Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which markers to purchase.

I don't do much these days but my old stampin up markers finally fell apart and I need something new. The kids ( teens) will use them occasionally but for the most part it will be me, drawing, shading and some colouring.What would recommend and why? Thanks. :p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

From the sound of what you're doing with yours, have you considered a nice set of colored pencils. Your could do your drawing and shading with them, and then, of course some coloring. You can always blend them with odorless mineral spirits OMS, such as Gamsol.

If you did watercoloring, I would recommend Tombow markers, similar to what you've been used to with your SU markers.

Copic markers are great, but more expensive, and you mentioned you only use them occasionally, so I wouldn't go that route since that won't get much use. The other two options you can probably find on sale or at a more affordable price point in smaller color groupings.

Hopefully some others will have some good ideas for you as well, and good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Colored pencils are a great option. You could get watercolor pencils and use them either wet or dry.

If you prefer markers, here's a thread discussing the different options Any one use Crayola Markers? by summerfun at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a HUGE fan of the Gamsol Magic technique, and have used everything from Prismacolor pencils to CraZArt cheapies. The paper you use matters more than which pencil, I think. It should have some "tooth" to it, as opposed to being super smooth. Dina (resident artist/expert here on SCS) likes to use Bristol board, if I remember correctly. I've always used whatever I have on hand, and been okay with that... I don't like the paper blending stumps, though, so I use Swisspers cosmetic applicators instead.

I have NEVER been successful at coloring a stamp with markers, then stamping, so I haven't even bothered with any of the water-based markers. The alcohol-based markers that I own are a mix of Prismacolor, Spectrum Noir and Bic MarkIts (fine and ultra-fine tips). If you want to try your hand at those, I would try the Bics (cheaper) and see what you thought.

Having said that, I will also say that I followed Carla's link and read that thread, and may have to pick up some Crayola markers and have a play...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have Derwent watercolour pencils ( which I hide from the boys!) but had never thought of using their crayolas! A dear friend who no longer uses her spectrum noir pens is going to send them to me to try. I never tried the gamsol technique but might look into that too. I lost my mojo about 3 years ago and it still hasn't come back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I hope you find your mojo! When mine goes AWOL I like to organize things. Touching all the "pretties" usually stirs at least a couple of ideas...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I hope you find your mojo! When mine goes AWOL I like to organize things. Touching all the "pretties" usually stirs at least a couple of ideas...
I sold a lot of my things. We travelled for a year a didn't have time to do anything, then were supposed to move back home to the UK. It didn't happen. I did some beading and a lot of sewing projects. However, I started making Christmas cards today, very simple cut outs but it's a start. New house, finding stuff again - it all takes time. On a side note, we came through Vegas on our adventure.
Reply With Quote Likes