Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Favorite white cardstock

What is your favorite white cardstock and weight for base card? Neenah? Georgia-Pacific? Strathmore Bristol? 110#? Other?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very partial to Michael's Recollections 110lb cardstock in white, black, & ivory for card bases. They are now carrying more colors in 110lb cardstock. Just wish they had a Kraft in that weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Randa, I have some Kraft that feels that heavy but it doesn't show the weight. I bought it at Hobby Lobby and it is made by The Paper Studio. 50 sheets $4.99 but 40% off with coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2017, 05:27 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I use Neenah Classic Crest in Solar White. Two weights: 110 pound cover and 80 pound cover. I have never found any other paper that comes close to rivaling these. And it is available in both smooth and super-smooth finish.

Any paper that is a "card" or "index" or "bristol" weight is too lightweight...Unless you can find it in 160 pound or higher.

And in case you want to know the my choices for the others:
I don't use much in the way of "off white" or "vanilla", but if I did I would do the same with Neenah Classic Crest in Classic Natural White. Again, in both weights, and available in both smooth and super-smooth finish.

As for black, I have some Recollections right now, but am not very fond of it. I will be checking out Neenah Classic Crest Duplex cover in Epic Black and Solar White. That is a 120 pound cover stock with Epic Black on one side and Solar White on the other. Otherwise I will go with Epic Black in 100 pound cover and 80 pound cover.

And for the kraft type: Neenah Environmental in Desert Storm. Two weights: 100 pound cover and 80 pound cover.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks!!! These are going on my list. Where you do get the best prices? Is there a specific purpose that you would choose one weight over the other (100# vs. 80#)?

Last edited by SoBelle; 07-11-2017 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Added second question
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

100# for card bases; 80# for layering.

My favorites: Hammermill Color Copy Digital Cover in both 80# and 100#. When I bought this, it was $10-$12/ream, so I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Neenah. And the Hammermill works like a dream with Copics. I WILL have Neenah one day, just as soon as
I finish the case of Hammermill... and at this rate, that's gonna take a wee bit of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Ah ha! I was thinking the lighter weight is for layering. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, it would take a while to go through a case of paper, but it is a money saver I have been using leftover Georgia-Pacific 110# that I bought to laminate my binder sheets. It works pretty good, but I am almost out. Just shopping for ideas from all you ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

My new favorite "white" is the Neenah Astrobrights Stardust. It has tiny flecks of color but they are not really noticeable once the card is all layered and finished. I even use it for my flowers. Pretty much all my cards are heavily layered and embellished so I'm not usually concerned with the card weight. By the time it's done, it's pretty beefy. Who knew glue could be so heavy!I get most of my cardstock from the papermill store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Neenah Classic Crest for me too, generally Solar White. 80 for layering, 110 for bases.

"Classic Crest" is the quality line, not "Exact Index," which is sold in big box stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a golden oldie on a tight budget, and make and send lots of cards, so cost as well as quality is a factor for me.

I've used a 110# white cardstock that I buy at Sam's for years and like it very much. I use it for my card bases and also for stamped images. It's probably not as heavy as what some of you like to use, but it is not flimsy at all. I think it's made by Georgia Pacific, but seems heavier than the GP that they sell at Walmart.

Most of my cards will hopefully be looked at and enjoyed for a short time, and not kept forever or put in a museum, so I don't feel they have to be super heavy, just nice enough!

Here is a link to the Sam's cardstock. It's a good bargain at $7.88 for 250 sheets!

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/search...questid=239175

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I'm a golden oldie on a tight budget, and make and send lots of cards, so cost as well as quality is a factor for me.

I've used a 110# white cardstock that I buy at Sam's for years and like it very much. I use it for my card bases and also for stamped images. It's probably not as heavy as what some of you like to use, but it is not flimsy at all. I think it's made by Georgia Pacific, but seems heavier than the GP that they sell at Walmart.

Most of my cards will hopefully be looked at and enjoyed for a short time, and not kept forever or put in a museum, so I don't feel they have to be super heavy, just nice enough!

Here is a link to the Sam's cardstock. It's a good bargain at $7.88 for 250 sheets!
I think it's great you found something that works so well for you.

Part of it depends on what's being applied to the cardstock. For straight stamping, adhering sentiments, etc. it could be well worth it to try less expensive options.

When blending inks (Distress Oxides or others), using a touch of light watercolors, Zig Clean Color Brushes, etc., I need Neenah - or equivalent. It's not just the weight, it's how it can handle those applications.

(If using a lot of water, I use watercolor paper most of the time.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I think it's great you found something that works so well for you.

Part of it depends on what's being applied to the cardstock. For straight stamping, adhering sentiments, etc. it could be well worth it to try less expensive options.

When blending inks (Distress Oxides or others), using a touch of light watercolors, Zig Clean Color Brushes, etc., I need Neenah - or equivalent. It's not just the weight, it's how it can handle those applications.

