In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree47Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #721
Yorkshire Tea Mingler
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
 
Emma F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Drinking Yorkshire Tea in Minglerville, MI
Posts: 51,021
Default

subscribing!
__________________
Emma aka NAUGHTY Yorkshire Tea Mingler
SU Creative Crew Design Team Jan - Apr 2011
My Blog ~ Lady and the Stamp
My SCS Gallery

Emma F is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #722
Glitter Queen
 
Gypsiwoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 15
Default

Aaah, a place just for me and my Prismacolors. Love it. Subscribing
__________________
Ballo ergo sum,
- Gitana, the Creative Diva
www.gitana-thecreativediva.blogspot.com
Gypsiwoman is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #723
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KS
Posts: 2,214
Default

My problem is I don't necessarily know where the shading would go. Is there a general rule of thumb, or some way of figuring it out? Also someone wrote that the baby oil and gamsol technique don't spread the color out, so I'm not understanding what the blending is really. I think I might get better if I understood, maybe, sorta kind of??
dlsplu is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #724
Die Cut Diva
 
BillieDee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 3,142
Default

I did it. I broke down. Went to AaronBrothers and bought the 134 set for .... $105! Their Memorial Weekend sale is still on. Dang it! I just couldn't resist. I also bout the small set of metalics.

Oh ... let me add ... I use low odor mineral oil from Home Depot. I now keep it in a nail polish remover dispenser. It's plastic and chunky to use. I may yet break down and buy one of the glass ones from Gina K. They look like what I really wanted in the first place. I used to use a little shot glass that I filled about 1/8 from the can I keep in the garage.
__________________
Billie Dee
Gallery
Fan Club Supporter because SCS rocks!
BillieDee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #725
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieDee View Post
I did it. I broke down. Went to AaronBrothers and bought the 134 set for .... $105! Their Memorial Weekend sale is still on. Dang it! I just couldn't resist. I also bout the small set of metalics.

Oh ... let me add ... I use low odor mineral oil from Home Depot. I now keep it in a nail polish remover dispenser. It's plastic and chunky to use. I may yet break down and buy one of the glass ones from Gina K. They look like what I really wanted in the first place. I used to use a little shot glass that I filled about 1/8 from the can I keep in the garage.
I tried all sorts of little bottles and things and always wound up, no matter how careful I was, with a little ring of oil on my desk. Finally gave up and bought one (actually two) of the amber glass bottles from Gina K. Those silly little bottles are what keeps me going back to the Gamsol! Never a drop of oil, super easy to use. I've gotta say, they are one of my favorite purchases. A bit pricey but SOOOOO worth it. I say: Go for it!!! You won't be sorry! Makes using the pencils so much more enjoyable!
PJill is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #726
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsplu View Post
My problem is I don't necessarily know where the shading would go. Is there a general rule of thumb, or some way of figuring it out? Also someone wrote that the baby oil and gamsol technique don't spread the color out, so I'm not understanding what the blending is really. I think I might get better if I understood, maybe, sorta kind of??
One easy way to determine shading is to make a small mark in an area outside your image area, like an upper corner. This mark is your light source. If you lay a pencil on this mark, diagonally across the image, you can tell how the light is going to fall on your image. From there, you can determine shading. Shaded areas would be like where hair falls over a face, or a skirt over the leg. Anywhere where something overlaps something else in the image. You should shade away from your light source mark.

As for color movement, the baby oil/gamsol/oms basically melts the wax that binds the pigment in the pencil, allowing the pigment to "move" around on the paper. It will do this with all layers of pigment in the spot you have applied the solvent. So if you have two or three layers of color, it will blend them as you move the stump in that area. This gives you more of a painted effect as it smooths the color across the fibers of the paper.

