Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Memories Slice-anyone getting one

I really want one of these and I read somewhere that they are now shipping. Is anyone getting one? If anyone gets one can you please let me know what you think. I am really debating this vs The Big Shot. I am a hobby demo so I am not concerned about selling dies etc.

Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Nope. I have a Quickutz Silhouette digital cutter and it's the only one I need.

Even if I didn't have one I'm not convinced the Slice is a good idea when you compare it with the bigger cutters on the market.

And on top of it you have to buy the design cards separately from the machine. Just doesn't seem as versatile as say the Cricut machine.

As for comparing to the Big Shot, it's really like comparing apples to oranges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 04:39 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not convinced the Slice is 'all that great'. You're better off with the Big Shot - much more versatile as it will cut all dies....I'm hearing that the Slice is slow - it may or may not cut heavier cs very well (blade adjustment), and by the time you're through getting all the extras you will need - larger glass mat, the spray which needs to be used over the glass mat to keep the pp from sticking, AND - !!! all those additional font and shape chips, you've spent a whole lot more than you would have with the BS....I really think you would need to see a Slice demo IRL!

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 05:28 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I saw it demoed yesterday and it didn't sway me from my original position of disinterest:

The machine will not cut a series of letters -- so it won't do a title or a name;
In cutting only one letter at a time, there is no easy way to reposition the machine to maximize paper use for subsequent letters;
The operator must hold the machine while it is working -- and the demonstrator I saw had a pretty firm grip on the machine;
It is slow.

Yes - it is very portable -- but so is my Squeeze, a Big Shot and, frankly, a friend of mine bought a very cute rolling tote for her Crikut which (while I thought was excessive because the machine is pretty easy to transport to start with!) makes it really cute while it is out and about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I pre-ordered one for me and one for my friend.

I don't think it compares to a Big Shot. A Big Shot is along the lines of a Cuttlebug, Sizzix, Quickutz... these are all manual die-cutting machines.

Slice is along the lines of the Cricut. Digital.

At least that is my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

I was really excited to get it. But as so much time has passed, the excitement has faded, along with a lot of negative comments I've been reading. The biggest turn off for me is the fact that you have to spray some adhesive to the back of the paper to the glass mat before you cut? If that is true, that would suck!!! The cost of the spray will probably add up real fast, especially for heavy handed ppl like me. I'm regretting the pre-order just a little bit. But I only got it for $99. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.. maybe in a couple of weeks!

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I watched a demo on the MM website and it sounded like it would not cut heavy cardstock or chipboard. It looks fun and the letter fonts are cute but it may be too limited for Cricut/BigShot lovers.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I named the Big Shot as a portability comparative.
Yes - the Slice is electronic - the Big Shot is manual ---- but, I think, the "Big Shot/Kick" is as easily portable as the new Slice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisisView Post
I pre-ordered one for me and one for my friend.

I don't think it compares to a Big Shot. A Big Shot is along the lines of a Cuttlebug, Sizzix, Quickutz... these are all manual die-cutting machines.

Slice is along the lines of the Cricut. Digital.

At least that is my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

I was really excited to get it. But as so much time has passed, the excitement has faded, along with a lot of negative comments I've been reading. The biggest turn off for me is the fact that you have to spray some adhesive to the back of the paper to the glass mat before you cut? If that is true, that would suck!!! The cost of the spray will probably add up real fast, especially for heavy handed ppl like me. I'm regretting the pre-order just a little bit. But I only got it for $99. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.. maybe in a couple of weeks!

You do not us spray adhesive it is a tub of glue that you paint over the glass mat and let dry. it helps hold the paper in place when cutting. I have cut Stampin Up paper with it and it works great, I have not found it a pain to hold. The longest cut takes about 45 seconds, most cuts have averaged about 5-10 seconds. I guess I find it way more portable then my Big Shot due to the fact that I do not have to cart around the dies...the cartridge is the size of a digital memory stick.

I believe it is a great purchase and I can not wait for Making Memories to add more dies to the library.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoydeneView Post
I named the Big Shot as a portability comparative.
Yes - the Slice is electronic - the Big Shot is manual ---- but, I think, the "Big Shot/Kick" is as easily portable as the new Slice.

I have both and the Slice is way more portable. JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I ordered it last night from Joann's for $75. Yes, you read that right!! They currently show 'out of stock' and I think that they have now caught their mistake (accepting the 50 off coupon for a die cutting machine) but I'm hoping I still get it at that price.
I too am a hobby demo. And I just received my Big Shot on Friday. LOVE it, by the way!! I was an embossing fool on Saturday! BUT, I borrowed a Sizzix alphabet from my friend, and I found cutting too many letters out was a pain. I never planned on doing much cutting with the Big Shot anyway, I just really wanted something to emboss with, so that's why I went ahead and ordered the Slice.
I love the size of it, I love the images on the cartridges, I just love how it works! I've watched my friends using their cricuts at crops, and that didn't appeal to me much. I'm super excited to use my slice, though. I'm not sure why I prefer one over the other, I just do. Well, I will say I like that the slice sits on top of my project, rather than feeding it into the machine. And I like how small it is...that I won't have this huge machine sitting in front of me.
The only thing I can think of that you can do on a cricut that I wish the slice can do is cut more than one letter at a time. I like the idea of typing in a word on the cricut and printing it out. The slice won't do that. One letter at a time. But, after weighing the pros and cons, I think I can deal with that!

