Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Atg today, help please

Hi,
I got my atg delivered in the mail today. It is the Scotch 714. I bought it used off of the buy/sell forum here at Splitcoast. It did not come with any instructions so I looked at some of the Youtube videos that were recommended. No help at all. The first thing in all of the videos I watched was they put the new tape roll in and said to put the sticky side down. This meant that tape was being fed to the rollers from the bottom. If I do it that way my sticky side is on the inside. I did notice in all of the videos they were using Scotch brand tape. My atg came with a partially used roll and was not hooked up to be able to use. Could it be a different brand of tape. Can anyone out there help me. Please and thank you.
Sandy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I just watched another video and it seems to me that the sticky side is on the wrong side of the roll of tape. Is that possible? The seller assured me it was a working atg she just never got the hang of it. I am in Canada and can only buy the rolls of tape in a pack of 12, that is why I decided to buy this one. I didn't want to spend that amount of money until I tried it and knew that I liked it. Help please.
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the generic one so am not sure I can help. Is the tape coming off the roll in the right direction and snapped all the way down?

Does this help? http://scrapfancy.blogspot.com/2007/...h-atg-714

My blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sandy,

The sticky side does go down. Snap the tape roll in, go over the top of the first (ridged) roller so the sticky is against the roller. Then go around the next roller and over the top of the roll. Then feed it into the other roller.

I don't know if this helps - its kind of hard to explain. But once you get the hang of it you will LOVE it.

One other thing I wanted to mention. I don't know how old your gun is - but about a year or so ago, 3M had a problem with a part that was manufactured a little too big and prevented the tape from coming out smoothly. It should be pretty easy to dispense. If you have to fight with it you might have a bad part. (I'm sure its fine - but I got one of those bad guns and I just wanted to save you all the frustration I had. 3M replaced my gun for me and now its almost the only thing I ever use).

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,
I am doing exactly as you are saying but the sticky side is facing the wrong way. If the tape feed from the bottom by the trigger it is facing up before I thread it and is on the wrong way. It really seems to me I have backwards tape. I tried twisting the tape and it worked for a second and then the paper that holds the tape ripped.
sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "sticky" side should be the outside of the roll. I guess if the roll is not sticky on the outside - maybe is is faulty??

Or maybe you are installing the tape roll upside down? It will be backwards if you try to feed it from the top.

Hold the roll in front of you with the lose end hanging down (so it looks like the number 9). Then snap it in and feed it over the rollers.

Hope this helps....

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

The sticky side is on the inside of the roll not the outside.

If I hold it like a nine and feed it the sticky side is not facing the paper it is facing the atg roller.

I am so mad. I really think it is the tape but it will cost me $50 to order some. If I do that and still can't get it to work I am out a hundred bucks in total. No wonder she never got the hang of it but didn't she realize it was defective unless it is just me.

thanks for all your help, not sure what I am going to do now.
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

If you have to buy new tape, this company is the cheapest I found in Canada: http://nhsmediastore.com - just in a case you're buying it from somewhere else.

Here is the link to the PDF instructions for your gun, maybe that helps: http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...66SXOiCOrrrrQ-

So sorry you're disappointed. I love my ATG and hopefully you will too once you get it working.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 04:03 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

If you phone 3M, they will help you get the tape to feed off the roll in the correct direction. I thought I had a bad roll at one point and they were able to help me correct the problem!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for the tips and the link to the instuctions. I could not find them when I searched. The Canadian site is the one I will puchase from but they only sell in sets of 12. I really think my tape is backwards. Maybe I will do an ISO and see if someone will sell me one or two rolls so I can make sure I can get this thing working before I invest in a mountain of tape.
thanks so much everyone,
Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #11  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

