Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect Pearls/Perfect Medium

I bought this great maple leaf stamp at Michael's on sale this week. So last night I decided to try it with different Perfect Pearls to create a background for a fall card.

I took the small Perfect Medium pad and dabbed it onto the stamp like I would with a small cube stamp pad. Well, after the first leaf, the pad started disintegrating and leaving chunks of yellow foam on the stamp. :confused:

Is this normal? Did I do it wrong? Or do I have a defective Perfect Medium pad? I only bought these Perfect Pearls about 2 months ago; certainly not long enough to have gone bad, right?

Any suggestions? I really loved the final product, so I need to figure this out so that I can do more. TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 05:32 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

babydal57.......To use the Perfect Pearls, you would first stamp the image with the Perfect Medium ink pad. Then take the small paint brush included with the Perfect Pearls and gently dab on the Perfect Pearls powder to just the area that has the Perfect Medium ink on it. There should be nothing to blow away like you would with embossing powder. You only use the Perfect Pearls very sparingly.

It sounds like perhaps you may have used too much Perfect Pearls in the process. It's a very fine powder and a very little goes a very long way.

If I'm off base with my response, I'm sorry. I'm responding per my understanding of your post.

Patti

If by chance you are using Pearls Ex instead of the Perfect Pearls, that's a whole other issue and process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

It sounds like something is wrong with the pad. I have never had that happen and I have had mine for a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 05:50 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
babydal57.......To use the Perfect Pearls, you would first stamp the image with the Perfect Medium ink pad. Then take the small paint brush included with the Perfect Pearls and gently dab on the Perfect Pearls powder to just the area that has the Perfect Medium ink on it. There should be nothing to blow away like you would with embossing powder. You only use the Perfect Pearls very sparingly.

It sounds like perhaps you may have used too much Perfect Pearls in the process. It's a very fine powder and a very little goes a very long way.

If I'm off base with my response, I'm sorry. I'm responding per my understanding of your post.

Patti

If by chance you are using Pearls Ex instead of the Perfect Pearls, that's a whole other issue and process.
Thanks so much for your input! But I'm fine with the powder part. It's the Perfect Medium that is the problem. The "ink" pad is disintegrating on me and the foam is sticking to the stamp along with the gluey stuff, KWIM? The Perfect Medium pad is all icky now, not square, because so much of the foam has been torn off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I had that same thing happen with one of my Perfect Medium pads, but I know that I had that pad opened for at least 2 years, and I was using it to stamp with a balloon filled with rice, so I thought that the rice might have been digging into the pad and ruined it. I didn't get too bent out of shape because it was also the small pad that came with the set, and I knew I wanted to get a full-size one.

There's no way your pad should have disintegrated when you've only had it for a couple of months (although it might have been on the store shelf a lot longer than that). I would try contacting the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

I'm wondering if, since the Perfect Medium is actually kind of sticky, that if the pad needs re-inking, the dry pad is too sticky and kind of glues the pad to the stamp (or whatever), so that it tears when you pull it back?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I had that same thing happen with one of my Perfect Medium pads, but I know that I had that pad opened for at least 2 years, and I was using it to stamp with a balloon filled with rice, so I thought that the rice might have been digging into the pad and ruined it. I didn't get too bent out of shape because it was also the small pad that came with the set, and I knew I wanted to get a full-size one.

There's no way your pad should have disintegrated when you've only had it for a couple of months (although it might have been on the store shelf a lot longer than that). I would try contacting the manufacturer and see what they have to say.
I'm wondering if, since the Perfect Medium is actually kind of sticky, that if the pad needs re-inking, the dry pad is too sticky and kind of glues the pad to the stamp (or whatever), so that it tears when you pull it back?

Thanks. I emailed Ranger explaining the issue. We'll see what they have to say... I guess I'll just use a coupon and buy a new, larger Perfect Medium pad 'cause I love the results that I got! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I just had this happen to me last week too - brand new pad out of the packet and it disintegrated into a mush on inking up the second stamp I used it on. My seller replaced it for me but she sent me a Versamark one (which is fine by me - I use Versamark a lot and the PP sticks to it). I'd be interested to see what Ranger say, I have lots of Ranger products and the quality has always been excellent, this is the first time I've ever had any kind of issue.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

my small pad did the same as yours.....i was very disappointed to say the least

now i use versa mark and hope that is almost the same....i seal it with hairspray...hope that's an OK thing to do.....

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

i am an avid perfect pearls user and i definitely prefer to use them with versamark. as for sealing after they can be misted lightly with a mister of plain water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

huh, water !! much less sticky than hairspray ......thanks

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

If the Perfect Medium pad is crumbling, it could be that it's just dried out. There is no way to know how long it may have been sitting on the shelf in the store. I would just return it to the store for a new one. For that matter the pad is a milky white color and yellow.

I've never found the Perfect Pearls needing to be set after applying. I just let it be on it's own.

The Pearl Ex is the product that does need to be sealed in some way. I use hair spray. I feel water would just make the paper soggy, not make a protective coating on the product.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
If the Perfect Medium pad is crumbling, it could be that it's just dried out. There is no way to know how long it may have been sitting on the shelf in the store. I would just return it to the store for a new one. For that matter the pad is a milky white color and yellow.

I've never found the Perfect Pearls needing to be set after applying. I just let it be on it's own.

The Pearl Ex is the product that does need to be sealed in some way. I use hair spray. I feel water would just make the paper soggy, not make a protective coating on the product.

Patti
I don't know about the OP but my pad didn't crumble - it collapsed into a sticky mush so I'm pretty sure drying out wasn't the problem.

The water doesn't make a protective coating - it bonds with the resins in the Perfect Pearls and makes it permanent. You don't need to soak the paper - just a light misting is enough. What it says on the packaging is:

Ink your rubber stamp with Perfect Medium and stamp onto cardstock. Dust on Perfect Pearls with the small brush and dust off excess with the larger brush. Set with a fine mist of water.

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I don't know about the OP but my pad didn't crumble - it collapsed into a sticky mush so I'm pretty sure drying out wasn't the problem.

The water doesn't make a protective coating - it bonds with the resins in the Perfect Pearls and makes it permanent. You don't need to soak the paper - just a light misting is enough. What it says on the packaging is:

Ink your rubber stamp with Perfect Medium and stamp onto cardstock. Dust on Perfect Pearls with the small brush and dust off excess with the larger brush. Set with a fine mist of water.

HTH!
Yes, mine sort of collapsed too. Other than the piece that pulled off, of course. It's not spongy any more like ink pads usually are. And it's super sticky.

Still no reply from Ranger Inks to my email. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Default Perfect Pearls/Perfect Medium

I had the same thing happen to my small Perfect Medium pad. I tried to apply it to a stamp and it smooshed down to a blob of nothing and was unusable. I called Ranger and there were some defective pads. Have your package with you when you call them, as she needed some number that was supposed to be on the bottom of the pad (mine didn't have one). They sent me a replacement in the larger size pad. I've had nothing but praise for their customer service department.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Mine crumbled too, but they were old. When they were new, they worked fine. I use them mostly with acrylic floor finish to create backgrounds now. (Let me know if you'd like the directions.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

UPDATE:

I heard from Ranger today. They said that they had some defective small pads and I must have gotten one. They are replacing both of the small pads that I have with one big one and a reinker.

Kudos to them for excellent customer service. I'll definitely be buying more Ranger products. I give my money to companies who stand behind their products and value my business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2008, 03:28 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

i am not surprised - i am ALWAYS impressed with their customer service - they are really wonderful to work with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

This has happened to me also adn Ranger replaced it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad to know Ranger will stand behind the pads. I have several of the smaller ones that came with the PP powder, and also bought one of the large ones with a reinker. All have collapsed into a gooey mess, and some of the foam stuck to my stamp and came out of the stamp pad. I will contact Ranger for a replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I had the same problem with the ink pads and called them (I'm too impatient to wait for an email reply ) and they sent me new pads for each one that went bad. I was most impressed. I just checked my big pad that's probably 3-4 years old and it still works beautifully. It does look funny, but worked fine and cleaned off my stamp as well. Ditto for being a great company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Default Perfect Medium

My Perfect Medium pad also fell apart. Although I had never opened it, it had been sitting for quite a while here plus who knows how long it sat in inventory at the store. I don't use that medium anymore. It is basically the same thing as the Versamark pad, works just as well AND you can get the reinkers at SU. I've never had problems with Versamark and if you are worried that it doesn't dry properly, just heat set it for a second and it has always worked great for me. Peggy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
I bought this great maple leaf stamp at Michael's on sale this week. So last night I decided to try it with different Perfect Pearls to create a background for a fall card.

I took the small Perfect Medium pad and dabbed it onto the stamp like I would with a small cube stamp pad. Well, after the first leaf, the pad started disintegrating and leaving chunks of yellow foam on the stamp. :confused:

Is this normal? Did I do it wrong? Or do I have a defective Perfect Medium pad? I only bought these Perfect Pearls about 2 months ago; certainly not long enough to have gone bad, right?

Any suggestions? I really loved the final product, so I need to figure this out so that I can do more. TIA!

I am so glad that you asked this question! My Perfect Pearls Medium Pads are doing the exact same thing. I thought maybe it was because I had not used them for a long time, however even the sealed ones did this:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

me too. i emailed ranger but never heard. guess i am out of luck on this. i'd use versa mark in the future. wouldnt purchase another pad.....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsy1View Post
me too. i emailed ranger but never heard. guess i am out of luck on this. i'd use versa mark in the future. wouldnt purchase another pad.....
Try emailing again or check your spam folder. Their first reply to me bounced back to them as spam and they had to resend it.

I got my large replacement pad and reinker today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

i just resent the message...it was to [email protected], is that what you sent to?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Marking this page have those pads too and going to check my out. Thanks

Debra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugsy1View Post
i just resent the message...it was to [email protected], is that what you sent to?
Yep, that was where I sent mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

You can also just use your VersaMark pad to stamp with, then use your Perfect Pearls. Does the same thing.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
You can also just use your VersaMark pad to stamp with, then use your Perfect Pearls. Does the same thing.
that's what I do too, works great! gotta LOVE the versamark!
Reply With Quote Likes