Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default MISTI with wood-mounted stamps.

This is not my idea or even a new trick, but just in case you too have a wood-mounted stamp you want to use with MISTI, you should know that removing the rubber stamp from the wood block is just a matter of melting the adhesive by microwaving. My most recent one took 35 seconds, but I always start with 15 seconds and then move up from there.

Then I back the rubber stamp with EZ Mount Stamp 'n Stor. That makes it good-to-go for MISTI. If you want, it's easy to glue the rubber back onto the wood block, but I suspect MISTI will be so loved, you won't want to bother with any stamp you can't use with it.

EZ Mount comes in 8x11 sheets and has the directions printed on it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is awesome to know. I will be back with questions when it's my time to switch to my MISTI!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I started converting my wood mounts to clear mounts a few months ago. There are still more to do but I had to take a break from it. I still have some SU clear mount cling foam so need to get started again. Guess I should have ordered more with my last order. i'll have to take inventory an see how much more i'll need and how many DVD cases I'll need. I think sale-a-bration and occasions mini starts right after first of year so I know what I'll be ordering. In the meantime I have plenty of stamps to use with MISTI when it arrives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2014, 06:38 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Any good sources for the EZ mount cling foam? One sheet on Amazon is $4 with an additional $3.50. I don't have a need for a pack of 10.

Are there any cheaper solutions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brilliant thanks for sharing. I just ordered my misti at last and now the wait - I'm in Australia. Finally I will be able to try. Watch out cardworld, straight images!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzteazeView Post
Any good sources for the EZ mount cling foam? One sheet on Amazon is $4 with an additional $3.50. I don't have a need for a pack of 10.

Are there any cheaper solutions?
There may be cheaper, but when I bought mine 10 years ago,
Sunday International was the EZ Mount brand favored by the "big wig" stampers. There are two variables that might make one brand differ from another; the strength of the cling to the Misti, and the strength of the adhesive to the stamp. Both need to be strong or the money is wasted.

Look farther down on the page at Amazon. You can buy fewer than 10 sheets. And if you click on the Amazon Ad from SCS, the Moderators who volunteer here get gifted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If when you microwave the stamp, you are able to remove it with the foam intact, you can just coat the back of the stamp with repositionable glue - Alene's Tack It Over and Over or Tombo Mono Multi with the green caps are two I've used - and save a bunch of money, and trimming of the EZ Mount. The down side is that you need to wait for the glue to dry; and once it's dry you'll want to stick it to your jeans or your arm or something a few times to cut down on the sticking power a little bit.

I don't have a MISTI, but I've done this with wood mounted stamps to be used with acrylic blocks for years, and it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
If when you microwave the stamp, you are able to remove it with the foam intact, you can just coat the back of the stamp with repositionable glue - Alene's Tack It Over and Over or Tombo Mono Multi with the green caps are two I've used - and save a bunch of money, and trimming of the EZ Mount. The down side is that you need to wait for the glue to dry; and once it's dry you'll want to stick it to your jeans or your arm or something a few times to cut down on the sticking power a little bit.

I don't have a MISTI, but I've done this with wood mounted stamps to be used with acrylic blocks for years, and it works great.
Thank you so much for the tip on the Mono Multi! I have a number of stamps I don't want to add EZ Mount to since they stamp so great with my MISIT! I'm going to try this hopefully tonight!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew each of these things but never thought to put them together! thanks for the great idea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

There's discussion on the other MISTI thread in this forum about the residue left by Tack 'n Peel, and I suppose any glue-type product. Since MISTI needs a special cleaner, I would worry about that. HOWEVER once some Users report back about it, I will surely be on board with using glue instead of EZ-Mount, but only if the glue application is a one-time thing rather than every time you want to use that particular stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

The glue is a one-time thing; I've had it on some stamps for over 5 years and haven't needed to reapply. I also can't say that I've noticed any kind of residue on my blocks from the glue, except when I've been too quick to try to use the stamp and the glue isn't quite dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 06:02 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for sharing! I'm so looking forward to getting my MISTI and this info is very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
I started converting my wood mounts to clear mounts a few months ago. There are still more to do but I had to take a break from it. I still have some SU clear mount cling foam so need to get started again. Guess I should have ordered more with my last order. i'll have to take inventory an see how much more i'll need and how many DVD cases I'll need. I think sale-a-bration and occasions mini starts right after first of year so I know what I'll be ordering. In the meantime I have plenty of stamps to use with MISTI when it arrives.
On another thread I read a Users complaint that the stamps on which she used SU Clear Mount Cling SOMETIMES fell off the block in the midst of the stamping process, spoiling that card. She had to add glue to the SU cling .Of course the same thing could happen if used with MISTI, so perhaps there has been a change in the Cling SU sells now, because i heard many positive remarks about it in the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=Bahb;20830658]On another thread I read a Users complaint that the stamps on which she used SU Clear Mount Cling SOMETIMES fell off the block in the midst of the stamping process, spoiling that card. She had to add glue to the SU cling .Of course the same thing could happen if used with MISTI, so perhaps there has been a change in the Cling SU sells now, because i heard many positive remarks about it in the past.[/QUOT

For what it's worth:
I never had a problem with SU Clear Mount Cling sticking to my blocks. There has been many reported problems that the stickers that come with their stamps don't cling well. I have had some problem with that. In either case, including EZ mount, if your block and/or foam gets dirty they don't cling well and have to be cleaned.

