Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Question i killed my Wizard

Decided to try my new Marianne butterfly die in my Wizard. First try I ran it through 4-5 times and it never cut through; it embossed beautifully but was still attached to the paper. Tried it again with and added a shim, still didn't cut through after 6 tries; added another shim and it got halfway through and jammed. I tried to unjam it the usual way but nothing worked; husband tried and after an hour decided it was hopeless. Now I'm thinking about a Sizzix Big Shot. It looks easier to use with sides that are raised to keep the plates inside. I always had a hard time with the rachet type handle of the Wizard. Need advice, will use it primarily with Nesties and I have a lot. Does it also work with thinner dies like Marianne and Memory Box andd PTI? Thanks for any help. BTW, I'm not good with machines according to DH!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to hear about your Wizard, it's like loosing a best friend. I own the Wizard and SU Big Shot. My Wizard is not being used, packed away. Personally I do not miss the Wizard and the ratchet type handle. My Big Shot is used daily and always at my crafting table. I love the simplicity of it, being able to use the machine with my left or right hand, die cuts and embossing are clean and beautiful, I use sizzix and competitor dies and embossing folders successfully with a variety of different materials (paper, material, cork, magnets, copper, aluminum, etc). I'm seriously interested in buying the Big Shot Pro because of the additional ability to use 12x12 paper. It's expensive but there are some very good sale prices out there. Because of the size and weight, it requires a permanent space. The Big Shot you can pick up and take to crops, classes, etc. The Big Shot Pro is not portable. If your friend owns a Big Shot ask if you can use hers to determine if you would want to buy one or check out local Scrapbook stores, they might have one for you to try. Diane, you are good with machines...your Wizard has alot of mileage and just wore out. Look at all the beautiful and very creative cards and projects you have created with die cutting and embossing. Have fun shopping. Blessings, Lolita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Sorry to hear about the Wizard. Did you manage to rescue the die or is that stuck in there permanently?

I can't comment on the other dies you asked about but I can tell you that the Big Shot works fine and dandy with Nesties - use mine in there all the time. I find the machine easy to use with the variety of dies I have (Nesties, Tim Holtz Alterations, Ellison Thin Cuts, Cuttlebug) as well as for texturing (Cuttlebug folders and Fiskars Texture Plates). It might take you a while to get used to the multipurpose platform with the flip out tabs if you've been used to the Wizard but the pictures printed on the different tabs are useful for figuring out what the most likely sandwich will be.

Lolita is right in saying that the Big Shot is portable but it's actually quite a weight to be hefting around, I'd think twice about taking it to a crop unless I knew it was a pretty short walk!

HTH!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Joanne, I use my scrapbooking wheel cart from Sizzix for traveling with my Big Shot and dies etc. Really makes it easy. The Big Shot would also fit in a scrapbooking cart with wheels. Have you seen the Big Shot Pro machine? On my...it is awesome...just takes my breath away. I do love my Big Shot and am setting a goal to buy the Big Shot Pro. I am seriously addicted to die cutting and embossing. It's a good thing the Big Shot is quiet. My family and 3 cockatiels would very agitated with me. Enjoy this beautiful day!!!! Lolita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #5  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Decided to try my new Marianne butterfly die in my Wizard. First try I ran it through 4-5 times and it never cut through; it embossed beautifully but was still attached to the paper. Tried it again with and added a shim, still didn't cut through after 6 tries; added another shim and it got halfway through and jammed. I tried to unjam it the usual way but nothing worked; husband tried and after an hour decided it was hopeless. Now I'm thinking about a Sizzix Big Shot. It looks easier to use with sides that are raised to keep the plates inside. I always had a hard time with the rachet type handle of the Wizard. Need advice, will use it primarily with Nesties and I have a lot. Does it also work with thinner dies like Marianne and Memory Box andd PTI? Thanks for any help. BTW, I'm not good with machines according to DH!
I don't know about Marianne or Memory Box, but I have used nesties & PTI dies in my big shot with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

You should contact Spellbinder Customer Service to help you get your machine "unstuck"! Did your hubby take the ratchet handle off all the way? Sometimes that can help get everything "unstuck" (don't ask how I know :lol

When the bigger Grand Calibur was released by Spellbinders, I just had to have it. No more ratchet handle and the plates are 8 x 11" plus I just love it. I have used thin dies from PTI and MFT with great success in my Grand Calibur.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default I enjoy using the CB with the nesties dies......

but use the BS with the small/med/large dies from Sizzix. The reason I don't want to give up my BS is that I love the fact you can cut several pieces of papers using the Sizzix dies (not the nesties, though).

HTH..

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh no Diane..that is awful...have you tried the Marianne dies with the metal plate? There is a thin metal plate that is great with these dies...may really cut down on how many passes to cut the images out...just a thought...very sorry your wizard is stuck...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

@Angelnorth, unless I can get the Wizard unstuck, looks like I've lost my Marianne die. I'm more upset about that than the Wizard! I don't go to crops so if I get the Big Shot it will stay put. I'm thinking I will like the handle a lot better than the rachet. I always had a problem with the Wizard so maybe this isn't the worst thing that could have happened. @debbiemom23cs - thanks for the info on removing the handle, will try that next. @sprtchick - I'll have to get that metal plate and another butterfly die - I ordered the die from you and this was my first time using it - not fair!! Thanks everyone for all the advice. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Killed Wizard update - @debbiemom23cs we took the handle completely off and were able to unjam the Wizard. Not sure if it will be put back together. @Angelnorth we were able to rescue the Marianne die and that really pleased me. I went to Michaels's and got a Big Kick at 40% off and now need to practice using it. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Diane....please tell me which die it was...If I can help I will.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

...we were able to rescue the Marianne die and that really pleased me.
That's great! My Big Shot died a while back (Ellison replaced it with no quibbles - great customer service from them) and I was more upset about potentially losing one of a set of Nesties than the machine itself! I eventually managed to rescue mine too so I know what a relief that is!

Have fun getting to know your new Big Kick!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Killed Wizard update - @debbiemom23cs we took the handle completely off and were able to unjam the Wizard. Not sure if it will be put back together. @Angelnorth we were able to rescue the Marianne die and that really pleased me. I went to Michaels's and got a Big Kick at 40% off and now need to practice using it. Diane
I'm glad that worked to get your die out. You should be able to reattach the handle and everything should work. The Wizard is a pretty tough machine. It would be good to keep for a back-up, maybe?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I have no experience with the Big Shot, but I own both the old Wizard and the GC. I love the GC. It is easier to use. Once I jammed the older one, and ruined the screw trying to disengage the handle (which was the booklet suggestion for unjamming), With my husband's help we contacted Wizard. They helped (at no cost) by sending a new screw for the handle. My husband had managed to free the die, previously.
Just last week I misloaded the old Wizard with too thick a sandwich, and again did some damage to that same screw. Their instructions to just loosen it to back out the sandwich do not seem to solve the problem. Since I am planning to take my older Wizard to Florida. I will probably contact the company again. Right now the machine is working but I am leary. I think there is a customer service email address, either on line or right in the manual. Can't check manual-it is packed. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes