Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #841
Stampin' Fool

Question

I'm not intimidated by other people's coloring. MY problem is I am intimidated by the actual card making!

As a result, I have tons of images colored all set to go but I can't bring myself to make the whole card. And I am serious about this. I have Prismacolor colored images and also Copic images all finished.

Any suggestions for this?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #842
Kookie Creator

Yes! Participate in the sketch challenges here on SCS. Every Wednesday. Plus there are a bunch of other sketch challenges around the web! It takes A LOT of thinking out of cardmaking when you're following a sketch.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #843
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post

Here is some recent coloring o' mine, maybe some people who are extremely intimidated by the talent on here (i.e. me!) will be encouraged to share more of their work on this thread. On these, I tried to use the "blend from the outside" technique instead of "color everything and blend"
Very nice coloring and fabulous cards. The blend from the outside technique worked well for you.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #844
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty14 View Post
I'm not intimidated by other people's coloring. MY problem is I am intimidated by the actual card making!

As a result, I have tons of images colored all set to go but I can't bring myself to make the whole card. And I am serious about this. I have Prismacolor colored images and also Copic images all finished.

I'm totally with you on this. Fortunately for me my wife will put together the cards with the images I color. If she doesn't...what I do is draw the whole card and make a scene with the stamped images. I'm not good with scissors or glue or color coordinating. But I do like to draw and color! For me making scenes is the thing I like best. Give it a shot!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #845
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Very nice coloring and fabulous cards. The blend from the outside technique worked well for you.
Aw, thanks! Now I just need to practice more!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #846
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
Yes! Participate in the sketch challenges here on SCS. Every Wednesday. Plus there are a bunch of other sketch challenges around the web! It takes A LOT of thinking out of cardmaking when you're following a sketch.
I was going to say the same thing. You can download the master list of all the sketch challenges and I bet you can find one that fits any image you have!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #847
Stazon Splitcoast

Someone asked about pencils matches for the new SUP! In Colors. I don't think there are any exact matches, but these are fairly close
Crushed Curry - Yellow Ochre
Dusty Durango - Terra Cotta
Melon Mambo - Magenta
Rich Razzleberry - Black Cherry
Soft Suede - Dark Brown
Bermuda Bay - Peacock Blue

HTH.

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #848
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a correction to my last post:

A better match to the Bermuda Bay is Parrot Green.

Come check out my Gallery and leave a comment!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #849
Vintage Vixen

Here's a 2nd version of the Serendipity Adirondack chair that I colored for class tonight. The card itself is rather plain because I knew we would need more time to color this detailed image. Everyone did a great job with it!

Colored Adirondack Chair #2
Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 AM   #850
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampermomof2 View Post
I went to Hobby Lobby. They had a special case of 24 pencils for $29.99 and it included 6 more colors in a separate box for free. Then they also had all their pencils on sale 30% so I saved $9 off that. Is this a deal? I'm still trying to get the 120 off of ebay but my elementary age girls need some for their fall art class so I wanted to get them their own box so they don't touch my 120 set (if I ever win a bid!).
I finally got mine after waiting for 1 1/2 months for a refund from two fraudulent sellers on ebay - still can't believe this happened to me TWICE in a row! Oh well...I did get my refund through paypal.

If you are looking to get the set of 120 (which is what I bought)...I would recommend buying from ebay seller qurbis. Bought for a little more than I wanted ($64) but they offered free shipping and a pencil accessory set for free with purchase (you are going to end up paying that much anyway on an auction or even more not including shipping - shipping is normally $8-11). You don't have to bid since it is a Buy It Now item. I am so happy with my pencils. I have am having so much coloring digi stamp images with them.

