In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #481
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
I haven't totally kept up with this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not. I was admiring michelles work and she directed me to a tutorial she had done combining copics and prismas. She really does beautiful work and I sometimes use this technique because A. I am not good with nor do I have many copics and B. I like my prismas better. This technique gives a slightly different look than either which is a nice alternative to use in some applications.
Very cool, Kim! Thanks for the link.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #482
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Yeah..thanks for the link. I really need to learn to mix the two...it would save time that's for sure. One thing I've heard though is that Copics are lightfast...they will fade.
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #483
Pearl-ExPert
 
stargirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHambo View Post
Yeah..thanks for the link. I really need to learn to mix the two...it would save time that's for sure. One thing I've heard though is that Copics are lightfast...they will fade.
I thought lightfast meant that they WON'T fade.
__________________
Carla
My Gallery My BLOG! Paper Pastorale
My Etsy
My A Muse Studio
stargirl is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #484
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Crafts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Front Range
Posts: 12,684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl View Post
I thought lightfast meant that they WON'T fade.
Yes, that's what the word means. But Copic markers are not lightfast. I looked this up on Marianne Walker's blog. Here is a quote from her FAQ:

Quote:
Q. Are Copic Markers lightfast?
A. No. They are a dye. they will fade in harsh light unless they are protected from direct light.
Source: http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...questions.html
__________________
-- Judi M.

On my website: 13 Copic Coloring Guides
Illustrator for: Angels Landing Digital Stamps
Crafts is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #485
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 447
Default

OK...I said that I'd post my first attempts at using Prismacolor pencils and OMS here, so I am doing it (nervously!). I would love to hear any tips/comments from you pros on what I can do to improve. These were fun to do and I look forward to more practice!! TFL and for any help!!
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=134785
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...6667?nocache=1
__________________
--Jamie

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"
OCDstamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #486
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDstamper View Post
OK...I said that I'd post my first attempts at using Prismacolor pencils and OMS here, so I am doing it (nervously!). I would love to hear any tips/comments from you pros on what I can do to improve. These were fun to do and I look forward to more practice!! TFL and for any help!!
I think you did great! I have to say that, of the two, the second one is my favorite. Once you get started, it's all about practice!

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #487
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl View Post
I thought lightfast meant that they WON'T fade.
OOoooops....I meant to say they are NOT lightfast...sorry. ( I'm getting old and slow.) That's the biggest knock against them.
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #488
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDstamper View Post
OK...I said that I'd post my first attempts at using Prismacolor pencils and OMS here, so I am doing it (nervously!). I would love to hear any tips/comments from you pros on what I can do to improve. These were fun to do and I look forward to more practice!! TFL and for any help!!
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=134785
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...6667?nocache=1
I like the second one better too. You have a better range of value...lights to darks..in it. Keep on coloring!!
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #489
Gabfest Goddess
 
craftymomto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 7,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDstamper View Post
OK...I said that I'd post my first attempts at using Prismacolor pencils and OMS here, so I am doing it (nervously!). I would love to hear any tips/comments from you pros on what I can do to improve. These were fun to do and I look forward to more practice!! TFL and for any help!!
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=134785
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...6667?nocache=1
You've VERY WELL!! Keep up the good work!!
__________________
Mary
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
My blogs: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
craftymomto2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:43 PM   #490
Gallery Gazer
 
mtgchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham AL
Posts: 6,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDstamper View Post
OK...I said that I'd post my first attempts at using Prismacolor pencils and OMS here, so I am doing it (nervously!). I would love to hear any tips/comments from you pros on what I can do to improve. These were fun to do and I look forward to more practice!! TFL and for any help!!
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...&ppuser=134785
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...6667?nocache=1
Wowzers on that second one...looks like you are already great on skin coloring!
__________________
Meg
My Gallery
mtgchic is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #491
Insane Embellisher
 
casslarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amarillo TX
Posts: 1,847
Default

you did great for your first time!! i think they look better than my card below - and it's NOT my first time!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1337065
casslarson is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #492
Vintage Vixen
 
missiowa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GPS Headquarters
Posts: 39,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
I haven't totally kept up with this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not. I was admiring michelles work and she directed me to a tutorial she had done combining copics and prismas. She really does beautiful work and I sometimes use this technique because A. I am not good with nor do I have many copics and B. I like my prismas better. This technique gives a slightly different look than either which is a nice alternative to use in some applications.
Are any of you familiar with the artist and illustrator Mary Engelbreit? I have a couple of her old books, and somewhere I remember reading that she uses a combination of markers and colored pencils. If I remember correctly, the first layer is colored pencil, and the subsequent layers are markers. I have no idea what brands she uses though. Sure would be interesting to find out.
__________________
Grand Goddess of GPS of America - BCBW Chapter
missiowa81 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #493
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Are any of you familiar with the artist and illustrator Mary Engelbreit? I have a couple of her old books, and somewhere I remember reading that she uses a combination of markers and colored pencils. If I remember correctly, the first layer is colored pencil, and the subsequent layers are markers. I have no idea what brands she uses though. Sure would be interesting to find out.
Here's her website..http://www.maryengelbreit.com/default.aspx..she is very talented. I didn't see where she shows her process.

Here's my new coloring/drawing hero..Will Hillenbrand Saw him in Artists magazine earlier this year. He uses a little bit of everything in his drawings. He shows some cool techniques on his site.
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #494
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
you did great for your first time!! i think they look better than my card below - and it's NOT my first time!!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1337065
Oh Cassie! I'm still giggling over this one! He's great!

You know, if you wanted to add more color to him, you could always go in with a Copic Multiliner pen (or other good drawing pen) and add in some banding. then you could make him stripey!

Ah! Mr. Hambo! You're sucked away all my free time with Will's site. WOW!!! I'm going to be drooling over it for ages!

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #495
Insane Embellisher
 
casslarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amarillo TX
Posts: 1,847
Default

That's a good idea V --- hopefully the more I color him the better I'll get!
I was thinking part of the problem might be the tip on my stump - i have the hardest time keeping them sharp --- if i keep it sharp i have this little paper wisp that wants to hang off the end. if i get rid of the wisp --- i have a more rounded point that sharp!
casslarson is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #496
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
That's a good idea V --- hopefully the more I color him the better I'll get!
I was thinking part of the problem might be the tip on my stump - i have the hardest time keeping them sharp --- if i keep it sharp i have this little paper wisp that wants to hang off the end. if i get rid of the wisp --- i have a more rounded point that sharp!
I don't keep mine pencil sharp. I sand them to a point with that little wisp thingy and then I sand the very tip off flat, getting rid of the wisp. This brings them to very close to what I had when I got them. I still have a good point on the top without rounding them over. Does that make sense?

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #497
Kookie Creator
 
jknath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: out in left field
Posts: 1,549
Default

I thought I had marked the thread that this info was on but I couldn't find it and was wondering if any of you all knew. There is a company that sells the creative mark stumps in a variety of sizes, individually, and in bulk. I haven't been able to find it through google and I haven't found it through a search here on SCS. Any ideas?
__________________
Kim

Blog Paper Rocks!
jknath is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #498
Kookie Creator
 
jknath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: out in left field
Posts: 1,549
Default

I do remember it was some type of large art supply store.
__________________
Kim

Blog Paper Rocks!
jknath is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #499
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
I thought I had marked the thread that this info was on but I couldn't find it and was wondering if any of you all knew. There is a company that sells the creative mark stumps in a variety of sizes, individually, and in bulk. I haven't been able to find it through google and I haven't found it through a search here on SCS. Any ideas?
I found a bulk pack on Amazon, via SuppliesNet - http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-BLENDING...d=HBODYMDJ66JJ

Oddly, I couldn't find it on the suppliesnet.com direct site.

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #500
Kookie Creator
 
jknath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: out in left field
Posts: 1,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
I found a bulk pack on Amazon, via SuppliesNet - http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-BLENDING...d=HBODYMDJ66JJ

Oddly, I couldn't find it on the suppliesnet.com direct site.

V
Thanks, that is sorta what I want but the store I was referring to had them available individually so that one could purchase an entire bundle of say
size 3. I have a ton of really big ones that I don't use because I have had to buy them in a variety pack when all i really needed were the small ones.
__________________
Kim

Blog Paper Rocks!
jknath is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #501
Kookie Creator
 
jknath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: out in left field
Posts: 1,549
Default

And I should say that I read in that thread that the creative mark brand was really good for prismas so I was trying to find them specifically.
thanks
__________________
Kim

Blog Paper Rocks!
jknath is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #502
Kookie Creator
 
jknath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: out in left field
Posts: 1,549
Default

Nevermind, I found it by searching art stores.
__________________
Kim

Blog Paper Rocks!
jknath is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #503
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknath View Post
Nevermind, I found it by searching art stores.
Share?

