Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiskars Texture Plates?

I really love the swiss dot CB embossing folder. But, I don't have anything to run it through and I can't justify a new cutting system. I saw the Fiskars Texture plates and tool this week at HL. Does anyone have this? How do you like it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I found the Fiskars texture plates difficult to use even with their special tool. It was just too much effort for the result. I have carpal tunnel, which might be part of the issue.

I bought a Cuttlebug instead. I need to get my plates back from my friend so I can try them out in the Cuttlebug.

I have seen posts somewhere here on SCS where somebody used a rolling pin on the embossing folders if you don't want to purchase a die cut system. The Cuttlebug has come down a lot in price, though.

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Fiskars texture plates and the Big Shot. I found that using the polymer pad (that I got to use with Nestabilities) gives a very good impression. I was excited as I love the swiss dots, also. I imagine you could use the Cuttlebug in the same way. My sister has one and uses it to cut everything...cardboard, chipboard, felt, etc...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Well that's a new one to me. I googled the rolling pin and pasta maker methods. It's pretty interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

I found the Fiskars tool really hard to use. I wouldn't recommend it.

I had an old pasta machine that I pulled out; some machines are wide enough to use the texture plates; mine wasn't :(

However, I did try running my small CB folders through & it worked like a charm

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

My mom lent me the Fiskars texture plates and stylus to try. I've never used a Cuttlebug so I can't compare, but I like the plates. It does take a little bit of time (depending on the size of the paper you're embossing) but I think it turns out very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile wax paper

It also helps if you run wax paper over the top of it b4 you use the tool. They really aren't that difficult and I use them quite a bit. I don't have a cuttlebug but my old sizzix does a great job with the cuttlebug embossing folders. I almost wish it didn't because I just can't justify buying one since the sizzix works great and I already have a knk for all of my cutting needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by edith199View Post
I found the Fiskars tool really hard to use. I wouldn't recommend it.

I had an old pasta machine that I pulled out; some machines are wide enough to use the texture plates; mine wasn't :(

However, I did try running my small CB folders through & it worked like a charm
Thanks so much for this info. I have been debating whether or not to buy a CB. If it goes through my pasta machine(I use for polymer) I wont have to spend the extra $$$.
Thanks again,
Renee' F
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdunbar9255View Post
It also helps if you run wax paper over the top of it b4 you use the tool. They really aren't that difficult and I use them quite a bit. I don't have a cuttlebug but my old sizzix does a great job with the cuttlebug embossing folders. I almost wish it didn't because I just can't justify buying one since the sizzix works great and I already have a knk for all of my cutting needs.
I was just wondering if my old sizzix would work. You ladies are really giving me a lot of info tonight. I am glad that this came about.

Thanks ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Do you have to do anything special to use the big sizzix? My neighbor has the big sizzix machine and I know she'd let me borrow it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile I don't have the new big sizzix

I am not sure about the bigger sizzix, I have the older model but I think they do use the embossing folder, probably with the regular embossing sheet that you use for their embossing folders but that is only a guess but I am sure that it will work.

Also with my machine I just use one of the big adapters they they sell so you can use different dies with the machine.

BTW I just checked and they do run thru my pasta machine made by AMACO, I would have never thought about that!! Now I can definately sell my old machine!! I was only keeping it for embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I use my cuttlebug embossing folders in my old sizzix. It works great. I don't have the cuttlebug but I do have several of the folders. I already have the old sizzix, the Big Shot and a sidekick, so I couldn't justify buying another die cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I think the Fiskars texture plates are a disaster. They are a lot of work with uneven results. I gave the couple I had a way. I love my Cuttlebug, it is the way to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used the Fiskars Texture Plates with their tool for a while and found it difficult, but nice results. Since I have bought a Sizzix Big Shot and use my Texture plates in that with beautiful results! Not sure what I ever did with that little blue tool thingy...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I use the Fiskars plates through my Wizard and I love it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I have the Fiskars embossing thingies with the little tool and I absolutely hate it. Must be my hands. I had them put in a bag to sell at a garage sale. However, after reading all the responses you got here, I went into my back room and decided to try to run in through my Sizzix Big Kick. It left an impression on the CS but not really an emboss. Probably if I got the tan Wizard cloth it would work great. I think if you don't mind just having an image on the background instead of a good emboss, it would be something a little different. Personally, I LOVE the cuttlebug folders. The embossing you get from it is crisp & clean and that's running it through my Big Kick - which is the only machine I have. I use Cuttlebug, Sizzix & Spellbinders Wizard dies through the Big Kick. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

The Fiskars emobossing tool was a disaster for me, too. I just received my tan Wizard pads and what a difference that makes in the CB! It also helps to mist your cardstock before making your "sandwich" (A plate, Fiskars texture plate, cardstock, both tan Wizard pads (2 come in a pkg), and plate B. Now I'll keep my Fiskars plates. Hope that helps.
judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

So is the advantage of the Cuttlebug over the Sizzix that you can roll more things through it than you can put under a Sizzix? Are the Wizard pads sold by CB or somebody else? I've got some of the Fiskars texture plates that I'd like to try with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's the stupid question for today. Can I run my Fiskars plates through the Cuttlebug? Do they fit? Do I need extra stuff to make that happen? I have some of the Fiskar's stuff and have been suffering from Cuttlebug/Big Kick envy. With a 50% coupon for Michaels this week the Cuttlebug is calling to me, but I need to know if what I have will work and do I need to buy more stuff to go with it right away. I hate to buy when it's not on sale and I have no good coupon.

Thanks!

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:15 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennkbView Post
Here's the stupid question for today. Can I run my Fiskars plates through the Cuttlebug? Do they fit? Do I need extra stuff to make that happen? I have some of the Fiskar's stuff and have been suffering from Cuttlebug/Big Kick envy. With a 50% coupon for Michaels this week the Cuttlebug is calling to me, but I need to know if what I have will work and do I need to buy more stuff to go with it right away. I hate to buy when it's not on sale and I have no good coupon.

Thanks!
I had to "thicken" my stack up some just to get the Fiskars plate to leave an impression (not emboss) on the paper). I'm seriously considering getting the Wizard's cloth but I heard that fun foam works too. I'm sure if I keep at it, I'll find something that'll make those plates do a good emboss! I LOVE MY BIG KICK! Just by looking at the Cuttlebug - which is smaller - the Big Kick does all the same things for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:28 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've successfully run my Fiskars plates thru' my Cuttlebug. The Wizard mats are a must to get a good impression. The Fiskars plates don't make as deep an impression as the Cuttlebug folders, but it's still a nice background. I originally bought a set of texture plates and the embossing tool before I had a Cuttlebug and hated it - too much effort, sub-par results. Fortunately I hadn't "garage-saled" the lot before getting my Cuttlebug!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

EXACTLY!!!! I will definitely get a Wizards mat! Good thing I "rescued" those plates!!!! before I impulsively sold them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2008, 07:07 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah - thank you!

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs down for the Fiskars texture plates and tool, IMHO!!! I bought a big pack of them, too... However, you ladies are giving me new ideas to try. I may have to dig them out and try them with my Cuttlebug! Thanks for the ideas!

Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I tried to run the Fiskars plates through my Cuttlebug, but couldn't get an impression. I followed the sandwich stack instructions, using fun foam, but got nothing. Anyone else have better luck than me??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

I don't know what I did the first time I ran my Fiskars thru my Big Kick, but it came out great. Then, when I went to do it again, it sucked (pardon the expression) big time. So I went out (dummy):confused: and purchased Spellbinder's tan mat (somewhat of a dummy) but it helps. I had to keep at it to figure out how to sandwich it because it was too thick to go thru the machine (total dummy):twisted: I finally got it to make an impression tho nowhere near as nice as the Cuttlebug embossing folders or what I got the first time; but hey, it's something to do for a background (maybe) I'm sure if you ran a little chalk over the impression it would look like something (I hope):rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

i have the fiskars shapeboss and a HEAP of templates but hated embossing with the sylus and the special tool so they all just sat there gathering dust

recently i read about using the fiskars folders with the bug and with a lot of trial and error i had some success!

i posted a tutorial on my blog for using the fiskars templates with my bug and am loving the results..not a crisp as the bug folders but still a good impression...apparently you guys can use plumbers gasket but I couldnt get it here in australia..

my blog is my5bratz.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q&AmomView Post
The Fiskars emobossing tool was a disaster for me, too. I just received my tan Wizard pads and what a difference that makes in the CB! It also helps to mist your cardstock before making your "sandwich" (A plate, Fiskars texture plate, cardstock, both tan Wizard pads (2 come in a pkg), and plate B. Now I'll keep my Fiskars plates. Hope that helps.
judy
So glad I found this...what are the Wizrds ads & anyone know where I can get them? (I use my Big Shot with the fiskars plates but get as stated - a slight image but nothing really embossed, crisp, or clear.) I hate that hand tool fiskars sells!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 04:39 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought the Fiskers plates because I "knew" I would never buy the cuttlebug.. HA! I now put the plates through the cuttlebug....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCDstamperView Post
I tried to run the Fiskars plates through my Cuttlebug, but couldn't get an impression. I followed the sandwich stack instructions, using fun foam, but got nothing. Anyone else have better luck than me??

My impressions don't come out as crisp as the CB folders but I still get a nice background effect
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fiskars texture plates will work in the various die cutting/embossing machines. Be advised you will not ever get as crisp/clear an embossing as you do with the Cuttlebug embossing folders. Misting the cardstock may help a bit though. The difference being.....the Fiskars texture plates are just that...for texture. The Cuttlebug embossing folders are for embossing.

You can also use the flexible rubber pad that comes with the Sizzix texture plates in your machines instead of the Wizard one.

The Fiskars plates are very nice when put through a machine, for a bit a more subtle effect.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
The Fiskars texture plates will work in the various die cutting/embossing machines. Be advised you will not ever get as crisp/clear an embossing as you do with the Cuttlebug embossing folders. Misting the cardstock may help a bit though. The difference being.....the Fiskars texture plates are just that...for texture. The Cuttlebug embossing folders are for embossing.

You can also use the flexible rubber pad that comes with the Sizzix texture plates in your machines instead of the Wizard one.

The Fiskars plates are very nice when put through a machine, for a bit a more subtle effect.

Patti

Thanks - I do use the rubber pad in the sizzix, as I have to do with mst embossing items. Trial & error, I guess, and you're right - perhaps they were never meant to be as crisp as the CBs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacher4416View Post
So glad I found this...what are the Wizrds ads & anyone know where I can get them? (I use my Big Shot with the fiskars plates but get as stated - a slight image but nothing really embossed, crisp, or clear.) I hate that hand tool fiskars sells!!!
I recently saw the tan pads at my HL. I have used a few sheets of fun foam and the misted cardstock, but I also cut a silicone baking sheet (the little bit thicker blue ones from wilton not the Silpat type) and use that with my pasta machine.

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I use the fiskars texture plates in my BigKick. I initially followed the instuctions on the multi platform for the sizzix texture plates, but wasn't impressed with the results; so i tried using them with all the tabs down, and replaced the black sizzix plate with a normal cutting plate (sandwich wouldn't fit through machine with the black plate) it takes a little effort to whind the handle, but it's worth the effort, as you get a lovely embossed impression, nearly as good as the cuttlebug folders.

Sandwich i used is as follows.
Multi platform with all tabs down
texture plate
paper
silicone pad (from sizzix texturez starter pack)
cutting plate.

I have found that my cutting plate has started to curve from the process; but it still works fine, and i've used the texture plates this way alot.

Hope this helps
Suzi
Reply With Quote Likes