Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default paper crafting sewing machine

I am searching for a good, cheap, sewing machine to use for paper crafting. I would like it to have a straight stitch as well as a zigzag stitch. Which ones have you used and are they any good?

My daughter has a nice full sized machine, but will be leaving to go to college and will take hers with her.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted daisy View Post
I am searching for a good, cheap, sewing machine to use for paper crafting. I would like it to have a straight stitch as well as a zigzag stitch. Which ones have you used and are they any good?

My daughter has a nice full sized machine, but will be leaving to go to college and will take hers with her.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I bought a Singer at Walmart for $89 and I love it! Several different stitches, including zigzag. It's a full size machine, but I tried a mini machine and it was junk....
Old 05-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Watercolor Wizard

Check out the Janome Sew Mini. Lots and lots of gals at SCS have it and use it just for sewing on their cards, even though they might have regular sewing machines.

I am such a person, and got one to use for crafting, even though I have a nice expensive machine for sewing fabric.

However, my daughter decided she wanted to learn to sew, and so of course I gave her the little machine. She is loving using it and making some simple things.

You can find the Janome Sew Mini at Hancocks, online and in their stores. The regular price is $59, but they have it on sale pretty often for $49 and sometimes even $39.

Here is a great set of tutorials and info on the Sew Mini by our own Gina K. You can check it out and see if it might suit you. She recommends this machine highly for cardmakers.

A Day in the Life: Janome Sewing Tutorial 1- The Bobbin

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
Mad Swapper

I haven't added sewing to my cards (yet), but am thinking about it. Is there a reason I shouldn't use my regular sewing machine? I don't make clothes anymore. I mainly use it for repairs and curtains.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Watercolor Wizard

Yes, you can use your machine to sew on cards. Sometimes sewing on paper can dull the needle, so keep an eye out for that when you switch back to fabric.

I got the smaller machine because my regular machine was not located conveniently near where I make cards.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-21-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

I would just go ahead and use your own sewing machine. Even sewing classes teach you on paper so you can practice sewing straight seams, etc...

I always keep my sewing needles and paper needles separate.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 05-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
Ted
Kookie Creator

I have the Sew Mini and it's great. Thanks to Gina for her WONDERFUL tutorials!

I am curious about the Brother sewing machine that has automatic needle threading. I think it's the I6000C?

Also, I've seen a sewing machine (again, I think it's by Brother) that does embroidery and sewing! Granted, I probably won't embroider anytime soon, but knowing that I can would be nice.

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog! :)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Proud Fan Club Member

I only sew on cards anyway, so I'm not worried about the needles. I have the Singer Simple machine from Walmart for $89 and it has an automatic threader. I don't use it enough lately so I have to get the DVD out again and watch how to use it. Mom has an auto threader and loves it. I know I liked it when I first used it, but the last time I tried, I forgot how it worked.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I have the Sew Mini and it's great. Thanks to Gina for her WONDERFUL tutorials!

I am curious about the Brother sewing machine that has automatic needle threading. I think it's the I6000C?

Also, I've seen a sewing machine (again, I think it's by Brother) that does embroidery and sewing! Granted, I probably won't embroider anytime soon, but knowing that I can would be nice.
I have a Brother Sewing/Embroidery machine. I have the 270D. I just love it. I am looking for a different sewing machine that just sews. When doing embroidery some of the designs can take hours. I am waiting on the embroidery function so I can sew again. I know it's probably quite silly but I work with a lot of different materials, techniques and designs when sewing so I am always worried I will whack out the computer on my embroidery machine. I have heard a few stories of that happening. I was told by professional sewist's to keep my sewing machine and embroidery machine separate. I am looking into buying a Janome or another Brother machine.

Automatic Needle threading is the greatest thing ever. I love it. My DH has a Brother sewing machine for quilting and he loves the Automatic Needle threading system. He's jealous my embroidery machine actually can cut the thread. We both love not using the pressure foot on our machines.

I have a Janome Sew Mini I use to make my doll clothes, sew on cardstock and other small mending projects.

Between DH & I we have five machines.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams