Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #761
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreeter View Post
I've been reading this thread for days now and finally just got through it all. PHEW!

Now here is my question: I just ordered the 48 ct off of ebay for $20 shipped...I haven't even gotten it yet but last night was reading something about Office Depot having some Prismas on clearance, so I gave my local (well sort of local) Store a call, and they have a 120 ct on clearance for $49.92! SO I have never really colored before--definately not talented like any of you girls/guys on here. But love what I am seeing done with prismas!
I am wondering if it would be worth investing the extra $30 on the larger set, or should I just stick with the smaller 48 ct and see where it goes from there??
Get the big set! That is a great price! You can always sell off the 48 count.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #762
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I've been reading this thread for days now and finally just got through it all. PHEW!

Now here is my question: I just ordered the 48 ct off of ebay for $20 shipped...I haven't even gotten it yet but last night was reading something about Office Depot having some Prismas on clearance, so I gave my local (well sort of local) Store a call, and they have a 120 ct on clearance for $49.92! SO I have never really colored before--definately not talented like any of you girls/guys on here. But love what I am seeing done with prismas!
I am wondering if it would be worth investing the extra $30 on the larger set, or should I just stick with the smaller 48 ct and see where it goes from there??
Definitely invest!!!!! You will want all those colors and its a GREAT price! Thats how I got all my pencils too!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #763
Kookie Creator

Quote:

One of the things we repeatedly tell people is to buy the largest set you can possibly afford. No one has come back yet to tell us they've regretted it! If you can afford it and it makes sense to you, then definitely go for it!

V
Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #764
Rubber Obsessor

Newbie question here. If you use baby oil instead of gamsol to blend, does it not leave an oily spot on your paper?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #765
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharan View Post
Newbie question here. If you use baby oil instead of gamsol to blend, does it not leave an oily spot on your paper?
As long as you don't use too much, you won't have a problem. Get a small jar or plastic container. Place a square of felt or cotton batting in the bottom of your container. Pour a bit of baby oil onto the felt/batting. You don't want baby oil swimming the container. Just enough to soak into the felt/batting. Now you're set and ready to blend. Press your stumps against the baby oil soaked felt/batting until just a bit absorbs into the stump and then use it to blend. Your cards will smell faintly of baby oil, but you shouldn't have any oily spots or smudges!

V
Old 06-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #766
Glitter Queen

Default Breaking pencil leads

[What can you do if the leads keep breaking on your prisma pencils? I bought the set of 120 and have only sharpened about 15 so far and on about half of those when I go to use them the leads pull out of the hole. It is frustrating because these are not cheap pencils and it seems so wasteful.[/quote]

Are you using an electric or battery operated pencil sharpener? Those devices are meant to sharpen hard graphite lead pencils. In addition, after you have sharpened 2-3 pencils, the machine heats up to the point where it softens the lead on a wax pencil, causing it to break. This was explained to me by a Prismacolor representative who is also a working artist and uses the pencils herself.

Softer pencils should be sharpened by hand because it is gentler on the lead. However I understand when you have a set of 120 pencils, hand sharpening isn't an appealing option. Here's a compromise. Sharpen your pencils 3/4 of the way by machine, then complete sharpening by hand. Remember to allow the electric sharpener to cool off after 3 - 5 pencils or you will melt the wax.

Hope this helps.

- Gitana, the Creative Diva
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #767
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsiwoman View Post
Softer pencils should be sharpened by hand because it is gentler on the lead. However I understand when you have a set of 120 pencils, hand sharpening isn't an appealing option. Here's a compromise. Sharpen your pencils 3/4 of the way by machine, then complete sharpening by hand. Remember to allow the electric sharpener to cool off after 3 - 5 pencils or you will melt the wax.
I understand you can tuck them in the freezer and let them sit a bit to harden the leads for sharpening. I haven't done it though. I sharpened all mine by hand...with a blister on my thumb to show for it.

V
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #768
Yorkshire Tea Mingler
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
with a blister on my thumb to show for it.

V
Goodness! I bought a set from Michaels and about 1/3 of them had broken leads so I returned them. The guy helping me told me to sharpen them with an X-Acto knife, or hobby blade, it's not as difficult as it sounds and it's kinder to the pencils.
My SCS Gallery

Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #769
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma F View Post
Goodness! I bought a set from Michaels and about 1/3 of them had broken leads so I returned them. The guy helping me told me to sharpen them with an X-Acto knife, or hobby blade, it's not as difficult as it sounds and it's kinder to the pencils.
I've actually even used my sanding block when I just needed a sharper point on my pencil.

V
Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #770
Polyshrink Goddess

FYI I just saw my email from Dick Blick. They have the 12 new colors on sale for 10.99.
"Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted, but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known." Garrison Keiller
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #771
Inking Addict

Thumbs up

Quote:
One of the things we repeatedly tell people is to buy the largest set you can possibly afford. No one has come back yet to tell us they've regretted it! If you can afford it and it makes sense to you, then definitely go for it!

V
okay, so I might regret this, but I opted to stick with my original order of 48. MOST of the reason being that I happened to go into the college bookstore today (yes, there is a college in my little po-dunk town hehe) and they had PRISMACOLOR pencils for 25 cents a piece or a bag of 20 random colors for $5! I figured it doesn't get much better than that! They didn't have a very large variety, but I ended up with 40+ pencils that aren't in my 48 set for $10. yay! There are still some I want, so I'll probably go back soon...I sat there on the floor in the store for like, an hour sifting through colored pencils--the lady was like, "Ummm, can I help you with something?!" She probably thinks I'm crazy, and it will probably be embarrassing to go back, but worth it I'm sure.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #772
Inking Addict

I forgot to mention that they had a small selection of the deco colors (if I remember right)
pink, peach, aqua, orange....I believe (??) I can go back and check if anyone is interested I will ship for a small fee.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #773
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to cvansluys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharan View Post
I like the baby oil much better than OMS for blending. And I accidentally spilled one very large drop on an image I was coloring....got mad, then set it aside....a few days later I went back and found that there was no longer a spot on my project ;->
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #774
Kookie Creator

Quote:
okay, so I might regret this, but I opted to stick with my original order of 48. MOST of the reason being that I happened to go into the college bookstore today (yes, there is a college in my little po-dunk town hehe) and they had PRISMACOLOR pencils for 25 cents a piece or a bag of 20 random colors for $5! I figured it doesn't get much better than that! They didn't have a very large variety, but I ended up with 40+ pencils that aren't in my 48 set for $10. yay! There are still some I want, so I'll probably go back soon...I sat there on the floor in the store for like, an hour sifting through colored pencils--the lady was like, "Ummm, can I help you with something?!" She probably thinks I'm crazy, and it will probably be embarrassing to go back, but worth it I'm sure.
Sounds like you did great! You can't beat a deal like that!!

V
Old 06-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #775
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
oh how kool., I should ask my friends if they sell any at their school
Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #776
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsiwoman View Post
[What can you do if the leads keep breaking on your prisma pencils? I bought the set of 120 and have only sharpened about 15 so far and on about half of those when I go to use them the leads pull out of the hole. It is frustrating because these are not cheap pencils and it seems so wasteful.
Are you using an electric or battery operated pencil sharpener? Those devices are meant to sharpen hard graphite lead pencils. In addition, after you have sharpened 2-3 pencils, the machine heats up to the point where it softens the lead on a wax pencil, causing it to break. This was explained to me by a Prismacolor representative who is also a working artist and uses the pencils herself.

Hope this helps.

- Gitana, the Creative Diva[/quote]

If your prismas were dropped during shipping then you will have broken leads - awful, but it happens

Since I started using a $10 electric pencil sharpener I have very few broken leads. It has never "over heated when sharpeing several pencils at a time. In a pinch, I'll use the silver metal pencil sharpener.

If you have the Prisma pencil sharpener, throw it away! It broke way too many leads.

When sharpening by hand, you can twist to hard and torque the pencil to the degree where you shred the wood and break the lead.

I tried microwaving the pencil to melt the lead and all it did was melt the paint on the outside of the pencil so it was all bumby!

Freezing the lead didn't help if the lead was broken - it won't seal it back up.

IMHO - Overall, buy an electric sharpener.

One last thing - watch how much pressure you put on the lead. I learned from in a class to hold the pencil more upright so the pressure is put more directly on the lead instead of an angle.

I may not be a professional artist, but I've been using the pencils for years and I hardly ever have a broken lead any more. HTH
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #777
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 View Post
Since I started using a $10 electric pencil sharpener I have very few broken leads. It has never "over heated when sharpeing several pencils at a time. In a pinch, I'll use the silver metal pencil sharpener.

If you have the Prisma pencil sharpener, throw it away! It broke way too many leads.

When sharpening by hand, you can twist to hard and torque the pencil to the degree where you shred the wood and break the lead.
One thing I love about forums is seeing everyones experiences and how they differ from person to person. I tried two different electric sharpeners and all I got was chewed up pencils. I ended up just sharpening all of mine by hand with the little silver sharpener that came in the package. It's the best thing I've found. You do great with electrics and I've read in pencil art forums where people just rave about the bullet shaped sharpener from Prismacolor.

V
Old 06-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #778
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep.. different strokes for different folks! I didnt want to have to sharpen all of the 120 by hand so I bought a battery operated sharpener. I must have lucked out with a great batch of pencils because I did about 3/4 of them and my batteries started to die.. so I finished off sharpening them by hand. Both ways worked great and I didnt break a SINGLE one! I was amazed!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #779
Pearl-ExPert

Default Great card!

Flipping though cards this morning and found this card. It is just a gorgeous example of gamsol magic!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...31564?cat=6883
Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #780
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvansluys View Post
Flipping though cards this morning and found this card. It is just a gorgeous example of gamsol magic!!

WOWZERS!!! BEAUITFUL card indeed!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #781
Pearl-ExPert

Has anyone figured out which Prismacolors are the new In-Colors yet? I would love to know....hint, hint......
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #782
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

OMG--that is outstanding! Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #783
Vintage Vixen

I went to a garage sale this morning whose ad listed "Stamping and Scrapbooking" as the first item. Many items still had the original price tags on them from a stamping and scrapping store that had gone out of business here a couple of years ago. The gal told me she had bought everything at an auction and was trying to make back her money.

Anyway, she only had a few colors of Prisma pencils. I bought a "metallic blue" (#1049) for 20 cents. She also had a black cherry which I didn't buy because I thought I already had that color. But I got home, checked my list, and I don't have it so for 20 cents, I just may go back for it! LOL! The garage sale is only about 3 blocks away so it's not as if I'm burning up a lot of time or gas to get there.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #784
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
I went to a garage sale this morning whose ad listed "Stamping and Scrapbooking" as the first item. Many items still had the original price tags on them from a stamping and scrapping store that had gone out of business here a couple of years ago. The gal told me she had bought everything at an auction and was trying to make back her money.

Anyway, she only had a few colors of Prisma pencils. I bought a "metallic blue" (#1049) for 20 cents. She also had a black cherry which I didn't buy because I thought I already had that color. But I got home, checked my list, and I don't have it so for 20 cents, I just may go back for it! LOL! The garage sale is only about 3 blocks away so it's not as if I'm burning up a lot of time or gas to get there.
Black cherry is a fave of mine, so I think you should definitely go back!

(Is your avatar a Cardigan corgi? If so, I have its twin!)
Old 06-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #785
Kookie Creator

Wow - her card is amazing!
check out THIS one!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #786
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennelf View Post
Black cherry is a fave of mine, so I think you should definitely go back!

(Is your avatar a Cardigan corgi? If so, I have its twin!)
...tee hee...

I love that color too, which is why I figured I already had it.

So anyway, I went back and bought the black cherry PLUS....

I got a set of 36 Derwent watercolor pencils for $11. Dick Blick currently sells this set for $33.35. Only a few colors have been used, and not much at that.

And a brand new, still in the package, Fiskars border punch.

P.S. My avatar is Spud. He's not my dog, but I covet him immensely.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #787
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

You will love the Derwent WC pencils...I use mine all the time and the colors are so creamy. That set will last you forever - great deal!

I am feeling a little Prisma-guilty but I got my set of Neopiko markers yesterday and had some fun with them last night...swore at one time I would never 'do' markers......

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #788
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Wonderful card! TFS

Yard sales can be a great place to pick up art supplies!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #789
Insane Embellisher

I have a set of 12 LYRA Skin Tones pencils that is really great...range for light skin tone, browns up to black. The number on the packaging is D-90101 ART.Nr. 3931124 / 934W12 Grace
Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #790
Insane Embellisher

Your package may have been dropped and the leads broken inside. If you contact Prismacolor and tell them of your problem they may replace the ones you're having problems with...they did that for a friend of mine.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #791
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post

Yard sales can be a great place to pick up art supplies!
I found out that my friend Kim had been to the same garage sale earlier in the morning and bought a bunch of loose Prisma pencils. LOL!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #792
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
Wow - her card is amazing!
check out THIS one!
BEAUTIFUL CARD!!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #793
Watercolor Wizard

OK...I just have to share! I broke down today and bought the 120 ct. at Michael's with my 50% off coupon. I can't believe I spent that much, but I am so excited! Now, what to do with my 24ct set that I already had?? LOL.

On the sharpening note, I used my electric sharpener from work (my boss let me bring it home) and it worked great. I did have to let it cool down after 3 or 4 pencils but that was because of its motor, not because it did anything to the pencil itself. I kind of worried that I might have worn it out......but since we don't use that many pencils at work it will be a while before anyone realizes it if I did.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:46 AM   #794
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLC05 View Post
... I broke down today and bought the 120 ct. at Michael's with my 50% off coupon. I can't believe I spent that much, but I am so excited! ...
Good for you! You're going to really enjoy them. Have fun.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 AM   #795
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLC05 View Post
OK...I just have to share! I broke down today and bought the 120 ct. at Michael's with my 50% off coupon. I can't believe I spent that much, but I am so excited! Now, what to do with my 24ct set that I already had?? LOL.

On the sharpening note, I used my electric sharpener from work (my boss let me bring it home) and it worked great. I did have to let it cool down after 3 or 4 pencils but that was because of its motor, not because it did anything to the pencil itself. I kind of worried that I might have worn it out......but since we don't use that many pencils at work it will be a while before anyone realizes it if I did.
Oh have fun!!!!!!!! Glad to know you can use an electric sharpener!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #796
Inking Addict

Default PTI Fresh Snow ink

Quote:
From what I understand the PTI Fresh Snow pad is excellent. It's biggest problem...it's perpetually out of stock. I'm hoping it shows up in stock about the same time as my birthday pennies.

V
Does anybody have any personal experience with the Fresh Snow ink? I noticed that it is in stock over at PTI, but don't know if it's worth $12 (after shipping) for one ink pad?! I'd be more apt to buy if I KNEW it was a great white ink.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #797
Crimping Master

I had the 120 set on 'watch'. I never bid but was offered a "2nd chance offer" because nobody bid (probably because there was a buy now option and the price was over $100 if you 'buy now'). The offer was $62 plus free shipping and I accepted it! Hope it comes in good condition and that it's in a tin! He had 100% positives so I think I will be a happy customer .
I went to Michaels today and used my 50% coupon to get OMS (Mona Lisa) so I am ready when it comes!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #798
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Does anybody have any personal experience with the Fresh Snow ink? I noticed that it is in stock over at PTI, but don't know if it's worth $12 (after shipping) for one ink pad?! I'd be more apt to buy if I KNEW it was a great white ink.
I just got my Fresh Snow pad today. I had a gift certificate for PTI for mom's day, so while I paid $6.50 for shipping, I bought a few other things. I haven't done anything more than open the package just yet. I plan to play with it tonight once the kiddoes are tucked into bed. I'll let you know what I think.

V
Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #799
Die Cut Diva

Ok, I got my Prismas yesterday and here are my first attempts at coloring. I used Goo Gone to blend. What do you all think?

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=30808

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #800
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper1996 View Post
Ok, I got my Prismas yesterday and here are my first attempts at coloring. I used Goo Gone to blend. What do you all think?

First attempt? The look great! Keep them coming.

Here's one I put up tonight....Racer Boy. I'm having fun with these digital images.