Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Staples Brand 110 lb. Cardstock

Has anyone tried this? The package says 110 lb., but sometimes weights differ because of other factors. Does the weight of the Staples brand compare to Gina K.'s 110 lb. cs? (I know it probably isn't as smooth.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The weight of paper can be the same between Staples and the Gina one, but the feel of it may be very different. The weight doesn't determine the texture either.

I personally don't like the paper in Staples or discount stores. I just don't see the quality I want. Those papers are ok for your computer or kid's projects, but I don't feel the quality is there for Greeting Card making.

Patti
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Patti. I bought the Staples 110lb cardstock thinking I was getting a bargin, what I got was paper that was a little heavier than copier paper. I did find a use for it though in my card making, when I use colored cardstock for my card base I cut the Staples cardstock a 1/4 inch smaller on all sides than the base and I put it on the inside of the card on, one side, so that I have a white area to stamp a sentiment and so that you can write on it and see it, I found this less expensive than using my good cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I do know that the weight doesn't determine the texture. I just wanted to know if it makes a good base for cards. Thanks for all the info., ladies. I appreciate the input and advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I disagree with the other two opinions. I use Staples and Office Depot 110# cardstock almost exclusively for my card bases and printing all my digi stamps on and find it works great. The only other cardstock I've found that I like better is the Domtar Cougar 130# super smooth bright white, but I only use that for single layers cards since Copics don't bleed through with this cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Well, I disagree with the other two opinions. I use Staples and Office Depot 110# cardstock almost exclusively for my card bases and printing all my digi stamps on and find it works great. The only other cardstock I've found that I like better is the Domtar Cougar 130# super smooth bright white, but I only use that for single layers cards since Copics don't bleed through with this cardstock.
Where do you get that Domtar Cougar 130# cardstock? I'm in Calgary, AB and I see you're in AB too. I hate paying for shipping on cardstock if I don't have to. Right now I use Gina K's Pure Luxury White for my white card bases. It's great paper, but I hate having to order it online. Wish I could find a source locally. Let me know what store you get it at if you don't mind. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Thanks so much, Catwoman. I think I might just buy one package and give it a try. If I don't use it for card bases, I can use it for matting, layering, or the insides of my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I agree as well. I have purchased the Staples brand and am satisfied with how it "feels". I have no issues for stamping and think the weight makes it perfectly fine to use as a base for cards. This way I have no reservations sending handmade cards even if I know they will get thrown away. At least, I know that I did not invest a bunch of money $$$$ into the supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharileaView Post
Where do you get that Domtar Cougar 130# cardstock? I'm in Calgary, AB and I see you're in AB too. I hate paying for shipping on cardstock if I don't have to. Right now I use Gina K's Pure Luxury White for my white card bases. It's great paper, but I hate having to order it online. Wish I could find a source locally. Let me know what store you get it at if you don't mind. Thanks in advance!
Its kind of hit or miss, but I found it at the cash & carry Coast Paper distributor outlet up off 37th Ave NE & Barlow Tr. I'm hoping to hit it one day when they have some Neenah cardstock on the shelves. The guy I spoke to said that rarely happens and when it doesn, its snatched up right away. You have to buy full reams but its usually pretty cheap. I got 250 sheets of 18" x 12" sheets of the Domtar cardstock for under $10. I also bought some other really heavy cardstocks (200#) for making boxes, both also 18x12 250 sheets for under $10. I have enough heavy cardstock now to last me about 10 years....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Staples Brand 110 Cardstock

I have been a recent convert to Staples cardstock. Just make sure you do not buy COVERSTOCK by mistake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

OK. Thanks very much for helping me out, ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I bought some carstock from Staples for a kids' project years ago and it stamped very well. However, compared side-by-side to SU! white, the Staples paper had a pink tinge to it and it got more pinkish as it "aged." I stay away from non-SU! cardstock except for kids/classroom projects.
Mary Beth

