Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for the Coloring Impaired

I've always loved to color - crayons and coloring books were my thing...I thought I knew how to color even though I am FAR from an artist. Once I got into stamping I realized my colored images always seemd drab. I figured it MUST be my tools and NOT ME....So I started off buying some basic markers, then I went to SU crayons, SU Colored Pencils, Chalks, Prisma Markers, and now Prisma Pencils and still I have yet to master the art of coloring. I now realize I'm coloring challenged...It's so sad.

Does ANYONE out there have a great site to get some coloring tips? I've looked around but most of the posts I've seen are a bit more advanced than where I'm at.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can relate to your post. I also love to color and always have, since I was a little girl.

First, I've decided NOT to compare what I do to others' creations. The only person I am in competition with is myself. I hope to improve as I go along.

The cards I make are sent to friends and relatives. These folks are not crafty and are impressed that I make the cards and don't buy them. So I have a good audience to start with.

My "technique" if you can call it that, is to color the image in the palest shade of the color family, then outline just inside the outside lines with the next darkest shade. Then I go over the whole thing with the lighter shade I started with. I am generally pleased with the results I get.

I use a combination of Bic Markit markers, Sharpies, and a few Copics that I purchased with coupons at Hobby Lobby in pale pastel colors. The Bics and Sharpies are pretty bright and intense, but the pale Copics tone them down.

I just did this card with a pink pig. It's not artist quality, for sure, but I think he turned out cute!

Never Try to Teach a Pig to Sing... by buggainok at Splitcoaststampers

Here is a brief little tutorial from the House Mouse site that basically uses the same technique with pencils and gamsol. You just put the pale colors on first, and outline the edges with darker colors.

http://www.house-mouse.com/php/howtocolor.php

But my best advice is don't take all this too seriously. Remember this is a hobby and hobbies are supposed to be fun!:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The technique for using Prismacolor pencils with odorless mineral spirits is called the Magic Pencil technique. Here's one video tutorial that should help, but there are many others out there. Have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSacf...eature=related
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/ Check out Marrianne's blog... Even though she is using Copic markers... there is so much to read and learning about basic coloring skills that can be applied to any marker or pencils... I highly recommend checking through her site... If you are using SU! products, their color coach can help with just putting some of the colors together, which can make a big difference....

Keep on...
Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have a tutorial on my blog for coloring with Prismacolor pencils and baby oil (instead of odorless mineral spirits - OMS). Odorless mineral spirits gave me a headache and are dangerous because it is flammable. I have tried both and I get the same results alot safer.

http://uselesscrafts.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

I place a square piece of felt into a covered container and I add several drops of baby oil to the felt. Then I dab my blending stump onto the felt to help smooth out the lines from the pencil and to shade. When you are done, just cover your container and it is ready to use for later on.

I just love to color too! I actually have taught this class three times at my local scrapbook store and it was a hit every time! I have not got into the copic craze as I am very happy with my results from using my Prismacolor pencils!

If you have more questions, please feel free to PM me.

Happy Coloring!
Reply With Quote Likes