Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #801
Kookie Creator

Another first attempter here! I've been hooked on this thread and I finally broke down and bought a set of prismas. I've been working with the pencils for a week now. Tonight I decided to create my first card (link below) using prismacolors and gamsol. I'm looking for some honest critique. I'm really wanting to perfect this technique as much as possible : )

Thanks in advance!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=86218
Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #802
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
I just got my Fresh Snow pad today. I had a gift certificate for PTI for mom's day, so while I paid $6.50 for shipping, I bought a few other things. I haven't done anything more than open the package just yet. I plan to play with it tonight once the kiddoes are tucked into bed. I'll let you know what I think.
Okay, this pad is so totally worth every penny! Check it out. I figured the best test was stamping on black card stock. I stamped a super cute Leanne Ellis design onto Gina K's pure lux black cardstock. It is so super crisp and white.

I am so glad I stalked PTI for 3 months to finally catch this pad in stock! I can't wait to color my girl in using Jenn's chalkboard technique with my pencils!

V
Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #803
Inking Addict

WOW. That is some amazing white ink!! Thanks so much for taking the time to show me a pic... $12.50 is a little steep, but looking VERY WORTH IT in my opinion.
Heading over to PTI to checkout now Thanks a million! ps--what is the chalkboard technique?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-13-2009, 04:54 AM   #804
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Quote:
Okay, this pad is so totally worth every penny! Check it out. I figured the best test was stamping on black card stock. I stamped a super cute Leanne Ellis design onto Gina K's pure lux black cardstock. It is so super crisp and white.

I am so glad I stalked PTI for 3 months to finally catch this pad in stock! I can't wait to color my girl in using Jenn's chalkboard technique with my pencils!

V
Love how crisp that ink is!!!! Now why don't you color it for us....I have never tried coloring on black...you?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #805
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreeter View Post
WOW. That is some amazing white ink!! Thanks so much for taking the time to show me a pic... $12.50 is a little steep, but looking VERY WORTH IT in my opinion.
Heading over to PTI to checkout now Thanks a million! ps--what is the chalkboard technique?
$12.50 was always a bit steep to me, but I planned on buying a few extras when I ordered. I got some of their new rustic cardstock and I'm really looking forward to coloring on it. It's very smooth while still looking vintage.

V
Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #806
Stazon Splitcoast

Well if you spend $55 you get FREE shipping from PTI! I am going to get that ink pad with its finally in stock and I am placing an order.. I always have no problem reaching $55! LMBO!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #807
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiscrapper View Post
Another first attempter here! I've been hooked on this thread and I finally broke down and bought a set of prismas. I've been working with the pencils for a week now. Tonight I decided to create my first card (link below) using prismacolors and gamsol. I'm looking for some honest critique. I'm really wanting to perfect this technique as much as possible : )

Thanks in advance!

Very nice first attempt! One thing everyone can always do is push the values a little more. Go darker maybe in the middle of the flower. And don't be afraid to use colors that you might think don't belong there. Feel free to use reds in grass and oranges in water..etc. Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #808
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Very nice first attempt! One thing everyone can always do is push the values a little more. Go darker maybe in the middle of the flower. And don't be afraid to use colors that you might think don't belong there. Feel free to use reds in grass and oranges in water..etc. Thanks for sharing!
Oh yes! I agree! Also, when you're doing nature items, do a google image search so you have a reference of what that item looks like in nature.

V
Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #809
Kookie Creator

Thanks for your feedback - I really appreciate it! I'll continue to practice : )
Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #810
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
First attempt? The look great! Keep them coming.

Here's one I put up tonight....Racer Boy. I'm having fun with these digital images.
That is a great card! You are a great artist.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #811
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I'm a beginner also, but IMO that card is absolutely stunning! You are doing great with the technique! As soon as I get all these pencils sharpened I am going to have to find time to play and practice. I cannot wait!!

BTW- I bought an Exacto Electric Pencil Sharpener from Wal-mart for $19.97 and it seems to be doing a great job with the sharpening. It has a heavy duty motor so it doesn't stop like the one that I borrowed from work. I am over halfway through now.....and it is still going strong.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #812
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
$12.50 was always a bit steep to me, but I planned on buying a few extras when I ordered. I got some of their new rustic cardstock and I'm really looking forward to coloring on it. It's very smooth while still looking vintage.