here is the 3m directions
http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...66SXOiCOrrrrQ-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Sandy, if you are living in Canada, single rolls may be purchased from Peggy at www.paperworksco.com or from Rhea at www.scrapbooking.ca. I can vouch for both of them as I have ordered from them before. Buying from nhsmedia is the way to go since I believe they are the supplier in Canada but if you are looking for single rolls, try the two stores above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Sandy, don't give up!!!!! At first my ATG seemed like the most complex tool I ever owned. The "instructions" must have been written for a brain very different from mine. So I'll give it a try at helping you:
You need bright light so you can see markings and stuff clearly. The roll of tape should be such that when you have it engaged with the left hand spindle, it rolls clockwise, toward the handle and moves from the bottom of the roll to the first red rubber roller on the left. Notice that the left spindle, where you put the full roll, has two little raised things that are supposed to fit into two of the several holes on the tape core. When you push the tape core down onto the spindle, you'll feel/hear if the tape core has snapped onto those two little plastic things. Also there's a slight hook on the spindle that should clamp the core of your roll of tape so it stays in the right place, when you have the core of the new tape roll properly engaged with the left hand spindle of the tool.

Pull the trigger while you now thread the tape from the bottom of the roll of tape OVER the first red roller and UNDER the second red roller (at this point the sticky is AGAINST the first red roller and outside the 2nd red roller). Keep threading the tape over the top and against the full roll to the black spindle to the right of the trigger. Keep tape going clockwise around that spindle and tuck it in any way you can, keeping your finger on the trigger so you can turn the spindles easily, and soon the tape will adhere to itself and you can put the black clamp(lid?) in place by noticing that it has two plastic thingies that match the two cut-outs in the spindle. Once you have that lid on with the side up that says "Open", you're good to go. Release the trigger to lock the roll in place. Sometimes it takes a few snaps on the trigger to get it to release and hold the tape roll taut. Close the cover and you're good to go.

NOW the biggest trick I learned: 3M expects you to be sitting down when you use this tool, so the handle of the tool should be pointing so far down, it has to be almost off the edge of the table in order for the tape to engage with the paper. Because I work best standing up, this part of using the tool constantly annoys me, because the tape sometimes doesn't engage when I don't have the handle pointed downward enough. I would not use the tool except it saves me sooooo much money, and so much time , and nothing I've used holds card pieces together as well. Yes it sometimes clumps. Yes it's not easy to change the rolls. Yes when it hits the paper it's stuck for good. But card-making is expensive and this is one of the few essentials to the process that has a route that's much less expensive than anything else I've found. (Rubber cement is a route I've not tried, but I will, soon.)

Good luck, Sandy. When you master this tool, all others will probably seem simple. You'll REALLY enjoy not having to change tape cartridges very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Removing spent ATG rolls

As I recall, there are no instructions for using the ATG :Pull the trigger as you apply the tape slowly. If you move too fast, the line of tape sort of shrinks the paper. If you get a glob of tape anywhere, get it off because it WILL show a lump later. Humdity, or not holding the handle pointed downward far enough, sometimes causes globs to happen.

To open the tool you put the thumb of your right hand on the ridged part of the clear part of the cover (between the red rollers and the handle) and your other fingers on the top of the tool and sort of squeeze inward while pulling upward. Maybe that's obvious, but at first you have to squeeze and pull harder than you'd guess. Then it gets easier.

To remove the spent tape-core off of the left hand spindle, push in the little clamp of the spindle with your thumb while pulling the core of the tape off the spindle.

To remove the spent tape itself from the right hand spindle, turn the lid the direction of the "open" and arrow (need good light to see this). The lid turns just a little and you lift it off and pull out the spent tape. Seems like there should be a sophisticated way to pull the whole roll at once, but I just grab and pull until I've got it all. It's really easy.

Tape comes in its original box when you buy 12 rolls. That usually lasts me about 3 months/about 150 cards. I layer every image, often with six layers, so may be a heavier user than you. The point is, tape loses sticking power over time, so best to buy in bulk only if you are a heavy user.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

ATG gun update. Well it turns out I am not crazy afterall. A wonderfull person from this site (not sure if she would like me to use her name or not so I won't) sent me a free roll of tape to try in my atg gun. I had thought previously to my shock that the tape was sticky on the wrong side. I was absolutely right. LOL. It doesn't happen often but once in a while I am right. The tape was backwards. I put the new roll of tape on in all of three seconds and it works like a dream. Can't wait to get crafting. Thanks for all of the tips and link everyone. Special thanks for the roll of tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #16  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

Sandy,
I am so glad that the tape arrived safely and it works! YIPPEE!!
Pia
Reply With Quote Likes