Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 04-22-2017, 04:34 AM   #121
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf View Post
Hi Guys, I had an email response yesterday from the company I have my Tonic Platform pre ordered at. I'd e-mailed and asked if they had any new update, pending the legal challenge, and this was the reply:
"We have spoken to our supplier and they have advised that they are still waiting on the Tim Holtz stamping platform from the manufacturer which is quite normal as there can be manufacturing and transport delays which has had nothing to do with the MISTI legal challenge in the USA. Although they were expected about the 17th April there has been a slight delay and we will now see them about the 28th April. "
So it appears from that the suppliers are still intending to ship them.
Maybe they didn't get the memo? See post 57 and 84, or here's the link. Dated April 12, on Tonic's blog April 17:

https://blogtonicusa.wordpress.com/2...ping-platform/

It references the lawsuit and states they're expecting to ship in 6-8 weeks, bringing it to June, if (fingers crossed), their expectations bear out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
shazsilverwolf likes this post.
Unread 04-22-2017, 04:39 AM   #122
Pearl-ExPert

I'd seen that, which is why I asked them the question. I imagine you are right, and they haven't had the memo- guess their supplier is keeping their fingers crossed, and hasn't bothered to update them.
Unread 04-22-2017, 04:42 AM   #123
Proud Fan Club Member

Do you understand this? They are intending to ship despite the legal challenge? If it hasn't been resolved, why would they ship? Unless this is intended for non-US vendors. In the case of a loss for Tonic, wherein MSP prevailed, would the patent only affect US vendors? I know nothing about patent law.

Oh, I posted and several posts came up ahead of me. Never mind, I guess.
Unread 04-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #124
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
Do you understand this? They are intending to ship despite the legal challenge? If it hasn't been resolved, why would they ship? Unless this is intended for non-US vendors. In the case of a loss for Tonic, wherein MSP prevailed, would the patent only affect US vendors? I know nothing about patent law.

Oh, I posted and several posts came up ahead of me. Never mind, I guess.
The distributor just wasn't aware. The Platform wouldn't be manufactured or shipped until the patent issues are resolved.
Unread 04-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #125
Mad Swapper

My husbands uncle patented a medical device in 102 countries. I heard more about patents and all the different types..... as they are not under one blanket.

So sometime way back when someone suggested to me that I should patent an idea I said " no thanks" because I remembered what uncle said.lol
Unread 04-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #126
Pearl-ExPert

Depending on when your husband's uncle filed, much more information may be more easily available now (Internet), rules have changed over time, and so much is done electronically, plus you can file in multiple countries. You meaning your lawyers. : ) I'd be surprised if MSP didn't file to include similar devices being sold in the UK since the UK is a "contracting state" of the Patent Cooperation Treaty. (Boy that sounded dry. I'll stop now.)
Unread 04-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #127
Proud Fan Club Member

bjeans, are you saying that the Tonic may be banned here but not in other countries unless a patent infringement suit is filed in those countries specifically?
Unread 04-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #128
Pearl-ExPert

I have no idea, given that Tonic is a U.S. company.

I think filing can be done simultaneously (in most cases?) in those countries that are "contracting states," but does need to be done. But even if successful, I wonder how difficult it would be to go after companies in other countries. I'd guess you'd need deep pockets for lots of attorney involvement. : )
Unread 04-22-2017, 08:12 AM   #129
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm not concerned about other versions made in other countries. Just whether the Tonic could lose its case against MSP and vendors outside the US would still be able to order from them and sell it there.

I guess all of this will be cleared up soon enough. Not soon enough for me (who would like it to be resolved and in Tonic's favor today), but soon enough in the larger picture.
Paula in GA and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 04-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #130
Pearl-ExPert

I hear you - me too. If Tim and Tonic lost, since they're a U.S. company, I don't know if they could sell it in other countries or not.
Unread 04-22-2017, 02:58 PM   #131
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
I hear you - me too. If Tim and Tonic lost, since they're a U.S. company, I don't know if they could sell it in other countries or not.
I could be wrong - and please, someone let me know if I am - but I think Tonic Studios is actually a UK-based company with a site here in the states. I'm wondering if that would help them sell the platform in other countries.

I found this incorporation document online when I googled 'history of tonic studios':
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/d...HUEo46jvxwU%3D
shazsilverwolf and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 04-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #132
Mad Swapper

Default Have you seen Tim Holtz Stamp Positioner

Quote:
Depending on when your husband's uncle filed, much more information may be more easily available now (Internet), rules have changed over time, and so much is done electronically, plus you can file in multiple countries. You meaning your lawyers. : ) I'd be surprised if MSP didn't file to include similar devices being sold in the UK since the UK is a "contracting state" of the Patent Cooperation Treaty. (Boy that sounded dry. I'll stop now.)
He successfully patented his device so he knew a lot about the process. I am sure many things have changed. Still I don't think many realize it is not a quick and easy process even now......not a slam dunk so to speak.
I am only guessing, As the Misti has been on the market for some time and I would think if the patent had been granted prior to marketing we would not be having this discussion. It will be interesting to see what developes and what changes To the Tonic product will have to be made.
Unread 04-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #133
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada goose View Post
He successfully patented his device so he knew a lot about the process. I am sure many things have changed. Still I don't think many realize it is not a quick and easy process even now......not a slam dunk so to speak.
I am only guessing, As the Misti has been on the market for some time and I would think if the patent had been granted prior to marketing we would not be having this discussion. It will be interesting to see what developes and what changes To the Tonic product will have to be made.
It's a long and complicated process. But that's what IP and patent attorneys are for. : ) Even trademarking my business name took time and effort, and that was simple.

Do you mean if the Tonic Stamp Platform patent had been granted? I think it would have been challenged, but a different conversation would be taking place.
Unread 04-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #134
Matboard Maniac

This has been in interesting thread. I have been out of the loop on stamping tools since I seldom stamp, but someone told me about these positioners and I love the idea of them. After watching multiple videos on all the available ones (or NOT...due to legal issues), I am waiting for the TH one. Can't wait.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 04-23-2017, 07:54 AM   #135
Mad Swapper

Default Have you seen Tim Holtz stamp positioner

Quote:
It's a long and complicated process. But that's what IP and patent attorneys are for. : ) Even trademarking my business name took time and effort, and that was simple.

Do you mean if the Tonic Stamp Platform patent had been granted? I think it would have been challenged, but a different conversation would be taking place.
No, I mean if Illiana had protected the Misti with a patent prior to putting it on the market. Perhaps there would not have been a Tonic or at least a different version, which I understand they are making changes to it now.

It's hard to know her reasoning for doing what she did, or what advice she got prior to starting to promote and sell.

I was wondering if she ever imagined how well the Misti would go over. I bet if she reads these discussions,she is shaking her head and thinking" if you ladies only knew" lol.
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #136
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada goose View Post
No, I mean if Illiana had protected the Misti with a patent prior to putting it on the market. Perhaps there would not have been a Tonic or at least a different version, which I understand they are making changes to it now.

It's hard to know her reasoning for doing what she did, or what advice she got prior to starting to promote and sell.

I was wondering if she ever imagined how well the Misti would go over. I bet if she reads these discussions,she is shaking her head and thinking" if you ladies only knew" lol.
Whether the Misti had been patented before it was sold or long after, I think there would have been both copies (unfair, illegal), and other stamping platforms with differences and innovations - just as there is for everything else in the marketplace.

Looking around where I'm sitting right now, I don't see one item that doesn't provide consumers choices and differences, and that isn't made by multiple manufactures: television, mail sorting box, cabinets, folders, pens, pads, eye glasses, radio, flip flops on my feet (mine have a bottle opener embedded in the bottom - now there's innovation), bird feeders on the deck, and so on.

And who's to say stamping platforms, including the Misti, aren't an innovation from something that came earlier - like the WRMK Letterpress? Stampers have been using that for stamping for years. That's not a criticism; there's virtually nothing invented these days in a vacuum.

I think it's fairly well understood that manufacturing an item and bringing it to market is a highly complex, laborious process. And there's always competition sooner or later, for anything.

Just my take. YMMV.
MSBetsyZ, buggainok, michelleh1 and 2 others like this post.
Unread 04-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #137
Mad Swapper

I agree.
Unread 04-24-2017, 05:13 AM   #138
Glitter Queen

For those in the UK. I pre-ordered the Tonic Studios Tim Holtz Stamp Platform in February. The supplier has now mailed the first batch of pre-orders and it should arrive with me today or tomorrow.
Unread 04-24-2017, 05:28 AM   #139
Proud Fan Club Member

So why is it available in UK now?

I wonder if you will get 1708 (the original) or 1707 (the "tweaked" one).
Unread 04-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #140
Glitter Queen

It's listed as 1708e on the website of the company I purchased it from.
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 04-24-2017, 05:48 AM   #141
Proud Fan Club Member

That's the original. But it doesn't mean anything. Simon Says Stamp only recently changed the number of theirs to the "new" version and the picture hasn't changed as far as I can tell.

Keep us posted on what model you get and how you like it.
Unread 04-24-2017, 05:51 AM   #142
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Keep us posted on what model you get and how you like it.
I will.
Unread 04-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #143
Matboard Maniac

No way!Congratulations , UK, on the celebration of Queen Elizabeth II's ninety-first birthday.
Unread 04-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #144
Matboard Maniac

We expect a full report on your UK Platform so we can experience its use vicariously. I noticed in the suit filing that Tonic has until April 26? to make their reply.

