Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Sizzix

OK, SCSers. another dumb newbie thing for all of you. I feel really silly, so please feel free to laugh at me!

Long story short, I was really enjoying scrapbooking and cardmaking when my son became mobile. That pretty much killed my ability to do much crafting, and when he got old enough to free me up again I went back to work. Then my darling husband filled my craft room/office with so much junk I couldn't even get to my craft table. So basically it's been 3-4 years since I've done any crafting.

My son is about to hit kindergarten, I'm not working, and my creative juices are overflowing, so I am back to stamping, yay! It has meant a lot of digging and attempts to organize, but I now have a usable space. The process has led to lots of discoveries of stuff I got right before my 'hiatus' that I forgot I even had.

One of those things is an Original Sizzix like this. I now remember buying it, but it is literally still in the box, never been used. I have one alpha and one set of flower dies, as well as a system converter. I would really love a die cutting machine, but I want one that will emboss and preferably one that hooks up to the computer as I am a gadget girl. In other words, not this one! If you have thoughts on other machines, you're welcome to share them.

My real question though is, what do I do with this machine? It looks like Amazon still carries dies that fit it, maybe? Do I keep it? Do I try to sell it - is it even worth it? Will anyone WANT it? Any thoughts are really welcome as I really don't want to hold on to anything I'm not using.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I started out with that machine years ago! I had forgotten all about it until I read your post! I now have a cuttlebug and love it.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I would think you paid quite a bit more for it originally than what anyone would give you for it now. Not that it isn't "worth" it! it just seems so many new machines come out. The paper crafting industry as a whole is hard to keep up with! There's always something new.

If you can't sell it, maybe you could donate it to a women's/children's shelter. I know ours is always in need and LOVES to get craft supply donations. Both Mom's and kids enjoy what is sent over. And if you don't have one close by, maybe even a local church.
Just a thought!!!

Glad you are able to scrapbook again! It's such a wonderful hobby for me- and also a stress reducer!!!

Good luck!

Blessings,
Shaunna
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:54 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

I have "old red" and a big shot. I have kept the old one because it has the ability to do things that a roller machine doesn't, or doesn't do as well. Mainly that means partial embossing and partial die-cutting.

As for electronic machines, they don't tempt me. But they do not do any embossing, just cutting, so if you like embossed images, keep "old red" for that. And no electronic machine will cut AND give an embossed edge like spellbinders, which is essential in my mind.

Your machine has one limitation compared to the big shot/big kick. It won't take the Bigz size dies. But it takes originals, embosslits, sizzlits, embossing folders, etc. And it doesn't require detailed sandwiches.

So, don't be quick to discard "old red". Wait a while...see whether you really want only the diecut shapes or if you want to be able to use things like embossing folders or cutting dies like those from Spellbinders.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a Big Shot and a Cricuit Expression. I don't like the Expression as I don't enoy having to futz around with the configurations, paper weights, speeds, etc. I'm not technology challenged I just prefer working with my BS. There are a lot of options that you have to consider - buy cartridges, cut files, costs, etc.

I like my BS because it's just simpler to use and I can use it for a lot of different techniques. Dies can be about the same price as buying cartridges so I don't see much of a cost difference.

Big Red has size limitations as some of the new bigger dies do not fit.

You can buy automated BS and they have a bigger platform (12") but I keep thinking they may break before the manual versions.

I gave Big Red away years ago and haven't missed it. I use my BS everyday and love it whereas I plan to sell my Expression and all the dies since it sits and collects dust.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Thank you all for your input! I think for now I will hold onto it. The problem for me is the cost of dies and investing in new ones if I decide this machine isn't for me. Donating it is certainly an option too though!

As for electronic machines, the Bosskut Gazelle does embossing and print and cut which I believe can be used to do emboss and cut. Like I said, I'm no expert but that is the machine I'm leaning towards. Of course it's very expensive, and I could get a lot of dies for that amount (or a new, different machine with dies or cartridges) but I like that it's made in the USA and that the electronic format will allow me to use any font I like, as well as doing custom 'dies' to fit the shapes of the stamps I have and that sort of thing. And now I am just thinking out loud!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Togrady, Welcome back to Scrapping!!

Software on the upper level machines is difficult to learn or it was for me. I have a Pazzles Inspiration and LOVE the versatility of it!! I design a lot of my own things and once you start you just can't go back to a set format. I LOVE being able to fussy cut around my stamps with VERY little effort! Can't do that with a Sizzix. I'd keep old red and use the Sizzix dot com OUTLET. I buy a LOT of my dies through them because I just won't pay full price unless I really KNOW a die is my dream come true.

It's really a matter of choice and you don't really know until you work with it for a while, that is probably true for all the machines out there.

The upper end machines can be a little buggy like not cutting a perfect circle or the pressure causing the mat to slip. My husband says it is something manufacturers have dealt with for a long time.....he calls it 'tolerance over span'.
I also have a Big Shot and PRO. Each have their own plusses and minuses. I swore I wouldn't end up with several machines but find that a manual die cutter is fast and quick, good to have on hand. And the options are endless with multiple machines.

Stamphappy, are you going to sell your expression? I am wanting one to add to my collection. I love the CTMH cartridge and couple others and sold mine to a friend for $50. I have regretted it but she won't sell it back to me....lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by togradyView Post
As for electronic machines, the Bosskut Gazelle does embossing and print and cut which I believe can be used to do emboss and cut. Like I said, I'm no expert but that is the machine I'm leaning towards. Of course it's very expensive, and I could get a lot of dies for that amount (or a new, different machine with dies or cartridges) but I like that it's made in the USA and that the electronic format will allow me to use any font I like, as well as doing custom 'dies' to fit the shapes of the stamps I have and that sort of thing. And now I am just thinking out loud!
I have a BossKut Gazelle. You can emboss with it but you will never get the type of embossing that manual machines can do. An electronic machine can go up to about 1000gsm and that is a high end machine. Gazelle is 500gsm. The Big Shot, Sizzix, Cuttlebug etc range from around 3000 to 7000 pounds per pressure. That is a huge difference. An electronic machine will do the kind of embossing that is hand embossing style. You know the light box and stencil type embossing. You will get a deeper impression because the machine is more powerful than your hand. A manual die cutter is pressing down on the embossing folders and dies so the imprint will be a lot deeper.

I love my Gazelle. I have recommended it to plenty over the years. I really do love my Gazelle. For Print & Cut you can not beat the Silhouette Cameo. I own that one too. The Cameo can emboss and cut out any font you want. All images from the store range from fifty cents to a dollar. It is a lighter machine than the Gazelle so it won't cut out a variety of materials the Gazelle can. The Cameo was made for intricate work. It cuts out custom mats for your stamps like a dream. I have to fiddle with the Gazelle. The Cameo is a better starter machine than the Gazelle. I know your thinking out loud and just getting back into crafting. I would hate for you to go purchase something and then cuss after you did it.

I had the Big Red for years. I loved her to pieces. Sometimes I wish I kept her. I have a Cuttlebug & Big Shot now. The Big Red she is a workhorse and a classic machine. Plus, supplies are cheap too and last forever. You can cut out so many different types of materials with the Big Red and manual cutters that you won't be able to cut with your electronic cutters. Sometimes electronic cutters can be a hassle when you want quick and easy. Manual die cutters are great for quick and easy.

Die cutting is my second biggest love next to coloring techniques.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

DeeAnn, thanks so much for your input! I am so torn about what to do.
You have definitely made me consider the Cameo instead as I /am/ a beginner at this. Cutting mats for stamps, embossing, and using templates to make 3D items (like bags/boxes) are probably my main needs right now. I like that the Gazelle does chipboard, but I guess I'd be willing to sacrifice that in exchange for a slightly easier to use machine. I am pretty computer savvy, but I like that the Cameo works when it's not hooked to the computer. What's your opinion on how well the Cameo does embossing, since it's even lighter pressure than the Gazelle? Or is it?! I am so behind the times with die cutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

The Cameo is a lighter pressure machine. It's between 315-350 gsm. I think the embossing is nicer with the Cameo. The machine does a nice deep impression. The big embossing plus is that the Cameo can do the intricate embossing that most of the other machines can't handle. The Cameo is a Graphtec machine. The Graphtec machines were made for delicate intricate work. The Motherboard is configured for that.

Gazelle is a Roland machine so it can do beautiful intricate work but not like the Cameo. Rolands were made for heavy duty work. Today most of the Roland machines for the scrapbook industry can do intricate work too to keep up with the Graphtec market. Still the Cameo beats them all for intricacy. Trust me I tried all the major Roland machines made for scrapbooking.

