Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making stamps from your Spellbinders D-lites

These dies actually cut Fun Foam - and given the troubles many of us have had with cutting CARDSTOCK with them, it flies in the face of reason. I just tried cutting sticky-backed Fun Foam with them and that worked too (didn't expect it to, but it did!)

Here is a selection that I cut yesterday:

I've stamped them with a variety of ink pads (all shown on my blog ) and show how to clean them (for most inks) as they don't hold up to vigorous scrubbing!

Here is one, stamped with chalk ink:

They are so pretty and as the stamps are made from the dies, you can easily cut them out with the frame part of the die. How cool is that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are great! I've hand cut fun foam to use for stamps too, but the dies make really pretty stamps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quickutz used to, hopefully still does, make foam specificlly for cutting with dies to use as stamps. Seemed denser to me. Stood up to cleaning well when used with dye ink anyway.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile Fun Foam

THANKS for sharing your experience and lots of pictures of cutting fun foam w/your dies. I have never tried to cut fun foam with Spellbinder dies. I have a Vagabond and I have used steel ruled dies to cut several fun foam stamps. They're terrific. We have $1 stores all over the U.S. and you can buy non-sticky back fun foam in packages of 10 or more 8-1/2 x 11 sheets for just $1. At that price, you can't go wrong experimenting and a couple times I actually cut a stamp, used it and then cut another to stamp in a different color. Hee! In addition to using the 1/4" fun foam for cutting stamps, I have purchased the thin foam (sold in packages of 15-20 sheets for $1) to die cut. I adhere my paper or cardstock to the fun foam, then cut. It is inexpensive and since it's the depth (thickness) of a dimensional (pop dot), I can use it directly on my card. After cutting it out, I then stamp on or color on the paper/card-stock as I wish, and if need be, color the exposed edges of the fun foam which are a noticeable, contrasting color, with the ink or a Sharpie pen (works good expect for some lighter shades of colors, depending on the effect you want.) Usually, however, unless the recipient looks at the card very closely, from an angle, they wouldn't even notice the edges. Also, these fun foam stamps are great inked, misted and then stamped. I have recently started experimenting with art journal pages and these fun foam stamps made from die cuts, have been fun to work with. I have especially liked the effect of inking then misting the stamp, then stamping onto the paper--or the opposite--inking and misting the paper, patting a tad, then stamping my fun foam stamp (inked or "naked") onto it. Woo-hoo! Crafting is sooo fun, isn't it? Okay, then. That's what I've got to share on this subject. Have a Happy! P.S. Don't forget to ink up and stamp with other materials as well ... such as recycled items. I hope to soon post some of these die cut fun foam projects I have worked on or maybe even "whip up" some new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I didn't even realize this was a "hot topic" till I got the Inkling email!

I thought I would clarify. The fun foam is sturdy, it's just the sticking that makes it less robust when it comes to scrubbing.

Not seen the QK foam but will certainly be on the lookout for that. Is is sticky-backed? If not, I think I might stick (ha,ha) with the fun foam! I've used these stamps a lot and the foam works as well as I could have hoped. I made this little ornament from 5 of them and the stamps worked a tread with the glitter embossing powder!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Wow! Yet another thing I must try.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Hi. QK marketed stamp foam, which has a type of cling back so you can easily place on and remove from your acryllic blocks or rockers. Lifestyle no longer sells it in their product line up. I have not personally used it, however, you can still find it for sale on-line. Here is a link to an Ebay seller in the U.K., who has it available:

QuicKutz / Lifestyle Crafts 2"x6" STAMPING FOAM STRIPS BNIP 12 Pack | eBay

I'm sure you might be able to find it elsewhere if you do a web search. Hope this info helps. Gabby

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukmaryanneView Post
I didn't even realize this was a "hot topic" till I got the Inkling email!

I thought I would clarify. The fun foam is sturdy, it's just the sticking that makes it less robust when it comes to scrubbing.

Not seen the QK foam but will certainly be on the lookout for that. Is is sticky-backed? If not, I think I might stick (ha,ha) with the fun foam! I've used these stamps a lot and the foam works as well as I could have hoped. I made this little ornament from 5 of them and the stamps worked a tread with the glitter embossing powder!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

You guys have got to quit coming up with new ideas for me to try. I'm already not going to live long enough to do all the things I have planned - Now I have to leave room for cutting my own stamps using dies. Kay (age 70)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

it's about time us Brits got you spending some money - you've been doing it to us for long enough!!! LOL!!!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

How funny you are near Newbury! Me to, sort of. Outside a small village cloer to Basingstoke
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Ukmaryanne, thanks very much for taking the time to take the photos, review the inks that work best and share your tips on making the stamps to match our dies. I used to do something similar years ago and your post was a good reminder to me that I dont have to spend a fortune on stamps and can make my own.
Reply With Quote Likes