a couple of times and it works ok. I then heard about Gina K pure luxury paper-I bought it and I love it
I'll stop at the Walmart on way home from work. It's a very small Walmart (matches our small town). If they don't have it, maybe I can get to the Superwalmart over weekend. Just really panic thinking of going anywhere this weekend because of the holiday. We are in harms way with beach traffic.

Is the Georgia Pacific cardstock found in the scrapbooking/paper section or in the stationary isle?

Last edited by ScrappinMoments; 09-02-2009 at 06:42 PM..
Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #1086
Matboard Maniac

In our Walmart it's in the same section as computer paper.

Becky
Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #1087
Matboard Maniac

Thanks so much! Probably why I never saw it, as I always go to the scrapbooking/craft section. This paper will be perfect for practicing on while at the beach.

I soooo excited! I think I'll head over to Walmart at lunch (avoid the traffic).
Old 09-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #1088
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Someone in this thread had suggested using Georgia Pacific White-its 110 lb paper-I bought it at Walmart-I used it a couple of times and it works ok.
For the price it's pretty good. It's great general drawing paper. I like to keep a stack around to draw on.

Good luck Scrappin' Mo ! Have fun coloring and post some results when you're ready!
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #1089
Matboard Maniac

Found the paper at Walmart. What a bargin. 150 sheets for 5.77.

I messed around with a few leaves last night just getting the feel of things, but eyes got quite tired and figure I would give it a better shot in the morning.

--> Beary Best Card <--

I bought the 48 color set and it doesnt have any greys or tans. I will definitely be expanding my collection.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #1090
Gabfest Goddess

I think you did just great!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 09-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #1091
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappinMoments View Post
Found the paper at Walmart. What a bargin. 150 sheets for 5.77.

I messed around with a few leaves last night just getting the feel of things, but eyes got quite tired and figure I would give it a better shot in the morning.

--> Beary Best Card <--

I bought the 48 color set and it doesnt have any greys or tans. I will definitely be expanding my collection.
Wow! Your card is just precious! What a super job you did of coloring! Sure hope my 1st attempt is thatgreat! TFS!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #1092
Mad Swapper

I just have to thank you all for the great tips. I've been using OMS for awhile and had bad luck with ink smearing. As a member of Wish RAK I don't always know what ink has been used. But after reading these posts I decided to give baby oil another try. I had tried baby oil early on but found it left an oily residue. Well, thanks to your great tips to use it sparingly, I've found a new medium that I LOVE!

No more oily residue, no more smearing ink and best of all - no more headache after using it for long periods of time!

Yay!
Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #1093
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
--> Beary Best Card <--

Looks great! Good job. Post some more when you're ready!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #1094
Kookie Creator

Does anyone have the prismacolor matches for Packfic Point, Baja Breeze, Kiwi Kiss, Rising Hood Red, Pink Pirouette and Tangerine Tango. By the way this is a wonderful and needed thread. I have so much STUFF that I forgot about my prismacolors till I read it. They are the best!!

Chris.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #1095
Mad Swapper

If you have a staples anywhere close by, try the Staples brand card stock - the 110lb kind. 250 sheets for about 15.00. I use the GP for layering but I really like how the staples brand works with my prismas and I have tried several of the more expensive brands, though NOT gina k yet.
Kim

Quote:
I just called my SU demo and my order for the confetti white was delayed in getting order. I will not be having it to take with me. If I had know this, I would have ordered some paper online with a company and had it shipped to me. I'm a bit stuck now, and very disappointed.

My only other option now is to stop at Michaels on the way down to the ocean and Clare's Keepsake and Scrapbook (something like that) in DE.

I do know the Michaels is a bit small and also they don't carry copics or prismacolor pencils. I'm not sure what brand of paper they will carry as I don't go there very often as it is still a bit of a drive.

Anybody want to give me a list of several brands that I can see if either of those two places carry? Hopefully one of the two places will have something I can use.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 09-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #1096
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by laciann View Post
Does anyone have the prismacolor matches for Packfic Point, Baja Breeze, Kiwi Kiss, Rising Hood Red, Pink Pirouette and Tangerine Tango. By the way this is a wonderful and needed thread. I have so much STUFF that I forgot about my prismacolors till I read it. They are the best!!
The closest matches I have of my pencils are:

Packfic Point - True Blue
Baja Breeze - Muted Turquoise
Kiwi Kiss - Artichoke
Rising Hood Red - none that I have are close enough
Pink Pirouette - none of my current ones match but the retired Decor Pink is almost exact
Tangerine Tango - Mineral Orange

HTH
Old 09-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #1097
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi all! Been awhile since I've done any card coloring. Here is one I colored with Prismas and my wife put the card together. I like the way this came out, I used Pink Rose as a base color for this bat and it made him all warm looking I think. Didn't use any solvents, the Pink Rose made for a nice slick surface to blend the pencils. I mostly use solvents for larger areas.

Thanks for looking! Like to see some more postings here!

Oh.. and somehow I've become addicted to these smiley's I've found.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #1098
Kookie Creator

I too have been neglecting this forum!! I just finished coloring a Magnolia "Tilda" stamp - but it's nothing too exciting. It will post on my blog tomorrow afternoon! I'm hoping to get more coloring done in the weeks to come!

I love your bat Tim and your Smiley guys!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #1099
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Maria! I'll check out your blog tomorrow. With Fall coming coloring is in the air. I just finished a bunch of new designs and now I get to color them! Always a good time.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #1100
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
I too have been neglecting this forum!! I just finished coloring a Magnolia "Tilda" stamp - but it's nothing too exciting. It will post on my blog tomorrow afternoon!
Nice coloring on the image! Just checked out your blog today. Nice soft colors.

Monica and I collaborated on another card here. I used lots of purple Prismas but first I did a grisaille with a Sand Prisma. It's in the range of a complementary for Purple. I like the way it pops through in places and keeps the purple from appearing too flat.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #1101
Insane Embellisher

I just bought all 132 colors of Prismacolor pencils!!! WooHoo!!

In the big tub o'colored pencils at home that my kids use, I realized we had the Crayola pencils. I have no idea where they came from but was thrilled to find them after I learned they were similar to the Prismacolor pencils. I've been playing with them and really like the results but needed more colors (of course). I was going to wait until Christmas, but I just couldn't! I was also going to order a smaller set, but I just couldn't! So I got them all!! Merry early Christmas to me.

It's time to start stalking the FedEx guy again.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #1102
Kookie Creator

Send a message via AIM to jenniewren Send a message via Yahoo to jenniewren

I have some duplicate colors. Is anyone interested in making a trade? I have the following: White, Cream, Black, Dark Brown, Light Umber, Sunburst Yellow, Olive Green, Grass Green, and Crimson Red.

I'd be willing to trade just about anything - stamped images, die cuts, embellishments, etc - with each of us paying our own shipping. I'd like to see these appreciated rather than just sitting here gathering dust. I'll even trade with multiple people if no one wants all of them.

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Old 09-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #1103
Rubber Obsessor

Default Under coloring House Mouse

Mr. Hambo.... love the undercolors you use... do you have any suggestions for House Mouse stamps so their fur colors are not so one-color all over?

Chris
Old 09-17-2009, 03:09 AM   #1104
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKumar View Post
Mr. Hambo.... love the undercolors you use... do you have any suggestions for House Mouse stamps so their fur colors are not so one-color all over?

Chris
Thanks Chris! First off I would recommend Hambo Stamps instead but if you have to use other stamps... lol. I just tried using Pink Rose as an under color on a mostly Grey bat , seemed to give it a nice warm feel to it. Use your greys on top and maybe a little Sky Blue to blend lighter areas. And use Black Grape or any other dark reds for any dark areas.

Happy coloring!

Timbo
Old 09-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #1105
Gabfest Goddess

Lately I've been playingiwth other mediums but am getting back to my favs, prisma pencils. I colored this card using just prismas - no gamsol.

The mountains look a bit hazy but I was hoping to be able to give the impression of distance. Hope you like...
Old 09-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #1106
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 View Post
Lately I've been playingiwth other mediums but am getting back to my favs, prisma pencils. I colored this card using just prismas - no gamsol.

The mountains look a bit hazy but I was hoping to be able to give the impression of distance. Hope you like...
The mountains look great. I'm amazed at how well you masked everything. The coloring is awesome. I like the tree on the right the best. Lots of colors in it and not just a plain old brown tree.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #1107
Gabfest Goddess

Mr. Hambo - wow, thanks so much.

I love making scenes and I make a lot of masks. Eclipse tape is wonderful; a bit pricer than post-its, but well worth it as it holds up well and you can reuse them.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #1108
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm on a coloring roll. Had a lot of fun and some problems with this one. Haven't really tried a harsh light from a fire before, but I muddled through it. Had to break out a few Copics and Gamsol for this one. Know how some cards/drawings have an 'ugly stage'? This one had a few... lol.

Thanks for looking!
Timbo
Old 09-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #1109
Rubber Obsessor

Thanx for the ideas on the under colors... I'll give it a try...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #1110
Embossing Fanatic

Lightbulb ink smearing printer tip... Canon and other dual black printers

Hi Peeps! I just have a tip for people with printers with 2 black inks... this might work for you. My dye based Epson Photo printer was dying so I switched to a Canon Pixma MP4600... it has individual cartridges yellow, magenta, cyan, photo black and regular black ( pigmented). For photos it uses the dye photo black because the pigment ink ( meant for crisp text on regular paper) sits funny on the surface of the glossy photo paper. Well, my digistamp prints were smearing....with pencils ( even dry!.. the wax smeared the ink) watercolours, wet markers, dove blender...etc. I tried fixatif sprays.. they kind of work but they also mess with the surface of your paper... so watercolouring is not so fun; I tried heat setting ... nope. Then I started messing with my printer settings. I chose for my paper Canon's proprietary "photo paper plus glossy" and the print quality at high. Mind you I was using matte card stock! It actually forced my printer to use the photo black. You can tell which ink is used... the pigment black will be blacker and slightly raised.. you can feel it when you rub your fingers over it... the photo black is slightly duller and completely flat. So try a high setting with your printers own glossy photo paper brand, it might work.

I am not sure how many printers have this but if you have a printer like mine... this might work for you. My prints don't smear at all now. No more spraying yey!

Now get back to colouring Have a great day y'all!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #1111
Polyshrink Goddess

Great tip.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #1112
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredness View Post
I am not sure how many printers have this but if you have a printer like mine... this might work for you. My prints don't smear at all now. No more spraying yey!
Hi, Fred --

For my printer, I have to manually swap out the regular black ink cartridge and replace it with a photo ink cartridge. But I definitely agree with you -- the photo ink works much better.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Old 10-20-2009, 06:42 PM   #1113
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Nice coloring on the image! Just checked out your blog today. Nice soft colors.

Monica and I collaborated on another card here. I used lots of purple Prismas but first I did a grisaille with a Sand Prisma. It's in the range of a complementary for Purple. I like the way it pops through in places and keeps the purple from appearing too flat.
May I ask what a "grisaille" is? Sorry if it was discussed earlier... some great tips here if I can get through this whole thread! I had a few Prismas before but I just bought another dozen or so to fill in the gaps, so I'm looking to use them a bit more. I love how you combined the pencils and Copics in that fire card!!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #1114
Rubber Obsessor

Talking Scrappin Alley

I found out accidently by tying in Prism color pencils on a search, I can find Prism c/pencils there. I don't have to pay s& h there,+ they were 20% off. Dick Bik's site cost $1o for S& h. I can now buy them separate. The only thing I could't find was the blending pencil. i was able to buy 1 pencil w/ my order. I bought my 1st French Grey pencil. I'm trying to experment w/ greys & shadow etc. now. I'm buyijg them indivually so I get the colors I know I will use since I'm on a a tight budget
The blender is good on pulling colors to the edges. I'll still use my stump for bigger areas.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #1115
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmabear49 View Post
I found out accidently by tying in Prism color pencils on a search, I can find Prism c/pencils there. I don't have to pay s& h there,+ they were 20% off. Dick Bik's site cost $1o for S& h. I can now buy them separate. The only thing I could't find was the blending pencil. i was able to buy 1 pencil w/ my order. I bought my 1st French Grey pencil. I'm trying to experment w/ greys & shadow etc. now. I'm buyijg them indivually so I get the colors I know I will use since I'm on a a tight budget
The blender is good on pulling colors to the edges. I'll still use my stump for bigger areas.
Do you have a link by any chance, I'm not finding "srappin alley..." TIA!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right”--Lincoln
Old 10-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #1116
Kookie Creator

I think the site she's talking about is Scrapbooking Alley (http://www.scrapbookingalley.com/). They run everything at 20% off with no shipping. They ship fast, service was excellent. In their search, type "Prismacolor". It will return the individual pencils and sets.

V
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #1117
Rubber Obsessor

Thumbs up Scrapbooking alley,com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
Do you have a link by any chance, I'm not finding "srappin alley..." TIA!
Sorry I posted an incorrect name. I looked it up on my favo.tab.shipping is quick,Fed Ex delivers it. I've used them several times. Found out w/the last order if U type in an item it shows up. Before the index didn't list the items ex.Prism color pencils etc. I also found Crafty Vintage stickers which nobody carries here in El Paso. I found it by accident.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #1118
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Default Prisma Blending pencils

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmabear49 View Post
I know a lot of folks use Gamsol or baby oil, and sometimes I do, too. But most often I use the Primacolor Blending Pencils. Grandmabear, you mention you couldn't find them. At Michael's, I can find them in a pack of two over in the art section.

Hope this helps!
-my blog
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni & Featured Stamper Hostess
I design for:
DRS Designs
Our Daily Bread designs
Serendipity Stamps
Old 10-26-2009, 02:48 AM   #1119
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoocreative View Post
May I ask what a "grisaille" is? Sorry if it was discussed earlier... some great tips here if I can get through this whole thread! I had a few Prismas before but I just bought another dozen or so to fill in the gaps, so I'm looking to use them a bit more. I love how you combined the pencils and Copics in that fire card!!

A grisaille is a monochromatic underpainting. Some painters would do it in grays to imitate stone but you can use any color. Indigo Blue seems to be popular for colored pencil artists and for portraits I've seen Sienna Brown used a lot.
Hope this helps!
Here's a good site for CP artists http://www.glassgems.net/scribble/index.htm lots of good info there.
Tim
Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #1120
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Here's a good site for CP artists http://www.glassgems.net/scribble/index.htm lots of good info there.
Tim
Ooo! Great site!

Did you ever try the Strathmore paper? I didn't have any of their sketching/drawing paper, but I pulled out my pad of watercolor paper the other day and did some pencil work on it. Everything from plain coloring to dry blending with a blender pencil and wet blending with solvent. Very different results, but it looked really neat. I think I need to invest in a pad of regular drawing paper as well.

V