Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 AM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

I did it! I ordered the 16" with the Edgelight. Free shipping code from Bonnie's Best facebook page. Ordered yesterday, shipped today! So I will have it in time to prep for my next Christmas Card class. I'm so excited!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #42
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinCPA View Post
I did it! I ordered the 16" with the Edgelight. Free shipping code from Bonnie's Best facebook page. Ordered yesterday, shipped today! So I will have it in time to prep for my next Christmas Card class. I'm so excited!
YAY!!! It's great that you got in on the free shipping deal. You'll have to come back here and post once you've had a chance to try it.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #43
Rubber Obsessor

Yay for You!

I want one as well but they don't ship to Canada.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheabella View Post
Yay for You!

I want one as well but they don't ship to Canada.
I can't believe they don't ship to Canada. I had to go check it out and here is what the website says:

"Because our local post office is severely understaffed, and service lines are quite long, we are not able to ship internationally at this time."

Bonnie, if you are reading this, why not charge a little extra and ship at least to Canada. You can pay someone to stand in line at the post office. I'm from Canada originally and I would be very sad if I couldn't get one in Canada.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #45
Rubber Obsessor

Default We DO ship to Canada!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier! We DO ship Genesis Trimmers to Canada -- just not all of our other products. Our shopping cart doesn't figure international shipping, so just shoot us an e-mail with which trimmer you want (and light or not) and we'll get back to you with the shipping total. E-mail address is Bonnie (at) bonniesbest (dot) com.
Bonnie
Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofTools View Post
Sorry I didn't see this earlier! We DO ship Genesis Trimmers to Canada -- just not all of our other products. Our shopping cart doesn't figure international shipping, so just shoot us an e-mail with which trimmer you want (and light or not) and we'll get back to you with the shipping total. E-mail address is Bonnie (at) bonniesbest (dot) com.
Bonnie
Yay Bonnie!! That's great news!! Is there a note about this on the Genesis page somewhere or on your shipping page?
Old 09-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #47
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofTools View Post
Bonnie

Oh! So happy!!

I'll pass the info on to my husband. I am hoping that my family will donate money towards the purchase at Christmas instead of wondering what I want. Hope you hear from him.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #48

Quote:

Oh! So happy!!

I'll pass the info on to my husband. I am hoping that my family will donate money towards the purchase at Christmas instead of wondering what I want. Hope you hear from him.
That would be an awesome Christmas gift. Originally, I wanted mine as a Christmas gift, but dh forgot that I wanted one and I assumed that the waiting list was such that it just didn't arrive for Christmas. It was a few months after Christmas when I finally asked him how long the waiting list was and he said "huh?" He felt bad and he told me to put my name on the waiting list right away. I didn't get mine until a year and a half later (that was before Bonnie manufactured them, there is no wait list now). So just a word to the wise, make sure your hubby knows you want this and don't be afraid to subtly or not so subtly remind him.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #49
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbee View Post
YAY!!! It's great that you got in on the free shipping deal. You'll have to come back here and post once you've had a chance to try it.
I had a Stamp-A-Stack this weekend and here is my review:

Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #50

Quote:
I had a Stamp-A-Stack this weekend and here is my review:

Hi Debbi,

I'm glad you love it. One of your concerns was how it would handle all the cutting you had to do for your stamp-a-stacks. How did it go? Did it take you much longer? Were your cuts better than before? Just curious.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Brenda, I don't really think it took much longer than before because I always had to do many passes to cut the stack with old cutter. And ALL of my cuts were straight on the Genesis! I can trim skinny little bits off a piece and still be straight, and then I have fun little curliques to do something with. It was so easy to use. I'm glad I splurged.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #52
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
That would be an awesome Christmas gift. Originally, I wanted mine as a Christmas gift, but dh forgot that I wanted one and I assumed that the waiting list was such that it just didn't arrive for Christmas. It was a few months after Christmas when I finally asked him how long the waiting list was and he said "huh?" He felt bad and he told me to put my name on the waiting list right away. I didn't get mine until a year and a half later (that was before Bonnie manufactured them, there is no wait list now). So just a word to the wise, make sure your hubby knows you want this and don't be afraid to subtly or not so subtly remind him.
So I showed your post to my husband. His response was "What??! He forgot? Oh no, that's not good!" I said " Careful Ian, you may get a lot of marriage proposals if I post this!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #53

Quote:
So I showed your post to my husband. His response was "What??! He forgot? Oh no, that's not good!" I said " Careful Ian, you may get a lot of marriage proposals if I post this!
You're right!! You better hang on to him!! My dh is very generous, but is super busy and therefore forgets things easily. LOL!! So what did your dh say? Might you be getting a Genesis for Christmas?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #54

Quote:
Brenda, I don't really think it took much longer than before because I always had to do many passes to cut the stack with old cutter. And ALL of my cuts were straight on the Genesis! I can trim skinny little bits off a piece and still be straight, and then I have fun little curliques to do something with. It was so easy to use. I'm glad I splurged.
I'm glad that you are enjoying your Genesis. I never stress about cutting card stock for my clubs and that's how I can tell that my trimmer is working well and has been for many years. I haven't had to change my blade yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #55
Creative Crew SU Design Team

How heavy is the genisis, I see that it is a little bulky but wondering if it is possible to take to crops or no?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkiemonstermom View Post
How heavy is the genisis, I see that it is a little bulky but wondering if it is possible to take to crops or no?
I have an edgelight, so I wouldn't take mine to crops or workshops. I just bought the new Stampin' Up! trimmer for that purpose. Even without the edgelight it would still be rather bulky, because it doesn't fold. The Genesis without the edgelight is not that heavy though. My Genesis has a dedicated spot (of honor) from which it never moves. In my mind, I need both because they serve different purposes. The cuts that you get on the Genesis are superior to any cutter that I have used.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #57
TTB
Rubber Obsessor

Default Transporting Genesis cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkiemonstermom View Post
I would never transport my cutter even without the edge light. The cutting wheel would need to be secured to transport because it won't stay in place. The Genesis is a stay-at-home cutter in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #58
Insane Embellisher

Santa brought me a Genesis cutter for Christmas!! Now I need a guide bar!

My Small but Growing Gallery!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #59
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargyrle55 View Post
Merry Christmas to you, indeed enjoy!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #60
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Yay for you!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #61
Creative Crew SU Design Team

I ordered mine in November, I did take it to a big retreat for four days. I loved it!!!! I truely can say it was worth the money! I don't think I will take it with me often, I agree it is a more at home cutter.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #62
Gallery Gazer

I have finally decided that it is time to get a Genesis. Now I'm trying to figure out if I have enough room on the cabinet where I do my cutting. I checked the website and there was no indication of the size of the footprint of each if the models.
Does anyone know the exact outside measurements of he 16" model with the light and the outside measurements of the 12" model without the light? Also, is there any chance that I would be able find a used 12" model with the light?
And how does one know when free shipping is offered?
So many questions, hopefully someone will have some answers.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I have finally decided that it is time to get a Genesis. Now I'm trying to figure out if I have enough room on the cabinet where I do my cutting. I checked the website and there was no indication of the size of the footprint of each if the models.
Does anyone know the exact outside measurements of he 16" model with the light and the outside measurements of the 12" model without the light? Also, is there any chance that I would be able find a used 12" model with the light?
And how does one know when free shipping is offered?
So many questions, hopefully someone will have some answers.
I bought myself the 16" for Christmas and got it last week; conservatively it is about 19x19 with the edgelight.... I did not get free shipping though, not sure when they offer it but if you are on facebook, check their page!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #64
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriloo View Post
I bought myself the 16" for Christmas and got it last week; conservatively it is about 19x19 with the edgelight.... I did not get free shipping though, not sure when they offer it but if you are on facebook, check their page!
Thanks for the measurement on the 16" model. I will do some figuring to see if it would fit.
As for Facebook, I am not a user, so I guess I will just have to suck it up and pay shipping.
One more question, is the light powered by cord or battery? I do have a plug in close by, but of course it's behind the cabinet.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #65

Quote:
Thanks for the measurement on the 16" model. I will do some figuring to see if it would fit.
As for Facebook, I am not a user, so I guess I will just have to suck it up and pay shipping.
One more question, is the light powered by cord or battery? I do have a plug in close by, but of course it's behind the cabinet.
The light is cord powered...I checked on facebook and have not seen any free shipping offers.....I dont think they offer them very often!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #66
Gallery Gazer

Lauriloo, thanks for checking Facebook for me. I've done some measuring and I definitely don't have space for the 16" model, so I guess my question about the light source is unnecessary.
The 12" model will fit my space and my needs, and since I've never had a light, I guess i wont miss it.
I scouted it out on EBay and found out that someone sold a 12" model with the light for $100. I'm sure the chance of someone listing another one for sale is slim to none, but the thought that they would right after I buy one new makes me a little crazy.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #67

Quote:
Lauriloo, thanks for checking Facebook for me. I've done some measuring and I definitely don't have space for the 16" model, so I guess my question about the light source is unnecessary.
The 12" model will fit my space and my needs, and since I've never had a light, I guess i wont miss it.
I scouted it out on EBay and found out that someone sold a 12" model with the light for $100. I'm sure the chance of someone listing another one for sale is slim to none, but the thought that they would right after I buy one new makes me a little crazy.
Used Genesis don't come around too often. It's such a good cutter that people don't generally want to get rid of them.

The only drawback I can see with getting a 12" cutter is that it only cuts 12" going one way. If you don't cut a lot of 12" card stock this shouldn't be an issue for you.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 AM   #68

Quote:
Congrats on your new Genesis trimmer!! I only use my guide bar if I'm cutting a whole stack of card stock. It's not essential otherwise.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #69
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Used Genesis don't come around too often. It's such a good cutter that people don't generally want to get rid of them.

The only drawback I can see with getting a 12" cutter is that it only cuts 12" going one way. If you don't cut a lot of 12" card stock this shouldn't be an issue for you.
Ok, now I'm puzzled...what do you mean, it only cuts 12" going one way? Is the cutting bed not 12"?
I currently have a guillotine cutter and the cutting bed is 12" so I can measure a full sheet of scrapbook paper. The guillotine bar cuts a 12" piece, barely. Will the 12" Genesis underperform these tasks?

When I work with 12" paper, it's typically to cut it down to 8 1/2 X 11, or to make strips to use in dies.

I do appreciate you mentioning a possible drawback on the 12" model because it helps me weigh the options.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #70
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Ok, now I'm puzzled...what do you mean, it only cuts 12" going one way? Is the cutting bed not 12"?
I currently have a guillotine cutter and the cutting bed is 12" so I can measure a full sheet of scrapbook paper. The guillotine bar cuts a 12" piece, barely. Will the 12" Genesis underperform these tasks?

When I work with 12" paper, it's typically to cut it down to 8 1/2 X 11, or to make strips to use in dies.

I do appreciate you mentioning a possible drawback on the 12" model because it helps me weigh the options.
I think I can answer this although I don't have a Genesis (have been a Genesis lurker so far). I believe the reference is to cutting a 12 x 12 sheet on the diagonal (any diagonal) which would need a larger cutting bed than 12inches. If you are a scrapbooker this could be an issue.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #71
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
I think I can answer this although I don't have a Genesis (have been a Genesis lurker so far). I believe the reference is to cutting a 12 x 12 sheet on the diagonal (any diagonal) which would need a larger cutting bed than 12inches. If you are a scrapbooker this could be an issue.
Oh, never even thought of diagonal cuts. You might be right about that aspect.

After I posted my question, I got to thinking about how the Genesis is a gear style cutter (I'm basing this on the video I watched, not from personal experience.). I wondered if the gear maybe cuts all the way when you pull it down the bar, but if you start at the bottom of the bar it starts cutting a bit in from the 12" mark. Hmmmm....
Old 12-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #72
Forum Fanatic

You can't cut 12" sheets diagonally on either cutter. Both are too small. The one way comment is that if you have a 12" sheet of paper on the bed, you can only cut from top to bottom, rather than both ways. Almost all of my patterned paper is 12" and it's never been an issue for me. It's not that hard to move the blade to the top to cut.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #73
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
You can't cut 12" sheets diagonally on either cutter. Both are too small. The one way comment is that if you have a 12" sheet of paper on the bed, you can only cut from top to bottom, rather than both ways. Almost all of my patterned paper is 12" and it's never been an issue for me. It's not that hard to move the blade to the top to cut.
Thanks for the explanation it makes sense. I wouldn't need to adjust my thinking for the 12" paper since with a guillotine cutter, the cuts always start at the top end.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #74
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks. Glad to clear that up! FWIW I have a Carl cutter and it cuts both ways but 99% of the time it only cuts one way with this user.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #75
Gallery Gazer

I have a rather odd request, I need to know the placement of the feet on the 16" Genesis.
Specifically, I need to know the footprint of the feet, if that makes any sense. Where are the feet in relation to the corners of the top unit?

I can see from one picture on Bonnie's website that the edgelight for the 16" model has a little foot that supports it at the front edge...because of space limitations I won't be ordering the edgelight at this time, so that foot is unimportant to me at this point. Are the other feet 1/2" to 3/4" in from the outside corners of the top grid plate? Depending on where the support feet are located, I may be able to get the 16" model instead of the 12" Genesis. I'm hoping for a report that the feet aren't located directly under the corners, allowing for a little creative placement on my cutting counter.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #76

Quote:
I have a rather odd request, I need to know the placement of the feet on the 16" Genesis.
Specifically, I need to know the footprint of the feet, if that makes any sense. Where are the feet in relation to the corners of the top unit?

I can see from one picture on Bonnie's website that the edgelight for the 16" model has a little foot that supports it at the front edge...because of space limitations I won't be ordering the edgelight at this time, so that foot is unimportant to me at this point. Are the other feet 1/2" to 3/4" in from the outside corners of the top grid plate? Depending on where the support feet are located, I may be able to get the 16" model instead of the 12" Genesis. I'm hoping for a report that the feet aren't located directly under the corners, allowing for a little creative placement on my cutting counter.

Let me take a picture! that may be easier to show...give me a minute! lol
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #77

So the simple answer is, the feet are not directly at the corners. Here are some pictures..I do have the edgelight but have a picture with pointing the feet that would be the edge without the light (if that makes sense)..
Attached Thumbnails
img_2850.jpg   img_2851.jpg   img_2852.jpg   img_2853.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #78
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Let me take a picture! that may be easier to show...give me a minute! lol
I'm here, and keeping my eyeballs on the screen, waiting patiently until you get back with the photo...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #79

Quote:

I have the 16" edgelight model.
The left front foot starts 1-3/8" in from the front and 1-3/8" in from the side.
The left back foot starts 2-3/8" in from the back and 1-3/8" in from the side.
I'm not exactly sure where the right feet would be, because of the edgelight.
The grid part of the 16" Genesis measure 16" from left to right (17" if you include the slider arm) and 17" from back to front (19-1/2" if you include the slider arm).

Last edited by Qbee; 01-04-2013 at 01:01 PM..
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #80
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
So the simple answer is, the feet are not directly at the corners. Here are some pictures..I do have the edgelight but have a picture with pointing the feet that would be the edge without the light (if that makes sense)..
FABULOUS photos!!!! Thank you SO very much for multiple views - with a ruler included for good measure! You are amazing. Your photos show exactly what I was wanting to know and the result is even better than I was hoping for. Looks like I could gain some valuable inches by placing the legs close to the front edge of my available space, thereby making the 16" model a viable option!!!!! Doing the happy dance here. Thank you again, Lauriloo!

Can't wait to show the photos to DH tonight and have him help me get the courage to put the order in.