Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 07-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #601
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbet View Post
MsBetsy - do you have any of the old Just Rite stamps? I'm trying to find out if those letters fit in the grooves of the WRMK plate. Because if they do, I'll be ordering another stamping platform, and then I'll be lobbying WRMK to make spare lettering plates available

I have 3 or 4 of the Just Rite font sets, and I can absolutely see myself setting up a plate for return address stamping that I don't ever have to remove the letters from.
Oh, good idea! Yes, I do have some; I'll check this afternoon.

SCS Gallery * My SU Website
It isn't hoarding if your stuff is cool...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 07-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #602
Kookie Creator

I'm noticing that on the pics of the new model the black ruler(s) stops short on the top right side and on the left bottom also. On my UK one the black part extends further in these areas. It makes no difference since there are no markings on the black tail ends anyway. I'm going to stop now.
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 07-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #603
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post
I'm noticing that on the pics of the new model the black ruler(s) stops short on the top right side and on the left bottom also. On my UK one the black part extends further in these areas. It makes no difference since there are no markings on the black tail ends anyway. I'm going to stop now.
Did you walk off the urge for the WRMK Precision Press bundle with 20% off (if the coupon works for everyone, and if not, get on their mailing list for a day), and $5.00 shipping?

(What is it about platforms?)
Unread 07-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #604
Mad Swapper

I posted waaay back that the tweaks can be very minor in order to be accepted as not violating the patent. While I chose the WRMK, I always thought that both Tonic and WRMK were reputable companies with great product, and would not have spent time and money on their versions if they did not think they would eventually prevail with their own version.
Paula in GA likes this post.
Unread 07-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #605
Pearl-ExPert

It's still unknown how it will turn out; the lawsuit is ongoing with activity around 7/5, though I haven't looked in the last week or so. I think it would be unlikely Tonic will lose if it actually goes to trial but you never know.

I agree it's a great product! And the WRMK one is on the way. : )
MSBetsyZ and fifiwesfan like this post.
Unread 07-14-2017, 01:56 PM   #606
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
It's still unknown how it will turn out; the lawsuit is ongoing with activity around 7/5, though I haven't looked in the last week or so. I think it would be unlikely Tonic will lose if it actually goes to trial but you never know.

I agree it's a great product! And the WRMK one is on the way. : )
I just looked...
-June 21 -- Tonic filed a Motion to Dismiss
-July 5 -- MSP filed an Answering Brief on the Motion to Dismiss
-July 12 -- Tonic filed an Reply Brief on the Motion to Dismiss

I'm pretty sure that since the Platforms are being sent to the pre-orders in the US the lawsuit may over/settled.
pepperann likes this post.
Unread 07-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #607
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnistew View Post
I just looked...
-June 21 -- Tonic filed a Motion to Dismiss
-July 5 -- MSP filed an Answering Brief on the Motion to Dismiss
-July 12 -- Tonic filed an Reply Brief on the Motion to Dismiss

I'm pretty sure that since the Platforms are being sent to the pre-orders in the US the lawsuit may over/settled.
If it was settled (no trial) that would be in the public record. Given that two days ago Tonic was continuing to respond to the opposing party on the motion to dismiss the lawsuit that Tonic originated (it's gone back and forth), that also shows it hasn't settled. (You can read the documents.)
Could settlement be in the works? Maybe, but we can't know. Or maybe it will go to trial, though that's less common. There were motions about change of venue.

There was never an injunction against Tonic to stop manufacturing or distribution, so they could do whatever they wanted. They slowed down and tweaked, and then went forward - in spite of the law suit - as many companies would.

Businesses don't/can't necessarily stop plans or progress just because they're being sued. If that's all it took to stop a business there'd be even more lawsuits - and the death of even more small businesses. In that case all it would take is one company to sue another company, knowing that other company would stop making/providing services/etc.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-14-2017 at 02:37 PM..
Paula in GA and Cinnistew like this post.
Unread 07-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #608
Glitter Queen

Default Got it!!

well at least I ordered it!!! I ordered it from scrapbook.com. It was $36.99!!
pepperann and bjeans like this post.
Unread 07-14-2017, 07:17 PM   #609
Matboard Maniac

I ordered mine from Scrapbook.com on Tuesday, and it's on board for delivery tomorrow...Saturday!! That's going to be a good day 'cause my SU Paper Pumpkin is set to be delivered too! Look out Mailman!!!

bjeans likes this post.
Unread 07-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #610
Kookie Creator

Sounds like no matter what, in the meantime Tonic is going to be making a few bucks on the 1707e. What's the worst that could happen to Tonic if a jury finds in favor of MSP?

Oh and by the way bjeans, you're willing me with this WRMK thing. I'm weakening, haha.
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 07-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #611
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryalena View Post
Sounds like no matter what, in the meantime Tonic is going to be making a few bucks on the 1707e. What's the worst that could happen to Tonic if a jury finds in favor of MSP?

Oh and by the way bjeans, you're willing me with this WRMK thing. I'm weakening, haha.
Hmm, willing you or killing you? I'm not sure if the coupon is still good, so maybe you'd want to check.

If it went to trial and Tonic lost, there would be a calculation of damages based on profits MSP would have made, or on market based profits, etc.

Or there could still be a settlement even if the case went to trial, which is very common. Hypothetically that could include the Tim platform not being sold any more, or even a licensing agreement where some percentage of profits from future sales went to the opposition. There are all kinds of settlement permutations hammered out.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-16-2017 at 03:57 AM..
maryalena likes this post.
Unread 07-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #612
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the informed answer bjeans. Hope Tonic will have some version of these for a long time to come. I've found myself rooting for them.
Cinnistew and bjeans like this post.
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #613
Mad Swapper

I see it is available in Canada for $55 cdn.
Unread 07-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #614
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't know whether or not to be surprised that Tim has not done a Facebook live event on the platform, now that it is shipping. I kept thinking he would bring it out the other day, but no, just the holiday releases.
Unread 07-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #615
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
I don't know whether or not to be surprised that Tim has not done a Facebook live event on the platform, now that it is shipping. I kept thinking he would bring it out the other day, but no, just the holiday releases.
Since the lawsuit is still pending, I'm wondering its one of those keep-your-head-down-and-don't-discuss-until-the-lawyers-give-the-all-clear type of thing.

Or maybe he's taking the high road or letting the product speak for itself.
Gdoreen and maryalena like this post.
Unread 07-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #616
Embossing Fanatic

As well as the patent case, it makes sense not to promote them while they are in short supply, but rather to discuss and demonstrate products that people can easily buy. For example a seller here in Australia advised that she was expecting to ship her initial pre-ordered ones soon, and was re-opening preorder as she was ordering another batch of them. You can't just buy one, you have to wait.
Gdoreen, maryalena and bjeans like this post.
Unread 07-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #617
Glitter Queen

There are def. the 2 noticeable differences (the grey corner where the rulers no longer meet, and the side guards no longer connecting in that same corner). Can't tell if the ruler is recessed or not. Might just look different as before it was continuous all the way around but now it stops.

I would actually support MISTI for any lawsuit against Hampton Arts, Stampaholic or the other direct copies. The only difference in the HA one is it's slightly smaller. The stampaholic is identical apart from different colour - even though it originally came out in pink too!
I think Iliana would find many people would support her in those suits but by going against any other stamp press, regardless of major differences in design, she has made many people have ill feelings towards her and her company.
Gdoreen, maryalena, dapperdoxie and 2 others like this post.
Unread 07-16-2017, 04:06 AM   #618
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efromhawaii View Post
Can't comment on what the tweak was since I'm not familiar with the original platform. But, yes, the two rulers are not connected.

erin
But are they raise up to the same level as the "walls" that the top of the platform rests against or are they recessed into the base of the platform?
Unread 07-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #619
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
But are they raise up to the same level as the "walls" that the top of the platform rests against or are they recessed into the base of the platform?

