Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I need a 12 step program for my paper problem

I have become a cardstock collector, always stocking up when it goes on sale. The problem is I don't use it as quickly as I buy it. Now the same thing is happening (worse actually) with designer paper. :(

I have all of this pretty paper that I just love but am afraid to use because "what if" I need it for something and now I don't have it. I started off just buying 2 or 3 sheets but now I find myself purchasing at least 4 "just in case".

Same thing with stickers and vellum rub-offs.

Now ask me if I use the stuff. NOOOOOOO....too afraid it wont be there when I *really* need it.

I fear the hobby is the collecting part of the craft items and not the actual USE of the items. Yeah, that is what I will tell myself. ;)

Help???

I work to support my paper habit
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I used to do this too ... buy and buy and then didnt want to use it ... but you know what, that "just in case" never seemed to happen. Now I use what I have and not only do I feel a lot better about it, but it also makes me able to go buy more paper "guilt free" because I am using what I buy! I know its hard to do it, but you should! Life is to short to not use what we have ... lets use it and then buy more!!!!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

@StamperMomof4.....you are hopeless, it will not get better, you are doomed to be on A&E's Hoarders or Intervention. Right next to me.....LOLOL

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Hi, I'm Jackie and I'm addicted to paper, too. Cardstock and patterned. The thing is - I don't want to be cured of my addiction but I am willing to tone it down a little and only buy one (or two) sheets of patterned paper at a time and forget the "just in case" scenario. I gave a lot of it away last year - papers I bought thinking I had to had 10 sheets of it because it was so pretty and never even used one. So much pretty paper comes out so often, it's hard to resist!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

My name is Cindy and I'm addicted to paper, cardstock and ribbon. I have a ton of each and I still want MORE.
My new years relsoultion this year AGAIN is to use more of what I have before buying more. I think this year just might be there you I will accomplish this, and I will just keep telling myself that while opening that new box that UPS just dropped off full of pretty paper my credit card jumped out of my purse and ordered just for ME
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

LOL I just lefted a msg on my friend's phone saying my name is Margie I collect to many punches after she confessed her problem with paper. I guess I am in good company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Just use it. When it comes time that you think about using a particular piece of paper there'll be something better or nicer that you'll use instead.
I love using lots of paper and getting rid of it. It's not cheap so what is the point of it sitting on a shelf doing not much when it can be shown off in a card or other project?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Yup, I know you are not alone.
I always say I'm a craft collector and I'm collecting it so, when hell freezes over I will have something to do!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I do the same thing, those just in cases make me spend alot of money! I can't help it, I love the pretty paper in my craft closet! I have, however, given a lot of the stacks that I never use or could not find a use for to my little girls scrapbook club she participate in at school. The kids love it, and the teacher does not have to ask for money to buy the girls (and 2 boys) paper. I only did it to make more room for MORE pretty paper! (just kidding)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I feel your pain!!!!!

I don't find a lot of SU dp I like, so the few packs I have I adore!! They are so beautifu...Sweet Slumber, To The Nines, Rockability...so yes, when I've needed it I've know it will never be again, as it's retired.

It always passes my mind. Should I not be using this? What if I use it up? But I just dive in and enjoy that I have it, enjoy using it, enjoy knowing someone will get a really cool card, just enjoy it's luxury...as they are textured papers.

I'm off to use some of that To The Nines paper on a very special card for a very special person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I feel your pain also! I scope around on here for projects and ideas; love what other people are doing; shop for the supplies they use; then spend too much time on here looking at other's projects for ideas; and not enough time in my stamp room actually doing projects! Enough already..I am shutting this thing down; and actually going to craft room! lol

"LEARN FROM YESTERDAY,LIVE FOR TODAY
HOPE FOR TOMORROW"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Same same. I tried to destash and I can't, cuz I can't let go of my papers, even the ones that are 5+ years old. heee! Oh well, I could be hoarding something else, so paper isn't bad. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I used to have this problem but what really helped to motivate me to start to use it was the realization that all I was really concerned about was "what if I use up all the paper I truly love and then have nothing to replace it with?".

Once I realized that there are so, so many gorgeous papers out there just waiting for me it has gotten a lot easier to use what I have. No worries on replacement quality since so many lines are just gorgeous and now my problem is getting to try them all.

