Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Gelli printing paints

Instead of getting BASICs by Liquid I picked up several bottles of craft paint at Hobby Lobby. I couldn't resist the sale, they were 30% off! They'll work better than my old half dried up bottles.
Which type/brands do you use?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 04:11 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yet another Gelli thread! Liquitex Basics is a main go-to. I got a bunch 50% off at Michaels, just lucked out. Great colors in general, and the copper is yummy. I have some Goldens that were on sale. Studio Calico has some great colors but I already had their paints. They're tiny tubes and unless on sale the value wouldn't be there.

An LSS sold Sennellier Abstracts dirt cheap on the day of a class when we made index card Gelli mini books, so I bought some pouches. Sennelier is top quality; this is their less expensive paint, but even so wouldn't have purchased them without the mega student discount. And I actually like the Liquitex colors more.

Sometimes I mix colors, or lighten/darken them. In an early print, a beautiful maize/straw unexpectedly showed up behind an Art Foamie crow and what looked like weathered blue/gray wood, and was difficult to ressurect, though color mixing is a favorite thing. I didn't remember which brand I used, and the bases make a difference, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 05:28 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a set of 24 basic colors at M's by Artist Loft, each tube us .07 ounces. I used a %40 off coupon and thought it was a real bargain to get that much paint for a little over $10. I also bought their set of 6 neon tube (same size) with a %50 off coupon, can't beat $5 for six more tubes of paint. I now have a whole lot of color variety for an initial investment of around $15.

I will say that while the yellow, orange and pink neon colors are exactly that, the other three are not very neon-ish. They are all 3 nice colors that I will definitely use up. The green is somewhat neon colored, I but I was hoping for more pop in the color. The blue and purple just aren't neon looking to me at all but they are very nice light/pastel colors. Like I said they will still get used though.

I realize these are not high quality acrylics but I won't feel guilty experimenting and playing with these paints either. If a print is unsalvageable I won't think twice about tossing it or cutting it up and only using portions of it.

A couple of other things I am using a lot:

Those dollar store eye shadows we all bought to make our own sprays and then quit using when the sprayers kept clogging. I am treating them like mica powders which they basically are and sprinkling them onto my plate randomly after applying paint.

A bottle of craft brand Americana's pearlizing medium - love, love, love this stuff. It give a wonderful pearl background or finish by itself and makes any color instantly metallic looking when mixed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
A couple of other things I am using a lot:

Those dollar store eye shadows we all bought to make our own sprays and then quit using when the sprayers kept clogging. I am treating them like mica powders which they basically are and sprinkling them onto my plate randomly after applying paint.

A bottle of craft brand Americana's pearlizing medium - love, love, love this stuff. It give a wonderful pearl background or finish by itself and makes any color instantly metallic looking when mixed.
Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye out for paint along w/paper sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 03:44 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

I'm not fancy - I like the craft paints for gel printing too. I used 2 Apple Barrel matte paints (Walmart's brand) and DecoArt white on this batch of tags that I gel printed last week. They work well, and you can stamp over them with Versafine ink.

Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 04:21 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Dini your tags are wonderful, tfs!

I will splurge on some Golden fluid bottles eventually and maybe some of the Pebeo's but for now I'm happy with what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 04:37 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I'm not fancy - I like the craft paints for gel printing too. I used 2 Apple Barrel matte paints (Walmart's brand) and DecoArt white on this batch of tags that I gel printed last week. They work well, and you can stamp over them with Versafine ink.

Nicely done.
On your blog you said ..."you used contact paper to cut the letters."..
I never though of using cp as a mask!
You're sending me further down the rabbit's hole, but I'm luvin' the journey.

Are you cutting the letters from a die or electronic die cutting machine?
Does the contact paper lift the paper when removed or does it release like a sticky note?
Will the dollar store paper work?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm a newbie to gelli printing and I'm collecting my supplies and watching videos to get ready to try it for myself. I have paints, some cheaper acrylics and some Dylusions paints and some Liquitex too. I have the gelli arts plate. I'm wondering what kind of paper you normally use. If I want to put it in my art journal, would I use a lighter weight paper, but white cardstock if I want to use it on a card?
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Don't forget Distress ink pads and stencils... I made some beautiful prints with them and the clean up was easy and quick. Check out some of my other posts where I attached pictures of my prints. So far I've printed on watercolor, cardstock, and copier paper...
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh man, we could talk about this forever! (at least I could). Gelli printing is one of my favorite things to do. I use any paint I can get my hands on! (acrylic) I have discovered that Hobby Lobby's brand - Fine Touch - is really nice. I use a 40% coupon which means ounce for ounce it is super cheap. I almost have all their colors. It behaves more like the Liquitex as opposed to the craft paint. However, I still use a lot of craft paint. You just have to learn the properties and behaviors of each. I have splurged and bought an interference Golden paint, and, wow!, is it awesome. As for paper-the only thing I make sure not to use is anything glossy. Last Saturday, I experimented with some pages from a very old encyclopedia book. They are like Bible pages. Very thin and gold-edged. They printed beautifully. A cool, unexpected side effect was that the ink from the page was pulled off and then I lifted it in the next print! Soooo cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stocked up on cheap craft paints when they've been on sale for $.30 a bottle (!) And I have also invested in some Golden liquid acrylic paints, but my favorite so far for the Gelly plate are the Deco Art Media fluid acrylic paints, which I got on Blitsy. Much more liquid than thicker craft paints but very highly pigmented and creamy � just really nice to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

... luv it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 05:20 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I'm wondering what kind of paper you normally use. If I want to put it in my art journal, would I use a lighter weight paper, but white cardstock if I want to use it on a card?
I have used just about any and everything from:

deli paper and tracing paper

leftover stationary from forever ago
copy paper I buy for my printer
colored cardstock I already had
Georgia Pacific cardstock from Walmart, the same stuff I used for making cards
Mixed media from a pad I had bought once and hardly used, it has a linen like texture that gets interesting results
Stuff leftover from my kids school supplies such as graph paper, wide lined paper for learning to write-both standard notebook and the stuff with the dotted line in the middle.

If it is paper and close by I'll try it. It's just paper and not exactly the most expensive supply I've ever purchased, so nothing to lose and it just might my next greatest pull ever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't laugh but I won't use my expensive acrylics on a Gelli plate. I get the stingies when it comes to that, lol.I need those for painting like my real art work. Yes, I know the motto it is a tool not jewels.

I do love my little bottles of craft paints. I buy student grade acrylic paints at WalMart and mix my own colors. I pick up things on clearance all the time. I don't feel bad using clearance items on fun things like gelli plates or my coloring books.

I make all my stencils on my Cricut Explore. A few years ago I got a great deal on acetate on Ebay. Then I just picked up a bunch more acetate for only $2.00 for two hundred sheets. I have stencil material for a lifetime.

Dini- I love your tags.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I been using Dylusions with cheap Ceramcoat white with great results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all your input. I need to replace a few colors so I'm watching for paint sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I received a link to this today, and thought others might find it interesting. It's a beautiful technique, using pulled apart string to create faux marble. Birgit Koopsen is an amazing artist:

Faux Marble Technique
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks, I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

{mistake}

Last edited by bjeans; 03-14-2017 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes