Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Tim Holtz movers and shapers without base? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/tim-holtz-movers-shapers-without-base-t580125.html)

mamaxsix 10-28-2013 08:16 AM

Tim Holtz movers and shapers without base?

I bought some TH dies without realizing that they were movers and shapers. I don't have the base and I'm wondering if anyone has had any success using them without it. I have a Big Shot that I would be using.

fionna51 10-28-2013 09:12 AM

Gail...I think you would need to use something to take up the space of the magnetic plate of the m&s base. Not sure how thick it is...maybe someone knows what works...

I would use them in my older "big red" sizzix since it is straight pressure not a roller.

I seem to remember trying a m&s in my uplines Bigshot without the base but don't remember what we did. I guess I'm not a lot of help right now am I? ;)

iamvics 10-28-2013 09:31 AM

If you have any Bigz dies with open space (like a tag) you can use them for the base.

floyd 10-28-2013 09:43 AM

I did the same thing...I used a photo magnet sheet to hold the dies and used cardboard to build up to the right thickness and it worked just fine. I have since bought the base when it was on sale. Good luck!

mamaxsix 10-28-2013 11:17 AM

thanks! It irks me when I do stuff like this! I was all excited until I started opening the packages :shock: :oops: :(

QueenOfInkland 10-28-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsix (Post 20390896)
thanks! It irks me when I do stuff like this! I was all excited until I started opening the packages :shock: :oops: :(

Well, you're certainly not alone. My bonehead move of the month was to use a die directly on the surface of my brand new magnetic sizzix platform. I don't think I hurt anything other now I have the shape of the die cut into the platform surface - deeply. ::sigh::

mamaxsix 10-28-2013 05:08 PM

My oldest DD used my Impressions plate as a cutting mat so it has three tags cut into it. She also banged eyelets on my brand new dining room table. Ahhh the joys of crafting with kids.

BroncoFan60 10-28-2013 05:30 PM

I have a CB and read somewhere here to use 3 B plates and I use a flat store bought card for a shim. Works like a dream. :)

shazsilverwolf 10-29-2013 03:39 AM

I have used movers & shapers on a BSPro, without the base- I did the same as you and bought them without realising. This was my sandwich from the bottom up:

Adapter Pad
2x Clear Plates
Die
Solo Shim
2x Mylar Shims
Die
Cardstock/paper
Crease Rule( the rubber mat)
Sometimes I've needed to add a thin cardstock shim to this mix. I have also been able to cut 3 layers of paper at the same time.
There are some other recipes on my blog page for Cuttlebug/BSPro. Hth.

Bahb 11-03-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsix (Post 20390714)
I bought some TH dies without realizing that they were movers and shapers. I don't have the base and I'm wondering if anyone has had any success using them without it. I have a Big Shot that I would be using.

I was just reading on a new site for all things Die.... I think it's called TopDog Dies........to use a cutting plate without a platform, on the bottom, and another cutting plate on the top of your sandwich, and use shims in between. I too bought Movers n' Shapers without a base.....never have been able to even find out what a base looks like.......and I use cereal boxes cut-to-plate-size for shims, as many as I need to make the sandwich fit, depending on which die. The Movers n' Shapers are "steel rule dies", whatever that means. It's scary, looks like it won't work, not having a platform, but the dies are still selling , new Movers 'n Shapers without the base, so I guess it must not matter.