Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Mini-rhinestones - alternative ....

Hi --

I'm always looking for lower-cost alternatives for supplies, and stumbled upon really inexpensive colored rhinestones. They're the ones used by manicurists to create "nail art" -- flat back small (2 mm) rhinestones. Just got a pack with 12 colors, 200 of each color, for a total of 2400 rhinestones, for <$6.00 on Amazon.com. Brand name is MASH. Probably available from other sources as well, but I shop a lot on Amazon, so that's where I got these.

Pros: just the right size to highlight some of my lacy die cuts. Inexpensive. Lots of colors. I use a Sakura Glue Pen to adhere them -- it allows me to lay down a tiny dot of glue, then drop the rhinestone on top of that.

Cons: prone to static electricity. VERY small -- I invested in special needle-nose tweezers to make handling them easier (tweezers, also by MASH, cost about $5, and yes, they do help).

Still, I'm happy with them so far. It's going to take me awhile to get through 2400 of them!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Rubber Obsessor

I'm always on the hunt for lower cost alternatives too. Thanks for this. How are you storing them?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrylin View Post
I'm always on the hunt for lower cost alternatives too. Thanks for this. How are you storing them?
They're packaged in a small round storage "disk," segmented like a pie, with an attached "lid" that has an open segment. You turn the lid to expose whatever color you want to work with. Kinda hard to describe, but it works reasonably well. Because of the static electricity issue, some of the rhinestones "stick" to the cover, but as you turn it, they fall back into the compartment.

The disk is probably 3"-3.5" in diameter, and maybe 3/8" thick -- quite small, but it holds them quite well. I spot-checked a few colors, and you really do get ~200 of each.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Proud Fan Club Member

I was in the clearance section at Michaels today and found many of their Jolee Swarovski crystal elements on sale for $1.79 for a pack of 30. I bought five different colors. These crystals are so gorgeous, 4 mm, flat backed and easy to adhere to add bling to anything.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Glitter Queen

That's a great price! I don't get to Michael's very often, but next time I'm there, I'll check those out.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Die Cut Diva

For rhinestones, check out the "cell phone area" at Dollar Stores. The kids love to put them on their cell phones and you'll see big packs of them in that section for $1!

A better bargain then purchasing at craft stores!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaMM View Post
That's a great price! I don't get to Michael's very often, but next time I'm there, I'll check those out.
I think they are normally at least $3.99 a pack and they look like real jewels, so shiny. I bought five packs and divided them into sets of three so I could give some to two friends with their Christmas gifts. So we all have 50 of them.