Last edited by lutheran; 04-30-2011 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: entered too soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Mary Beth. I'll keep that in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I bought some carstock from Staples for a kids' project years ago and it stamped very well. However, compared side-by-side to SU! white, the Staples paper had a pink tinge to it and it got more pinkish as it "aged." I stay away from non-SU! cardstock except for kids/classroom projects.
Mary Beth
The SU! cardstock is good, but in my experience doesn't work with Copics which I what I use the most for colouring. The Wausua works really nicely with alcohol based markers. Just another thing to keep in mind...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Catwoman. I usually use Gina K. for alcohol-based markers. I'm going to use the Staples brand for card bases. I have to try that Wausau paper, though. It sounds great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Keep in mind sometimes paper is labeled "cover", if it's not as thick- it's probably actually Index- which is a cover weight, but at 110# it's not the same thickness as Gina K or Classic Crest or Cougar. I know I went to use some 110# cover that my husband bought at WalMart and it's Index... I would see if I could see and touch a sample if possible. When all else fails? Go to you local print shop... they will most likely have limited open stock or sample books of TONS of paper... (might even snag some offcuts)
Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Another good tip. Thanks, Andrea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I just bought a package of the ivory at Staples, and I'm pretty satisfied with the weight. It's definitely heavier than the Georgia Pacific paper I have, and it's pretty smooth. I paid $15 for 250 sheets, so I think that's a pretty good deal. They have some really pretty colors, too. Thanks again for all your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Staples Brand 110Lb Cardstock

I also love their ivory colored CS. I used to use GP, and decided to get the Staples white after being so pleased with the ivory. If you compare the GP to the Staples , you will see that the GP is greyer than Staples white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I also love their ivory colored CS. I used to use GP, and decided to get the Staples white after being so pleased with the ivory. If you compare the GP to the Staples , you will see that the GP is greyer than Staples white.
Yes, I've noticed that about the GP white cs. It also appears to be "blotchy," for want of a better word. I'll use it up; but when it's gone, I'm buying the Staples brand white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Also- note the the recycle content the "less" white. This is known as your brightness... and "should" be listed on your paper pack, like 92, 94, 96 etc..., the higher the number the brighter the white. At that point it's personal preference.

Last edited by riverturtle; 04-30-2011 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: meant to say the Higher the recycle content
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverturtleView Post
Also- note the the recycle content the "less" white. This is known as your brightness... and "should" be listed on your paper pack, like 92, 94, 96 etc..., the higher the number the brighter the white. At that point it's personal preference.
Yep, I always check that too. If I'm using it for everyday printer paper, the brightness isn't that important; but when I'm buying cardstock, it is something to be aware of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Someone once told me to use the cardstock from Wal-Mart for my cricut. You use it first to make sure you are happy with the design, size, etc. before you use your good cardstock to cut out the design you want. That has saved me a TON of more expensive cardstock on stupid mistakes. I also use the Wal-Mart cardstock to make my envelopes. I cut it down and use my scorepal and make tons of envelopes ahead of time so I'll have them when I need them. They are just thick enough for that and hold up well. I agree about the copic markers it's not good for that. I have used it for some stamping especially if it is a very small stamp or if I'm going to color it. I also am like jackie1 and use it inside my card if I have colored cardstock as my card. It works great inside to stamp on and write a quick note.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdmacView Post
... I agree about the copic markers it's not good for that. I have used it for some stamping especially if it is a very small stamp or if I'm going to color it. I also am like jackie1 and use it inside my card if I have colored cardstock as my card. It works great inside to stamp on and write a quick note.
I think you were referring to my comment about copic markers. I actually was saying that the Wausau cardstock is an excellent cardstock to use for copics - I use it almost exclusively for colouring with copics and have great results. Just wanted to clear that up and not have anyone confused about what I said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also in agreement with using the Staples stock. I make 100's of cards to sell at our church's annual bazaar. I donate the entire cost of the cards, so I have to find ways to really keep my costs down. Particularly since I only charge $2 per card! Every single card base is made with it, and I have never had a problem. If the front of my card is too top heavy with embellishments, especially chipboard, then I will reinforce the inside of the card (where you would put your sentiment) with a thin-ish layer of coloured paper, then another layer of the white to balance it out.

