Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   How do you put adhisive on small die cuts? (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/how-do-you-put-adhisive-small-die-cuts-t565026.html)

Diecutlady 11-27-2012 05:49 AM

How do you put adhisive on small die cuts?
 
I have the new D- lites poppie die and I do not know how to apply adhesive to the tiny stems??? Any suggestions.I was going to try a glue pen.

buggainok 11-27-2012 07:05 AM

Sometimes I use tiny dots of Mono Multi (green and white bottle) or a glue pen.

I don't do too many intricate die cuts like that, but I do small alpha letters. It is a tedious process to attach them and takes a steady hand.:)

Barbara Jay 11-27-2012 07:53 AM

I use my Xyron for small die cuts

muscrat 11-27-2012 07:58 AM

I use the Quickie glue pen, the zig glue pen and the xyron. My xyron is very small so if the piece is small enough, that will work fine, but most times it's too large to go through, so that is when I pull out the Quickie glue pen.

amydav 11-27-2012 08:10 AM

Ditto on the quickie glue pen! Works great.

Crafter 4 Life 11-27-2012 09:05 AM

I use the Xyron tape also. I have 2 sizes: 1 1//2" & 5". If the die cut image is really delicate, I put the c/s through the Xyron first then peel it away after I cut the image. There is a little static with the clear pull away portion but it is not as frustrating as having the image fall off the card.

I have not had much luck with the glue pen. Must be just me since OP seemed to like using it to stick images. I save the glue pen to use when I want a fine line of glitter.

craftykarla 11-27-2012 11:22 AM

Great question! I currently have the small Xyron and use it for those small enough to fit and the glue pen for others. Usually have more glue on me then the image, hee hee.

GypsyRoseStamper 11-27-2012 11:59 AM

I prefer the Tombo Mono Adhesive over the glue pen. Other ways I do it:

1-Run very small diecuts through the Xyron sticker maker, but I don't like all the edge tackiness I get when I use the large Zyron.

2-After placing and taping down the die to the paper, attach double-sided adhesive to the back and run it through the die cutter. You can peel the die with the adhesive from the tape backing. I use a tape about 1 1/2 inches wide and don't waste much.

3-Use DCWV matstacks with adhesive backed cardstock. Not the greatest of paper, I know, but the adhesive hold the die down well enough.

cr8iveme 11-27-2012 12:14 PM

I will usually just run the paper through my Xyron first. I have both the sticker maker and the Model 510.

If I forget to do that then I will use either CM Precision Point Adhesive or the SU! 2-Way Glue.

HTH,

PaperManipulator 11-28-2012 04:00 PM

Just today I was gluing the memory box snowflake ornament to the glitter paper solid ornament. I tried the quickie glue pen, but it didn't stick. I think the problem is that the die cut has a narrow "trough", for lack of a better word, on the bottom. It's cupped after cutting. The glue pen glue is very thin and didn't fill it up, so the glue didn't make contact with the glitter paper. I ended up using a thicker glue. A little messy, but it worked.

lynnez 11-29-2012 05:31 AM

I love the Thermo-Web product made specifically for small die cuts (Sticky Dots). You just lay your die cut onto the sticky paper and then put the top sheet which is kind of like wax paper down and rub. So much less waste than the Xyron X which was what I used to use. These sticky dots come in either 8 1/2 x 11 size of a smaller 6x6 size. They are the absolute best!

Stampisa 11-29-2012 08:33 AM

I usually use a toothpick and ordinary liquid glue... works pretty good for me.
Cheers
Isa

lylacfey 11-29-2012 10:38 PM

I use the toothpick and liquid glue method too. I love to do Scherenschnitte and this seems to be the preferred method from the top artists who work with intricate cuts. I have also used my Xyron too. I use Aleene's Tacky Glue. I like Scotch Quick Dry. Scotch Quick Dry is acid free.