It has really helped.

Just a different perspective. I {heart} pretty papers! I could bathe in it, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem here. This site is such an enabler, with the color challenges, and designer paper oc-ordination. But I love it, but am trying to be more selective hoping that my cardstock and papers won't fade over time. I'm trying also, to be more open to people who could use a card and getting more of my cards in the mail, so using that as a
reason to maybe get more of those products used.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #15  
Duchess of CBCs

My name is Alison and apparently I am a stamp collector, paper collector, ribbon collector and dewdrop collector :rolleyes:

Last edited by newstampinaddict; 01-25-2010 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

LOL!! This thread is too funny!! Alas I too am a collector!! Paper, ribbon, punches, embellishments................................sigh . Hopeless.

My Small but Growing Gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

In used to worry about using up my pretty paper and not having it when I wanted to do something special with it, but then one day I forced my self to use a particularly favorite paper on a not for any special reason card, and I now have no problem using all of my papers. Same goes for my pretty embelishments and other things I worried about running out of. The pretty paper can't be admired sitting on a shelf hidden away with hundreds of other pretty papers. When you make a project with it, at least the paper is now visible and can make someone smile when they receive it.
Something even prettier will always come along so you might as well make room for it using up what you already have. Give it a try and you'll feel liberated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Paper is the most fun to buy! I'm just amazed at the quality and availability of paper since I started stamping in the early 90's! There is so much to choose from it's overwhelming at times! If I stacked all the paper I own, it would probably reach the ceiling! No kidding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I NEED the 12 step program...but I dont WANT one...lol
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My name is Brenda and I am addicted to: stamps, punches, paper, cardstock, ribbon, glitter and embellishments. Ok, I feel better that I admitted all that. Now if I didn't have to work I'd have more time to use all of my stash!!
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I NEED the 12 step program...but I dont WANT one...lol
blessings
LOL Too funny!!!!! AND I totally agree.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrampShopperView Post
In used to worry about using up my pretty paper and not having it when I wanted to do something special with it, but then one day I forced my self to use a particularly favorite paper on a not for any special reason card, and I now have no problem using all of my papers. Same goes for my pretty embelishments and other things I worried about running out of. The pretty paper can't be admired sitting on a shelf hidden away with hundreds of other pretty papers. When you make a project with it, at least the paper is now visible and can make someone smile when they receive it.
Something even prettier will always come along so you might as well make room for it using up what you already have. Give it a try and you'll feel liberated!
I completely agree! It is very liberating to USE our beautiful supplies. And yes, there is always something prettier coming along. Look at all the new releases at CHA to confirm it.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Repeat after me: I can use this...there will always be more.....I can use this today...there will be more tomorrow.

As recovering addict---( I have decreased my stash by abourt 10% this past year) I can attest that if you use it, there will be more....
It only hurts the first 10 or so times....and then you are on the road to recovery....I promise......besides,,,if you reduce your paper, you have more room for punches and nesties and hardware and ribbon.....LOL

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by newstampinaddictView Post
My name is Alison and apparently I am a stamp collector, paper collector, ribbon collector and dewdrop collector :rolleyes:

Are you my long-lost twin?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I think the majority of people on this site are addicted to paper (and other crafting supplies but paper is so cheap - comparatively speaking - that we all seem to buy a lot of it) I have so much paper - I do use it but I buy more than I'll ever need. I find that owning new stuff is inspirational. I still don't have the right balance between buying and using but I'm getting better at it all the time. Go ahead and cut into it. If you normally buy 4 sheets, buy 2, if you make cards go for a smaller 6X6 pad instead of that huger 12X12 pad. Don't buy it because it's new in the store/catalogue/you saw someone else use it. Buy it if it makes you think "Oh, I can make a card/page/project with that!"

Having said that, if you saw my craft room you'd think I was a hypocrite!

I think we should start a thread where you have to make a card using your oldest sheet of patterned paper...any takers? (if so, add a link to the new thread...I tend to be a thread killer so I'm not going to start one!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I am also a paper/cardstock adict. In the same time I'm an embellishement, ribbon, knitting wool and whatever craft material comes right into my eyes if it's on sale and I might use it for my different arts. I know I won't have time to use up everything in my own life but I can't help it. All those things are so attractive.
Reply With Quote Likes