Definitely not the same height as the walls of the platform. The rulers are inlaid and have the just the tiniest bit of rise to them so that they are not completely flush with the platform.

erin
Unread 07-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #620
Proud Fan Club Member

That's what I was told. The rulers on mine are part of the "walls". They are raised. And they meet at the corner.

Those are the tweaks - the rulers not meeting and the ruler embedded in the platform.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 07-16-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Unread 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM   #621
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=bjeans;21498947
If it went to trial and Tonic lost, there would be a calculation of damages based on profits MSP would have made, or on market based profits, etc.
.[/QUOTE]

Well, they wouldn't have made any profit on me! I passed on the MISTI long before the TH platform was released. My decision was based on the negative reviews on the MISTI that I read right here on SCS. For the high cost I would have expected better than the poor quality I had read about. If Tonic didn't come out with a platform I would just continue to use my trusty SAMJ!
cbet and michelleh1 like this post.
Unread 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #622
Pearl-ExPert

To be fair, the majority of comments about the Misti have been positive, including by some who have purchased the Tonic.
Unread 07-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #623
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:
To be fair, the majority of comments about the Misti have been positive, including by some who have purchased the Tonic.
Of course there are many positive reviews. This was my opinion only. I know myself and for the high cost of the MISTI, I didn't want to worry that I would be unhappy with my purchase due to a cracked screen or those pesky magnets. It would irritate me to have to buy the better magnets on Amazon or the like for an additional expense! Who knows if the Tonic will have some issues? It is important to me that a company stands behind its products, which was another disappointment with some of the MISTi reviewers. I just would not spend all that money for what I read here was a flimsy product. Any of these platforms are a splurge for me so I based my decision on the experience of the stampers here and my familiarity with the Tonic brand. In the unlikely event that Tonic would have to pay damages to MISTI for loss of sales, in my case it would be a shame to consider my Tonic purchase to have hurt MISTI's bottom line, because I never would have purchased that one anyway! And again, we are just speculating about the outcome here!
Unread 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #624
Kookie Creator

My Regular sized Misti was replaced at no charge after sending an email with a photo attached. That was my only customer interaction with MSP and both the replacement and my mini are holding up well. Now that I have had my Tonic a few weeks I find that I use my mini Misti and the Tonic with about the same frequency. To me they are quite different products that both produce good results. i will be interested to hear what people who have both products reach for the most as the newness of the Tonic wears off.
Hoboken Paper likes this post.
Unread 07-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #625
Proud Fan Club Member

I have to say that, so far, I have not used my Misti since getting my Tonic. But I have the regular size. I don't know if it would be any different if I had the mini. The Misti feels constrained to me as compared to the Tonic.

But I am not ruling out discovering a situation where I would prefer the Misti or need the Misti. (Working on two projects at once?) I will be keeping both.
Hoboken Paper likes this post.
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #626
Kookie Creator

Two projects or a step project definitely. I have stopped using my regular Misti also but I'm keeping it.
Unread 07-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #627
Glitter Queen

Default Just got Mine!!!

I just got this item. I do not have any background with the Misti although it appears to be a good tool as well. This, however, is my first tool of this sort.
My question is this- I have some stamps that I want to use- the reason I got this item in the first place...they are mounted on wood.
I was so excited at the prospect of having some treasured stamps actually work, I missed the fact that they are on wood and will have to be modified.
I have no experience with this. I have read several threads and watched some You Tube videos.
Does anyone have any advice that is specific to my project - ie- making these stamps specifically Tim Holtz platform friendly?
I have read Gregsgurl posts and found them to be helpful. I am just scred to start- AND I have no cling foam or whatever that is- in case I need this to make my rubber stamps work. I have projects stacking up....Can someone give me some pertinent advice? Just start peeling? ewww makes me nervous! OK thanks in advance !
[/I]
Unread 07-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #628
Pearl-ExPert

You'll be fine! : ) I like mounting rubber stamps on EZMount rather than using bare rubber with some adhesive, and others like bare rubber. There are a couple of great threads that you can read so you can decide which is best for you. Or maybe you'll try both and then decide. Hopefully someone can post them or I'll be able to find them later.

Some people freeze their stamps in order to easily peel off the rubber; others put them in a microwave for about 20 seconds, which is what I did.

And to mount them, I basically use the method in this youtube video, though I used cornstarch baby powder.
lesliespringer and artandartifacts like this post.
Unread 07-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #629
Glitter Queen

Default Just start Peeling....;)

Thank you BJeans. It sounds like I just start peeling. I have watche dsome videos- will watch the one you shared and just go for it! I was just scared to start- I have so much invested in this project, I was hoping for advice that would warn me of possible pitfalls I hadn't thought of yet...Sounds like it is just go for it!
I am excited. Thanks again. I can search out the other stuff- just needed someone to tell me it would be fine...
[/I]
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #630
Matboard Maniac

Sigh. I'm still waiting for my Platform. I pre-ordered (late) from Marco when I pre-ordered the new Oxides.

“Some daaayy my prince Tonic will come…”
Unread 07-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #631
Glitter Queen

I ordered mine from Scrapbook dot com. Was on waiting list and it only took a short time....
[/I]

Last edited by artandartifacts; 07-18-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Unread 07-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #632
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via AIM to kyann22

Blitsy has them in stock. Or did. Plus free shipping! I ordered mine this morning.
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 07-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #633
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Got the phone call today from my LSS. I get to pick up the TH stamp positioner tomorrow!

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
bjeans and bzzzeee like this post.
Unread 07-18-2017, 02:39 PM   #634
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:
You'll be fine! : ) I like mounting rubber stamps on EZMount rather than using bare rubber with some adhesive, and others like bare rubber. There are a couple of great threads that you can read so you can decide which is best for you. Or maybe you'll try both and then decide. Hopefully someone can post them or I'll be able to find them later.

Some people freeze their stamps in order to easily peel off the rubber; others put them in a microwave for about 20 seconds, which is what I did.

And to mount them, I basically use the method in this youtube video, though I used cornstarch baby powder.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OEbCdqxuaTo

Thanks for the video, never knew about using powder. I will try it next time!

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Unread 07-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #635
Inking Addict

Leslie Woo Hoo!! LOL We will be waiting for your excitement
Sherri L

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
Gotthe phone call today from my LSS. I get to pick up the TH stamp positioner tomorrow!
lesliespringer likes this post.
Unread 07-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #636
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliespringer View Post
Got the phone call today from my LSS. I get to pick up the TH stamp positioner tomorrow!
How fun, Leslie! Let us know what you think! I am waiting on mine...I did pre-order but did so late in the game. Maybe it is just as well since I am super busy for the next few weeks taking care of urgent medical procedures for aging parents. I do love to check in and read the latest news, though! It's been fun sharing in everyone's excitement!
lesliespringer likes this post.
Unread 07-18-2017, 04:34 PM   #637
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiwesfan View Post
Sigh. I'm still waiting for my Platform. I pre-ordered (late) from Marco when I pre-ordered the new Oxides.

“Some daaayy my prince Tonic will come…”
Same here, only I wish I had ordered some of the oxides. Instead, I ordered a tin to hold my small collection of distress cubes. Hope you get your platform soon!
fifiwesfan likes this post.
Unread 07-18-2017, 09:37 PM   #638
Kookie Creator

Does anyone know if the platform will make it to the box stores so that we can use a coupon? I can be patient if I know that it's coming, however, I don't want to miss out on getting one if something happens with the lawsuit.
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:46 AM   #639
Embossing Fanatic

Hi bzzzeee, those tins are great but mine flew open once when I knocked it off the table. You might want to put some elastic around it if you do that sort if thing.

Last edited by AussieJenny; 07-19-2017 at 02:26 AM..
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #640
Stazon Splitcoast

In my hot little hands!! But can't play yet
jukie, dapperdoxie and bzzzeee like this post.