Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Memories trimmer questions (and observations)

After a bit of research on this forum, I bit the bullet the other day and ordered a Making Memories trimmer from Joann.com. Received it a few days ago and got to use it a little, but it makes an awful squeaky noise. I also expected the blade thingy to glide a little easier. And I don't see a way to cut smaller strips of paper, as there are no markings on the "other" side of the blade and that side is uneven so I can't put the paper flush against that side to cut a straight 1/2" strip for example. =(

Couple of questions: is there a way to get rid of that awful squeak?
Also, there is a little red plastic slider on one side that for the life of me I can't figure out what is for. Trimmer came w/ no manual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this trimmer and really like it. I do think it's kind of silly that it doesn't have instructions, though. Here's what I've figured out:

The red lever is kind of like those levers on battery cases. If you slide it up, it will come off and then you can remove the whole cutting arm. I would do this and then put the whole arm back together carefully, replacing the red lever. It will slide back into place.

It sounds like the cutting arm may be a little off track and that's what is making the squeeking sound. You can also do this if you get tiny bits of paper residue in the cutting track and need to clean it out.

As far as cutting smaller strips, here's what I do. It works, but it is a little awkward. With the trimmer facing you, slide your paper completely under the clear "fixed" piece on the right side, toward the cutting arm.

It is clear, so you can see to position the paper at the 1/2" mark at the top. Then use your left hand to press down firmly on the clear piece to hold the paper firmly in place over the small strip while you slide the blade down with your right hand. The larger side of your paper will be on the right, and the small 1/2" strip under the clear piece on your left.

In the alternative, I have also used an opposite method, with the larger piece of paper on the left, and slid the paper under the clear strip until it looks like about 1/2" is over the right edge. You can check with a ruler to see if it's the measurement you want at the top that's hanging off, and then line up the whole left edge of your paper along the grid lines before you cut.

I hope this is clear. After writing this, maybe I understand why they didn't include instructions. Writing instructions is difficult!:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I also have this trimmer and love it! I bought it about two years ago and had the same problem. The sound is like nails on a chalk board. i called the company and was told to "reset" it by removing the red clip, arm and blade and then put it back together again. I tried this and it would sound better for a while, but soon the sound would come back. I got ahold of the company again and was sent a new one. Making Memories has wonderful customer service and will certainly take care of this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I don't have a MM trimmer, I have used trimmers where making a cut on a small strip of paper was hard. What I discovered, and from what I've read here it would probably work for this trimmer, was that I could put a post-it note on the strip that I wanted to cut, and use the post-it-note to help with holding until I could press down on the mechanism that holds the paper in place (in this case the clear plastic).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my second MM trimmer. The first started shredding my cardstock. Michael's took it back and gave me store credit! The newer one works fine, but I do hear squeaks once in a while. I agree, too, that the top and bottom edges aren't quite square. I try to remember that when I'm in a hurry and line the cardstock up with the grid lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Aha, I figured out how to pull the little red tab out and tinkered with the blade assembly a bit, no more squeak and runs smoother.

Thank you all for your help! I'll have to try the idea w/ the stick it note to cut small strips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi

I have this trimmer too and I just wanted to share this

I had a crop last weekend and someone in my crop broke my trimmer by cutting wires with it. There was many people so I could not check everyone. I figured at the end of the crop by someone else who wanted to use it that it was not cutting anymore. It was a new cutter that I got 1 week before and was working perfectly.

Also they broke my C plate from my cuttlebug.

I think that is my last crop I organize
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Don't be discouraged. If it's in your heart to do crops... you will organize another one. Things like that are bound to happen when others use your tools. It's a hard decision to make...but sometimes you have to charge a little more for the crop fee when you organize a crop so that those types of mishaps can be covered. It's sad that it has to be that way, but that's just how it is these days. Tools are expensive and sharing them with others can be costly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yuck on people breaking your stuff at crops. YUCK.

Brilliant on the post it note suggestion. I wanna kiss you.

I have this trimmer too and had to take it apart at first, it wasn't on the track right. I find it very odd that they are like that, but whatever. I do love the trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I have had this trimmer for almost a year. I agree that you have to line up your cardstock with the grids, not necessarily the top or bottom edge. Last weekend I cut some cardboard with it, and thought I broke it. My husband figured out the little red thing and took it apart. We cleaned it all out, and I think it works even better than before! Directions would have been handy though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I have it and can't stand it. Got it at M's with a coupon. It frays all the edges of my CS. Is there anything to do about that? I have been back to using my little Fiskars one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
I have it and can't stand it. Got it at M's with a coupon. It frays all the edges of my CS. Is there anything to do about that? I have been back to using my little Fiskars one.
Oh no, something is wrong. This trimmer makes the cleanest cuts of any trimmers I have had, even others with a brand new blade.

See my post #2 above about pushing the red lever up and taking the cutting arm out. It could be just "off track" and if you take apart and reassemble that might help.

If not, go to the Making Memories website. They have a form to fill out for defective products. They will ask some questions about when you purchased it and you need the model number. It's on the box.

I did this when a previous one I had was losing the grid lines. They have since corrected the problem and the new ones have a coating that keeps this from happening. They sent me a brand new trimmer in a couple of weeks. I didn't have to send the old one in or anything.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Hello,
To be honest, I haven't been that happy with mine. There are some things I really like - I love how sharp it is, and how I can cut tiny slivers of paper. However, I do not like the fact that the paper guides (perpendicular to the blade) are not quite square. This means that instead of just butting my paper up to the guide at my desired measurement, I have to line the paper up to the grid and hold it down each time I have to make a cut. Yes, I know I can use the magnetic ruler to help keep the paper in place, but when you're making lots of cuts it just kind of bogs down the whole process having to line it up to the grid all the time rather than just use the guide. Plus it's a little harder to line up 1/4" cuts.
Considering how much I paid for this trimmer, is it really too much to ask for the paper guides to be square?! :( That's why I decided to shell out for this trimmer in the first place; because my old one didn't cut straight.
I do like the crispness of the cuts (after removing the track and resetting the blade).
nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I had the same problem with the frayed edges at first too. After I took it apart and played with it, it cuts perfectly now. Must be a characteristic of many of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by felis44View Post
That's why I decided to shell out for this trimmer in the first place; because my old one didn't cut straight.
Is there ANY paper cutter that truly cuts straight? I've been thinking about the one SU carries- the expensive one - but it seems awful bulky and heavy - I don't have room to keep my trimmer on my desk so that has held me off so far!

What I really wish for is not only one that is truly square - but one with a cardmaker in mind - that would NOT have the 4 1/4" or 5 1/2" inch mark at an inconvenient spot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I have had this trimmer for a while and from time to time, it would cut badly. I would take it apart, clean the track, put it back together and everything would be right with the world again (aside fromt the fact that it never did cut perfectly straight and was even worse if I had to cut on the fold out part of the cutting table....so I just used the grid lines and not the edge).

Anyway, just recently I noticed when I would cut, the piece of paper getting cut off would be cut VERY badly...like VERY wavy. I would have to trim it off. I got in touch with MM and they are sending my a new trimmer. I can't ask for anything better than that! I am very pleased with the customer service....I didn't know what they would do, but truly did not expect a new trimmer!

Kudos to MM!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I am trying to fix that *$&%^ squeak in my MM trimmer. I contacted MM and they said it was "normal" (!!) and that I should use sewing machine GEL oil if I wished. Now, I have TWO very expensive sewing machines, and the oil I have for them is definitely not GEL. Anybody know what the heck I need to look for?
I'm really irritated at this trimmer--I love the way it cuts but that squeak is driving me insane. I've taken the cutting arm apart several times as directed, but I have had NO luck in fixing the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I bought a Carl DC 220. It was expensive at ~$100 and it's huge (cuts 12x15) but I love it. Straight clean cuts EVERY time. Worth every penny.

I also have the SU/Tonic desktop guillotine trimmer and I love it as well for crops and quick cuts. Not heavy, not bulky and has a self-sharpening blade.

Both are awesome trimmers. I never wanted to mess with something that needs constant adjusting or replacements. That's good customer service, but lousy quality control, IMHO.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
I am trying to fix that *$&%^ squeak in my MM trimmer. I contacted MM and they said it was "normal" (!!) and that I should use sewing machine GEL oil if I wished. Now, I have TWO very expensive sewing machines, and the oil I have for them is definitely not GEL. Anybody know what the heck I need to look for?
I'm really irritated at this trimmer--I love the way it cuts but that squeak is driving me insane. I've taken the cutting arm apart several times as directed, but I have had NO luck in fixing the problem.
Hey there, I had a whole thread a few days back about fixing the %#$&^ squeak in this otherwise wonderful trimmer.

Yes, you can use your sewing machine oil. Actually, I used regular 3 in One household oil, and several other people used WD 40.

I put a tiny drop of oil on a folded tissue, and ran it along the top and bottom of the aluminum arm where the black plastic blade housing runs. You don't need much oil at all.

It is the sound of the plastic against the metal that makes the horrible noise. The oil works like magic.

Just be very careful and sparing with the oil and don't get it anywhere except on the aluminum arm. I cut a few sheets of scrap cardstock after I did it, to be sure that the oil wouldn't stain. It works like a charm now.

My two little dogs always went nuts when I cut paper before. I hated the noise, so I can imagine how it sounded to their sensitive ears.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Yeah, it definatley has some quirks. I think I like my old Fiskar cutter better now that I've had it for a while. It's nice not to have to change the blades, but in the long run, changing a blade every six months is not that big of a hassle. I HATE the fact that I always have to use the grids, and now they're even wearing off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
I know this problem well. Calling it a "squeak" is putting it nicely. It is not "normal" and the company should replace it. I called the MM and was told about removing the arm and it would sound better for a short while, then the sound would return, YIKES!!!! They finally sent me a new trimmer after I called them back to let them know that removing the arm didn't work.
I do believe that this trimmer is a good one, but some do have problems.
Hopefully MM can work them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm still stuck on trying to open the arm...the red thing will NOT budge. I'm going to have to break down and ask my dh to try and I always hate playing the weak female role, lol!

So, if I do get this off, it's pretty easy to put back together?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I'm still stuck on trying to open the arm...the red thing will NOT budge. I'm going to have to break down and ask my dh to try and I always hate playing the weak female role, lol!

So, if I do get this off, it's pretty easy to put back together?
Betsy, I had a hard time with the red lever on mine, too. I finally got a small screwdriver, inserted it carefully in the bottom and sort of pried up. It jumped right off. It is easy to reassemble again once you get it off.

Also, did you see the tip about using oil on the top and bottom of the aluminum arm to keep the black plastic blade guide from making that horrible sound. Just a little drop on a folded tissue will work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

i've had a trimmer replaced and the new one cuts crooked! the "bottom" of the cutter, where you're supposed to butt your paper against and measure etc is absolutely crooked. I will hold it flush against the bottom and it cuts wrong every time.

you guys heard the cutter is discontinued, right? Maybe it's because of all of the different issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by felis44View Post
Hello,
To be honest, I haven't been that happy with mine. There are some things I really like - I love how sharp it is, and how I can cut tiny slivers of paper. However, I do not like the fact that the paper guides (perpendicular to the blade) are not quite square. This means that instead of just butting my paper up to the guide at my desired measurement, I have to line the paper up to the grid and hold it down each time I have to make a cut. Yes, I know I can use the magnetic ruler to help keep the paper in place, but when you're making lots of cuts it just kind of bogs down the whole process having to line it up to the grid all the time rather than just use the guide. Plus it's a little harder to line up 1/4" cuts.
Considering how much I paid for this trimmer, is it really too much to ask for the paper guides to be square?! :( That's why I decided to shell out for this trimmer in the first place; because my old one didn't cut straight.
I do like the crispness of the cuts (after removing the track and resetting the blade).
nina
That's exactly why I took mine back to Michael's after one day. It takes too long to line the paper up with the grid marks and it's too easy to get it misaligned. For the price of the trimmer, it should be more well made, imho. I will use my Tonic or my Fiskars Ultimate Craft Trimmer - they both cut nice and straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

No, I didn't hear the cutter is discontinued.....Mine has always cut crooked, too. I bought another one and figured I would return the first one and the 2nd one cut worse so I returned it instead. I just always fought with it and would use the grids and then one day I noticed the part that got cut off started to cut wavy....VERY wavy....all the way down. I took it all apart, cleaned the track and checked it all out, put it back together and no improvement. I did it again and still bad. I called MM and they said they would send me another one, but it's been about a month and I am still waiting......
I did tell them about the cutting crooked issue as well while I had them on the phone....just as an FYI, but they are supposed to be sending a new one out so I will see....
This stinks...it cuts so well....I don't know what happened to mine to make it cut wavy like that all of a sudden. I have used it about a million times!!!!! I love that trimmer!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I didn't know that either (discontinued). Maybe that explains MM's lacklustre response to my complaint about crooked cuts... I noticed that one of the black guide moves slightly, so I might try to unscrew the guide (you can see all the screws if you flip the whole thing over) and see if I can realign it all by a smidge to get the straight cut... if I am successful I'll let you know!

nina
Reply With Quote Likes