Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Electronic pencil sharpener (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/electronic-pencil-sharpener-t560417.html)

connie leone 09-03-2012 04:59 PM

Electronic pencil sharpener

Hi all! This afternoon while getting my sons supplies for school ready, my electric pencil sharpener decided it doesn't want to sharpen anymore :( It is a Boston electric and I have had it for as long as I can remember. I would also use this to sharpen all of my colored pencils, ie- Prismas, Derwents, and my chalk colored pencils. Does anybody have any suggestions for a new one?

Thanks in advance,
Connie

nenebird 09-07-2012 07:36 PM

Xacto teacher model...Has rotating disc that will sharpen alot of different size pencils. Plus its quiet. I think mine was $35.

cbet 09-08-2012 04:34 AM

I have a really cheap $5 model from Staples that I love. It runs on batteries - no power cord option. I've had this one for over 3 years now and it works great on everything I've thrown at it - prismacolors, regular pencils, chalk pencils. I figure for only $5, I'm not going to be too upset when it breaks; in fact, this year I picked up another one at the back-to-school sales just in case.

I should mention, I think the price on this when it's not back to school time is around $10. But if you buy now, it costs less and is available in better colors than standard office fake-woodgrain.

scalder1 09-12-2012 08:33 AM

Some electric sharpeners don't like sharpening too many pencil crayons. Over the years they clog up! Try using a brush and cleaning it out once in awhile. I have had an electric one for YEARS, a Boston Mighty Might. Not sure where I got it but it is still going strong:)

jeanne3579 09-12-2012 10:31 AM

For very soft pencils, I use a hand held manual job that is meant for eyeliner pencils. It is a very good metal one---not plastic---and does a great job without breaking the "lead"

connie leone 09-12-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalder1 (Post 19681849)
Some electric sharpeners don't like sharpening too many pencil crayons. Over the years they clog up! Try using a brush and cleaning it out once in awhile. I have had an electric one for YEARS, a Boston Mighty Might. Not sure where I got it but it is still going strong:)

Thank-you for that tip, I will definitely try it. When I insert the pencil it's like it cant grab it (kwim?) so maybe that is the issue. Maybe I'm lazy but I do like an electric sharpener!

Thanks again!

connie leone 09-12-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scalder1 (Post 19681849)

Hooray it worked!!! I actually used the dh's compressor! She is working like brand new! I also give her brand new rubber feet for the bottoms! (What was there was gone!!) Thanks again!

cbet 09-13-2012 06:36 AM

Another tip - when you're sharpening a lot of colored pencils, slip a regular graphite pencil in once and a while. The graphite in the lead helps clean and lubricate the blades.

connie leone 09-13-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbet (Post 19683991)
Another tip - when you're sharpening a lot of colored pencils, slip a regular graphite pencil in once and a while. The graphite in the lead helps clean and lubricate the blades.

Good to know! Thank-you for the tip! Now I have to remember that! Lol