Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

OH--should I tell you about ALL my rulers, instead of just the cork-backed metal ones? I have three different sizes of metal ones (6", 12" and 18"); one 6" see-through plastic; one 6" opaque plastic, a large T-square, and a smaller t-square; AND--a twelve inch see-through with ")" in the MIDDLE, made by X-acto!

These have been accumulated over the years, and not all for stamping--but I have used all of them for stamping/crafting. There it is: the ruler confession.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #42
Polyshrink Goddess

All great advice!
I though I was cutting knife impaired until I used the Judikins knife. It's like a little pen and has just the right sized blade for me! LOVE it!
Sharp blades are important as everyone has mentioned. I use self healing mats mostly, but I also have a glass cutter, but I rarely get it out because it takes up so much room on my desk~

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #43
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheron View Post
OH--should I tell you about ALL my rulers, instead of just the cork-backed metal ones? I have three different sizes of metal ones (6", 12" and 18"); one 6" see-through plastic; one 6" opaque plastic, a large T-square, and a smaller t-square; AND--a twelve inch see-through with ")" in the MIDDLE, made by X-acto!

These have been accumulated over the years, and not all for stamping--but I have used all of them for stamping/crafting. There it is: the ruler confession.
that is so funny, I'm the same way with everything. I have a huge collection of rulers, paper cutters, colored pencils, glue, I could go on and on!
Whenever someone recommends something I haven't tried, I can't wait to try it out and see for myself!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #44
Pearl-ExPert

Oops! My post above should have said that my Xacto ruler has "0" (zero) in the middle.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
Watercolor Wizard

OK, you all have me wanting a cork-bakced ruler now! I have a Maun safety ruler (they have an "M" profile if you haven't seen them - like the one on this page) which is good but I do sometimes feel like I'm putting lot of pressure on to keep it still while cutting. I've lost count of how many other rulers I have (including one with a channel for a mount cutting tool, a couple of metal yard sticks...) and if we include Perfect Layers tools as rulers as well the number's even higher!

My blog
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #46
Matboard Maniac

I had forgotten about the plastic rulers since I use the metal ones for marking lines in addition to cutting... Yep, I have the 6"and 12" see through, the Tim Holtz see through with pricking holes and a triangle-shaped ruler I used to use as a pseudo-scoring device long before I knew about scoring blades.
12"triangle Scale Ruler,Triangle Plastic Ruler,Scale Ruler - Buy 12'scale,Plastic Ruler,Scale Ruler Product on Alibaba.com

You place the ruler on the paper where you want the fold and press against the opposite side while folding the paper up (to make envelope flaps). It was a bit hard on the fingers, but serviceable.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #47
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelnorth View Post
OK, you all have me wanting a cork-bakced ruler now! I have a Maun safety ruler (they have an "M" profile if you haven't seen them - like the one on this page) which is good but I do sometimes feel like I'm putting lot of pressure on to keep it still while cutting. I've lost count of how many other rulers I have (including one with a channel for a mount cutting tool, a couple of metal yard sticks...) and if we include Perfect Layers tools as rulers as well the number's even higher!
Cork base rulers are a must in our tool arsenal. I always recommend them. I have Tim's ruler and it's always slipping on me. I rely on my metal cork ruler.

I bought Tim's ruler because he said it would replace all our rulers. Yeah whatever Tim, lol!

I consider my Martha Stewart scoreboard as a ruler. I use that board for measuring more than I do scoring.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #48
Crimping Master

I'm just going to jump in with some advice my DH gave me about cutting with a knife. He went through 4 years of art school and got used to using X-acto knives for many things.

Even when cutting a straight edge he uses very light pressure. Almost as if the first pass is just a "scoring" motion. I saw another poster mentioned the same thing.

The biggest help for me was to stop trying to make that first "cut" actually cut all the way through the paper. Taking two swipes at it helps me get a cleaner "non-shredded" edge.

This might be more tricky when cutting around intricate shapes; I don't know. I mostly use a knife to straighten an edge if I don't want to get up and walk across to my big cutter, and sometimes to nick out a particularly tight angle cut that I couldn't get to with my scissors.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #49
Pearl-ExPert

cobby- thanks for the tips from you and your DH. Unfortunately, most of the cutting I want to do with a knife is not straight lines--it's the little curvy places that I can't get at with the small, ultra fine scissors. I use my paper cutter for almost all my straight line cutting.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:27 AM   #50
Stampin' Fool

I just went in and tried all of my different knives using the tips mentioned here. My favorite was the Martha Stewart Bone Folder/Craft knife. Now the problem: none of the craft stores in my area carry the refill blades. They seem to be different from the ones you can buy in bulk at a Home Depot or such. Online they only come in packs of 3. Also, I thought they were reversible making it more like 6 blades but (MS is smart!) she made them with only one end a cutting blade. So, does anyone know if those are something that can be bought in bulk? They aren't the same as the blades in the MS Craft Knife. (the one without the bone folder)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #51
Mad Swapper

PJill, thats exactly why I went over to a scalpel- every craft knife that comes out has blades specific to it, at stupid prices, usually.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #52
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheron View Post

I have all kinds of rulers I accumulated from my university days and taking drafting classes (back in the day before computer drafting really got going so we had to know how to do it "by hand"). The one I use the most is my 12" metal cork backed ruler. I glued a new piece of cork to it a few years ago because the other stuff finally wore off. I've had this ruler for 30 years. I have curvy rulers, french scrolls, quilting rulers, tearing rulers, plastic rulers, wood rulers, metal rulers, architect rulers,... you name it I probably have it. She who has the most toys at the end wins. Now don't get me started on all my pencils, pens, and calculators...