Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polymer clay in the Cuttlebug?

Hi all,
I'm new here. I tried to do a search to see if I could find my answer without bugging anyone. Been playing with Polymer clay lately and wondered if you can run thin slices through the Cuttlebug to emboss or cut. I see that the Wizard has a special mat for polymer clay. Has anyone tried that? Also wonderd if I could run the Cuttlebug embossing folders through my pasta machine with clay since I don't have a Cuttlebug yet. Thanks for any tips or info.
Bethany
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Default Note to Self

Experiment #1:
Do NOT put sheet of clay in Cuttlebug embossing folder and run through pasta machine even if you coated both sides with a release agent. BIG MESS.

Anyone know how to get clay off of embossing plate?

Postive note:
Looks like I can use the embossing folders to just hand stamp into the clay.

I'm imagining I CANNOT use clay sheets in the Cuttlebug after my just now messy experiment with the pasta machine. But would love to know if anyone else has tried clay in the Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't tried it...but that's because i never thought baout it....Thanks for your research....I am giggling a little because it is something I would totally do!!! Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

I am not big on the polymer clay but I have the Cuttlebug and I *think* you *might* be able to do it in the CB. SInce you have a little control over the pressure the CB will apply. My suggestion is find a friend who has a CB and use that embossing plate with polymer all over it already

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Gosh I just wouldn't do this. It seems like it would get stuck in the die and not make a clean cut. I don't think it would hurt the cuttlebug, but it might definitely ruin your dies. I have no experience though - this is just a guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethanyemView Post
Experiment #1:
Do NOT put sheet of clay in Cuttlebug embossing folder and run through pasta machine even if you coated both sides with a release agent. BIG MESS.

Anyone know how to get clay off of embossing plate?

Postive note:
Looks like I can use the embossing folders to just hand stamp into the clay.

I'm imagining I CANNOT use clay sheets in the Cuttlebug after my just now messy experiment with the pasta machine. But would love to know if anyone else has tried clay in the Cuttlebug.
Well. . . I'm glad you tried this before I did! You just saved me a mess. LOL! Have you tried rubbing alcohol to remove it from the plate or folder? That's what I use on my pasta machine and acrylic roller/brayer to remove it.

I might try dusting up one of my folders with corn starch and laying a sheet of clay on it, then gently roll over the clay with my brayer. If that doesn't work, then I'll have only one side of the folder to get the clay out of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I wonder if it would work if you partially cured the clay first and then ran it through the CB?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

What a great forum this is. Thanks for all the replies and for laughing with me. Thanks for the alcohol tip. I will try that right away. What a mess I made! I think I will try the corn startch and braying. Can't hurt at this point. I know I just pressed one of the little kitty embossing folders into the clay and got a great image. I am going to try to make something that way this afternoon. Thanks!
I think the idea about the partially cured clay is a good one. I've been dreaming about getting a Klik-n-Kut and they say you can cut clay in it, but I think it has to be somewhat cured. I don't know if you can emboss at that point since the clay will be hardened. I was really trying to see if I could use embossing folders in a machine with clay. Looks like you might be able to do this with the Wizard machine. Anyone try it?
Thanks everyone! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

What if you tried to emboss it with waxed paper sandwiching the clay inside the folder? Or saran wrap? hmmm, now I'm curious with my idea...maybe I will pull out a folder that I don't care that much about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

ok, didn't work! ;)

Here's what I did - I put a piece of clay through my pasta machine at 6, stuck that inside a small ziploc bag. I put that inside a full sized embossing folder and ran it through my Cuttlebug. Even just a small piece split out of the sides of the bag on into the embossing folder crevices! And the clay that was left inside the bag was way too smooshed to salvage. :( Bummer. I am going to watch this thread, though, and see if anyone comes up with something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Oh Jennifer! Thanks for trying though. I know there is a special carrying plate type thing that the Wizard has for Polymer clay. I wonder if we could use something like that. I'm new to die cut machines and not sure of Wizard has embossing folders and how they work. Seems with the clay you'd only want to do one side and not squish it so much. Glad you protected your folder!!! Was there anyway to apply less pressure on the Cuttlebug?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I have always wanted to try a die cutter on polymer clay but haven't bought one yet to try. The one thing about polymer clay is that you always need a release agent of some kind if you don't want it to stick. If the clay had been coated with water or cornstarch before being embossed it may have helped it not stick.

I wouldn't use rubbing alcohol to clean out any large bits of clay though, it will just get all sticky. Use a ball of raw clay and push it onto the stuck clay to pull it out. Then use rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to clean out any traces of clay.
Reply With Quote Likes