Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/)
-   -   Copic Beginner: What colors to choose (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-f128/copic-beginner-what-colors-choose-t454840.html)

MadgeRPh 08-20-2009 01:51 PM

Copic Beginner: What colors to choose
 
I have searched the gazillion Copic threads and I apologize for starting another. I have finally decided to take the Copic plunge. My first dilemma was which ones. I think I have decided on the Sketch markers. I do have a few Copic Ciaos and I have not been bowled over by them

Second was price. Oozark.com seems to have the best pricing but many items are out of stock.

But I am completely bewildered and overwhelmed by the color choices. I like the way Flourishes has gropued them into families and that might be a possibility.

Are there certain colors to start with or should I just choose individual colors that I like?

Please help!!!!

bwstamper 08-20-2009 02:52 PM

I think it is a good idea to choose the colors that you use a lot and buy 3 in the same color family - the letter the same and also the first number the same with 2 or 3 numbers difference in the last number (example Y21, Y24, Y27). This is for blending purposes. If you do not like the Ciao markers, you might want to just pick up a few sketch to see if you like them. They are very similar to the Ciaos. Others who have more experience than I do may have a different opinion.

nabush 08-20-2009 04:13 PM

My first purchase would be a good couple or trio for coloring skin tones. Next I would try for a good combo for hair. Go to Suzanne Dean's blog...www.scrapbitz.blogspot.com

mireles4 08-20-2009 04:38 PM

skin tones are a must have as well as some good grays Cool & Warm have their purpose. I was in your boat and their is so much info that u will go crazy trying to look it up on the copic thread. What i did was go on flourishes website as well as susan dean's blog to look at her tutorials then going to her store susanascustomart.com to see what colors she was grouping together as must haves then picked what I liked.. Good luck my best advise is like the pp said to pick colors you like and stay within that family..

Lainy67 08-20-2009 05:34 PM

The color choices differ for every person. If you can find cards on blogs, or in the gallery that you like, and think you would want to do those types of colors, or stamps, then you can see what they used and pick from those.

As for me, I prefer the Cool Greys. If I had to pick a grouping from each color, it would probably be the Y2x family, YR2x, G2X, R2X, B2X or B9X, BG7X, YG6X, RV3X, V0X, abd BV0X. From Es, I would get the E000, E00 and E02, but then also the E3X family for browns. Those ar ethe ones I lean toward personally. I know others thought that don't use those families, but go for other shades.

Unless you have some you can really blend with, then it is hard to get a feel for them. I know a lot of people do the one of each color, but then you don't get the true effect, because only certain colors really allow blending cross families (Some YGs and Gs blend really well and some YRs and Ys or Es do as well). Another mistake I hear about is people buy mid-range colors, or dark colors only. That was my initial problem with reds of all things. I had R24 and R29. While that blends really well sometimes, I didn't really get a great effect with them until I added the R22 as the base, and then toned over with the R24 and a touch of the R29.

jenlovecopic 10-23-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadgeRPh (Post 14935774)
I have searched the gazillion Copic threads and I apologize for starting another. I have finally decided to take the Copic plunge. My first dilemma was which ones. I think I have decided on the Sketch markers. I do have a few Copic Ciaos and I have not been bowled over by them

Second was price. Oozark.com seems to have the best pricing but many items are out of stock.

But I am completely bewildered and overwhelmed by the color choices. I like the way Flourishes has gropued them into families and that might be a possibility.

Are there certain colors to start with or should I just choose individual colors that I like?

Please help!!!!

If 144 colors is enough for one collection and you're on a budget the best way is to go with the Ciao. I love the color selection so I personally like Copic Sketch (334 colors).

Price - I shop at dickblick.com, iCopic.com, & eclecticpaperie.com - just like you ooz have to many out of stock colors and I like to shop at a store that have everything I need "IN STOCK" :o

How to choose the colors: I would suggest starting out with color that you usually use for your artwork. I like to color a lot of flower so i tend to buy a lot of green, brown, blue, red, orange, pink, violet, & gray. But I only buy 2 or 3 per color (different tone so you can blend them). A must have is your black and the colorless blender (ohhh boy..I love the colorless blender). Hope this help.



xoxo,
Jen

sillyfilly 01-16-2010 06:38 PM

Well I placed my first order with Carpe Diem for 38 markers. That's what I could afford right now. I have searched so many blogs trying to find what is best to start with and it was just so over whelming. I went with the ones I liked the best. Hope to have them here this coming week to play with.

GrammaPixel 01-16-2010 08:30 PM

Its really a matter of personal need and taste........... and the images you will be using copics with.

That being said.......... here is what i used to buy my copics. I have found this site to be invaluable:

http://flourishesnewsletter.blogspot...ollection.html

Hope you find this useful!

markie's mom 01-17-2010 09:33 AM

Okay...prices are best a

www.icopic.com

They BEAT EVERYONE!!! CALL THEM!

(I buy mine and Markie's from them!)