PaperCapers 12-05-2012 04:11 AM

Glue 'n Seal works well.

bthomas418 12-05-2012 04:26 AM

I use my Stampin Up 2 Way Glue. I do a lot of Cricut intricate cuts for letters and designs and have never found a better product. You can apply as much glue as you like. I apply glue onto backs right on the table...when all done, I wipe the table with damp cloth. Most table surfaces just need small anount of dish soap and water to clear up.

jodylb 12-05-2012 04:34 AM

Aleene's Crystal Clear Tacky Spray and tweezers. The greatest thing about this spray is that if you get a little seepage on the front of the die cut, it isn't sticky after it dries, unlike the other sprays I've tried. I also like MS ballpoint-tip glue pen.

cookiebeagle 12-05-2012 05:38 AM

Thermo-Web Sticky Dots
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnez (Post 19855306)
I love the Thermo-Web product made specifically for small die cuts (Sticky Dots). You just lay your die cut onto the sticky paper and then put the top sheet which is kind of like wax paper down and rub. So much less waste than the Xyron X which was what I used to use. These sticky dots come in either 8 1/2 x 11 size of a smaller 6x6 size. They are the absolute best!

I've never heaerd of this product; where can you find it? Sounds like a great solution to me.
Also, I have had luck with running dotto adhesive on the back of intricate and smaller pieces. Although it is "repositionable", it will hold stuff together. When you stick it down, hold it and warm it well to set the bond. Much nicer than snail.

from the heart 12-05-2012 06:32 AM

Glossy Accents works well for intricate cutouts. Just little dots of it and it
dries clear so you never know it was there.

Paper Crazy Lady 12-05-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookiebeagle (Post 19867667)
I've never heaerd of this product; where can you find it? Sounds like a great solution to me.
Also, I have had luck with running dotto adhesive on the back of intricate and smaller pieces. Although it is "repositionable", it will hold stuff together. When you stick it down, hold it and warm it well to set the bond. Much nicer than snail.

If you Google the product, you get lots of sources. Here's the top one:
Sticky Dots Adhesive </br>Large Sheets*| Therm O Web Online

sheri52 12-05-2012 01:58 PM

ADHESIVE
 
I am using a product called Heat n Bond, originally for sewing.
You will need an iron. It works great on my memory box ornaments.
It is a little time consuming to iron 2 times, but its better than using some type of glue.

velvetmoonwind 12-05-2012 02:20 PM

I use quite a few of the intricate dies. I have fallen in love with Aleene's Crystal clear Tacky Spray! A 2 second spritz and I am done! I have a box that I use for spray misting and it is great to spray the glue also.














++++++++++++++++++

idletiger 12-05-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodylb (Post 19867582)
Aleene's Crystal Clear Tacky Spray

I need to try this!

Sometimes, before removing the die cut from the rest of the paper, I'll gently run a glue stick over the intricate parts. Then, I'll separate the die cut and toss the scrap. Hope this makes sense.

Rebecca Ednie 12-05-2012 04:42 PM

I like a quickie glue pen or scrap happy glue because of the fine tip. I've also used glossy accents though I preferred matte accents which they no longer make because if I messed up, the mistake wasn't shiny. Sometimes I use a two way glue pen.

Joan from Joan's gardens recommends Ranger's Glue n Seal which to me seems a lot like matte accents. It comes in a small pot with a brush built in to the lid. You can brush it on the back and even if some gets on the front of the die cut, it dries clear and totally matte. So unless the paper you are using is glossy, it won't show. I don't prefer it but you guys might want to try it. I prefer to use it as a sealer.

jeffnval 12-05-2012 05:31 PM

I also REALLY like a Quilling glue bottle. I purchased a set of two and the actual tip of the bottle is a medical needle that is attached. The very tip of the needle is flattened and has a tiny pin to keep it from clogging.

You can fill it with your glue of choice. I have one with Glossy accents and one with Scotch Quick Dry at the moment. But I have used Aleene's Tacky, Tombo Mono Multi, and Aleene's Tack-It-Over-and -Over. I get the tiniest bead of glue.

susanbri 12-05-2012 08:39 PM

I was reading one of the Memory Box blogs and they suggested Clearsnap Glue Gloss -

Clearsnap Glue Gloss Glue Gloss

I bought some and it seems pretty good. But I'm interested in trying the Sticky Dots that lynnez recommended - they sound ideal.

Craftlover 12-05-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampisa (Post 19855737)
I usually use a toothpick and ordinary liquid glue... works pretty good for me.
Cheers
Isa

I do the same. Toothpick is my best friend :0)

goodgram64 12-06-2012 12:50 AM

This is a little off-track, but sometimes I have some residue glue when I use my Xyron I I went to a Mrs. Grossman's class a long time ago and she said to use baby powder to eliminate the stickiness. JUst sprinkle on and remove excess. Sometimes not the best on dark paper though.

jasonw1 12-08-2012 09:14 PM

OMG GLUE N SEAL by Ranger is the BEST glue in the world for tiny hard to apply to dies. It comes in Glossy and Matte and the Matte is the one you want. The really good news is that they sell it at Michaels. You can use a coupon. The other really good news is that it is NOT expensive, It comes in two sizes. The small one has a built in brush. I get both sizes and refill the small one because I like not having to clean the brush. Here is a link for those of you who don't have a Michaels close. Also so you can see what you are looking for. This is the small Matte size. You can get it all over the project you are working on and you won't see it when it dries. It is AWESOME!!! It is definitly my go-to glue!!!

Glue N Seal - Matte - 1 oz. - Inkssentials [29502] - $3.49 : Crop Stop!, Your one-stop cropping solution

The small one is also great to carry with you when you got to classes..

Enjoy!!!!

Peggy

jeffnval 12-09-2012 09:40 AM

OK Ladies!

I finally sat down last light to do my Christmas cards. I had decided to use the Christmas Tree Spellbinder die. It is so beautiful and Ornate. I was making 65 cards. I had an assembly line going as I worked process. Let me tell you that longest most stressful part was actually cutting the die. (Actually it was getting the paper out of the die...OH EM GHEE!)

So, I was originally going to pop up the Tree on foam tape. But about about 2 hours of cutting the tiniest strips and fussing with it sticking to the scissors ect. I only was able to finish two tress. I gave up!

I decided to get my quilling bottle of glue out and work with that. However w/ this particular die. You can not just put a few dot of glue in strategic spots. It needs full coverage due to the swirls that were a bit "stretched" out from pulling it out of the die. RATS.

So I got out the sticky dots that are designed for detailed cuts. Well that was a mess b/c the swirls of the tress were being pulled and stretched even more as I tried to lift it off the backing sheet. RATS again.

So I tried placing the trees up-side-down in a box and used spray adhesive. BINGO!

I finished the rest of the tress in 5 min!

Thanks to all of you who recommend the Spray adhesive.

Valerie

Has anyone else worked with this die? What worked for you?
I got the Dots adhesive and worked wo

debbiemom23cs 12-11-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnval (Post 19874788)
OK Ladies!

I finally sat down last light to do my Christmas cards. I had decided to use the Christmas Tree Spellbinder die. It is so beautiful and Ornate. I was making 65 cards. I had an assembly line going as I worked process. Let me tell you that longest most stressful part was actually cutting the die. (Actually it was getting the paper out of the die...OH EM GHEE!)

So, I was originally going to pop up the Tree on foam tape. But about about 2 hours of cutting the tiniest strips and fussing with it sticking to the scissors ect. I only was able to finish two tress. I gave up!

I decided to get my quilling bottle of glue out and work with that. However w/ this particular die. You can not just put a few dot of glue in strategic spots. It needs full coverage due to the swirls that were a bit "stretched" out from pulling it out of the die. RATS.

So I got out the sticky dots that are designed for detailed cuts. Well that was a mess b/c the swirls of the tress were being pulled and stretched even more as I tried to lift it off the backing sheet. RATS again.

So I tried placing the trees up-side-down in a box and used spray adhesive. BINGO!

I finished the rest of the tress in 5 min!

Thanks to all of you who recommend the Spray adhesive.

Valerie

Has anyone else worked with this die? What worked for you?
I got the Dots adhesive and worked wo

I use my Xyron for that die and it worked great. Also if you place a piece of waxed paper between the die and the cardstock everything will pop right out with no fuss!

jeanne3579 12-14-2012 06:26 PM

Xyron or spray glue for intricate pieces or I would lose what little mind I have left!

susanbri 12-14-2012 09:25 PM

I just bought some of the ThermoWeb Sticky Dots that Lynnez mentioned in post#11. I tried them with the very thin Memory Box Holly Vine die and they worked wonderfully. Thank you so much for mentioning it, Lynnez.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:11 AM.