Also, someone had also offered me a set of 120 here for $50 + shipping - brand new (you can send me a pm if you are interested and hope she still has the set).
Old 06-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #851
Mad Swapper

Smile

I haven't been here for awhile since I was waiting for my pencils for a long time...but since I got them I have created these two projects colored with prismacolor pencils blended with baby oil. Love the smell of baby oil! Works well with Georgia Pacific cardstock. If you are printing digital images, I would recommend heat setting first before coloring so there is no smearing. More deets on my blog...
Attached Thumbnails
6.7.09-home-tweet-home-al.jpg   6.7.09-home-tweet-home-birdclose-up-al.jpg   6.17.09-babydoorhanger-card-al.jpg  
Old 06-19-2009, 02:36 AM   #852
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1r601 View Post
I haven't been here for awhile since I was waiting for my pencils for a long time...but since I got them I have created these two projects colored with prismacolor pencils blended with baby oil. Love the smell of baby oil! Works well with Georgia Pacific cardstock. If you are printing digital images, I would recommend heat setting first before coloring so there is no smearing. More deets on my blog...
Very nice coloring! Glad you finally got your pencils.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 AM   #853
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Quote:

Very nice coloring.....was worth the wait, wasn't it!!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #854
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks ladies. There is so much information in this thread - I am just marking my spot so that I can find it again when I have more time. :O)
Stamping is an addiction and a therapy all rolled into one!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #855
Insane Embellisher

I finally got some projects uploaded!

Here's a recent card --- used prismas/baby oil on this one. I think it might be my best so far on the shading of dark down to barely there light.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=147639

And then this one I just colored the beak and legs --- but I blended with my pencils instead of the bo. Pretty happy with that effect too. It was easy b/c the space to color was small. Not sure I could do the same with a bigger space to color.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #856
Insane Embellisher

beautiful alma! those birds are gorgeous!!

Mr Hambo - I enjoyed your project with the theatre and stage and tutorial too!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #857
Inking Addict

Quote:

Well I am by no means an expert--I just started using Prismas a week ago. :P
But I do have a tip. Not really a solution for the images that you already have colored, but this could possibly help you in the future.
I like to pick out the papers that I want to use for my card BEFORE I color my image, and color the image to coordinate. This way I haven't put a lot of time into coloring only to find that I have nothing on hand to coordinate with it. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #858
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreeter View Post
But I do have a tip. Not really a solution for the images that you already have colored, but this could possibly help you in the future.
I like to pick out the papers that I want to use for my card BEFORE I color my image, and color the image to coordinate. This way I haven't put a lot of time into coloring only to find that I have nothing on hand to coordinate with it. Hope this helps.
Good idea. That's what my wife tries to get me to do and she always has good ideas.

Thanks Cass for the compliment! Your two cards looked great! I think I left comments.

Tim..not one of the ladies.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #859
Stampin' Fool

Thanks you for your advice but that is still not what I meant. What intimidates me is the whole idea of coming up with a layout design that is interesting and then deciding how big to make each layer so that everything fits. It's the things like, do I use a vertical strip or a horizontal one, a Nestie or not and how big does everything have to be in order to fit it on the card. I either wind up with something very plain and boring or something that would be interesting but would have to be about 12x12 in order to fit everything! The whole process drives me insane!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #860
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Thanks you for your advice but that is still not what I meant. What intimidates me is the whole idea of coming up with a layout design that is interesting and then deciding how big to make each layer so that everything fits. It's the things like, do I use a vertical strip or a horizontal one, a Nestie or not and how big does everything have to be in order to fit it on the card. I either wind up with something very plain and boring or something that would be interesting but would have to be about 12x12 in order to fit everything! The whole process drives me insane!
One thing that might help is to check out some sketches - as suggested already. But don't just look at the sketch - dive in and look at ALL the submissions that people have with that sketch. Take some time when you have several minutes and there are a bunch of uploads to look at. Go through them and see what people did with all the elements.

Know that you can adjust the sketch to fit your sizes and all. The SCS sketch here posted on Wednesday is Great b/c Roxy will give you the sizes of all the layers.

When you find a great sketch that you really like - keep it in your mind --- have a few "fall-back" sketches that you can cycle through when you aren't feeling inspired.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #861
Stampin' Fool

Thanks! I really think that is what I need, the SIZES so that everything fits on a card of reasonable size. LOL! After all, who wants a card that's 12x12!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #862
Kookie Creator

Quote:
This is what I do. I pick a group of papers I want to use for cards and then I pull pencils that coordinate. I'll color my heart out until I get tired of using those colors (usually 8 to 12 images) and the tuck away those pencils and make up my cards. Then I go in search of new paper and the whole process starts over.

