Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #561
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, I read the entire thread, took notes and did a little experiment. I used Image Plus cardstock (from Sam's) weight 110. Stamped the same image w/ three different black inks : SU Classic, Momento Tuxedo , Creating Keepsakes Just for Color. I tried baby oil and mineral oil. I used blending tortillons and stumps.

My results: I had no smudging with any of the ink. Baby oil blended just as well as mineral oil. The only difference was the tortillons blended MUCH better than the stumps. The stumps really didn't move much color at all.

Hope this helps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #562
Stampin' Fool

If the stumps were made in CHINA, that could be why the color did not move. The stumps from China are terrible!

Stumps from Taiwan are MUCH better. Also, Gina K Designs sells some that come from the USA that are great. I believe those have "Creative Mark" printed on them.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #563
Pearl-ExPert

What are the stumps sold at Joann's?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #564
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariar View Post
My results: I had no smudging with any of the ink. Baby oil blended just as well as mineral oil. The only difference was the tortillons blended MUCH better than the stumps. The stumps really didn't move much color at all.

Hope this helps.
Intersting. I rarely use the small collection of tortillions because I have exactly the opposite results. Stumps work great for me, tortillions not so much.

V
Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #565
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Intersting. I rarely use the small collection of tortillions because I have exactly the opposite results. Stumps work great for me, tortillions not so much.

V

And I have had opposite results from you. I have used the stumps from Taiwan, but I like how the tortillons work for me. What I like about the tortillions is I have one for each color. No need to sand.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #566
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariLynn View Post
And I have had opposite results from you. I have used the stumps from Taiwan, but I like how the tortillons work for me. What I like about the tortillions is I have one for each color. No need to sand.
I have a stack of stumps, so I only sand after I've done a pile of images or when the tips get ragged. I figured out quickly that just one or two stumps was not going to work.

I tend to work with the same color set of pencils for five to ten images, because I've matched them up to patterned paper that I'm planning to use for cards. That makes it very easy for me to color and blend away to my hearts content...or until I get tired of those colors. At that point, I put away those pencils and sand my stumps and make all the images up into cards.

V
Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #567
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Quote:
I have a stack of stumps, so I only sand after I've done a pile of images or when the tips get ragged. I figured out quickly that just one or two stumps was not going to work.

I tend to work with the same color set of pencils for five to ten images, because I've matched them up to patterned paper that I'm planning to use for cards. That makes it very easy for me to color and blend away to my hearts content...or until I get tired of those colors. At that point, I put away those pencils and sand my stumps and make all the images up into cards.

V

Just curious do you use gamasol or baby oil? I know they both blend, but I wonder if the slight difference in materials may be why one works better for me. I use the baby oil and I know that the tortillons work best with that medium. (At least for me)
Old 05-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #568
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariLynn View Post
Just curious do you use gamasol or baby oil? I know they both blend, but I wonder if the slight difference in materials may be why one works better for me. I use the baby oil and I know that the tortillons work best with that medium. (At least for me)
Up until last month, I used baby oil. I'm now using Zest-it, which is a non-toxic eco-friendly version of Gamsol. My stumps and totillions are all from Taiwan. I think some of it is just technique and preference.

V
Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #569
Rubber Obsessor

My stumps were from Taiwan, so I am not sure why it wouldn't move. After working on these for a few hours, I think I am going to stick with mineral oil. The smell of the baby oil is getting to me and I don't notice any difference.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #570
Stampin' Fool

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole's Mom View Post
What are the stumps sold at Joann's?
Sorry, but I can't help you out there because there are no Joann's near me.

Maybe check the joanns.com? Would they sell the same things and brands as in the brick and mortar stores?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #571
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariar View Post
My results: I had no smudging with any of the ink. Baby oil blended just as well as mineral oil.
Do you mean mineral spirits? Baby oil is just mineral oil with added scent.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #572

I have a good handful of stumps, and each end is labeled with a color. That way they don't need sanded down, because colors aren't getting mixed. Someone mentioned they didn't like the stumps from China - they are what I prefer! Creative Mark stumps are also made in China, if I remember correctly. I don't like the Taiwan ones because the ends get all furry, and they're too soft for me. To each her own! (you too, Mr. Hambo, sir!)

Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 05-14-2009 at 08:20 PM..
Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #573
Rubber Obsessor

I've just been reading a few pages of this thread and need to follow it. Thanks for starting this Prisma thread.

I only use the prisma too. I only have the 72 set which was the biggest set I could find around here where I could use a coupon. I bought them originally for parchment craft. Sometimes I wish I had more colors, but the single ones I see are the same as in my set. The only color for flesh for caucasion that I seem to find to use in my set is the light peach and then blended. would like another option.

I also use baby oil but the gel, mainly because I was afraid the oil might leak or I would spill it. I can't be around the other mediums for blending because they all make me light headed or numb, but then I have chemical allergies anyway doesn't matter if I can't smell it my body can!lol

I have just used cheap cardstock, and recently bought the walmart white cardstock and it is wonderful. I just can't get in to spending money for shipping paper like stampin up etc.

I cannot use the stazon ink, same reason as above, get light headed even if I hurry and cover it as soon as I apply it. Have used several kinds of ink, but my favorite one has been a little square called Outliner by Printworks. I have used this little black dye ink for two years and it has finally pretty well dried up. It never smears and says that right on the lid. I got it at Scrapbook USA two years ago and have never seen it since so don't know if it can still be found. I need to look it up and see if I can find it. I do have a versafine sepia that I like too.

For blending I use paper towel folded and folded and then to a point like a narrow airplane point. Cheap and works well. I recently bought some Cut-N-dry pen nibs, brush tip. They are made by Ranger and come 10 to a package. They work great especially for tight spots, corners, etc where you don't want the color spread over a line

I'm not an artist by any stretch, and am only vague on the light versus dark, shadow etc. So I appreciate any help and videos etc that will help teach me how to color.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 AM   #574
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttlebugfan View Post
For blending I use paper towel folded and folded and then to a point like a narrow airplane point. Cheap and works well. I recently bought some Cut-N-dry pen nibs, brush tip. They are made by Ranger and come 10 to a package. They work great especially for tight spots, corners, etc where you don't want the color spread over a line
Q-tips work okay too. Unused Q-tips that is...enough wax in the pencils already. In fact for doing large area Q-tips work better than the stumps imho. I just bought the Walmart paper and it works pretty good.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #575
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dini View Post
Do you mean mineral spirits? Baby oil is just mineral oil with added scent.

I actually tried mineral oil. I didn't know it is the same thing as unscented baby oil. No wonder they worked the same.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 AM   #576
Rubber Obsessor

just_v, I took a gander at your blog. You do amazing work with the prismacolors. I just love the pelican and the dragon! I do have a couple of questions, are using prismacolor pencils or markers? I'm assuming they are pencils. Also what medium are you using to pull out the color for shading? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #577
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSpirit87 View Post
just_v, I took a gander at your blog. You do amazing work with the prismacolors. I just love the pelican and the dragon! I do have a couple of questions, are using prismacolor pencils or markers? I'm assuming they are pencils. Also what medium are you using to pull out the color for shading? Thanks!
Thanks! I am using just primsacolor pencils. No markers here. I'm using Zest-it as my blending medium. I love how it floats the colors. I use stumps from Taiwan and Gina K. Pure Luxury Baseweight cardstock for all my images.

V
Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #578
Insane Embellisher

Thought I would post the website of another color pencil artist..

Cindy Haase

Her stuff has an old masters feel to them..She rocks.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #579
Mad Swapper

Default great turorial

Quote:
Up until last month, I used baby oil. I'm now using Zest-it, which is a non-toxic eco-friendly version of Gamsol. My stumps and totillions are all from Taiwan. I think some of it is just technique and preference.

V
I love your wendy coloring tutorial. Thanks so much! I always just blended everything together but I am going to use your techniques. They obviously work well because your images are gorgeous.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #580
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
I love your wendy coloring tutorial. Thanks so much! I always just blended everything together but I am going to use your techniques. They obviously work well because your images are gorgeous.
Gosh, thanks! I'm glad you found it useful!

V
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #581
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Thought I would post the website of another color pencil artist..

Cindy Haase

Her stuff has an old masters feel to them..She rocks.
Her talent is mind-blowing!!! What a gift to have! TFS!
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #582
Rubber Obsessor

Default Prisma water color versus wax-based....???

I have been dabbling with several coloring options and combinations, such as watercolor, Bic markers, marvy water color markers, etc.

I am kind of liking watercolor pencils with Dove blending media. What are the advantages of using the wax-based primsma pencils and oil over using watercolor pencils? Seems like the oil would soak into the paper and give a translucent look...??
Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #583
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIRed2 View Post
I have the the 120 set plus , I need to know how to work color for races, black, Indian, Asian, since I am new , I need basic info on color and how toos, .
I haven't read all the posts so sorry if this is a dup.

I love my Prisma pencils but they just don't have great skin colors. Lyra has a set called skin tones that are wonderful.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #584
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKumar View Post
I have been dabbling with several coloring options and combinations, such as watercolor, Bic markers, marvy water color markers, etc.

I am kind of liking watercolor pencils with Dove blending media. What are the advantages of using the wax-based primsma pencils and oil over using watercolor pencils? Seems like the oil would soak into the paper and give a translucent look...??
My interpretation is:

Watercolor: water plus watercolor paint, brush, and watercolor paper. You can use any number of "watercolor paints" such as pots, tubes, peerless paper,watercolor pencils, and crayons, or pick-up the color from a water based marker.

When you watercolor the color absorbs into the paper and if you use true watercolor paper it gives you time to blend the colors. The effect is soft and translucent allowing the beauty of the paper to show through. You can blend when painting or blend colors on your pallete by mixing color and adding water to lighten the colors.

Colored Pencils (not Gamsol): The wax of the pencil floats on the paper. The paper is usually somewhat smooth, not too smooth or it becomes hard to blend. You must blend the colors on the paper as you cannot blend pencils together. You can put down a heavy layer of color so no paper shows through or you can leave it light so that you see the pencil strokes. If you color lightly, the effect is dull whereas if you add a heavy layer of color it will be shiny or "waxy".

Gamsol (faux watercolor): Uses wax pencils and OMS. Gamsol or OMS is a way to get a watercolor look without using watercolor. You blend on the paper because the OMS melts the wax. The paper is best if somewhat smooth but I find I can use almost any paper and still get the same effect. The finish is somewhat dull, not tranlucent like real watercolors.

The techniques are all very different and you get a different effect. I don't consider Gamsol watercoloring. I love it because it's so easy, but then so are pencil and watercoloring. I switch between them depending on my mood or project.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #585
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamphappy1650 View Post
Gamsol (faux watercolor): Uses wax pencils and OMS. Gamsol or OMS is a way to get a watercolor look without using watercolor.
Good explanation, although I have to disagree with terming the use of a solvent to blend colored pencils as "faux watercolor". It's more of another option for blending the colors. I can get a similar effect with a simple blending pencil, but I prefer the smoother texture and intense color I get using a solvent.

V
Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #586
Insane Embellisher

Yeah... good explanation!

Here's another excellent color pencil artist...Bill Coulter. He works with Prismacolors.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #587
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Good explanation, although I have to disagree with terming the use of a solvent to blend colored pencils as "faux watercolor". It's more of another option for blending the colors. I can get a similar effect with a simple blending pencil, but I prefer the smoother texture and intense color I get using a solvent.

V
OK - I only used the term because years ago when I took the class it was called "Faux Watercolor" not Gamsol Magic.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #588
Gabfest Goddess

One of my favorite pencil artists is Terry Medaris

My attempt after learning his technique. I'll never be as good as Terry, but I really love his bold use of color.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #589

Terry Medaris doesn't use a solvent to blend, though, does he? Just works the colors together a little at a time? Just trying to remember. I read an article or interview about him in the Rubber Stamper a few years back.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #590
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Yeah... good explanation!

Here's another excellent color pencil artist...Bill Coulter. He works with Prismacolors.
Another amazing talent!
Proud RAK Member
Old 05-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #591
Stazon Splitcoast

I have not read this thread for a while, so please forgive me if I am repeating a question.
I see someone suggested using a blender pen for tiny corners, etc. I am considering purchasing a small tin of the verithin (Prisma) pencils, as I am having a hard time. Or maybe I should just sharpen my other pencils to a sharper point?
I have done a few cards, and have posted them in my gallery.

Thanks for all the help in this thread.
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 05-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #592
Rubber Obsessor

The Verithin pencils will hold on to a sharper point because they have a harder lead. From what I notice, they have less wax in them so they don't blend as much as the regular Prismacolor pencils which have a thick soft lead.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #593

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdas View Post
I have not read this thread for a while, so please forgive me if I am repeating a question.
I see someone suggested using a blender pen for tiny corners, etc.
A blender pen won't blend the pencils - the suggestion was to use the Prismacolor colorless blender pencil, which can be sharpened to a point to get into those little corners.

Vincent Van Gogh

Old 05-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #594
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to SilverDragoness

Dini I just saw Terry at the stamp show in Washington. He didn't use any blending medium when I watched him. He just does similar colors together and small circular motions to blend them together. He does light and then dark and then goes back over with the light color and then adds his darkest color. He's amazing.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #595
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDragoness View Post
Dini I just saw Terry at the stamp show in Washington. He didn't use any blending medium when I watched him. He just does similar colors together and small circular motions to blend them together. He does light and then dark and then goes back over with the light color and then adds his darkest color. He's amazing.
So correct - also, you hold the pencil almost stright-up and the circles are small. It takes a bit of time to layer the colors and when you are finished, you have a thick layer of wax color, it's very smooth, and shiny.

If you need to remove color, you use craft knife to scrape away color, But don't go all the way down to the paper surface or you'll mar the paper.

The blending pencil will eventually blend colors if you lay down enough color. If you color lightly (you can see individual pencil strokes) it won't blend. I rarely use the blender pencil as I prefer to blend using Terry's method.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #596
Glitter Queen

Default Prismacolor chatter

I just received by box of 132 that I got on E Bay, so many pretty colors, love them.

However, I have never in my life seen so many shades of gray. I really have no idea how to use them or when to use them. Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Ann
Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #597
Embossing Fanatic

Here is another card using prismacolor pencils and GooGone. I have been using GooGone more than my OMS as it is in a jar full and ready to go! Too lazy to fill up my little jar with OMS. I used darker skin tones this time. I used 1092 Nectar and 1093 Seashell Pink and I really like it. For the cheeks I have this almost flourescent pink from my prismacolor Scholar set... it was a bit bright ( LOL ) so I went over it with 929 Pink and wow, love it. I used the same colours in the leaves as the dress.. 1089 Pale Sage, midtone 1096 Kelly Green, and a bit of shadow 908 Dark Green. The hair is 947 Dark Umber, 1084 Gingeroot and a touch of 942 Yellow Ochre to warm up the highlights. The sky is a mix of OMS blending and "scrumbling" where you colour very lightly in tiny circles. I hope I have the terminology right... scrumbling is more of a paint thing but this is how I think of it when I do it LOL! I used 1023 Cloud Blue, 919 Non-Photo Blue & a hint of 903 True Blue. I hope this isn't TMI. Please let me know and I will be more brief
Old 05-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #598
Glitter Queen

Default Prismacolor Chatter

I just read a message that was send to my e mail, that one of you, had finished reading all of the pages and had made notes. I am in the process of reading the threads and am on page 8, but now I am going to go back and do what she did. Take notes.

There is so much great information here and notes will be a easier way than to go back through to find something I read. I really appreciate the color combinations that are suggested. There is a wealth of information here.

Thanks so much
Old 05-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #599
Gabfest Goddess

fredness...thanks for sharing all of the colors/numbers that you used..I find it very helpful!
Proud RAK Member
Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #600
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredness View Post
Here is another card using prismacolor pencils and GooGone.
Very nice! Thanks for the colors....Pale Sage has to be my favorite green if not favorite pencil. I use it do a lot of blending instead of the colorless blender or OMS for that matter. I use Cream too for blending.