Second, you need to purchase colors that are CLOSE, like 3 yellows, 3 blues, 3 greens, 3 reds, 3 flesh, 3 brown, a black and 3 browns. These will allow you to create OTHER colors if you blend while wet! AND...they allow you to color blend same colors to create seamless blends. It is better to purchase open stock, too, as many sets just have 1 or 2 of each color...These usually don't blend well.

Good luck!

cobby 01-17-2010 07:43 PM

I am in a bit of the same dilemma. I know I want the Sketch. After spending hours reading the threads and checking the recommended blogs, tutorials, and online places like Flourishes for advice on colors; I thought I had my list made.

Then I found a list someone posted giving the Copic matches for Stampin' Up colors. Being a former demo I have all the paper and this is what I use when I make cards. So...I thought maybe I should go with the matches for the colors I use most often. After watching a tutorial on YouTube with someone who uses only the very lightest in a color group ( those that end with 000's for example) and a very dark shade to do all her blending, I thought maybe that system would work for me and I could get lots of colors I like and still keep it to a total of 30 markers.

I've got my list ready but I haven't bitten the bullet yet and ordered anywhere. I've checked out Carpediem.com and know how much it would cost to place the order there. It's a huge jump for me to take but after playing with two or three of these markers I really like them. I will get my courage up soon I think!

ThatGirlThere 01-17-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobby (Post 15927731)
I am in a bit of the same dilemma. I know I want the Sketch. After spending hours reading the threads and checking the recommended blogs, tutorials, and online places like Flourishes for advice on colors; I thought I had my list made.

Then I found a list someone posted giving the Copic matches for Stampin' Up colors. Being a former demo I have all the paper and this is what I use when I make cards. So...I thought maybe I should go with the matches for the colors I use most often. After watching a tutorial on YouTube with someone who uses only the very lightest in a color group ( those that end with 000's for example) and a very dark shade to do all her blending, I thought maybe that system would work for me and I could get lots of colors I like and still keep it to a total of 30 markers.

I've got my list ready but I haven't bitten the bullet yet and ordered anywhere. I've checked out Carpediem.com and know how much it would cost to place the order there. It's a huge jump for me to take but after playing with two or three of these markers I really like them. I will get my courage up soon I think!

You sound like me when I was thinking of buying my first Copics. I read everything, then I thought I knew my color choices, then read some more, changed stuff, got confused, read more, got overwhelmed, confused, and OY LOL I was so afraid to take the plunge. Picking out your first colors are soooo confusing!! What I ended up doing was picking a stamp I wanted to do, which first was a 4th of July stamp and I got colors just for that. That was much easier. I did go to a store and just stand there, brought my paper and tested the colors. One thing keep in your mind, what marianne says from "I like Markers" pick light colors. You will want to pick dark colors because you will like them, but alone they will be too dark.
I am still a bit scared of my Copics LOL I can do faces, but when it comes to bigger area's I chicken out and use my prisma's LOL
Good Luck to whoever is getting ready to take the Copic plunge LOL

cobby 01-18-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThere (Post 15928235)
You sound like me when I was thinking of buying my first Copics. I read everything, then I thought I knew my color choices, then read some more, changed stuff, got confused, read more, got overwhelmed, confused, and OY LOL I was so afraid to take the plunge. Picking out your first colors are soooo confusing!! What I ended up doing was picking a stamp I wanted to do, which first was a 4th of July stamp and I got colors just for that. That was much easier. I did go to a store and just stand there, brought my paper and tested the colors. One thing keep in your mind, what marianne says from "I like Markers" pick light colors. You will want to pick dark colors because you will like them, but alone they will be too dark.
I am still a bit scared of my Copics LOL I can do faces, but when it comes to bigger area's I chicken out and use my prisma's LOL
Good Luck to whoever is getting ready to take the Copic plunge LOL

You must have read my mind!! Last night after posting my comment I started thinking about how I don't have many stamps that require coloring. Up until now I've always used stamps that gave me more of an "instant gratification" feeling. Stamp here, stamp there...DONE! Whew.

So I thought, maybe I should just pick out a few stamps I like that need coloring; and then only buy the Copics that go with those stamps? OY!! So much pressure!! LOL . I'll take the plunge eventually, I really have an "obsession" with markers. ( and paper, and stamps...)

CarolAnnB 01-19-2010 03:38 PM

I just took the plunge. Went with the sketch markers and bought them from Carpediemstore.com - they are only $3.95 and free shipping on orders over $100 (didn't take much to get to $100 - LOL) I used a list I found somewhere to pick colors (can't remember where and I just ordered them on Sunday!) - I so agree it's overwhelming to decide!

