Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Ranger melting pot (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/ranger-melting-pot-t562350.html)

Last Chance 54 10-09-2012 07:14 AM

Ranger melting pot
 
Anybody here have this tool? Do you use it often, and for what? I'm not a scrapbooker, mainly a greeting card-er. Bought some UTEE once, thinking it might be used for a glossy finish, then realized it's more complicated. I haven't bought a melting pot, but am a fool for tools in general, just wanted to hear from someone who has this gizmo. Apologies if the topic has been addressed earlier. Thanks! -Suz

lindylou1220 10-09-2012 07:48 AM

I purchased one (long ago). I think I used it exactly once, perhaps twice. It wasn't quite the easiest thing to use IMO though I had great hopes for it. I also felt like my clear EP turned yellow when I used it.

cbet 10-09-2012 08:24 AM

Fellow tool junkie, also purchased it and used it once. I want to make time to try more techniques with it, though.

The UTEE did turn yellow in it - It wasn't noticeable on the project, but it certainly was after I let it solidify and took it back out of the pot.

Somehow I'm thinking that if I purchase some of the extra pans for it, that I'll get more use out of it. But realistically, probably not :)

iamvics 10-09-2012 10:12 AM

I love my Melt Pot. I don't have space to leave it out but when I get it out I love to play with it. Ranger has a ton of videos with great techniques: Melt Art | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products

Nanettesplace 10-09-2012 01:54 PM

I use it for the little frames ranger makes for jewelry. You can put a picture in them and pour the utee right over it to fill the frame and the picture looks like its under glass. Like she said Ranger has a ton of video!

lutheran 10-10-2012 03:07 AM

I wonder if I can find mine? Got it years ago and used it a few times way back but it's not on my "go-to" tools list.
Mary Beth

cazzytoo 10-10-2012 03:49 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KEOqFLlt9x...magination.jpg

I love mine, don't use it often enough. You can get coloured UTEE and you can add colours to your clear UTEE.

You can use your UTEE with a heat gun too.

The image above was stamped in melted UTEE using the melt pot.

karjor 10-10-2012 11:52 AM

I just got one and was a bit intimidated about actually firing it up. Then I saw this card and had to try it. It was pretty simple, although a bit of trial and error. I watched a few videos to get the hang of it first. I don't have pictures of mine, but they turned out pretty well. http://images.splitcoaststampers.com...?ts=1349450705

cazzytoo 10-10-2012 12:32 PM

That is gorgeous, I have a real leaf I stamped into UTEE, well not the leaf the impression it left, the leaf is long gone. It has got a bit battered over time, I didn't ever use it on a card, it was too beautiful to use now it is too late.

jeanne3579 10-17-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjor (Post 19742718)
I just got one and was a bit intimidated about actually firing it up. Then I saw this card and had to try it. It was pretty simple, although a bit of trial and error. I watched a few videos to get the hang of it first. I don't have pictures of mine, but they turned out pretty well. http://images.splitcoaststampers.com...?ts=1349450705

How was this done using the melting pot. I want to get mine out right now and try it. With the leaves turning around here, it would be perfect timing!

asuncionshija 10-17-2012 08:47 AM

I too have a pot & don't use it very often. Yes, your clear UTEE will yellow - especially if you leave it heating for long. Just the nature of the beast.
It is excellent for pouring a puddle and stamping into (rubber only, clear might melt) to get a sort of seal. Once cool you can adhere to c/s like most embellies or you can heat the bottom with your heat gun & melt it to paper. There are also some GORGEOUS molds out there, check out After Midnight for molds and Opals (a different UTEE with amazing colors). You can do so many cool things with either dipping (I assume that's how the leaf was done) objects into your clear/colored UTEE or pouring or adding inclusions or, or, or.... :D

craftydscreations 10-17-2012 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my melting pot and recently made some jewelry with it. I put a piece of craft mat down in the pot, put a washer or something metal on that, left it heat and then put embossing powder on top of the metal, when that melted I added other metal items (flowers, butterflies etc). Then I put a thick coat of clear Utee on top of that and left melt. So fun.

karjor 10-17-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579 (Post 19760047)
How was this done using the melting pot. I want to get mine out right now and try it. With the leaves turning around here, it would be perfect timing!

It is actually watercolor paper and re-inkers, not real leaves - here is my version . I linked in my gallery to the directions in the gallery of the inspiration card. She used Versamark and UTEE, but I just dipped my paper leaves in the melting pot and then sort of wiped them along a teflon craft mat. Hen if anything did not look right, I held the leaf with tweezers and reheated with a heat gun just a bit. It was actually pretty easy. Just make sure you have enough UTEE in the pot to dip into.

jeanne3579 10-17-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjor (Post 19760729)
It is actually watercolor paper and re-inkers, not real leaves - here is my version . I linked in my gallery to the directions in the gallery of the inspiration card. She used Versamark and UTEE, but I just dipped my paper leaves in the melting pot and then sort of wiped them along a teflon craft mat. Hen if anything did not look right, I held the leaf with tweezers and reheated with a heat gun just a bit. It was actually pretty easy. Just make sure you have enough UTEE in the pot to dip into.

Thank you so much for the info. I can't wait to give it a try.

jeanne3579 10-17-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftydscreations (Post 19760487)
I love my melting pot and recently made some jewelry with it. I put a piece of craft mat down in the pot, put a washer or something metal on that, left it heat and then put embossing powder on top of the metal, when that melted I added other metal items (flowers, butterflies etc). Then I put a thick coat of clear Utee on top of that and left melt. So fun.

Amazing! You do beautiful work!

chocolate rose 10-17-2012 12:30 PM

I bought my Melting Pot years ago, and use it quite often- for all sorts of things. It has been one of my more useful tools, and I wouldn't give it up for anything or anyone. It is great to melt all sorts of things. As well as UTEE I also use a second tray on top for melting wax... So many uses and a lot of ideas are on line, so just look 'em up...
Diana

iamvics 10-17-2012 01:24 PM

Dipping shrink plastic shapes into the hot UTEE makes very cool charms.

You can bake polymer clay in it.

Reserve a spare project pan for chocolate/candy melts.

optotecha 10-21-2012 06:06 PM

I bought one last month with all kinds of ideas! I have yet to use it yet. Hopefully soon!

stampindoll 11-04-2012 05:16 PM

Decorate chipboard shapes and dip in UTEE to make jewelry or embellishments.

Scrapjanny 11-05-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvics (Post 19760942)
Dipping shrink plastic shapes into the hot UTEE makes very cool charms.

You can bake polymer clay in it.

Very interesting. How do you bake it, and what setting do you use? Thanks.

iamvics 11-05-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 19803796)
Very interesting. How do you bake it, and what setting do you use? Thanks.

Can I use the Melting Pot and a Project Pan for polymer clay?


Yes, using a Project Pan in the Melting Pot is a great way to cure polymer clay without burning the bottom of the clay piece. Place the clay directly in the Project Pan. (If you donít want the back of the clay piece that touches the pan to be shiny, put a piece of polyester batting cut to fit inside the pan before placing the clay in it.) Heat the Melting Pot to the UTEE setting (360 degrees). Since you are using the Project Pan, it will diffuse the heat to a lower temperature (about 265).

Depending upon the clay manufacturer's instructions, the rule of thumb is one quarter inch of clay takes 20 minutes. It is a good idea to have a thermometer handy to check the temperature of 265 as you would with your toaster oven as well - this assures that the clay is baked at the proper temperature so that the plasticizers built into the clay are baked out and that the cured clay is not brittle.

Video: Using the Melting Pot as an Oven for Polymer Clay Tutorial - YouTube

Scrapjanny 11-05-2012 09:32 AM

Very cool! Thanks, Vic.

iamvics 11-05-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 19804554)
Very cool! Thanks, Vic.

You're very welcome!

Last Chance 54 01-31-2015 10:33 AM

Have been using the melt pot like crazy, with UTEE and silicon molds. Son gave me beeswax for Christmas, for which I need the project pan. Searching high and low for the project pan; turns out it's been discontinued by the manufacturer. (Come on, Ranger, don't tease us like that!) Any recommendations? Thanks.

iamvics 01-31-2015 11:30 AM

Ranger has discontinued the Melt Pot and all the related accessories. If you find a project pan or other related "toys" grab it.

asuncionshija 01-31-2015 12:54 PM

Wow, I haven't pulled out my pot in YEARS! :) Seems to me that you could just use a little foil - as long as you put enough to go up the sides. Doesn't get hotter than the oven, at least not that I remember! ;)

craftydscreations 02-17-2015 04:13 PM

I saw a melting pot in my M's last week so there are still a few out there.

diecuts4u 02-19-2015 06:47 AM

another use for melting pot
 
we did a workshop where the facilitator had us dip our finished ATC cards in bees wax that had been melted in the melting pot. It is an awesome effect and would work on card front pieces, embellishments, etc.

bjaiwong 02-19-2015 08:58 PM

project pan
 
Does anyone know where I can order the project pan from? Has anyone tried heating beeswax in it without using the project pan?

iamvics 02-19-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjaiwong (Post 20902399)
Does anyone know where I can order the project pan from? Has anyone tried heating beeswax in it without using the project pan?

The wax melts at a very low temp and cleaning it out would be very difficult. I would use a flat can (like a tuna can) if you can't find a project pan. You can use pliers to pinch/form a pour spout.

jeanne3579 02-20-2015 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvics (Post 20902401)
The wax melts at a very low temp and cleaning it out would be very difficult. I would use a flat can (like a tuna can) if you can't find a project pan. You can use pliers to pinch/form a pour spout.

What a great idea! TFS

bjaiwong 03-05-2015 06:01 PM

I just received my melting pot yesterday, what a fantastic tool!!
I haven't tried it with uTEE yet but I have tried melting beeswax and shea butter in a stainless steel mini sauce dish in the pan (as I cannot find a project pan) and made 4 tubes of lip balm. No more double boiling in the kitchen for me! Woo hoo!!!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:55 PM.