V
__________________
See my cards on my blog
just_v is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #504
Kookie Creator
 
jknath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: out in left field
Posts: 1,549
Default

Certainly, http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discou...ding-Tools.htm

The stumps are pretty inexpensive but the shipping is outrageous.
__________________
Kim

Blog Paper Rocks!
jknath is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #505
Gallery Gazer
 
mtgchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Birmingham AL
Posts: 6,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by casslarson View Post
I was thinking part of the problem might be the tip on my stump - i have the hardest time keeping them sharp --- if i keep it sharp i have this little paper wisp that wants to hang off the end. if i get rid of the wisp --- i have a more rounded point that sharp!
So it's not just me? I think that's why I end up using the tortillions (sp?) more, because I find I can get a "cleaner" point on them. My next million dollar idea: some sort of sandpaper-pencil-sharpener to sharpen stumps.

In other "news," I finally found a pink combo I liked for my Fifth Avenue Floral roses. Hooray to Dina K sharing that awesome cheap pencil link...because blush pink + nectar = pretty pink rose! Here is the flower pot card I made with them. Now I just have to make 3 more of them by Saturday!
__________________
Meg
My Gallery
mtgchic is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #506
Gabfest Goddess
 
craftymomto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 7,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post
So it's not just me? I think that's why I end up using the tortillions (sp?) more, because I find I can get a "cleaner" point on them. My next million dollar idea: some sort of sandpaper-pencil-sharpener to sharpen stumps.

In other "news," I finally found a pink combo I liked for my Fifth Avenue Floral roses. Hooray to Dina K sharing that awesome cheap pencil link...because blush pink + nectar = pretty pink rose! Here is the flower pot card I made with them. Now I just have to make 3 more of them by Saturday!
AMAZING JOB!!! Thank you for sharing!! Cute doggie too!
__________________
Mary
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
My blogs: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
craftymomto2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #507
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgchic View Post

In other "news," I finally found a pink combo I liked for my Fifth Avenue Floral roses. Hooray to Dina K sharing that awesome cheap pencil link...because blush pink + nectar = pretty pink rose! Here is the flower pot card I made with them. Now I just have to make 3 more of them by Saturday!
Nice color combo! Cool project.
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #508
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess
 
dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 9,783
Default

Thanks for the link Mr. Hambo! I downloaded the pdf and it looks like it will be fun to look at during homeschool time, just for something different. Sigh......this weekend I'll get my pencils out.
__________________
Dina K.
Mama Dini's Stamperia dkdesigns art stamps

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh


dini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #509
Polyshrink Goddess
 
MrHambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_v View Post
Ah! Mr. Hambo! You're sucked away all my free time with Will's site. WOW!!! I'm going to be drooling over it for ages!

V
Glad you liked him! The cool thing is he likes to do different styles and he's very good at all of them.
MrHambo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #510
Insane Embellisher
 
casslarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amarillo TX
Posts: 1,847
Default

that is beautiful meg!!

how clueless am i??? i thought stumps and tortillions were the same thing!
casslarson is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #511
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,082
Default

WOW...amazing thread!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I found it and have just spent the last few hours reading every post and doing some on-line store searching at the same time.

Can someone tell me where to get the pencils in Canada? Is there an on-line store that you know of?

If they have them at Michaels...which is an hour away from me, I just might have to wait until I make a trip to the city.

Thanks so much.
simvan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #512
Compulsive Stamper
 
aprilchristine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: arizona
Posts: 223
Default

Well I have read thru this whole thread. Whew!!! Tons of info from everyone. I love my prisma pencils. I don't get to much time to color as I have a 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old with another one on the way. I also have to get up at 2:30am for work. Arrgghh!!! But the thing I like about the prisma and baby oil is that if I leave it out and someone gets sticky fingers I feel good knowing that no one is going to get hurt. Also it has inspired my little ones to color with mommy on my days off. We all get out our pencils or crayons and stamp a few images and then have our coloring time. Great for bonding time. I won't let my 3 1/2 year old use the baby oil, but I let her tap the cap and she thinks she using it too. It works out wonderfully. At this point I don't always have time for shading, but I just enjoy the coloring time. Its a rare quiet moment. Sorry to ramble on. Guess I needed some adult talk..
aprilchristine is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #513
Compulsive Stamper
 
fredness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvan View Post
WOW...amazing thread!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I found it and have just spent the last few hours reading every post and doing some on-line store searching at the same time.

Can someone tell me where to get the pencils in Canada? Is there an on-line store that you know of?

If they have them at Michaels...which is an hour away from me, I just might have to wait until I make a trip to the city.