Last edited by loyce; 04-24-2017 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: poor punctuation
Unread 04-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #145
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Ladies, just a quick update. Just this minute received an e-mail from the place I pre ordered my stamping Platform from,(UK company) to say it's been dispatched! So, it should be in my hot sticky hands in the next few days.
Looks like the Patent case has been cleared for it, so if you've pre ordered anywhere, I'd say you can expect yours soon too.
Unread 04-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #146
Matboard Maniac

Can this be good news for us Yanks too? I believe yesterday was the day that Tonic was required to answer the suit against them.
Unread 04-27-2017, 09:48 AM   #147
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:
Would love to know what they are changing. The picture on SSS seems to be the original version.
Has anyone heard any update on what the difference between the 1708e and 1707e versions will be? I thought it strange that they are going back a number instead of forward - - most new versions of items go up in number, not down. That is immaterial, probably, but it caught my attention.

Of all the stamp positioners out there, I thought Tim Holtz's/Tonic's would be the one least likely to be in violation of patent since you have to physically lift/turn/replace the top, but I'm no expert.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Unread 04-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #148
Matboard Maniac

Shazsilverwolf, congratulations! That's what I should have said earlier. You may be the first that can report on the Tonic Stamping . You know that we can't wait to hear more from you. Any sign of the post yet today?
Unread 04-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #149
Proud Fan Club Member

Where did you see that the patent case was cleared, Shaz?

Oh Yay.
Unread 04-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #150
Pearl-ExPert

Robin, I didn't see it anywhere, I was just guessing as the stock has clearly been shipped from the USA supplier, if my British store has mailed mine out.
No sign of it yet ladies, possibly tomorrow, and Monday is May Day Bank Holiday here, so if not tomorrow, then it will be Tuesday. Oh, darn! I just realised, I have a CT scan tomorrow morning, which means even if my postie does turn up with it, I won't be in. So it will be collect from the sorting office Tuesday at the earliest.
Unread 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM   #151
Proud Fan Club Member

I have not heard a thing about my pre-order. And the description on the Simon Says Stamp website has not changed - still the same red addendum about the delay due to "improvements."
Unread 04-28-2017, 11:08 AM   #152
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

Hopefully come next Tuesday, we will have a review.
Unread 04-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #153
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiejolly View Post
For those in the UK. I pre-ordered the Tonic Studios Tim Holtz Stamp Platform in February. The supplier has now mailed the first batch of pre-orders and it should arrive with me today or tomorrow.
Unfortunately, this was said in error and the stamping press had not been sent out. However, it has now definitely been sent out and I am keeping my fingers' crossed that it will arrive today.

My supplier confirmed that the patent issues are US only which is why those in the UK are getting theirs. I expect we will be getting the original version but will confirm.

I have nothing against the MISTI, it just isn't suitable for my stamping needs and the Tonic one looks like it will be so I am happy to have been able to purchase it.
Unread 04-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #154
Pearl-ExPert

Hi again ladies, and here it is, straight out of the hands of the Postie!

It comes well packaged- the first box you see was inside a strong brown cardboard box, then an outer sleeve that is plastic wrapped. Foam above and below the platform too. Very happy with the packaging, highly unlikely to suffer damage in the postal system.
Now to play, and see how I like it. Results later. Instead of a load of photos here, I'll do a blog post and post the link here, so you can see the unboxing, and how it works.
Just looked all over, and there is no number on the product, but the invoice says 1708E.
dini, PikkuLilla and Kathryn F like this post.
Unread 04-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #155
Matboard Maniac

Isn't that splendid! Good luck on the CT today. We will await your blogpost. Congratulations on the successful receipt of you Tonic Stamp Platform. Huzzah.
Unread 04-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #156
Pearl-ExPert

OK, ladies, here you are. An unboxing and try out post on my blog

Quick verdict- I love it! The quality is fantastic, and it works like a dream.
dini, TeeGeeDee, Paula in GA and 11 others like this post.
Unread 04-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #157
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Thanks for the link to your blog and your review. Hopefully, things will get resolved here in the US so we can get one too.
buggainok, shazsilverwolf and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 04-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #158
Polyshrink Goddess

OK I'm sold. I've officially switched positions. Quite a bit of innovation here. Thanks for this thorough review.
Unread 04-29-2017, 02:43 PM   #159
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Shaz,

Thank you so much for your detailed, and well thought out, post/review. The only thing I was concerned about with the Platform was the hinges breaking - had NO idea the bar and the hinges were metal. I should've known TH would think of everything, lol. If things don't work out well here in the States I predict the stores overseas will be getting a lot of international business.

Prayers and happy thoughts are being sent your way!
fifi
Unread 04-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #160
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I saw your blog post earlier and thought it was a great review. Thanks for sharing!

I design for Just for Fun Rubber stamps.