Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Insane Embellisher

Default Metal Shim for Intricate Dies

I just saw a video on Memory Box and they have a Metal Shim for intricate dies. Not able to find where to purchase. Think I remember reading on SCS that other manufacturers have a metal shim but again I can't find any, anywhere. Do you know where I might purchase one? Does anyone have a review they would like to share? Also, don't know how much they cost, but is there something one could purchase at a Home Depot, Lowes for cheap that would do the same thing? I have a Big Shot if that makes a difference. Thank you for any help you can be. Suzie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Stampin' Fool

Amber has them in her store: Chic and Savvy Crafters Product List.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Diane..you rock!
blessings.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 01-19-2012 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: SPR
Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Rubber Obsessor

I posted a question on Memory Box's Facebook page to find out when their metal plate will be available for retail sale. I'll post when I get an answer.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchased mine from Ecstasy Crafts in Canada but they have an outlet in the US. Check their blog.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

Cheery Lynn also has a metal adaptor plate for use with the Big Shot. Here's a link.

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Pearl-ExPert

Cherry Lynn has them: Supplies: Cheery Lynn Designs: Our Magical Dies work in your favorite table-top machine
Old 01-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Rubber Obsessor

If you want to go the cheap route, here's a post I made on another board a couple of weeks ago:

I went to Lowes today in search of thin metal to use in my Cuttlebug (CB). I found a couple of things in the roofing area that looked like they'd work and since they were each less than $1 I bought them both to see which would work better.

The first one was called 5x8 Shingle Brown Steel Item #125874 and cost $.84. It is not as wide as the CB plates, but it is wide enough for the dies I have. It's dull grey on one side and brown paint on the other. It's very malleable, so all the ones in stock were kinda bent from being tossed around. I picked the best of the bunch and just ran it through my CB a few times between the plates and some shims to flatten it out. The sandwich I used (from the bottom up) was A plate, metal plate, C plate, die (cutting side up), paper to cut, B plate. I had to put the cutting side up in order to get it to work well, though. I also taped the die to the paper since I was going to run it through a couple of times and didn't want it to slip. Don't make the mistake I made and put the metal plate on the top of the sandwich because the roller makes the metal curl. I ran it through 2 times (back and forth) and it worked great.

The 2nd one was called 8x12 flashing shingle .015 Galv (I think this means galvanised) Item #125854 and was $.88. Since it's too wide, I had to use tin snips to cut the sheet to 5 7/8 wide so it would fit through the CB. I basically cut it in half so I'd have 2 pieces, but I did it by cutting a strip out of the center so that I'd only have to smooth one side of each piece. It's kind of shiny brushed silver and is much less malleable than the other metal I found. I think I liked this one better because it was more rigid, but it had to be cut and filed smooth so I wouldn't hurt myself when I used it. The sandwich was the same as the other metal. Again, I had to put the cutting side up and it worked in 2 passes (ran it back and forth).

It looked like the thickness of the metals were about the same, just a little less than 1 mm. Neither of them were stainless steel, but I don't think it mattered since I won't be getting them wet.

Since I was in the experimenting mode, I tried cutting with my problem-child die without the metal plates to see if putting the cutting side up would help. I had to use 3 pieces of cardstock shim, but it cut just as well as using the metal plate. I'm not sure if everyone else's CB will cut better with the dies placed cutting side up, but it's worth a try if you don't want to mess with the metal plate.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

From what I can tell Esctasy gets their metal plates from Cheery Lynn. Cheery Lynn has two different sizes available. one is approx the size of an A2 card and the other one is I believe a little bigger than a 5 x 7 card. I hope this helps. The prices on these are very reasonable.
blessings.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeemvf View Post
If you want to go the cheap route, here's a post I made on another board a couple of weeks ago:

I went to Lowes today in search of thin metal to use in my Cuttlebug (CB). I found a couple of things in the roofing area that looked like they'd work and since they were each less than $1 I bought them both to see which would work better.

The first one was called 5x8 Shingle Brown Steel Item #125874 and cost $.84. It is not as wide as the CB plates, but it is wide enough for the dies I have. It's dull grey on one side and brown paint on the other. It's very malleable, so all the ones in stock were kinda bent from being tossed around. I picked the best of the bunch and just ran it through my CB a few times between the plates and some shims to flatten it out. The sandwich I used (from the bottom up) was A plate, metal plate, C plate, die (cutting side up), paper to cut, B plate. I had to put the cutting side up in order to get it to work well, though. I also taped the die to the paper since I was going to run it through a couple of times and didn't want it to slip. Don't make the mistake I made and put the metal plate on the top of the sandwich because the roller makes the metal curl. I ran it through 2 times (back and forth) and it worked great.

The 2nd one was called 8x12 flashing shingle .015 Galv (I think this means galvanised) Item #125854 and was $.88. Since it's too wide, I had to use tin snips to cut the sheet to 5 7/8 wide so it would fit through the CB. I basically cut it in half so I'd have 2 pieces, but I did it by cutting a strip out of the center so that I'd only have to smooth one side of each piece. It's kind of shiny brushed silver and is much less malleable than the other metal I found. I think I liked this one better because it was more rigid, but it had to be cut and filed smooth so I wouldn't hurt myself when I used it. The sandwich was the same as the other metal. Again, I had to put the cutting side up and it worked in 2 passes (ran it back and forth).

It looked like the thickness of the metals were about the same, just a little less than 1 mm. Neither of them were stainless steel, but I don't think it mattered since I won't be getting them wet.

Since I was in the experimenting mode, I tried cutting with my problem-child die without the metal plates to see if putting the cutting side up would help. I had to use 3 pieces of cardstock shim, but it cut just as well as using the metal plate. I'm not sure if everyone else's CB will cut better with the dies placed cutting side up, but it's worth a try if you don't want to mess with the metal plate.

I hope this helps.
Colleen: My goodness! How wonderful of you to share so much with us. Going a cheaper-just-as-good way is important to crafters. It saves us tons of money. Your tutorial was very clear. Makes for a great you tube! Thanks so much!