Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Die Cut Diva

Default Nesties & The Silhouette Cameo question

I read that some people are scanning their nesties so they can measure them on their computer screen to be sure a Silhouette cut file they are using will fit in the Nestie.

Do you scan the actual metal die or make a die cut and scan that ?

Even with the Cameo I will continue to use my Nesties. I like the embossed appearance.

Thanks
Barbara Jay
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

I would probably be easier to scan a cut piece. There are ways to make the embossed edge on a piece cut by an electronic cutter. I make my faux nesties all the time and have saved a fortune not having to buy all the spellbinder dies using my CraftRobo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Die Cut Diva

I already have a gazillion Nesties so I will use them.

But for the Future how do you make faux embossing?
Thanks
Barbara Jay
Old 12-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Crimping Master

Great questions Barbara Jay! Like you I do love the embossing.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

I found the answer on scanning Nesties !!
I knew I saw it somewhere here I just could not recall where. It was in the Digi stamping section

Spellbinder compatible Digi stamps?

They are actually scanning the dies and saving them to their computer to use for measurements . Then they print the digi or cut the file image and use a Bigshot/CB to cut the Nesties to fit around it
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Die Cut Diva

To make the embossing using shapes cut with a cutter, you can cut a shape 1/4" smaller and then use that under your original shape and run them through your cuttlebug (or big shot). That will create the same embossing the nesties do.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Thanks! I have all of the basic geometric shapes so those are not an issue. The embossing I like is for example on the other Nesties such as the Decorative Floral Ovals or the circles or the holiday shapes or borders. I can't imagine a way to set those up to emboss the inner parts
At this point I have a nice selection of other Nesties so I will use those .
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Jay View Post
Thanks! I have all of the basic geometric shapes so those are not an issue. The embossing I like is for example on the other Nesties such as the Decorative Floral Ovals or the circles or the holiday shapes or borders. I can't imagine a way to set those up to emboss the inner parts
At this point I have a nice selection of other Nesties so I will use those .
There is a way to do the fancier spellbinders by creating an embossing folder for them. I did a tutorial about 4 or 5 years ago and posted it on here to show how to do it with a cutting machine. I'll see if its still active is you want to download it...

ETA: I can't seem to find the thread where I uploaded the file. I'll check to see if I still have it on one of my EHDs.

Last edited by cat_woman; 12-05-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
There is a way to do the fancier spellbinders by creating an embossing folder for them. I did a tutorial about 4 or 5 years ago and posted it on here to show how to do it with a cutting machine. I'll see if its still active is you want to download it...

ETA: I can't seem to find the thread where I uploaded the file. I'll check to see if I still have it on one of my EHDs.
Cat_Woman is this the tutorial you wrote that you are looking for?

Homemade Cuttlebug Embossing folder by cat_woman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Cat_Woman is this the tutorial you wrote that you are looking for?

Homemade Cuttlebug Embossing folder by cat_woman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Yes, that's the photo of what I did using the tutorial I wrote. I did upload a pdf file of the full tutorial, but I can't find the thread now and I can't find the file on any of my EHDs. I may have moved it off to either carbonite or cd. I'll have to look further to see if I can find it.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Die Cut Diva

Cat_Woman I was a pack rat when I started and saved everything that looked interesting so one day when I knew what I was doing I could use them. I found a Tutorial you made for making an embossing folder for use in a Cuttle Bug
I saved it it 2009

You were using a RoboCraft and Photoshop elements I will try to upload it here. If not I will send it to you to fiddle with it so you can upload it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A- Creating Embossing folder in Photo Shop-.pdf (1.04 MB, 21 views)

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-06-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Cat_Woman I was a pack rat when I started and saved everything that looked interesting so one day when I knew what I was doing I could use them. I found a Tutorial you made for making an embossing folder for use in a Cuttle Bug
I saved it it 2009

You were using a RoboCraft and Photoshop elements I will try to upload it here. If not I will send it to you to fiddle with it so you can upload it
Thank you! That's the file. The concept is still the same, but of course there are quite a few different software packages that you can use to get the same results. I should make an embossing folder for some cards I want to make. I was looking for one to buy, but now I think I'll make it instead.