The earlier demo video showed them spraying adhesive, and the later one showed the glue being spread on with a foam brush. Apparently they've changed it. She said that the adhesive doesn't stay on your project. It just holds it in place. And you don't have to reapply everytime you cut something. Just at the beginning of each session, I believe. When you're done, I think it just rubs right off of the glass.

I can't wait to get a shipping notification!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Oh, you enablers, you! I first looked at this thinking I don't need it. Then, I saw more videos of it in use, and now I think I really want one. Perhaps if I can find one at a local Michaels using my 50% off coupon I will get one before they quit accepting the coupons for them. Oh, the agony of the decision...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

NO. I am so mad at MM. This was a product all on its own, debuted a couple of years ago at CHA... with the ability to cut ANY TTF--so you could cut any font or shape, in any size that you could create on your computer--now THAT was cool, and something I would have paid their asking price for. MM saw the profitability of the Cricut and snapped it up--and now of course, it only works with their special "design cartridges."

I'm done playing that game. I'm saving up for the Silhouette or whichever one cuts any TTF, and even then, I'm not giving up my old-fashioned steel-rule dies that cut acetate, chipboard, felt, etc., besides plain ol' paper, like these electronic machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Should also say the original asking price was lower, in addition to the added functionality.

Also as an aside to other people's comments--the Cuttlebug is way more portable than the Big Shot or Big Kick (smaller footprint) and cuts all dies, including the new larger Sizzix dies. You can also use it with the older Fiskars embossing plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

To me (and this is just MY opinion) the only advantage to this is the "portability", which is not a factor for me. I would rather take that money ($150, right?) and put it towards something like the new "Gazelle" (on my Christmas "wish list" ;) ).

I have one of the original Wishblades, which I still love BUT having anything that requires "memory card" type cartridges (which I thankfully no longer need with my WB) is just an ongoing out of pocket expense. The cartridges that I purchased for my WB are now obsolete. I want something that will do it all, without additional costs!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the post, just an observation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 06:11 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default TTF

Quote:

Originally Posted by VexedAngelView Post
NO. I am so mad at MM. This was a product all on its own, debuted a couple of years ago at CHA... with the ability to cut ANY TTF--so you could cut any font or shape, in any size that you could create on your computer--now THAT was cool, and something I would have paid their asking price for. MM saw the profitability of the Cricut and snapped it up--and now of course, it only works with their special "design cartridges."

I'm done playing that game. I'm saving up for the Silhouette or whichever one cuts any TTF, and even then, I'm not giving up my old-fashioned steel-rule dies that cut acetate, chipboard, felt, etc., besides plain ol' paper, like these electronic machines.
The Cricut (all sizes) can cut any True Type font (including dingbats) with a software product called Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). This can be downloaded from their website. It's easy to use, and the customer service is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Default The Slice

My BFF bought one the other day and we played with it for the first time last night. The first few cuts were beautiful. After that, the machine would no longer 'home' -- a term they use for having the blade return to a pre-determined start position. Once this happened, all of the cuts were a mess -- all skewed and chunks cut out of them. I don't think this machine is really 'ready to go'. It's just been so long since it was first announced at CHA, so they shipped the product. We might want to wait a bit longer before investing in this....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgsilvaView Post
The Cricut (all sizes) can cut any True Type font (including dingbats) with a software product called Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). This can be downloaded from their website. It's easy to use, and the customer service is great.
Sure Cuts a Lot is not a Cricut/ProvoCraft approved product and will void the warranty if installed.

That doesn't matter to many people since the warranty only lasts a year or so anyway, so I know a lot of people have done this. I'd rather buy a machine that is upfront about cutting TTF and continues to support their product with that functionality, such as QuickCutz and the Silhouette. This link (http://www.quickutz.com/qk2/silhouette/cricut.aspx) compares the two. Depends on what is more important to you--to me it is more important to have the versatility to cut TTF with a machine whose company makes it expressly for that purpose so I don't have to monkey around with it.

And still doesn't change how mad I am with MM. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To Vexed Angel:

Definitely save up for the Silhouette!

I bought mine from QVC when it was still the Introductory Price (about $350). I got it on a 5 month payment plan AND it included a $200 download card- which I've so far only used about $30 of, so I can still get lots more Quickutz files. So the purchase was painless and I rationalize that I *really* only paid $150 for the machine.

I LOVE my Silhouette!!! I will be using some time over Thanksgiving to make vinyl clings for my classroom windows for Christmas decorations.

There are free files and inexpensive files (not from Quickutz) all over the 'net that work with the Silhouette and do NOT void your warranty. There are several groups at Yahoo for learning and getting files. I have more than 500 files already and have spent about another $30 total above the cost of the machine!

It has a learning curve for sure- NOT as easy as the Cricut for example- but the versatility and the amazing amount of things it can do compared to the Cricut make it SOOO much better as far as I am concerned. My girlfriend has the Cricut and loves the easiness of it, but she also has more than double my investment because of cartridges!

Go Silhouette- you will NOT regret it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Love my Silhouette, too.

You can get one for $199.99 at scrapbuggy.com with free shipping. The owner there is awesome. Her name is Gia.

I will say that I also have a Revolution and a Squeeze and I use all three machines for different things and different purposes. If I had to choose one, and was on a tight budget, I would get the Silhouette due to the capability of cutting any True Type Font and all my basic shapes easily without having to buy anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Awesome. All about it! Thanks, you two!!! It'll be on my list for next year.
Reply With Quote Likes