It's great having a small selection of coordinating colors to work with and to know that they'll match the paper I've got picked out when I'm ready to do some card making.

V
Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #863
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

I used to have a trouble with layouts too but I finally started participating in sketch challenges and it has helped tremendously. As someone already mentioned, try out sketch challenge blogs. I was intimidated at first using sketches, but as I started to do more, I started to actually create my own interpretations of the sketch. Looking at other people's samples will also help inspire. There are alot of sketch challenge blogs out there to participate in (there are a lot!!!). I especially like Jen Del Muro's SFYTT (sketch for you to try - every Sat), Mojo Monday (every Mon), and my most favorite (and not cause I am a DT member) is Sheetloads of Cards. This is a monthly sketch ezine that shows you how to make a single card or multiple cards. It includes dimensions for every piece and samples from each DT member each month along with Beyond the Card samples using the sketch. If you enter a card or two by the end of the month, you have a chance to win a prize!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #864
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Well I am by no means an expert--I just started using Prismas a week ago. :P
Ditto! I usually pull out colors from the papers I am using.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #865
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

Quote:
I used to have a trouble with layouts too but I finally started participating in sketch challenges and it has helped tremendously. As someone already mentioned, try out sketch challenge blogs. I was intimidated at first using sketches, but as I started to do more, I started to actually create my own interpretations of the sketch. Looking at other people's samples will also help inspire. There are alot of sketch challenge blogs out there to participate in (there are a lot!!!). I especially like Jen Del Muro's SFYTT (sketch for you to try - every Sat), Mojo Monday (every Mon), and my most favorite (and not cause I am a DT member) is Sheetloads of Cards. This is a monthly sketch ezine that shows you how to make a single card or multiple cards. It includes dimensions for every piece and samples from each DT member each month along with Beyond the Card samples using the sketch. If you enter a card or two by the end of the month, you have a chance to win a prize!

Thank you for those blog suggestions! I have just subscribed to them.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #866
Rubber Obsessor

It's summer time,it gets too hot on the afternoon to be in the Liv. rm or my room. I have things copied on c/stock that I can take in my b/room to sit in front of the a/c to color. When I copy them @ Kinko's,I like Dover's clip art I give my husband a card to take w/him,then he can reduce the size on the copier. I put the card in a file when I'm finish coloring them. I have a file of colored images on my shelf when its cooler to work in my room. I look @ the colors I used in my images, the theme of the pic, to choose items for my cards when I make them up. Ex. I'm recoloring some botanical floweres from Dover since I got so many comments on them. I cut them out & made alcohol ink b/grounds to mount them on. I luv to color w/the Prism c/pencils,come back w/Prism w/colors on top of it to blend . I use q-tips to blend my colors. I use a fine brush in small areas where I want to color stay in a small space.
I tried my pastel crayons in some bigger areas, I o/lined the area 1st w/ my color pencils. It turned out interesting. The crayons worked up faster in the bigger areas,the pencils defined the area outline. I use q-tips to blend my crayons, then I can throw them away,cheap blending tool.
This saves my sanity when its too hot to move around in the house w/my asthma & too tired to read.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #867
Rubber Obsessor

Super glue works on the broken pieces of lead. That's alot better I have saved the broken pieces of lead in my box. I have in a cigar box so I can use when I'm coloring in my room. It prevents them from falling out of the case onto the floor & breaking the lead like last summer
Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #868
Rubber Obsessor

Default How would you color House Mouse marshmallows?

I have House Mouse Relaxin & Lip Smackin' . It is a stamp of Mudpie in a cup of hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows. What color/techique would you use for the white marshmallows?

Chris
Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #869
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKumar View Post
I have House Mouse Relaxin & Lip Smackin' . It is a stamp of Mudpie in a cup of hot chocolate with lots of marshmallows. What color/techique would you use for the white marshmallows?

Chris
I would use a very light off white tone, like Cream or Ginger Root lightly around the areas I want shading, then blend that out to white. You want just a touch of color to give them a little dimension.

V
Old 06-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #870
Rubber Obsessor

Default digital images?

I looked at your blog... cute cards.... where do you get the digital images to color?
(good suggestion on the marshmallows...I'll try that).
Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #871
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKumar View Post
I looked at your blog... cute cards.... where do you get the digital images to color?
(good suggestion on the marshmallows...I'll try that).
Thanks! The digital images are all from Dustin Pike. I'm on his design team.

He has an online store - http://www.doodledragondesigns.com/Digis.htm

You can also get freebies on his blog, he does some great ones weekly - http://dustinpike.blogspot.com/

V
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #872
Rubber Obsessor

Default And a question about extending color sets

If I am getting the drift from this forum, it seems that every once in awhile, Prisma issues some new colors.... are these in new 12-pencil sets?

How do you identify the sets with new colors from the old sets you might already have?

Do you keep a list of the colors you have?

C
Old 06-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #873
Rubber Obsessor

Default And, what do you do with the White pencil?

Any examples of using a white pencil?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #874
Insane Embellisher

Hey everyone!
I have a new card up today that I colored. It was my first time coloring something that should be black ---- but with a face. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I think I did okay but could definitely see room for improvement.

I used tortillions on this one instead of stumps --- the kind that seem to spiral. Not sure which I like better.

And then I had this one yesterday but I wasn't able to log on and share it:

Have a great day!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #875
Inking Addict

I went back to Office Depot today to see if they had any more of the Prisma Markers on clearance. Well, they did. I found one box of 24 count Premier markers for $9.93. They also had several boxes of the 48 count for $54. Several weeks back I bought the 120 count pencil set for $49. I still have not sharpened a single one but I am learning all about what I need to do and how to do it from this board. Thanks to all of you talented people and one day soon I will take the plunge and try to color
Pamala
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #876
Crimping Master

I received my set of 120 today and sharpened at least 20 of them with my electric pencil sharpener with no problems! I just stopped to type this but I don't think I'll have trouble sharpening them all in one swing. I bought the sharpener from Sams Club. It's a Royal Platinum Series P50. Because several of you talked about your tips breaking using electric sharpeners, I would just hold it in lightly when it starts forming the point. Not sure if it would break if I applied more pressure but didn't want a broken tip so don't want to test it.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #877
Die Cut Diva

For those of you who don't want to invest in an electric pencil sharpener, I bought a set of three manual sharpeners at Michaels in the fine art section. The brand is Art-All, they are red and come three to a pack for $2.99. They are meant for sharpening artists' pencils. They work great, much better than I expected for the price!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #878
Hardware Hotshot

I just love my prisma pencils... I hope to add more to my collection. I love reading all of the great tips on here and the links to your cards and coloring tips.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #879
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know of a comparison chart between Prismacolor Pencils and Tombow markers? I'm looking for colors for House Mouse stamps and found this on a thread by PolarGirl:
I own a 2 page step by step glossy colored guide to coloring House Mice. This was availabe by Stampa Rosa which I believe is out of business now, it came in clear plastic tube with the appropriate colors of water based markers. The guide uses Tombow markers plus a dove blender. I will list the colors of the Tombow markers here if anyone is interested:
Amanda - Tombow 985, 947, 800 and 772
Monica - Tombow N79, 800 & 772
Mudpie - Tombow 899,912,800 & 772
Maxwell - Tombow 947, 800 & 772
Muzzy - Tombow 947, N79, 800 & 772

Or . . .does anyone here have suggestions for colors for the individual mice?
Thanks!
Deb
Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #880
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray407 View Post
Or . . .does anyone here have suggestions for colors for the individual mice?
Do you already know about the tutorial on the House Mouse website? Ellen Jareckie lists a few Prismacolor numbers here: http://www.house-mouse.com/php/howtocolor.php

Each mouse is colored differently (such a clever idea!). The guide is on the Meet The Mice page: http://www.house-mouse.com/php/amanda.php

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps