Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #41
Glitter Guru

I love my Prismas, both the markers and the pencils! They are fabulous and inexpensive, too!

I use Versafine Onyx and Sepia inks with my markers and pencils. I prefer the Strathmore Bristol Vellum cardstock that you can buy in pads at places like Michael's in the art department. It's a heavy cardstock (not vellum like see-through vellum), and it holds the colors well.

Here are my marker faves:

blues: Brittany Blue, Sky Blue Light, Muted Turquoise, cold stone, and light cerulean blue

yellows: goldenrod, jasmine, cream, tulip yellow, canary yellow

greens: light and dark olive, lime green, green tea, avocado, srping green, spearmint

reds: crimson red, tuscan red, flagstone red,

pinks: deco pink and blsuh pink, light peach

browns: I have so many! I use them all the time...especially mocha light and dark, cinnamon toast, oatmeal, sand, blondwood, sienna brown, walnut, light umber, putty

other must haves: mineral orange, terra cotta, burnt ochre, grayed lavendar, periwinkle

With the markers, I've found that the lighter colors work best, as you can do more layering and build up the colors for darker or lighter shades.

I use my prismacolor pencils with goo gone and the colorless blender stick, and it works great!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #42
Postapalooza Mama

Send a message via AIM to maryp Send a message via Yahoo to maryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrose View Post
I love my Prismas, both the markers and the pencils! They are fabulous and inexpensive, too!

I use Versafine Onyx and Sepia inks with my markers and pencils. I prefer the Strathmore Bristol Vellum cardstock that you can buy in pads at places like Michael's in the art department. It's a heavy cardstock (not vellum like see-through vellum), and it holds the colors well.

Here are my marker faves:

blues: Brittany Blue, Sky Blue Light, Muted Turquoise, cold stone, and light cerulean blue

yellows: goldenrod, jasmine, cream, tulip yellow, canary yellow

greens: light and dark olive, lime green, green tea, avocado, srping green, spearmint

reds: crimson red, tuscan red, flagstone red,

pinks: deco pink and blsuh pink, light peach

browns: I have so many! I use them all the time...especially mocha light and dark, cinnamon toast, oatmeal, sand, blondwood, sienna brown, walnut, light umber, putty

other must haves: mineral orange, terra cotta, burnt ochre, grayed lavendar, periwinkle

With the markers, I've found that the lighter colors work best, as you can do more layering and build up the colors for darker or lighter shades.

I use my prismacolor pencils with goo gone and the colorless blender stick, and it works great!
I love my prismacolor pencils! I've never been able to find deco pink. Do you have that color in the prisma marker?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #43
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Prismacolor also has a portrait set which was loaded with those same colors, plus others I would expect for hair and eyes. Again, I've got the colors in my set, but it did point me towards colors to try.

The set included:

Indigo Blue PC901, Cream PC914, Light Peach PC927, Blush Pink PC928
Pink PC929, Tuscan Red PC937, White PC938, Peach PC939
Sand PC940, Light Umber PC941, Yellow Ochre PC942, Burnt Ochre PC943
Terra Cotta PC944, Sienna Brown PC945, Dark Brown PC946, Dark Umber PC947
Beige PC997, Salmon PC1001, Jasmine PC1012, Clay Rose PC1017
Pink Rose PC1018, Rosey Beige PC1019, Henna PC1031, Goldenrod PC1034

I think I'm going to see if I can find some portrait images in clip art to print off and play with for color tones.

V
Thankyou so much for posting this. I wrote all the names of the colors down and went out and bought the individual colors. We have a local art supply store that ROCKS! they carry all the colors of prisma pencils. I started with Michael's first but, could kick myself in the head for not going to the art store first! I could have saved more money. These colors are awesome too btw! I already had like 8 of the colors already in my collection but, thanks to you, I was able to add the ones that I was missing. So I appreciate it!!
proud fan club member
Old 04-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #44
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbybubbles View Post
Thankyou so much for posting this. I wrote all the names of the colors down and went out and bought the individual colors. We have a local art supply store that ROCKS! they carry all the colors of prisma pencils. I started with Michael's first but, could kick myself in the head for not going to the art store first! I could have saved more money. These colors are awesome too btw! I already had like 8 of the colors already in my collection but, thanks to you, I was able to add the ones that I was missing. So I appreciate it!!
Glad I could help! I'm really looking forward to sitting down and making a sample/reference card for skin tones. I just have to find the time somewhere!

V
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #45
Kookie Creator

V- Thanks for starting this thread! I just ordered my first Prismas today and can't wait to play with them. This thread answered a lot of my questions. (So, baby oil is really okay to use instead of OMS/Gamsol?)
Diane- I loved your tutorial! It got me so excited to give it a try! You are very talented!!
TFS everyone!!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
Old 04-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #46
Insane Embellisher

So glad you started this. I've subscribed so that I can come back when my brain is not so dead and read through.

But I love using my pencils and baby oil. And while I see great results with the copics, I don't have much luck with them. I have a few browns that I got to try --- so for me, perfecting this method is so much easier. I get better results, already had the pencils (although I need to fill out my colors) and love the look of them! I just got a colored pencil technique book that I am wanting to start working with soon!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #47
Matboard Maniac

V--

Your coloring is fab!!! I have a question, though--do you color and blend with just the pencils or do you use OMS?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #48
Polyshrink Goddess

Glad to see a thread started on this! I've been using Prismacolor pencils for a year now, with the Mona Lisa brand of OMS. LOVE LOVE LOVE the technique! I am such a coloring nut--and these are SOOOOOO addictive!

Favorite ink to stamp with: Palette Noir
Favorite paper to stamp on: Beckett Expression Iceberg
Old 04-05-2009, 07:48 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I don't know that I get "awesome" results, but I'm pretty happy with the ones I get. I start by lightly coloring in the pants entirely with the lightest color. I blend that out so it's smooth. I'll then go in with my darkest color and pencil in the areas that are shadowed. I usually go fairly heavily here and then blend from the darkest shadow to the lightest. I'll then go back in with my mid-tone and hit areas that I want darker, but not shadowed. Occasionally, after all that, I'll go back with my lightest tone fairly heavily over my highlights and then blend out.

Now these are dragons, not denim, but they're a good example of what I'm talking about. The top dragon is shaded out with 3 tones of yellow and orange, while the bottom dragon is actually shaded out with 3 tones of orange and red, plus an additional layer of Burnt Umber.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...> hatched.jpg

It really isn't as much work as it sounds. Normally, when I'm working on an image, I'll start by completely coloring it with all my light tones. When I'm ready to pull out my baby oil, then I start working on my shading.

Keep in mind that everyone's technique and style varies. Try different things until you figure out what works best for you!

V
HOLY SMOKES, girlfriend, you're good!!
My A Muse Studio
Old 04-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #50
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDstamper View Post
V- Thanks for starting this thread! I just ordered my first Prismas today and can't wait to play with them. This thread answered a lot of my questions. (So, baby oil is really okay to use instead of OMS/Gamsol?)
Diane- I loved your tutorial! It got me so excited to give it a try! You are very talented!!
TFS everyone!!
Good for you jamie! I'll tell ya....it takes PATIENCE at first IMO. It's trial and error sometimes but, once you get it...you'll know b/c it just starts coming together. Let us know when you get them and can see some samples.
proud fan club member
Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #51
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb0 View Post
V--

Your coloring is fab!!! I have a question, though--do you color and blend with just the pencils or do you use OMS?
Thanks for the compliments girls!! I blend with baby oil. I've got a 3 year old and a 1 year old running loose. OMS is completely out of the question!

It seems from blogs and stuff I've read that OMS blends better so I did some searching online for something less toxic to my littles. I did find an OMS alternative called Zest It which is listed as non-toxic and biodegradable. The down side is that it's only available through the UK. I finally broke down and ordered a 250 ml bottle and spent more in international shipping than I did for the bottle. I HATE that! I'm really hoping it's worth it.

Even with a non-toxic labeling, I'm still going to be particularly psychotic about where my blending jar is sitting when the kids are free range. Of course, that's good practice even for my baby oil. They need to know that mama's toys are OFF LIMITS. They're pretty good with those terms already, but even so. It pays to be careful!

I'll let you all know what I think of it when it arrives.

V
Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #52
Kookie Creator

Another question from a Prisma newbie.... I just purchased a Mona Lisa brand Paint Thinner, because on the back it said that it is 100% odorless mineral spirits. Is this the right thing? I like the idea of baby oil, too, because I also have little ones at home. Does it work just as well as the OMS? Thanks for your help as I try to get started...you Prisma Queens are the best!!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #53
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Another question from a Prisma newbie.... I just purchased a Mona Lisa brand Paint Thinner, because on the back it said that it is 100% odorless mineral spirits. Is this the right thing? I like the idea of baby oil, too, because I also have little ones at home. Does it work just as well as the OMS? Thanks for your help as I try to get started...you Prisma Queens are the best!!
Yes, the mona lisa brand is odorless mineral spirits. This is what I use with my blender stumps. I find the blender stumps that I bought at Michael's don't work as smoothly as the ones I ordered from Gina K. IMO. HTH!
proud fan club member
Old 04-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #54
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Yep, you got the right thing! Gamsol is just a brand name for OMS. I haven't used OMS so I don't know if it's better or not. From some posts I've read, some people seem to think so though.

V
Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #55
Rubber Obsessor

Hi guys. I am new to this and I am getting ready to order my pencils. I would love to know the count everyone bought so I can decide. I am not shading or blending just coloring.

Thanks,
Candie
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #56
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

Quote:
TFS everyone!!
Jamie~

I'm glad you liked my tutorial. I love sharing my knowledge of this coloring method. I personally love it!!

Also, I first started with the OMS and the results are the same. Although it is odorless, I still got headaches from it and it is flammable. Too scary for me since I take my coloring stuff camping with me all the time.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 AM   #57
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug4233 View Post
Hi guys. I am new to this and I am getting ready to order my pencils. I would love to know the count everyone bought so I can decide. I am not shading or blending just coloring.

Thanks,
Candie
Candie~

I was talking to you on another thread. You are still trying to decide on what size set to buy. I have a set of 120. I was afraid of loving it and not having a big enough set, so I did it right the first time and bought the big one. There is a set of 132 available through Dick Blick but it works out to be cheaper to buy the set of 120 and the set of 12 new colors. Another option, if you have the patience, is to bid on a set on eBay.

But if a set of 120 is too expensive, get whichever set fits into your budget plus buy a couple of individual grays (grays are not included in sets smaller than 72). I would recommend Cool Gray 30% and Warm Gray 50%. I use them for outlining below the image to make a shadow.

Diane
Old 04-06-2009, 04:18 AM   #58
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Thanks,
Candie
I started out with a 48 many years ago (my mom, an artist, gave them to me as a Christmas gift). I've added sets of 12 (the new colors) as they have come out, and add individual ones from there. They're a wonderful investment. HTH.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #59
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Thanks,
Candie
Hi Candie;

I think all of us pretty much agree that the best thing to do is to buy the largest set you can possibly afford and then add colors as you find you need them. I bought the 120 and I'm picking up the 12 new ones as part of my birthday money this month.

V
Old 04-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #60
Kookie Creator

We've drifted down to page three in the posts, so time to up the chatter again!

Did you color this weekend?

I experimented with backgrounds around my images, highlighting and shading. I'm pleased with the shading and shadow work on the "ground", but the highlighting still isn't my friend. Tell me how you highlight and shade around your images!

V
Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I bought the 120 and it suppose to be here Wednesday. YEAH!!!

Candie
Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #62
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. I bought the 120 and it suppose to be here Wednesday. YEAH!!!

Candie
Now the fun begins, sharpening them! I grabbed a bowl and a manual pencil sharpener and did a tray a night, or until my finger cramped. It's a good thing to do while watching TV. I know that you will be very happy with your purchase!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #63
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
We've drifted down to page three in the posts, so time to up the chatter again!

Did you color this weekend?

I experimented with backgrounds around my images, highlighting and shading. I'm pleased with the shading and shadow work on the "ground", but the highlighting still isn't my friend. Tell me how you highlight and shade around your images!

V
I color all the time. I usually color a few images a night while watching TV. Then on nights like tonight when my DH is out, I turn them into cards. My goal is to make four (or more) cards tonight. I'll post them in my gallery when they are done!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #64
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

Hey girls! I found this thread and thought I would jump in. I LOVE prismas and chatting, lol.....
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #65
Die Cut Diva

Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby or Michaels carries the large set?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #66
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

Ellibelle Michaels does tend to carry the large sets but sometimes it's hard to get with a coupon because they are on sale. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #67
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been following this and guess it is time to jump in and admit I am clueless about a couple of aspects of the technique. I have been using an aqua brush and watercolor pencils - am feeling a bit disappointed because the cs often "buckles" because it gets damp. Does this happen with Prismas and OMS?
one of my other questions - when using OMS - do you just dip the stump into the liquid and gently rub over the previously colored area? Sorry, I simply have not quite got this aspect figured out.
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 04-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

If you are patient I would suggest trying to win an auction on Ebay. I got the 120 set for $52.00. Can you believe that. New in sealed package. I did lose 3 auctions before I finally won. This is a steal. I saw many more listed and many were under $40.00 at the present time. It is a great way to go if you can be patient.
Blessings.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #69
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
I have been following this and guess it is time to jump in and admit I am clueless about a couple of aspects of the technique. I have been using an aqua brush and watercolor pencils - am feeling a bit disappointed because the cs often "buckles" because it gets damp. Does this happen with Prismas and OMS?
one of my other questions - when using OMS - do you just dip the stump into the liquid and gently rub over the previously colored area? Sorry, I simply have not quite got this aspect figured out.
That's right Dorothy. I personally use baby oil because I get headaches from OMS. I put a small square of felt into a covered container (the cheapo ones) and put a few drops of baby oil onto the felt. Then I dab my blending stump onto the felt to pick up a little bit of baby oil and go over the area I just colored with my pencils. You should see the pencils lines disappear (unless it is a light color). You should also color your area throughly since OMS or baby oil does not spread the color like it does with watercolor pencils. When I am done coloring, I just replace the cover on the container and it is ready to use again next time. Does this make sense? I hope so.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #70
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuseless View Post
I color all the time. I usually color a few images a night while watching TV. Then on nights like tonight when my DH is out, I turn them into cards. My goal is to make four (or more) cards tonight. I'll post them in my gallery when they are done!
I do the same thing! I color like crazy whenever I get a spare minute or two and then on the nights or weekends when the DH is at the fire station, I make up the finished images into cards. Mine just end up on my blog though. That way I can be chatty about them when I post them.

V
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #71
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuseless View Post
That's right Dorothy. I personally use baby oil because I get headaches from OMS. I put a small square of felt into a covered container (the cheapo ones) and put a few drops of baby oil onto the felt. Then I dab my blending stump onto the felt to pick up a little bit of baby oil and go over the area I just colored with my pencils. You should see the pencils lines disappear (unless it is a light color). You should also color your area throughly since OMS or baby oil does not spread the color like it does with watercolor pencils. When I am done coloring, I just replace the cover on the container and it is ready to use again next time. Does this make sense? I hope so.
Thanks for the details, Diane. I did look at your tutorial - I like the results.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #72
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
Hi Dorothy;

For getting started, I'd recommend checking out Gina K's video on the technique over on Stamp TV

Another great step by step photo tutorial is on Diane's blog.

These should get you jump started!

V
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #73
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellibelle View Post
Our M's had the 120 ct set the other day when I called, but their regular price on it is $189.99. Even with a coupon, I wasn't going to pay that. I agree with Amber...check ebay. I just bought a set for $67 after shipping. Much better....
Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 AM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi Dorothy;

For getting started, I'd recommend checking out Gina K's video on the technique over on Stamp TV

Another great step by step photo tutorial is on Diane's blog.

These should get you jump started!.

V
Thanks. That video is very helpful.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #75
Embossing Fanatic

i guess i just can't sit here.....i was just cking out copic compared to prisma.....didn't
realize i wanted pencils ! thanks S C S for this really G R E A T site !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just became SU DEMO before end of march!!
SU classes saved my "life" in june 2007 after suddenly losing my only son.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #76
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Our M's had the 120 ct set the other day when I called, but their regular price on it is $189.99. Even with a coupon, I wasn't going to pay that. I agree with Amber...check ebay. I just bought a set for $67 after shipping. Much better....
Good luck!
Heck, you can get them from Amazon for $79.49, plus $5.99 shipping. That beats your Mike's hands down! I got mine for $65 and was pretty pleased, but mostly because I got to use some Amazon GCs I had hanging out.

Patience and eBay sounds about the best route!

V
Old 04-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #77
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellibelle View Post
They both do.. I got mine at Mike's for 50% off using a coupon... Check out the easter coupons they should have a 50 then.. make sure they're not on sale though... I love mine and keep them on my dest in a cute little container I made using my dryel packaging. You can find it in my gallery. My mike's had the large set for $129.99 regular price and I got it 50% off with my coupon so I only paid $65. plus tax.

HOOAH! It's an Army Thing...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #78
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to steph772

Michelle, your pencil holder is very cute! Did you put modpodge on it to make it more sturdy? Does it have any dividing sections?
Im really wanting something with dividers for my pencils. At least to divide like pinks yellows, blue purples greens, and maybe black browns? Im not sure what I want! I know I want them divided somehow to make it easier to see what colors I have.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #79
Insane Embellisher

Hi everyone!
I posted a card today using this technique on my blog. I'd love for you to check it out. I know that I have always thought it kinda wierd to leave a white space - so I like constant color. But I think my shading could be better. Would LOVE critique on that - please, please be honest - I can take it and it's the only way I'll get better!!

As for shading, I don't normally. I usually use a light grey copic marker and just outline the image. But I didn't do that on this one and I doubt I'll go back and add it in.

As for storage, I have mine in a Pampered Chef turny thing. Colors are grouped together - except for my metallics, they are all grouped together - but I'm trying to decide if I want to intermix them with the others. I got the color chart printed off today - THANK YOU for whoever did that and will work on seeing exactly what colors I have so I can fill in missing gaps. I do have a fairly large set that was hubby's from his days in college as an advertising student. Crazy that back then it was all done by hand - and today he designs completely on the computer!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #80
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
Hi everyone!
I posted a card today using this technique on my blog. I'd love for you to check it out. I know that I have always thought it kinda wierd to leave a white space - so I like constant color. But I think my shading could be better. Would LOVE critique on that - please, please be honest - I can take it and it's the only way I'll get better!!
Hi Cassie;

The card is very cute! You're doing great!

What "technique" are you using for your coloring? Loaded question, I know. When you put your color in before you ever pick up your stumps, how do you go about it? I think that might help us understand how to best help you with your shading.

In general, look at the little girl and think about where natural shadows would fall no matter where the light is coming from. For instance, the edges of her dress where the coat overlaps it would have some shading so I would make the edges there just a bit darker than the hem of the dress.

Actual shading can be as easy as going back and adding another layer of color on top of what you've blended out in the areas where you want your shading. You can also go with a darker tone pencil or even into the lighter grey families.

V