Pencil to pencil blending is different and in that the color doesn't move across the paper like the solvent technique. Pencil to pencil blending, either with a colorless blender or a different color pencil is a bit harder to explain exactly how it works. It sorta meshes the two colors, filling in the gaps across the fibers of the paper. The finished look on this tends to be a bit rougher, with a waxy sheen to it.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #727
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJill View Post
I tried all sorts of little bottles and things and always wound up, no matter how careful I was, with a little ring of oil on my desk. Finally gave up and bought one (actually two) of the amber glass bottles from Gina K. Those silly little bottles are what keeps me going back to the Gamsol! Never a drop of oil, super easy to use. I've gotta say, they are one of my favorite purchases. A bit pricey but SOOOOO worth it. I say: Go for it!!! You won't be sorry! Makes using the pencils so much more enjoyable!
I bought a metal one from an electronics supply house, but the results are the same. I love that sucker! Prior to it, I would occasionally get too much solvent on my stumps. That can be a hassle if you're not paying attention!

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #728
Stazon Splitcoast
 
jenjoy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 55,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
I bought a metal one from an electronics supply house, but the results are the same. I love that sucker! Prior to it, I would occasionally get too much solvent on my stumps. That can be a hassle if you're not paying attention!

V
V .. I saw the link from where you bought yours.. whats the shipping high? How was their customer service.. I am thinking of buying one.
__________________
Jennifer
jenjoy71 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 AM   #729
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjoy71 View Post
V .. I saw the link from where you bought yours.. whats the shipping high? How was their customer service.. I am thinking of buying one.
I got mine for Mom's day. My husband does electronics stuff and he ordered some other supplies while he was at it, so I don't know what shipping on just that would be. I know when I first looked at it, the shipping was pretty reasonable.

Oh heck, he just told me he didn't order it from them, but from another electronics place he already had an account with, Mouser. They actually have a variety of options including an amber glass one that's about the same price as the metal one. He says their customer service is excellent.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=menda

The metal one was the one I wanted though, as I will eventually alter it.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog

Last edited by just_v; 06-06-2009 at 05:25 AM..
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #730
Stazon Splitcoast
 
jenjoy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 55,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
I got mine for Mom's day. My husband does electronics stuff and he ordered some other supplies while he was at it, so I don't know what shipping on just that would be. I know when I first looked at it, the shipping was pretty reasonable.

Oh heck, he just told me he didn't order it from them, but from another electronics place he already had an account with, Mouser. They actually have a variety of options including an amber glass one that's about the same price as the metal one. He says their customer service is excellent.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=menda

The metal one was the one I wanted though, as I will eventually alter it.

V
Thanks for the new link gonna check them out. I like the 4 oz square ones but it's not glass.. its some other hard material..lol I wonder if that would be safe for the OMS.. hmmm Thanks again
__________________
Jennifer
jenjoy71 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #731
Stazon Splitcoast
 
jenjoy71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 55,095
Default

good morning bump
__________________
Jennifer
jenjoy71 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #732
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjoy71 View Post
Thanks for the new link gonna check them out. I like the 4 oz square ones but it's not glass.. its some other hard material..lol I wonder if that would be safe for the OMS.. hmmm Thanks again
You should be able to check the info on Menda's website, http://www.mendapump.com/. At a guess, I would say yes. I suspect they're HDPE plastic, which is rated for many solvents.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #733
Insane Embellisher
 
Lorri.V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver Island,BC
Posts: 947
Default

Ladies, thank you for this thread. There are so many talented and helpful people here. I just tried my pencils and baby oil for the first time and I am thrilled with the results. I am just heading out on a vacation and will be anxiously waiting to get back and try more coloring.

Lorri
Lorri.V. is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #734
Pearl-ExPert
 
djuseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Posts: 3,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri.V. View Post
Ladies, thank you for this thread. There are so many talented and helpful people here. I just tried my pencils and baby oil for the first time and I am thrilled with the results. I am just heading out on a vacation and will be anxiously waiting to get back and try more coloring.

Lorri
Come on, you bring your coloring with you on vacation. I just did!!! I go camping and I love to color while my DH is fishing. Go for it!
__________________
~Diane
Visit my blog - My Useless Crafts
djuseless is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #735
Pearl-ExPert
 
djuseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Posts: 3,063
Default Blending Stumps

I want to inform the group about something I discovered last week while I was on vacation. I found a Dick Blick store in Leymone, PA and I bought some more blending stumps (so I would not have to pay the ridiculous shipping). They were the ones made in Taiwan, size #2. OMG, they work so much better than the ones made in China. They do not absorb as much baby oil so they stay softer longer. They are also easier to keep sharpened on the sandpaper block. I really liked them! Plus I love this size!!! If you ever see some, get them!!!
__________________
~Diane
Visit my blog - My Useless Crafts
djuseless is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #736
Watercolor Wizard
 
SherryLC05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Carrollton, VA
Posts: 15,581
Default

Hi!

I just found this thread and while I have tried to go through and read ALL the posts, I am afraid there's too many. But I bought my first set of Prismacolor Pencils several months ago- the 24ct Premier. They sat un-touched until recently. I hope to get more soon. Does anyone know the best way to expand my collection without duplicating what I already have? I am hoping there are sets available that don't include the colors I currently have and don't have to buy them all open stock.

Anyway- I am subscribing to this thread because like many of you, Copics are just out of my reach right now, and I want to color without blowing out my budget.
SherryLC05 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #737
Gallery Gazer
 
mtgchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham AL
Posts: 6,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLC05 View Post
Hi!

I just found this thread and while I have tried to go through and read ALL the posts, I am afraid there's too many. But I bought my first set of Prismacolor Pencils several months ago- the 24ct Premier. They sat un-touched until recently. I hope to get more soon. Does anyone know the best way to expand my collection without duplicating what I already have? I am hoping there are sets available that don't include the colors I currently have and don't have to buy them all open stock.

Anyway- I am subscribing to this thread because like many of you, Copics are just out of my reach right now, and I want to color without blowing out my budget.
I think all the larger sets include all of the smaller set colors (except for some special 12-count packages), but I could be wrong about this. Prismacolor's website has all of the packs listed with colors included. Maybe if you upgrade, you can use the buy/sell/trade forum to get rid of your smaller set.

There was also a link on this thread...maybe around the end of April...that had a website that was selling the individual ones for cheap to get rid of them. They may all be gone, but it's worth a shot.
__________________
Meg
My Gallery
mtgchic is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #738
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post
There was also a link on this thread...maybe around the end of April...that had a website that was selling the individual ones for cheap to get rid of them. They may all be gone, but it's worth a shot.
http://www.woodsedge-gallery.com/AM-...OpenStock.html

I just checked and while she doesn't have the huge collection she had back in late April, there is still a very nice selection.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #739
Pearl-ExPert
 
djuseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Posts: 3,063
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryLC05 View Post
Hi!

I just found this thread and while I have tried to go through and read ALL the posts, I am afraid there's too many. But I bought my first set of Prismacolor Pencils several months ago- the 24ct Premier. They sat un-touched until recently. I hope to get more soon. Does anyone know the best way to expand my collection without duplicating what I already have? I am hoping there are sets available that don't include the colors I currently have and don't have to buy them all open stock.

Anyway- I am subscribing to this thread because like many of you, Copics are just out of my reach right now, and I want to color without blowing out my budget.
You will be duplicating colors in all larger sets. I have a few ideas.

1) Buy them individually. Check out Dick Blick for purchasing options.
2) Pass the set of 24 on to a fellow stamper and buy a bigger set for yourself.
3) Sell them on eBay.
4) Keep them and you will have replacements for the most commonly used colors.

When I bought my set of 120, I knew that I was going to love coloring this way so I went for the big set from the start. I am so glad that I did!

Happy coloring!
__________________
~Diane
Visit my blog - My Useless Crafts
djuseless is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #740
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Crafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Front Range
Posts: 12,684
Default

Just an idea... If you are going to be selling the smaller set, you can pick out those 24 colors from your new big set. That way, you'll be selling a "new" rather than a "used" set of 24 pencils and should be able to get a better price for it.
__________________
-- Judi M.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Crafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #741
Pearl-ExPert
 
djuseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Posts: 3,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafts View Post
Just an idea... If you are going to be selling the smaller set, you can pick out those 24 colors from your new big set. That way, you'll be selling a "new" rather than a "used" set of 24 pencils and should be able to get a better price for it.
Plus that is 24 less pencils to sharpen!! LOL!
__________________
~Diane
Visit my blog - My Useless Crafts
djuseless is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #742
Die Cut Diva
 
stamper1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 3,406
Default

Can't. . .resist. . any. . more! I gave in and ordered a set of 72 on eBay. (thanks to the tip in this thread) Can't wait to get them and play!
__________________
Happiness is being kneaded.
Avatar is my childhood kitty, Berries.
stamper1996 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #743
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Michael's carries open stock Prismacolors. Kind of pricey but shipping is so high on some sites. Glad to see everyone using their pencils!

