Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Need Help! Cinch and spiral binding (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/need-help-cinch-spiral-binding-t559145.html)

addrennan 08-10-2012 05:56 PM

Need Help! Cinch and spiral binding

I just finished a busy book for my two year old and used the spiral binding to put it together. Unfortunately, he just keeps turning out of the pages. Is there a special trick to secure the ends of the spiral binding so that the book with stay bound?

buggainok 08-10-2012 06:08 PM

Here is a short video on youtube showing spiral binding. At the very end, he shows how to cut the binding and crimp it so that it doesn't come out of the holes.

How To Spiral Bind Papers - YouTube

It looks like you could do it with a small pair of pliers, but I'm sure there is probably a special "crimping" tool, because there is a tool for everything, lol.:)

Take a look at a regular spiral notebook. The end of the spiral wire is just bent back into the coil.

Hope this works. I'll bet your little son loves the book you made!

addrennan 08-10-2012 06:41 PM

Well this idea would work if the spirals were metal, but the Cinch spirals are plastic. I can't crimp them at all. When you cut them, you just have a loose end that doesn't hold the paper. I'm so frustrated and so is he. He keeps bringing the book back to me saying "fix."

addrennan 08-10-2012 06:53 PM

Well, frankly I feel quite stupid! :) After deperately trying to make this work I try to bend the "plastic" spiral binding like you would if it were metal. It worked!!! Yah!!! Just made a small loop in the end with needle nose pliers to make sure that the binding wouldn't slip through the holes when he turned the pages. Thanks for the help!!

buggainok 08-10-2012 08:22 PM

Hooray! Glad it worked for you.:)

craftymomto2 08-12-2012 01:02 PM

You are right Bugga, they do make a tool just for this purpose!

Crimping Pliers Demo for Plastic Coil Binding - YouTube

jeffnval 08-16-2012 09:09 PM

Subbing

scrapaholic RN 08-16-2012 09:38 PM

I just clip the ends with pliers and then bind the ends with the same pliers.

michelleh1 08-20-2012 04:32 PM

I'm so glad someone asked this question! I've had my plastic coils for quite a while now and I wasn't sure I would be able to bend them (I thought they would snap), so I never used them. I read this thread and immediately bound a book and just turned the ends in a little. Thank you!

addrennan 08-26-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelleh1 (Post 19631611)
I'm so glad someone asked this question! I've had my plastic coils for quite a while now and I wasn't sure I would be able to bend them (I thought they would snap), so I never used them. I read this thread and immediately bound a book and just turned the ends in a little. Thank you!

You don't know how good this makes me feel!! He He!!! I felt so silly after it worked in the most obvious way....

michelleh1 08-30-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by addrennan (Post 19645187)
You don't know how good this makes me feel!! He He!!! I felt so silly after it worked in the most obvious way....

I had heard that it could be done, but I just never tried (and I was paranoid to break the coil). I'm glad it works though!