Some Cameo users are cutting chipboard with their machines. I would not use heavy duty chipboard in a Cameo. I know I am repeating. The Cameo was made for intricacy and not to be a workhorse. Apparently it can cut chipboard very well that is cereal box weight. The samples I have seen are nice. The official word from Silhouette is no the Cameo can not cut chipboard. The last word I heard on this was that they were making a blade for chipboard.

I have not tried to cut chipboard on my Cameo. It's my machine for intricacy. I use my Gazelle for all my heavy duty cutting. I am a probably overprotective of my Cameo, though.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I have been reading posts from all sorts if threads and forums and you definitely seem to be an authority ;). I really appreciate you taking the time. I think I am pretty sold on the cameo. It isn't like I cut chipboard much now!
I was under the impression (no pun intended) that the cameo did NOT emboss, but maybe that is old info. So is there special equipment I need to get to make it emboss?
I do have the big red so I know if I play with it, it will do some embossing. Maybe even cut chipboard that is small enough to fit. I don't do anything heavy duty now, and if eventually I want to branch out I can always get a heavier machine then. I think. XD
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you. That made me smile.

The Silhouette does emboss with a third party embossing tool. Amy Chomas has an embossing set up. Here's her info: Amy Chomas: Embossing with the new Chomas Creations adjustable holder.

I don't have Amy's set. I can highly recommend Amy's tools. I have known her on boards for a long time. Amy and her family make high quality tools. She's an absolute sweetie too.

I don't have the set because my DH & I are geeks so we make our own tools. My DH makes my jigs for my machines.

CHA (Craft Hobby & Association Show) is out in a couple of weeks. I know Silhouette will be releasing some new fun stuff. They keep it pretty quiet until CHA. They might be designing new jigs to go with the Cameo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I still have my original Sizzix and will never get rid of it! I do have a Big Shot but find that the sandwiches are awkward to use. I do like my Big Shot but it takes up more space so I usually end up using my original one for a quick die cut or emboss. As long as you have the system converter you can use any die that fits in your original Sizzix. For a cutting plate I just use half of one of those cheap magnetic frames from Michaels. I just snap it in half and Voila! i have a plate. Wish sizzix would make an acrylic cutting plate that would fit in their original macine. Embossing folders also work in the original.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I still have my original Sizzix and will never get rid of it! I do have a Big Shot but find that the sandwiches are awkward to use. I do like my Big Shot but it takes up more space so I usually end up using my original one for a quick die cut or emboss. As long as you have the system converter you can use any die that fits in your original Sizzix. For a cutting plate I just use half of one of those cheap magnetic frames from Michaels. I just snap it in half and Voila! i have a plate. Wish sizzix would make an acrylic cutting plate that would fit in their original macine. Embossing folders also work in the original.
I found the BS sandwiches awkward to use too. I am so happy it's just not me. I thought it was because I have my CB sandwiches memorized.

That is just brilliant about the cheap magnetic frame. I bought my convertor for $2. I wonder if you could get acrylic plates cut at Lowe's or Home Depot in the thickness of the original Sizzix plate. I don't know what the thicknesses sizes are for acrylic plates or who could cut them at that size.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

lylacfey,
I love your informative posts!!
What is a 'jig'?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I would think that the base ctting plate would be a good guide to use to get an acrlic plate made. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
lylacfey,
I love your informative posts!!
What is a 'jig'?
Thank you! That made my week. A jig is the special attachments that go in your blade housing such as the embossing holder, engraving tools, pen holders, etc...

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I would think that the base ctting plate would be a good guide to use to get an acrlic plate made. What do you think?
I think so. I bet if you took the plate to a place who can cut the acrylic plates they could cut one down to size for you. If you have a friend or family member with the tools you could bribe them with brownies. I know that works on my husband, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

OK, so I talked to my hubby about my plan to get a cameo instead, then possibly a BigShot at some point for better embossing/heavier duty materials. He would prefer to just get something like the Gazelle or the Zing that has all the capabilities. I am still trying to figure it out, but I can't get it until we move at the end of next month so I have a little time anyway.

I keep reading through reviews and watching videos of the Gazelle and the Zing and they both look... complicated but learnable. I wish I had a place where I could do a hands on demonstration of them both!

Lylacfey - I know you said there is a learning curve, and I totally understand that. But would you say that the machine, when operated properly, does what it is supposed to do? If I go through the manual and tutorials and learn how to use it, does it work well? I read the Under A Cherry Tree review and it scared me a little!

As for the big red and dies for it, I am thinking about getting one or two that would also obviously work in a Big Shot if I upgrade to that for size reasons at some point. Do you know the max width of die that will fit in it? And do you know a way to tell how wide the dies are - specifically like Spellbinder dies. They don't seem to have dimensions most places I look but maybe there is a trick! I know I'd have to get the plate/embossing mat/etc for that.

Thanks, always!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

The Make the Cut forum has the best info on the Zing. I have tried Klik-n-Kut machines. I do like them. The Zing is a nice machine. Since I have a Gazelle I don't own a Zing. I know surprising to many of the girls over here, lol. The Zing experts are over at the MTC forum so they will have all the info and reviews plus secret nuggets for that machine. Look for the girls who are knowledgeable about die cutters and are not trying to push you into something. I know some people who have bought the Zing and hated it and felt they were pushed into it.

If you are only a paper crafter the Cameo is a perfect machine. If you want to work with other materials like thin balsa wood, foam, etc then you will want to look into a heavier duty machine like the Gazelle or Zing. If you want intricacy with your cuts you definitely want the Cameo.

Yes, the Gazelle does what it is supposed to do. I admit the machine can frustrate me at times. There are some things I don't like but I can be picky on every single machine I own on things I love and don't like. The Gazelle is well made. It's all metal except for the plastic drawers. That machine can take a beating. Trust me on that. ;) It does Print & Cut with good accuracy but not as perfect as the Cameo since the Cameo was made for Print & Cut. You can use any marker or pen in the blade holder. You can use Copics.

I used Funtime (native software for the Gazelle) for the longest time. It's a really good software for die cutting. One of my top favorites. I use MTC now with my Gazelle since I design most of my own work. I use Inkscape for my designing. Terri & Jules who are the big Gazelle experts write excellent tutorials that will make you a Gazelle expert in no time.

My big thing with the Gazelle is that BossKut likes to hold your hand with their machine. This is a really big plus because they only want to give you the best with this machine. I highly recommend this if you are new to machines and want to make sure you have a good repair plan, tutorials, and help. I am little Miss Independent who hacks everything so I don't want my hand held. Zing also has this type of customer service too.

Oh, the Gazelle is LOUD. I mean really LOUD. I have an antique desk and when the Gazelle is going it sounds like a train. I have to stick a towel under my Gazelle to muffle the sound.

Many of the grumps users had about the Gazelle (me included) like the feet causing black streaks on our desk, the USB cord is ugly. Trust me it was really ugly. One of my friends thought I had a snake on my desk. I heard those issues have been fixed with this new batch of Gazelles made in the States. I heard the new Motherboard is slightly quieter too. I had my Gazelle for going on four years now. She still runs like a dream. I am hard on her.

Big Red Sizzix- No, I don't remember the max size for the dies that can fit in it. Pretty much rule out the Bigz dies from Sizzix to fit in the Big Red. The large Spellbinders dies are not going to fit in any of the Sizzix machines except the Big Shot Pro. That's why Spellbinders came out with the Grand Calibur. When I used Big Red I was able to use all my Netabilities. The Nestabilities cut out great and emboss beautifully in the Big Red.

I think I got it all, lol. I am here if you have any more questions. If I missed something just let me know. It's my six month declutter my art studio time. I have been working in my art studio all night and I am frazzled. I am sure I forgot something.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I wanted to add that I did move my Gazelle out to the garage because of the noise issue and my DH uses it for car designs I wrote above I have my Gazelle on my antique wooden desk. I don't have it there any more. I have sensitive hearing and I know others who have sensitive hearing and the Gazelle does not bother them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Heart

Thank you so much for all your help and input and info! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

So I think I want a Cameo, a Big Shot Pro and a Gazelle. Does that sound about right? OK, maybe not. I don't think I mind the noise - it's a zoo in my house anyway. I think the main thing is that I want something that does it all, and none of them do it all. I usually don't want a lot of hand holding but in this instance (apparently) it wouldn't be a bad thing. I think I may keep watching more videos and possibly download the trials of the software to see what I think. Like I said, I can't get it for a few months anyway so I'll let you know when I figure it out!
Reply With Quote Likes