Last edited by crazysuziestamper; 12-04-2014 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I've been using unmounted rubber with Sailor 2-in-1 Glue (similar concept to the Monomulti or Alene's Tack It Over and Over) for years now, and there's no ill effects on acrylic blocks or (now that I have one) the MISTI. I've also used poster tape and/or regular Scotch double-sided tape with no trouble. Like anything else that gets regular use, you do need to clean things up periodically, but not because there's residue...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope everyone who wants one gets one soon

Last edited by Joan B; 12-05-2014 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: felt like it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I have a "reverse" question. I just received two old unmounted Stampin Up background stamps. It's the backing cling or permanent?. Do I need to do anything else to them to get it ready to use with MISTI or acrylic blocks???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Subscribing...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I have a "reverse" question. I just received two old unmounted Stampin Up background stamps. It's the backing cling or permanent?. Do I need to do anything else to them to get it ready to use with MISTI or acrylic blocks???
Does the red rubber have a black or grey backing? SOMETIMES either one will stick to either MISTI or the acrylic blocks. If it doesn't stick, then you need to use EZ-Mount or one of the glues mentioned on this thread, to make it sticky enough to adhere while you stamp.

If the background stamp you received is red rubber only, you have no choice but to follow one of the recommends below. You can see we all have our favorite way of making the stamp ready to stay on the block or MISTI......you can choose which you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
Does the red rubber have a black or grey backing? SOMETIMES either one will stick to either MISTI or the acrylic blocks. If it doesn't stick, then you need to use EZ-Mount or one of the glues mentioned on this thread, to make it sticky enough to adhere while you stamp.

If the background stamp you received is red rubber only, you have no choice but to follow one of the recommends below. You can see we all have our favorite way of making the stamp ready to stay on the block or MISTI......you can choose which you want.
Both stamps have the grey backing. I also have the wood blocks they mount onto. Both stamps are from 2002 and 2003, so my fear is that it's permanent glue not the cling style.

I'm tempted to mount the plastic sticker that comes with it to the grey backing then spray some type of repositionable spray over that surface.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Both stamps have the grey backing. I also have the wood blocks they mount onto. Both stamps are from 2002 and 2003, so my fear is that it's permanent glue not the cling style.

I'm tempted to mount the plastic sticker that comes with it to the grey backing then spray some type of repositionable spray over that surface.
With that date, and the fact that they came with wooden blocks and the stickers tells me that those are NOT the cling style.

You don't need to stick the sticker on first; you can just apply the repositionable glue over the permanent sticky and it will work. I haven't done this with spray, though - I've only done it with Alene's Tack It Over and Over and Mono Multi. (And I should add, I don't have the MIStI - I am basing this on my experiences with using SU wood mount stamps on acrylic blocks.) If you do choose to use the sticker, it's a good idea to trim it close to the edge of the image so that it doesn't completely cover the back of the stamp. Those that I didn't trim kind of reached over the edge of the foam. Once I applied the glue and used it on the acrylic blocks, the sticker wanted to pull away from the foam and stay on the block. If you trim the sticker back and then apply the repositionable glue, it kind of seals the sticker to the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I also found that, over time, the stickers tended to "dry rot" or something, and tear away from the stamp and stay stuck to the block. I don't even bother with them now...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks cbet & gregzgurl!. Now I have to run or to get the adhesive. Guess I can store the wood just in case I decide to sell the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Heart New post about un-mounting wood-mounted stamps :)

Hi all, Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions you all have made over the years. I used to stamp in the past and have tons of wood-mounted stamps. I stop stamping because I found that I was never able to get real good stamp images on my own. Recently I became aware of the Tim Holtz and Misti stamp platforms. Needless to say, I am ecstatic and look forward to stamping again. I'm going to un-mount all my stamps but would like to include an image of the stamp on top of the unmounted stamp. All my stamps have the grey foam on them and I have successfully remove the wood mount on my test stamps without damaging the foam. My questions are: (1) I have read on another Splitcoast Forum thread that you should stamp your stamp image on tissue paper, glue it to the foam backing, then seal it with repositionable glue such as Aleene or Tombow. Most of my stamps have beautiful colored images on the wood mount. I was thinking of xeroxing the color image onto regular paper, gluing it to the foam, followed by the repositionable glue. Has anyone tried this? Do you think it will work? (2) Once the repositionable glue is dried on the unmounted stamp, what is the best way to store them? A cheap alternative would be great since I have a lot of stamps. I have heard of EZMount StampNStor but it is quite pricey. I would like to store them on a thicker plastic sheet so that it has some weight to it. For example, I store my dies on 8.5x11 magnet sheets then into a thicker sheet protector. Thanks so much for your wisdom and help. So sorry for the long post. Happy Mothers Day! Hugs, Rosalie
Reply With Quote Likes