Allistamps123 01-20-2010 02:44 AM

Gina K has a tutorial on buying and using 10 (I think or maybe 12) basic colors and how to shade to achieve great results with just a few copics. A great video and what I plan to do when I take the copics plunge.

rachelgirl014 01-23-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolAnnB (Post 15939002)
I just took the plunge. Went with the sketch markers and bought them from Carpediemstore.com - they are only $3.95 and free shipping on orders over $100 (didn't take much to get to $100 - LOL) I used a list I found somewhere to pick colors (can't remember where and I just ordered them on Sunday!) - I so agree it's overwhelming to decide!

curious what colors you ended up with

CarolAnnB 01-25-2010 02:33 PM

Here is the list of the ones I bought - I also had about 10 primary colors that my daughter bought me for Christmas.
G20-Wax White, G40-Dim Green, G82-Spring Dim Green, B91-Pale Grayish Blue, B93-Light Crockery Blue, B97-Night Blue, E000-Pale Fruit, R22-Light Prawn, V95- Light Grape, V99-Aubergine, YR000-Silk, V93-Early Grape, R83-Rose Mist, BG72-Ice Ocean, BG75-Abyss Green, Multiliner 0.03 Black, E00-Skin White, E11-Barely Beige, E29- Burnt Umber, E33-Sand, E39-Leather, G99-Olive, R20-Blush, R24-Prawn, RV21-Light Pink, V12-Pale Lilac, V15-Mallow, V17-Amethyst, Y11-Pale Yellow, Y13-Lemon Yellow, Y21-Buttercup Yellow, Y26-Mustard, YG67-Moss, YR00-Powder Pink, YR02-Light Orange, YR12-Loquat, B21-Baby Blue, B24-Sky, B26-Cobalt Blue, BG10-, Cool Shadow, BG11-Moon White, V000-Pale Heath, Y000-Pale Lemon, E25-Caribe Cocoa, E34-Orientale, E53- Raw Silk, YG63-Pea Green, YR18-Sanguine, RV23-Pure Pink, R81-Rose Pink, R85-Rose Red, RV000-Pale Purple, C3-Cool Gray, C7-Cool Gray, C9-Cool Gray, 0- Colorless Blender

angelia 01-25-2010 07:07 PM

Copic
 
Wait a little bit because they have some new sketch sets coming out. Package of 72.
Angelia

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadgeRPh (Post 14935774)
I have searched the gazillion Copic threads and I apologize for starting another. I have finally decided to take the Copic plunge. My first dilemma was which ones. I think I have decided on the Sketch markers. I do have a few Copic Ciaos and I have not been bowled over by them

Second was price. Oozark.com seems to have the best pricing but many items are out of stock.

But I am completely bewildered and overwhelmed by the color choices. I like the way Flourishes has gropued them into families and that might be a possibility.

Are there certain colors to start with or should I just choose individual colors that I like?

Please help!!!!


rachelgirl014 01-26-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelia (Post 15981574)
Wait a little bit because they have some new sketch sets coming out. Package of 72.
Angelia

tell me more about the new sets please!

Michellena317 02-24-2010 10:13 AM

:)3 markers that pair well together for shading chosen from each family, and put in sets of 36 based on the 4 family criteria: Basics, Mutes, Earth, & Brights can be found here

Michellena317 02-24-2010 10:17 AM

StampinScrapping also has some sets put together for coloring Magnolia stamps here.

sprtchick 11-10-2010 12:10 PM

I found all the Copic Sketch markers I could ever want at Oozak.com: 'eCustomer' Service at it's BEST!. If you log in/or create an account they are only $4.15 each. I think free shipping was at $50.00 but that was not a worry for me because I spent way more than that..lol

sprtchick 11-10-2010 12:10 PM

The way I picked my first ones was looking at the groupings on the Papertrey website...I bought them that way..will fill in more later.
blessings.

LorraineBK 11-10-2010 05:29 PM

The sites that give you grouping suggestions are great. You could drive yourself crazy trying to select them yourself. This makes it so much easier. Thanks for the links.

Muse 11-14-2011 03:29 PM

subbing

Alaska Girl 03-08-2012 06:39 AM

How do I know what colors coordinate?
 
Hi, I have been looking all over trying to figure out how to choose the colors that coordinate with the main color I am using in an image. I have purchased the colors I like in trios for blending. Now how do I choose the greens for the leaves and the yellows for the flower centers to go with the pink trios I have for the flowers? Is there a method to choosing the coordinating colors?

Thanks for your help!

Michellena317 03-08-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Girl (Post 19254284)
Hi, I have been looking all over trying to figure out how to choose the colors that coordinate with the main color I am using in an image. I have purchased the colors I like in trios for blending. Now how do I choose the greens for the leaves and the yellows for the flower centers to go with the pink trios I have for the flowers? Is there a method to choosing the coordinating colors?

Thanks for your help!

I like to use the "Eyeball Method" by looking at the Copic Color Wheel. Say my main color is RV13. For the flower center I would look at the color wheel and find something in the same ring in the same number family from the yellow family like Y13 and then pick something in the same ring in the yellow-green family like YG13. That usually works for finding something that looks nice together.

Alaska Girl 03-08-2012 08:01 AM

ohhhhhh, that makes perfect sense! Thanks so much!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:22 PM.