Here's a Card I did today using my pencils with a little variation on that cloud technique I stole from Dina...lol! The scene is all hand drawn except the pool boy.

Thanks for looking!
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #744
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: a faraway place - Wausau, Wisconsin
Posts: 15,189
Default

I bought all my pencil individually from Michaels and a local hobby shop. I have all the colors that I wanted. I use a little glass jar I bought at Michaels for $2.99 and put a piece of sponge in it for the spirits. I use the odorless Mona Lisa brand from Michaels.
meluvstampin is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #745
Pearl-ExPert
 
djuseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Posts: 3,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper1996 View Post
Can't. . .resist. . any. . more! I gave in and ordered a set of 72 on eBay. (thanks to the tip in this thread) Can't wait to get them and play!
Good for you! You will love them and the results!
__________________
~Diane
Visit my blog - My Useless Crafts
djuseless is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #746
Pearl-ExPert
 
djuseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Posts: 3,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Michael's carries open stock Prismacolors. Kind of pricey but shipping is so high on some sites. Glad to see everyone using their pencils!

Here's a Card I did today using my pencils with a little variation on that cloud technique I stole from Dina...lol! The scene is all hand drawn except the pool boy.

Thanks for looking!
OMG, I love this card! You did an amazing job coloring, especially the sky and grass!! I love the hippo chilling in the pool!
__________________
~Diane
Visit my blog - My Useless Crafts
djuseless is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:22 AM   #747
Polyshrink Goddess
 
Deb Za's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
You should be able to check the info on Menda's website, http://www.mendapump.com/. At a guess, I would say yes. I suspect they're HDPE plastic, which is rated for many solvents.

V
I've been using my Prismacolor pencils with the Mona Lisa brand of OMS for a year now--and I have kept my 'working' amount of OMS in a 2.75 diameter by 1.25 height plastic container with a screw-on plastic top, that I purchased in a set of 3/$1 in Joann's bargain bins. It has worked fine. No leaks. I keep some cotton nail polish remover wipes in the container (didn't have a sponge at the time), and I press my stump on them to wet the stump, then lay the lid back over the top until I need to dip again.

If they still have them, they were in a set that had purple and green containers, some were glittery (I use a plain one for my OMS).

I should also add that I do not have children at home (my baby will be 27 in a few weeks!), and that I do have the little jar labeled, and the bigger bottle is up high on a shelf.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.
__________________
Yes, I am aware that I have glitter on my face!
My Gallery
My Blog
Deb Za is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #748
Glitter Guru
 
SAMMYSUE1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,895
Default Leads keep breaking

I am sure this is covered somewhere but I am not finding it...

What can you do if the leads keep breaking on your prisma pencils? I bought the set of 120 and have only sharpened about 15 so far and on about half of those when I go to use them the leads pull out of the hole. It is frustrating because these are not cheap pencils and it seems so wasteful.
__________________
SU! DEMO SITE
SAMMYSUE1975 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #749
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMMYSUE1975 View Post
I am sure this is covered somewhere but I am not finding it...

What can you do if the leads keep breaking on your prisma pencils? I bought the set of 120 and have only sharpened about 15 so far and on about half of those when I go to use them the leads pull out of the hole. It is frustrating because these are not cheap pencils and it seems so wasteful.
Super Glue. Seriously. Just a dot on the end of the lead that pulled out and poke that sucker back in. Press and hold for a 10 count and off you go.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #750
Glitter Guru
 
SAMMYSUE1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Super Glue. Seriously. Just a dot on the end of the lead that pulled out and poke that sucker back in. Press and hold for a 10 count and off you go.

V
THANKS! I will try that!
__________________
SU! DEMO SITE
SAMMYSUE1975 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #751
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Super Glue. Seriously. Just a dot on the end of the lead that pulled out and poke that sucker back in. Press and hold for a 10 count and off you go.

V
I read somewhere someone said to nuke it several seconds so it can melt back together.
stampermomof2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #752
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,145
Default

I went to Hobby Lobby. They had a special case of 24 pencils for $29.99 and it included 6 more colors in a separate box for free. Then they also had all their pencils on sale 30% so I saved $9 off that. Is this a deal? I'm still trying to get the 120 off of ebay but my elementary age girls need some for their fall art class so I wanted to get them their own box so they don't touch my 120 set (if I ever win a bid!).
stampermomof2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #753
Kookie Creator
 
doggonecrafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 929
Default

Hi !

Tim - that drawing is wonderful !!!!

I posted a card on my blog using my prismas if you wanna check it out

http://craftycre8tions.blogspot.com/...ic-monday.html
__________________
Maria
Crafty Cre8tions
doggonecrafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #754
Pearl-ExPert
 
Nicole's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minglerville
Posts: 2,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJill View Post
I tried all sorts of little bottles and things and always wound up, no matter how careful I was, with a little ring of oil on my desk. Finally gave up and bought one (actually two) of the amber glass bottles from Gina K. Those silly little bottles are what keeps me going back to the Gamsol! Never a drop of oil, super easy to use. I've gotta say, they are one of my favorite purchases. A bit pricey but SOOOOO worth it. I say: Go for it!!! You won't be sorry! Makes using the pencils so much more enjoyable!
The beauty suppy stores also carry a nice bottle that is used for the primer they put on acrylic nails.
__________________
**************************************************************
Deborah
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" ~ Albert Einstein
Nicole's Mom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #755
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
I posted a card on my blog using my prismas if you wanna check it out

http://craftycre8tions.blogspot.com/...ic-monday.html
Very cute Maria!

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #756
Pearl-ExPert
 
Nicole's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minglerville
Posts: 2,839
Default

Good idea about the super glue but when you get down to the glue it will cause it not to color. I have trouble to with the sharpening and lead falling out. It is not every pencil so I will live with it.
__________________
**************************************************************
Deborah
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" ~ Albert Einstein
Nicole's Mom is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #757
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole's Mom View Post
Good idea about the super glue but when you get down to the glue it will cause it not to color. I have trouble to with the sharpening and lead falling out. It is not every pencil so I will live with it.
It only creates a thin line of glue in that one spot in the lead. I actually got this tip from a color pencil art forum. The discussion started on how to lengthen the life of pencil stubs, which was to use super glue and glue it to a new pencil of the same color. This then progressed to a discussion of how the same glue could fix broken pencil leads.

If you hit the point and it doesn't color, just a few extra turns through the pencil sharpener and you're back to good lead. It's far less waste than chunking what fell out of the pencil and sharpening down again.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #758
Kookie Creator
 
doggonecrafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 929
Default

good idea V - I'll have to use it next time my lead falls out!
__________________
Maria
Crafty Cre8tions
doggonecrafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #759
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggonecrafts View Post
Hi !

Tim - that drawing is wonderful !!!!

I posted a card on my blog using my prismas if you wanna check it out

http://craftycre8tions.blogspot.com/...ic-monday.html
Thanks Maria! Love your bright picture and the beach scene.



I would return the broken pencils. It's pretty obvious the box was dropped. If the store won't take them send them to Sanford.
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #760
Inking Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 90
Default

I've been reading this thread for days now and finally just got through it all. PHEW!

Now here is my question: I just ordered the 48 ct off of ebay for $20 shipped...I haven't even gotten it yet but last night was reading something about Office Depot having some Prismas on clearance, so I gave my local (well sort of local) Store a call, and they have a 120 ct on clearance for $49.92! SO I have never really colored before--definately not talented like any of you girls/guys on here. But love what I am seeing done with prismas!
I am wondering if it would be worth investing the extra $30 on the larger set, or should I just stick with the smaller 48 ct and see where it goes from there??
bstreeter is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off