That being said, I only use it for stamping on if I am stamping a sentiment that will be cut out and adhered to the card. I rarely, if ever, stamp a focal image on it, as I find it a tiny touch on the grey side compared to SU!'s whisper white or GKD. Also, I have found that when I stamp the backside of it with my "handmade by" stamp and my initials, I have to use a very soft colour (e.g. light blue) and a very light coloured marker, or it will show through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I think you were referring to my comment about copic markers. I actually was saying that the Wausau cardstock is an excellent cardstock to use for copics - I use it almost exclusively for colouring with copics and have great results. Just wanted to clear that up and not have anyone confused about what I said.
Yes, thank you. Late at night I don't make much sense... Info getting from my brain to my fingers is hard for me sometimes, lol thank you for clearing up my not so clear comment. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

The WalMart cardstck (black or white) is too lightweight for cardbases IMHO. However, I use it for matting when all I need is a narrow border to show. It also works well for the inside messages. It doesn't brayer evenly or sponge nicely -- tends to look grainy. I do use it for bridge tallies that I make by the hundreds for local bridge groups as it goes through the printer well. However, I have to be careful with coloring images on it as it tends to bleed through.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeJinxView Post
...However, I have to be careful with coloring images on it as it tends to bleed through.
If you are using Copics, it does need to saturate the paper in order to get proper blending. Not very many cardstocks will blend well without showing through on the back since you're not able to "spread" the ink around. There are only two cardstocks I know of right now that blend well that don't bleed to the back. There's the Gina K cardstock, but I haven't use that one. I have the Domtar Cougar bright white super smooth 130# cardstock and it works beautifully with Copics and doesn't bleed through. I usually only use it when I'm making single layer cards (which isn't too often).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a pack to try as there really are no places around where I live. I have had no problem using it as the card base or with my spellbinders, etc. The SU, Memories, & Adirondak inks have given me no problems. I would not use it for copics or prisma though as it will not hold up, I use the new copic paper. For me it does what I need it to, I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #30  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

<snipped by TeeGeeDee> I have the Domtar Cougar bright white super smooth 130# cardstock and it works beautifully with Copics and doesn't bleed through. I usually only use it when I'm making single layer cards (which isn't too often).
I'm wondering where you buy the 130# Domtar Cougar; I thought Marco's Paper carried it but did not find it recently on their website (I have a gift certificate - for awhile now because it's hard to finalize my order).

Also, if you don't mind sharing, how much does the 130# cost? There is a paper outlet kinda nearby but they don't stock the 130# so I'd have to have it ordered and there's a fee to have it cut to a size I'd use (such as 8.5 x 11). It's been several months since I checked prices there but a reference point would be useful.

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
I'm wondering where you buy the 130# Domtar Cougar; I thought Marco's Paper carried it but did not find it recently on their website (I have a gift certificate - for awhile now because it's hard to finalize my order).

Also, if you don't mind sharing, how much does the 130# cost? There is a paper outlet kinda nearby but they don't stock the 130# so I'd have to have it ordered and there's a fee to have it cut to a size I'd use (such as 8.5 x 11). It's been several months since I checked prices there but a reference point would be useful.

TIA and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Tina, I bought the Cougar 130# cardstock at a local paper distributor - Coast Paper. It was in their cash & carry outlet so I really lucked out getting it. I got 250 sheets 12" x 18" for under $10. They carry Neenah cardstock, so I stopped in on the off chance they would have some off-cuts in the C&C. They didn't so I bought this thinking if it didn't work with my copics, its extra sturdy for card bases & boxes. I was super pleased it works great with Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #32  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Tina, I bought the Cougar 130# cardstock at a local paper distributor - Coast Paper. It was in their cash & carry outlet so I really lucked out getting it. I got 250 sheets 12" x 18" for under $10. They carry Neenah cardstock, so I stopped in on the off chance they would have some off-cuts in the C&C. They didn't so I bought this thinking if it didn't work with my copics, its extra sturdy for card bases & boxes. I was super pleased it works great with Copics.

Thanks for the info! Next time I'm near the paper outlet (not too often) I'll get another price list (that is, I'll write down on a scrap of paper the prices the guy tells me ... they are not geared toward small consumer purchases but do answer questions in a friendly way.)

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes