Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simon Says Stamp ink pads

Anyone ever use the SSS ink pads and have thoughts or think they're worth the cost compared to other dye inks? My birthday is next month and I'm thinking about getting the new spring rainbow set. Thx!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Would also love some feedback on these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

I'm trying to decide between SSS and SU...I'm loving the price of SU and the way the stamps are made...hard decision! But SU also has the labels and pad refills are a good price...if I get the SU then I can also get the great deals with the free stuff that's going on right now too...how what a decision to make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Look on Jennifer McQuire's blog for examples and videos of SSS and other inks. Sorry I don't have a link handy...not easy with the iPad. I want them and the cardstock but am holding off for $$$ and a sale. Beware: she is a HUGE enabler!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is the link on Jennifer McGuire's blog with a video about SSS inks:

New Simon Says Stamp Inks + Papers? Video + Giveaway! | Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Inks, so many to chose from. by lenayvonne1 at Splitcoaststampers
Just to confuse you here is another thread talking about inks.

Try googling ink brand comparison.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

I have done a bit of googling and a huge Jennifer McGuire fan! Also, Kristina Werner too! I think I'll go with SU since they have a great deal and sooo many colors to choose from. I really love the idea of how the lid slides back...considering I lose so many things in my tiny crafting corner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

SU! is a good choice when you are starting out. I like the way the pad is made so the ink pad is automatically stored upside down and you can see the color on the end of the pad and the top. And there is paper, ribbon, enamel dots, buttons, etc. to match.

I "kind of" got into "collecting" inks last year...I LOVE COLORS!! And Jennifer sucks me into her web of pretty colors...

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Stamps for Smiles

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I just wanted to add my "two cents" in here as I have been using Stampin' Up! for several years and I've been looking at the different inks as well as there is so many of them out there now! I will say that I see the Simon Says Stamp ink pads say that the ink will not smear when using watercolors and markers. (I know that you can't do this with SU! inks)

I just wanted to do the research myself as I didn't want someone "pushing their agenda" if they "belonged" to a particular company and was trying to promote one vs. another. I also learned that the Hero Arts midtone collection works similar to that of the Simon Says Stamp pads. Although I did see that the Hero Art pads are a water-based ink similar to Stampin' Up! pads.

So much to think about and so much money to invest in matching colors I know! Since I already own most all of the colors from Stampin' Up!, I will probably SLOWLY switch over to something else. And YES...beware of the enablers out there! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Speaking of enablers.....I just watched the video from Jennifer McGuire. ;) I went ahead and bought the basic set to try. I have almost all of the new SU pads, but I've been unhappy with how fast they dry out. I also don't like how they tend to smear when using stickles over them. I'm hoping the SSS pads are a better match for me. The only thing that has me concerned right now is there don't appear to be any refills available. That won't be a huge issue as long as these pads stay juicy a long time like my Momento Tuxedo Black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

darlene devries does a phenomenal review of various ink types and brands here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17gyd3Zhtmc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

I went with lots of SU ink pads and have been satisfied. Great colors, great price, great stamping. And the pads are so juicy and big that I can tap lightly rather than messing about trying to get the entire stamp covered. And they have labels! The brights are gorgeous...well all the colors I've gotten are beautiful and saturated. Loves loves loves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I have dozens of SU pads and one Simon Says Stamp pad, but if I had to do it over, I'd choose all Simon Says Stamp inks. Here's why:

I like to have matching cardstock with my ink pads, which is why I went with SU over 10 years ago. However, I have been very unhappy with how the SU pads have dried out, whereas most of my other brands of dye ink pads are still nice and juicy, over 10 years later. My conclusion is that SU pads are NOT air tight, which really ticks me off considering all the money I invested in them. Also, SU ink doesn't even out as nicely on Neenah Classic Crest cardstock as Simon Says Stamp ink. If I buy anymore SU inks, I'll just buy the reinker and get a dry felt pad from Ranger Industries.

I love the Simon Says Stamp ink pad! The ink stamps splotchy at first, but then evens out on the paper as it dries and lightens just slightly to get to the perfect shade. It's made from the same felt pad as the other Stewart Superior pads I have, so I know it will be air tight and stay juicy. The only drawback is that the matching SSS cardstock is 50 cents a sheet, which is quite a bit pricier than SU. Also, it's thicker than SU which is probably too thick for my Silhouette SD machine to cut. I think I'll still suck it up and get the matching cardstock when I buy a SSS ink pad.

Hope this helps the OP's decision!

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I got my new SSS inkpads and have been playing with them the past day. I must say I am quite disappointed. I love the colors and I really wanted to like them. They are very juicy and no mater how I try I cannot get a good impression. The ink beads horribly on the stamp and there is either not enough ink so large blotches of impressions are not being made, or there is too much ink and the design gets obliterated. The ink also soaks completely through to the other side of my paper. I've tried tapping lightly, heavy, in circles, swiping and nothing helps. It's not a problem with the clear stamps that came with them since I can get great, crisp details with my SU inkpads. I even tried these inks with my rubber stamps and have the same problems. Looks like I will be sticking with my SU and investing in bottles of refills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
Well, I got my new SSS inkpads and have been playing with them the past day. I must say I am quite disappointed. I love the colors and I really wanted to like them. They are very juicy and no mater how I try I cannot get a good impression. The ink beads horribly on the stamp and there is either not enough ink so large blotches of impressions are not being made, or there is too much ink and the design gets obliterated. The ink also soaks completely through to the other side of my paper. I've tried tapping lightly, heavy, in circles, swiping and nothing helps. It's not a problem with the clear stamps that came with them since I can get great, crisp details with my SU inkpads. I even tried these inks with my rubber stamps and have the same problems. Looks like I will be sticking with my SU and investing in bottles of refills.
Oh no Arizona, that's awful! I hope you can send them back for a refund. From what I seen on Kristina Werner's vids using SSS stamps I wasn't impressed...she even noted that they are like Hero Arts and need to let dry before the impression looks right, but there was still something about the art made with them that didn't look right. I'm now very glad I went with SU sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Unfortunately SSS is known for having dismal customer service, so I'm not even going to bother trying to return them. But, I have a young niece and nephew who will enjoy having these added to their art stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessrose21View Post
I like to have matching cardstock with my ink pads, which is why I went with SU over 10 years ago. However, I have been very unhappy with how the SU pads have dried out, whereas most of my other brands of dye ink pads are still nice and juicy, over 10 years later. My conclusion is that SU pads are NOT air tight, which really ticks me off considering all the money I invested in them. Also, SU ink doesn't even out as nicely on Neenah Classic Crest cardstock as Simon Says Stamp ink. If I buy anymore SU inks, I'll just buy the reinker and get a dry felt pad from Ranger Industries.
I've had the opposite experience so I wonder what the problem is. I had some hobby lobby brand pigment inks and they dried out in less than 6 months so I understand being upset that they have dried out. I've only been a demo for 6 years so maybe they made the actual cases better (do you have the old style where the lid swung open? I have a friend that has some of those or something and hers are still juicy.) but I haven't had a problem with any drying out besides the new firm foam in Basic Gray (one of the reformulated colors). I'm so sorry that happened to you. You could try contacting the company or your demo but if they're over 10 years old, I'm not sure if there would be something they could do or not but it might be worth it to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have only the new SU foam pads and they are all drying out. The black went bone dry within a month and basic gray followed soon after. The other colors are taking longer, but are difficult to use because I have to pound the s***t out of them to get any color! and the coverage is spotty. Very disappointing because I bought the entire basic sets of the colors at once. This was also right before they decided to change their color lineup (another annoyance) I just haven't gotten around to getting refills yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I have only the new SU foam pads and they are all drying out. The black went bone dry within a month and basic gray followed soon after. The other colors are taking longer, but are difficult to use because I have to pound the s***t out of them to get any color! and the coverage is spotty. Very disappointing because I bought the entire basic sets of the colors at once. This was also right before they decided to change their color lineup (another annoyance) I just haven't gotten around to getting refills yet.
The black has had a problem since it was reformulated for the new ink pad. The Basic Gray too although a different type of problem. (The black doesn't dry on white or vanilla well at all so people often smeared it. The gray pad dries up inexplicably.) I'd contact your demo have her contact SU! to see what they can do for you.

About the other colors, it just sounds like you need to reink the pads. They hold less ink to begin with (compared to the old style) but the pad and reinker together will last about the same time as the old pad and a reinker. You'll reink your pad more frequently, but use less ink each reinking than the old style pads needed when reinking. Hope that helps! I love these pads and the coverage they give on solid stamps especially.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahbe492View Post
The black has had a problem since it was reformulated for the new ink pad. The Basic Gray too although a different type of problem. (The black doesn't dry on white or vanilla well at all so people often smeared it. The gray pad dries up inexplicably.) I'd contact your demo have her contact SU! to see what they can do for you.

About the other colors, it just sounds like you need to reink the pads. They hold less ink to begin with (compared to the old style) but the pad and reinker together will last about the same time as the old pad and a reinker. You'll reink your pad more frequently, but use less ink each reinking than the old style pads needed when reinking. Hope that helps! I love these pads and the coverage they give on solid stamps especially.
Yes, I have heard that the new SU pads need more frequent re-inking. It would not bother me so much if I was actually using the pads a lot, but they dry out regardless of use. I rarely have time to do any actual stamping and as a result my memento pads have remained very fresh. In fact, My Tuxedo Black dye pad is 8 years old and I only just bought a re-inker 3 weeks ago. I really wish SU would place their pads in more air-tight covers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes, I have heard that the new SU pads need more frequent re-inking. It would not bother me so much if I was actually using the pads a lot, but they dry out regardless of use. I rarely have time to do any actual stamping and as a result my memento pads have remained very fresh. In fact, My Tuxedo Black dye pad is 8 years old and I only just bought a re-inker 3 weeks ago. I really wish SU would place their pads in more air-tight covers.
I haven't had a problem at all and I have a few pads I only use once per year, like Cajun Craze. Or some of the subtles that I use even less frequently, like Pink Pirouette (I've maybe used it once since the new pads came out.) Again, I'd contact your demo as I haven't heard this from anyone else with the new pads, with the exception of reformulated colors. I just remembered that my Marina Mist (another reformulated color) was just like the Basic Gray but my Perfect Plum and Tempting Turquoise are just fine. I just feel like if you invest that much money, you should be able to enjoy the products! I hope that your demo and SU! can find some sort of resolution for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I haven't had a problem at all and I have a few pads I only use once per year, like Cajun Craze. Or some of the subtles that I use even less frequently, like Pink Pirouette (I've maybe used it once since the new pads came out.) Again, I'd contact your demo as I haven't heard this from anyone else with the new pads, with the exception of reformulated colors. I just remembered that my Marina Mist (another reformulated color) was just like the Basic Gray but my Perfect Plum and Tempting Turquoise are just fine. I just feel like if you invest that much money, you should be able to enjoy the products! I hope that your demo and SU! can find some sort of resolution for you.
I was really surprised that SU! ink pads did so well in the video. I rarely use these pads because of my love of the Distress Ink colors but when I do get them out I found that nearly all the pale colors went bad...no color or very little...they just turned icky or something. These were quite the investment so I am soooo disappointed in them and would not buy any more. Other random colors are dried out, too. Its not like I don't take care of my craft equipment but you would think I over used them to death. Not so. I rarely use them. Anyway, I am glad to see the results are practically what I found with the different inks. Black inks are the ones that I can't get a consist opinion on of the results. New pads do better than reinked pads in some situations, too. I wish I know what the best black pigment ink there is out there and the best black dye ink. Momento has not impressed me after seeing many use it on in demonstration videos. Glad to see the SSS evaluation, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 10:59 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottiejdavisView Post
I was really surprised that SU! ink pads did so well in the video. I rarely use these pads because of my love of the Distress Ink colors but when I do get them out I found that nearly all the pale colors went bad...no color or very little...they just turned icky or something. These were quite the investment so I am soooo disappointed in them and would not buy any more. Other random colors are dried out, too. Its not like I don't take care of my craft equipment but you would think I over used them to death. Not so. I rarely use them. Anyway, I am glad to see the results are practically what I found with the different inks. Black inks are the ones that I can't get a consist opinion on of the results. New pads do better than reinked pads in some situations, too. I wish I know what the best black pigment ink there is out there and the best black dye ink. Momento has not impressed me after seeing many use it on in demonstration videos. Glad to see the SSS evaluation, too.
Again, contact your demo whenever you have an issue with our products. That's what we're here for and I always want my customers to be satisfied with either their products or the resolution to the issue if the product isn't meeting crafters standards. I would rather have anything than a customer with a bad taste of SU! in their mouth. They are an amazing company and would've done their best to make it right with you.

I actually love Memento Tuxedo Black and am super happy that we'll be carrying it once our alcohol based markers release.

Distress inks are very cool but IMHO, there's still a necessity for a good, regular die ink too. I love the many techniques they can be used for but wouldn't want them as my every day stamping ink. Man alive, Jennifer McQuire makes me wish sometimes that I hadn't sold most of mine in my paper crafting sale, but I just never used them as I'm SUO now so they needed to get to a good home where someone would love and use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Again, contact your demo whenever you have an issue with our products. That's what we're here for and I always want my customers to be satisfied with either their products or the resolution to the issue if the product isn't meeting crafters standards. I would rather have anything than a customer with a bad taste of SU! in their mouth. They are an amazing company and would've done their best to make it right with you.

I actually love Memento Tuxedo Black and am super happy that we'll be carrying it once our alcohol based markers release.

Distress inks are very cool but IMHO, there's still a necessity for a good, regular die ink too. I love the many techniques they can be used for but wouldn't want them as my every day stamping ink. Man alive, Jennifer McQuire makes me wish sometimes that I hadn't sold most of mine in my paper crafting sale, but I just never used them as I'm SUO now so they needed to get to a good home where someone would love and use them.
I bought them a few years ago so I didn't think SU would take them back or even replace the icky ones. I will try to contact my SU demonstrator and see what she says. You are right when you say that the Distress Inks are not for everyday use but for accents etc. and a good set of dye or pigment colors are needed. Momento....well that's still up in the air for me...don't get consistent deep black after the pad's been used even a short while. I still go back to Brilliance Ink. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

I recently bought the Hero Arts Hero Hues black ink pad and am loving it so far for it's really black stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I bought them a few years ago so I didn't think SU would take them back or even replace the icky ones. I will try to contact my SU demonstrator and see what she says. You are right when you say that the Distress Inks are not for everyday use but for accents etc. and a good set of dye or pigment colors are needed. Momento....well that's still up in the air for me...don't get consistent deep black after the pad's been used even a short while. I still go back to Brilliance Ink. Thanks for your input!
The company is most likely to replace your items the faster you contact them after having a problem, but you never know. In my experience, they're a great company who really wants to make sure everyone who orders from them is satisfied. I hope they're able to do something for you as good ink pads really are a large investment and you shouldn't have had this problem. Not sure after years, but it never hurts to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Check out My Favorite Things new Hybrid ink. I love them. You can use them to watercolor and with copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

This is just IMO....I too almost went with the whole set of SSS ink pads. I purchased one to test and I was not pleased with it at all. After that I decided on the MFT Hybrid inks, took my chances and got the whole set ....and I LOVE them. You can use copics with them (not sure you can do that with SSS ink pads). They come with refills too. I threw my memento tuxedo in the trash lol, I always hated how it never stamped out true black. The new black from MFT is a true deep black and I'm more than thrilled with the other colors as well. When I compared it to the SSS ink pad, there was no comparison ...MFT inks 100% better IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I wish I know what the best black pigment ink there is out there and the best black dye ink. Momento has not impressed me after seeing many use it on in demonstration videos. Glad to see the SSS evaluation, too.
After many years of stamping, I don't think there is a better black dye ink than Versafine Onyx black. I did a try out on my blog a few months ago with a number of blacks, and consistently the Versafine proved to give a better image than any of the others, with both solid and line stamps. Here, if you want to take a look at the results.
I also had reasonably good results with Brilliance Graphite Black pigment ink.
Reply With Quote Likes