Thanks so much.
simvan, I know Curry's has a promotion going on. 15% off with code if you spend over $100 CAD and I am pretty sure if your order is over 35.00 it's free shipping. I got my 48 at ArtSuppliesDirect and I just looked at their prices and they are a bit cheaper than Curry's. Their individual pencils range from .75 to 1.25... Curry's is 1.44 before the discount. Curry's only offers up to the 72 set. Sorry I can't post the URLS - you will have to Google the names; they are Canadian stores. I AM A LONG TIME LURKER LOL!
fredness is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #514
Compulsive Stamper
 
fredness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilchristine View Post
Well I have read thru this whole thread. Whew!!! Tons of info from everyone. I love my prisma pencils. I don't get to much time to color as I have a 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old with another one on the way. I also have to get up at 2:30am for work. Arrgghh!!! But the thing I like about the prisma and baby oil is that if I leave it out and someone gets sticky fingers I feel good knowing that no one is going to get hurt. Also it has inspired my little ones to color with mommy on my days off. We all get out our pencils or crayons and stamp a few images and then have our coloring time. Great for bonding time. I won't let my 3 1/2 year old use the baby oil, but I let her tap the cap and she thinks she using it too. It works out wonderfully. At this point I don't always have time for shading, but I just enjoy the coloring time. Its a rare quiet moment. Sorry to ramble on. Guess I needed some adult talk..
I thought I would chime in about the toxicity of baby oil. Although it is nontoxic.. it is very dangerous if inhaled or gets in a baby's airway. Or that is what I have heard. But still, the best plan with little ones around
fredness is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #515
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredness View Post
simvan, I know Curry's has a promotion going on. 15% off with code if you spend over $100 CAD and I am pretty sure if your order is over 35.00 it's free shipping. I got my 48 at ArtSuppliesDirect and I just looked at their prices and they are a bit cheaper than Curry's. Their individual pencils range from .75 to 1.25... Curry's is 1.44 before the discount. Curry's only offers up to the 72 set. Sorry I can't post the URLS - you will have to Google the names; they are Canadian stores. I AM A LONG TIME LURKER LOL!
Hi fredness...thanks so much, I really appreciate your time. Yippee...now I can go spend some money...oh this habit.
simvan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #516
Compulsive Stamper
 
fredness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 47
Default



I hope I do this right LOL! Here is a card done with prismas and OMS ( actually the girl was blended with GooGone - the flower was done earlier). You can get neat effects with the pencils. The flower was done by heavily colouring near the center of the flower and the lines and then you "streak" the colour outward with your stump, repeatedly going over the streak until the colour fans out. I hope I explained that right. This would also be a good technique for dresses and clothes with folds. I even used the same denim blue pencil to colour the matte and used the OMS to blend the pencil marks out. Great idea if you are thrifty or don't have coloured CS to match
fredness is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #517
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredness View Post


I hope I do this right LOL! Here is a card done with prismas and OMS ( actually the girl was blended with GooGone - the flower was done earlier). You can get neat effects with the pencils. The flower was done by heavily colouring near the center of the flower and the lines and then you "streak" the colour outward with your stump, repeatedly going over the streak until the colour fans out. I hope I explained that right. This would also be a good technique for dresses and clothes with folds. I even used the same denim blue pencil to colour the matte and used the OMS to blend the pencil marks out. Great idea if you are thrifty or don't have coloured CS to match

WOW..this is beautiful...the colouring is wonderful!!!!!

Thanks for sharing...very inspiring!
simvan is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #518
Gabfest Goddess
 
craftymomto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 7,053
Default

fredness...really like your card, colors and shading! What colors did you use for the flesh?
__________________
Mary
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
My blogs: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
craftymomto2 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #519
Rubber Obsessor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 141
Default

That is a beautiful card.

I have a question. I have been following the post and remember people talking about storage ideas for their pencils. I would love for mine to be portable. I know someone had a "binder" posted but for the life of me I can't find it again. Please share your storage ideas. I have 120. Thanks for the help.

Also, I too would love to know what colors people are using for flesh.

Thanks,
Candie
ladybug4233 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #520
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess
 
dini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 9,783
Default

http://www.dickblick.com/products/gl...-pencil-cases/ are the ones I have. I actually have 2 of the cases that hold 120 for my Prismas and odd other ones I have bought to fill in (one is pink-red-orange-yellow-green-blue, and the other holds purple-metallics-brown-grey-black), and my watercolor pencils in one that holds 96.
__________________
Dina K.
Mama Dini's Stamperia dkdesigns art stamps

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh


dini is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off