V
I wasn't sure if I'd like their rustic cardstock or not, so I only bought a small package...it is so yummy, I may even like it more than their regular white (although I've only done a small bit of prisma coloring on it). I will definitely be ordering some more next time, as well as some more of their kraft (here's a card I did using prismas on the kraft)
Old 06-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #813
Glitter Queen

Is there a difference between the Prismacolor watercolor pencils and their premier colored pencils insofar as the finished effect of the colors on paper? Is there a preference of one over the other and if so, why? Although I have been using watercolor pencils, both dry and wet, I am leaning towards purchasing the premier coloring pencils and am seeking opinions with which to make a decision one way or the other. Thanks.

Ballo ergo sum,
- Gitana, the Creative Diva
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #814
Rubber Obsessor

Cool Gypsi woman

II use bothe the Prism color pencila & w/color pencils together.I use the pencils for outlines & solid colors. I use the w/color pencils for areas I want to blend & shade.I really like the effect it gives, since the colors match up U can't tell where one is ,the other starts. The w/color blend in well on top of the c/pencils. They cover up any blank spots the pencils make. I luv the:-w/color pencils they are so soft & color so easily. their leads don't break like the color pencils do. I have colored some botanical c/art on c/stock & I have gotten alot of compliments on them
Old 06-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #815
Gabfest Goddess

Everyone's cards are really GREAT! TFS!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #816
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLC05 View Post
BTW- I bought an Exacto Electric Pencil Sharpener from Wal-mart for $19.97 and it seems to be doing a great job with the sharpening. It has a heavy duty motor so it doesn't stop like the one that I borrowed from work. I am over halfway through now.....and it is still going strong.
Thanks for posting that info, since I'm looking for a new sharpener. I couldn't find that item on WalMart's website. Is it like this one? http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-1818-El.../dp/B0006HVPW4

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #817
Glitter Queen

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share what has been working for me regarding broken pencils.

I carefully stick the broken lead back in, and then heat the wooden part of my pencil with my heat gun. I'm pretty careful with my aim, heating just the exposed part of the wood - not the unsharpened part, and not the tip. I also rotate the pencil as I heat it.

Just when the lead gets shiny, I turn off my heat gun and gently press on the tip of the lead until the lead cools down. Then I set my pencil aside for a while. After about 5 min, the lead has set and the pencil works just fine.

Works for me!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #818
Kookie Creator

Wow - that's a great tip! no pun intended - ha ha
thanks for sharing!!!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #819
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post
I wasn't sure if I'd like their rustic cardstock or not, so I only bought a small package...it is so yummy, I may even like it more than their regular white (although I've only done a small bit of prisma coloring on it). I will definitely be ordering some more next time, as well as some more of their kraft (here's a card I did using prismas on the kraft)
I just finished coloring up an Elisabeth Bell image from Sugar Nellie on the PTI Rustic White. While it won't replace my beloved Gina K. Pure Lux, its a really fabulous cardstock. It took color and blending beautifully. It's a bit rougher than what I usually use. It won't become my go to cardstock, but it will be a nice alternative when I need a change of pace.

V
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #820
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
Wow - that's a great tip! no pun intended - ha ha
thanks for sharing!!!
lol.....we got your point!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #821
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafts View Post
Thanks for posting that info, since I'm looking for a new sharpener. I couldn't find that item on WalMart's website. Is it like this one? http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-1818-El.../dp/B0006HVPW4
No, it looks more like this one: http://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-StandUp...082258&sr=1-13

It is vertical and it is made for heavy use.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #822
Stazon Splitcoast

Ah. Now I know what to look for. Thanks, Sherry.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Old 06-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #823
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I subscribed to this post a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to start working with prismacolor pencils. well I bought a set from ebay and should be receiving them in the next couple of days. I can't wait to start using them

Splitcoaststampers Color Challenge DT Coordinator

My Blog
Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 AM   #824
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryR917 View Post
I subscribed to this post a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to start working with prismacolor pencils. well I bought a set from ebay and should be receiving them in the next couple of days. I can't wait to start using them

Congrats! Feel free to ask any questions and have fun with them!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #825
Polyshrink Goddess

I posted another scene card I did with my Prismacolors. There's a link there to a step by step demo if you're interested. I tried using complementary colors as underpainting in it. It turned out okay...need to try one on better paper. Anyone do any cards on really good paper?

Timbo
Old 06-16-2009, 06:00 AM   #826
Kookie Creator

Quote:
I posted another scene card I did with my Prismacolors. There's a link there to a step by step demo if you're interested. I tried using complementary colors as underpainting in it. It turned out okay...need to try one on better paper. Anyone do any cards on really good paper?
Oh awesome card! I love the image. For paper, I'm a huge fan of Gina K's pure luxury stock. I just tried some of the new PTI rustic stock as well and it is also quite good. The Pure Lux is smoother, but both blend very nicely with pencil and solvent.

V
Old 06-16-2009, 06:04 AM   #827
Crimping Master

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Beautiful card...love the picture in your avatar too!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #828
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Timbo
That card is fantastic!!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #829
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Oh awesome card! I love the image. For paper, I'm a huge fan of Gina K's pure luxury stock. I just tried some of the new PTI rustic stock as well and it is also quite good. The Pure Lux is smoother, but both blend very nicely with pencil and solvent.

V
Thanks V! I'm thinking of going towards a toothier paper. We'll see.

Thanks Sherry! How's Suffolk this time of year? We went as far as Newport News a few weeks ago.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #830
Polyshrink Goddess

I've done a few posts on my blog about the Blackboard technique; it's a great technique that I learned from Karen Lockhart. You can see them here (hope it helps!):

http://createdfrompaper.blogspot.com...ue-how-to.html

http://createdfrompaper.blogspot.com...nesday_28.html

http://createdfrompaper.blogspot.com...nesday_25.html
Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #831
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennelf View Post
I've done a few posts on my blog about the Blackboard technique; it's a great technique that I learned from Karen Lockhart. You can see them here (hope it helps!):
I've been reading up. I just haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

V
Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #832
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

That is a cool look. TFS!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #833
Die Cut Diva

Sharing a couple more examples of coloring from a newbie.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=30808
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=30808
Old 06-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #834
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper1996 View Post
You're doing great!! They look very nice!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #835
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Thanks V! I'm thinking of going towards a toothier paper. We'll see.

Thanks Sherry! How's Suffolk this time of year? We went as far as Newport News a few weeks ago.
It's pretty good here. How about Richmond? You are probably only a little over an hour from me.

I am working a card that I used my pencils on. I used Gamsol but I think the next card I made I will try baby oil. As soon as I get it finished I will post it. I am so excited over these darn pencils- I wish I had more time to play!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #836
Glitter Queen

I just picked up a Prismacolor colorless blender to work with my colored pencils. I don't find that it does a heckuva lot in blending or shading colors, at least its nothing like using a solvent blender like gamsol. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 AM   #837
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsiwoman View Post
I just picked up a Prismacolor colorless blender to work with my colored pencils. I don't find that it does a heckuva lot in blending or shading colors, at least its nothing like using a solvent blender like gamsol. Am I doing something wrong?
It's a very different process; I use my blender pencil more than solvents, but others don't care for it. I've done a little blurb about the blender pencil, too, on my blog; you can see it here:
http://createdfrompaper.blogspot.com...s-blender.html
Old 06-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #838
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
That card is amazing! Thanks for the step by step instructions on your blog. I am going to have to try layering with complimentary colors!
Old 06-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #839
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
It's a very different process; I use my blender pencil more than solvents, but others don't care for it. I've done a little blurb about the blender pencil, too, on my blog; you can see it here:
http://createdfrompaper.blogspot.com...s-blender.html
Nice tutorial. Had no idea they had two blender pencils. I've only seen the colorless one. I don't use my blender much anymore..don't know why really. When I blend I use another colored pencil usually.

Hi Sherry. Richmond is fine and it's not crazy hot........ yet.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #840
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

V
I think I'm going to try Pure Luxury out soon! (Have to wait until at least July because of stupid Dave Ramsey! )

Here is some recent coloring o' mine, maybe some people who are extremely intimidated by the talent on here (i.e. me!) will be encouraged to share more of their work on this thread. On these, I tried to use the "blend from the outside" technique instead of "color everything and blend"

Ship colored on PTI Rustic White

Brown Hamster on PTI white

Dog & Hat on PTI white