Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Embossing Buddy Substitute (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/embossing-buddy-substitute-t560198.html)

gotthebug818 08-30-2012 12:57 PM

Embossing Buddy Substitute

I've been wanting an Embossing Buddy from SU! for ages, but I just can't bring myself to order it. Is there anything you ladies substitute for an Embossing Buddy that is an around-the-house kind of item??? I need one so bad for my heat embossing projects!

muscrat 08-30-2012 03:29 PM

I've heard cornstarch works. Not sure what they put it in though....

karjor 08-30-2012 05:42 PM

I think I read on SCS that the Embossing Buddy is fullers earth. You might try cornstarch or talc in the end of a pantyhose, might want to double it up if too much comes out. Some times, when I can't find mine, I use a swiffer dust sheet and that seems to help.

highflo 08-30-2012 11:17 PM

Hi, I have used a dryer sheet. The good part is it works best if it is used.

sarahbe492 08-30-2012 11:31 PM

I love the embossing buddy and have had it for 4 years. It won't run out or stop working if you were worried about spending the money on something that didn't have longevity. I have tried the dryer sheet in a pinch but it doesn't do as good of a job as the embossing buddy. And I'd make a giant mess if I used cornstarch or something (you should see my kitchen when I cook...yowza!!!)

cat_woman 08-30-2012 11:52 PM

Cornstarch works well. You can buy the embossing buddy at Michaels too - that's where I got mine. If you have a printer near you, you may be able to buy a small amount of fullers earth (only need a couple ounces). There is another product that I can't remember the name of sold by the same girl who sells Perfect Scrap glue or something to that effect. I think they call it the static buddy or something. The memory is the first thing to go when you get older... :)

lylacfey 08-31-2012 12:55 AM

I filled up a thin piece of fabric with cornstarch and tied it with a pretty ribbon.

shazsilverwolf 09-02-2012 01:14 AM

A small babies sock filled with either cornstatch, talc or fullers earth works. As do used tumble drier sheets (used works better for some reason). Also the anti static cloths you can buy-or the ones that look like the old feather dusters with loads of nylon filaments.

LadybugLin 09-02-2012 02:30 PM

I got something similar at M's, using a 40% off coupon. Works the same way. Sorry can't remember the name of it. I'll see if I can put my fingers on it and will let you know later.

grannyof8 09-05-2012 04:14 AM

I made my own by using a newborn bottie sock; added cornstarch or can use Talcum powder and sewed the opening shut and it works great.
I got the newborn socks from my daughter when the baby out grew them of which my youngest grandaughter is now 4 and just started pre-K.

Used dryer sheets are good too - better if they've been run through the machine a few times as they will leave streaks if they're 'fresh'.

If you would like to make your own using a scrap of fabric here is a link with simple instructions. **Scraptastic Memories<3: make your own embossing buddy!!

ranalouwho 09-05-2012 04:51 AM

I find I don't like it on dark colors. Stays on the darker colors. Hey, I be the chaulk eraser would work for that. Chaulk from Stampin UP

salabob 09-05-2012 05:39 AM

Embossing Budde

I made a small pouch of cotton and put cornstarch in it. It works great!!!

browpr 09-05-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_woman (Post 19654632)
Cornstarch works well. You can buy the embossing buddy at Michaels too - that's where I got mine. If you have a printer near you, you may be able to buy a small amount of fullers earth (only need a couple ounces). There is another product that I can't remember the name of sold by the same girl who sells Perfect Scrap glue or something to that effect. I think they call it the static buddy or something. The memory is the first thing to go when you get older... :)

I think you are referring to the Perfect Crafting Pouch formerly named the Perfect Printing pouch. I've used this for years and love how it can perfect my stamping on ribbons.

GlendaC 09-05-2012 12:03 PM

I make my own and show you how here if you are interested Make your own anti-static bag - YouTube

baker44 09-05-2012 06:30 PM

There's a great tutorial on youtube about using a dryer sheet. I think I like it much better than the buddy, tho I have that too.
Val

jeanne3579 09-06-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranalouwho (Post 19665067)
I find I don't like it on dark colors. Stays on the darker colors. Hey, I be the chaulk eraser would work for that. Chaulk from Stampin UP

I had the same reaction until I used a Swiffer Sweeper dry refill. (This what I use for dusting everything around the house, sans the actual sweeper.) Just wait until the embossing is completely cool and wipe it well---all the white powder comes off like magic.