Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ott Lightbulbs vs fixture

Hi all,
Was looking at Ott lights as an option to spend Christmas money on and went into Lowes to see what they might have as an alternative. The sales guy introduced me to the light bulbs that fit any regular light fixture. I really sort of like that idea since I feel like the Ott fixtures are so expensive and really not all that attractive (my craft space is in the family room so not easily closed off). Has anyone gone this route for lighting in their stamp space?

Peg
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Ott that I bought at Staples. My dh has a similar type light on his desk, he got his at Walmart for $30.00. Mine was around $60.00. So I would look at Walmart. A true Ott replacement bulb is around $30.00

I just bought on eto have as a spare. My light is going on 5 years old. I have yet to replace the bulb, I use it for a couple hours everyday. BTW I think the Walmart light give of more light then my Ott. JMO

HTH
Suzi

Last edited by bunnystamper; 12-27-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks Suzi. These are Ott lights bulbs. I think they are a new thing. He thought maybe about 6 mos. or so.

Peg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a pink Ottlite high def lamp on my desk. I like it alot since it has automatic on/off when you fold it and I got mine from ebay.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I have two Ott lights and I never use them. I understand they were supposed to be good for getting the light right, but it never looked good for me. They took up alot of room, were expensive (even on sale or with a coupon) and did not give off a good enough light for taking photos indoors.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

So how much are these lightbulbs and where would I find them in Lowes? You say they are the Ott brand? I've been wanting an Ott light, too, but haven't been willing to pay the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought this "daylight" lamp for my husband for reading. He loves it. It's not Ott, but I think they sell this brand at Joann's for crafters. I bought it at Amazon for $55, and it qualified for free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia_77View Post
So how much are these lightbulbs and where would I find them in Lowes? You say they are the Ott brand? I've been wanting an Ott light, too, but haven't been willing to pay the price.

Sophia,
I think they were $3-4 each and they were in with all the other daylight lightbulbs in the lighting department. They were slightly higher than the other daylight bulbs and the sales guy seemed to think I might be just as happy with the other brand of daylight bulbs. He uses one for reading he said in an ordinary lamp.

I did see the medium base bulbs at JoAnn's too and I think they were around $10 so unless you have a big coupon, I'd try Lowes/HD first.

Peg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Default Lights on!

Lights Ott?
Hi! I've been reading alot on these light bulbs too.

So you can spend big bucks or a bit less if you catch a sale or coupon. Pricey!:confused:

The Ott light bulbs and lamps can only be used by themselves.... exclusively. The are a little harder to find.

Only Ott light bulbs fit in Ott lamps.

then at your home depot or hardware store
you can buy special light bulbs or tubes for whatever lamps you have at your house already. Read the info carefully, they have yellow/ blue/ soft etc light bulbs available/
the kind you want or "daylight or full spectrum" light bulbs. They are less than $10 for a bulb and a bit more if you need big tube styles. Easy to replace if you need.

So you can get a light bulb for little bucks to fit your lamp at home and spend the rest of you Christmas bucks for some other goodies/ sweets that you fancy at the "CANDY" store and be able to see them!:-D

check it out to see what suits you best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 446 Likes on 302 Posts

A few years ago I priced Ott lamps and then did some research into the kinds of bulbs you can buy locally and less expensively. The prior post is correct, you have to get the full spectrum bulbs, it makes a real difference when viewing your colors.
I bought one lamp at Bed Bath & Beyond and another at Staples, then outfitted them with full spectrum bulbs. It worked for me and was very economical. They help my eyes not tire so easily, too.
Good luck with your choice!

"Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic,
but I had a good life all the way..."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the Ott long light tubes at Jo-Ann's with a 50% off coupon a couple of years ago and bought a light fixture at Lowe's for around $20.00? (they are about 3 feet long). I have mine mounted to the underneath side of my shelves that are mounted above my crafting tables. I LOVE IT!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Santa brought me a real OTT lamp for Christmas and he got it at Costco for $29! I thought that was a great deal (Santa asked me to help him pick out my gift this year). After spending the weekend cleaning and organizing my craft room, I set the new lamp on my work table. While I like the extra light, I'll have to get used to the unusual, or different, type of light it emits. I think it will be good for my eyes once I get used to it.

I'm going to save this thread so I'll know my options when the bulb eventually burns out!

Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitkat55View Post
Santa brought me a real OTT lamp for Christmas and he got it at Costco for $29! I thought that was a great deal (Santa asked me to help him pick out my gift this year). After spending the weekend cleaning and organizing my craft room, I set the new lamp on my work table. While I like the extra light, I'll have to get used to the unusual, or different, type of light it emits. I think it will be good for my eyes once I get used to it.

I'm going to save this thread so I'll know my options when the bulb eventually burns out!

Kat
Oh, Kat, Did Santa get you the regular AC/DC plug in type or the rechargeable model? The rechargeable one folds up and keeps the light bulb protected while you are traveling and packing.

I 'm wondering how long the rechargeable model- charge lasts for? The would be handy for when you go on a ...not a cruise.... when you go on an all day/ night scrappin;' weekend with your galpals. You know what I mean and you don't get a plug in next to your table. I wonder how long a charge lasts.
My problem with the rechargeable one is.... is if I got one, my scrappin'galpal said, I might lose it in all my stash and not find it...... I'd be sitting there in the dark!:confused::confused::confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you so much for this tip! I just picked up a 4-pack at Lowe's for less than $10, and I can't believe how wonderful the light is! My eyes are terrible (I've had glasses since 2nd grade), and I do most of my crafting at night. As soon as I turned the light on, I noticed a HUGE difference - so much easier on my eyes!

So I have a quick question ... Would it do me any good to put them in the overhead light in my room? I have a smallish craft room (maybe 8'x10'), and all I have is the overhead light fixture in the middle of the ceiling and one desk lamp on my table. So would it make sense for me to put some daylight CFLs in the overhead light, or would I not get the same effect? I don't want to waste money, so I thought I'd ask first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I have an Ott brand light bulb in a floor lamp and it works beautifully. Got it from Lowe's a few months ago for about 4 bux!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I got one at Costco for $25, it has a recargeable battery, so great for crops. I got it before Christmas so I don't know if they still have them.
Reply With Quote Likes