(If using a lot of water, I use watercolor paper most of the time.)
You are so right. I don't use watercolors ever, or blending inks. My go-to is coloring with alcohol markers, (Spectrum Noir, Shinhan Touch Twin, etc.) and the Image Plus works well for that.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, it's Gina K Pure Luxury card stock, hands down. Heavy base weight for card bases (duh!), single layer cards, and 3D projects, and layering weight for focal images and layers. The heavy base weight white is the only card stock I've found that you can use for a single layer Copic-colored card; even Copics don't bleed through. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. 😀
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Where do you find the best prices for Neenah Classic Crest? You ladies have helped me a lot. I am getting a better idea of what I need now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melolearyView Post
For me, it's Gina K Pure Luxury card stock, hands down. Heavy base weight for card bases (duh!), single layer cards, and 3D projects, and layering weight for focal images and layers. The heavy base weight white is the only card stock I've found that you can use for a single layer Copic-colored card; even Copics don't bleed through. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. ��
I'm interested to try out this paper so I checked out the website. Is it true that the largest pack is only 25 sheets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2017, 03:34 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Gina K. white and ivory. Love it. I also use Neenah 110 Solar White for card bases. I don't color with Copics, so I often use S.U. Whisper White for fronts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2017, 03:52 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PTI in Rustic White and Stampers Select White. Very heavy. Not as cheap as a ream of Neenah, but I have always liked PTI for paper.

But I am considering the Neenah to replace the SS. I just don't make a lot of white based cards at this point, so it would last forever if I didn't like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always used Papertrey Ink Stampers Select White and Rustic White, but recently ran out of the white so thought I'd try the Hammermill 100#...spent $23 on Amazon for 250 sheets which was probably not the cheapest I could get it but it shipped fast. Just trying out my first sheet...it's definitely not as heavy as I like for card bases but it works for card panels. At that rate it will take me a 100 years to use it all! I'm no coloring expert with Copics, but used them on my card to see how they "behaved"...I didn't think they were any better than the results I get with Papertrey's white cardstock.
Haven't tried Gina K's, but I can't say I have the budget for trying out lots of different whites so I may just go back to Papertrey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gina K and Papertrey are similar in weight (heavy and substantial). I own some Gina K but mostly PTI because I like their color palette. And the Rustic White and Rustic Cream are very beautiful.

I buy pretty much nothing else from them. Just paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Which white is the whitest? The SU is nice, but not really white-white. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

I looooove Bazzill premium smooth or textured. I have tried a bajillion different cardstocks and the ONLY, heavier weight one I have found, that doesn't fray when folded, is the Bazzill. It is expensive but I think it is worth it. It seems that Neenah gets a lot of press but it frays for me when folded (and I have tried all the little tricks to prevent it, but to no avail!) I have not tried Gina K.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

For price and quanity I like Michael's recollection 110 wt. When you can use your 40% coupon, it is very affordable. Not the best for watercoloring but pretty good for most other needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonsView Post
I looooove Bazzill premium smooth or textured. I have tried a bajillion different cardstocks and the ONLY, heavier weight one I have found, that doesn't fray when folded, is the Bazzill. It is expensive but I think it is worth it. It seems that Neenah gets a lot of press but it frays for me when folded (and I have tried all the little tricks to prevent it, but to no avail!) I have not tried Gina K.
By fray do you mean cracking? If so, I’ve never had that happen with Neenah Classic Crest. (Exact Index is a cheaper line sold in big box stores.)

I think gently scoring a couple of times (to stretch the fibers) instead of once hard (that breaks them), can help, as does using a Teflon bone folder to press down the fold - expensive but worth it to me.

I tried Elizabeth Craft’s Soft Finish cardstock recently and like it a lot - it has a lovely hand. We used it in an Elizabeth Craft class at a Stamp & SB Expo, and I bought a couple small packs - 80 and 110. The white is sold out - probably because of all the Stamp Expos - but restocks tend to be quick. I like buying from a small company. Bonus: The videos of Els making cards are lovely, and she often provides project pdfs.

https://www.elizabethcraftdesigns.co...nish-cardstock

I also like some Bazzill papers and cardstock but since American Craft purchased the company, quality has changed in some of their papers. My favorite Bazzill isn’t made any more, according to a surly AC CS rep.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-18-2018 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I have been using Staples 110# paper for many years and am very happy with it. I have watercolored with it, die cuts beautifully and used markers.
I don’t own copics but I recall one of my former SU friends used it for them as she said SU paper did not take to copics.

I still have a ream of the original Recollections 110# which I have been hoarding. When they switched over to having it made in China I read here it was thinner and color greyer. I went to my local Mikes to check out. Sure enough there was one package with corner ripped open with edge of paper well bent. I assumed there were more people than I who wanted to check out the new paper. Sadly it was inferior to original.

I seem to recall regarding here that they had Improved it but have not seen much of a concensus here backing this up.

I recently purchased a package of Neena Classic Crest and will compare to what I am using.i will echo what has been said here many times “not all 110 is the same”.

I do like to purchase in bulk as 25 sheets does not go far.i guess it goes without saying, that color of white paper is like white paint........put those swatches up and wow what a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2018, 12:22 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been buying the HObby Lobby Heavyweight cardstock. It is great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I bought the Michael’s 110 recently and have found that I like it for card bases. I tend to layer on the inside to coordinate with the card front, so that contributes to the overall sturdiness of the finished card.

At the moment, my favorites for Copic and the main layer of a card are the Neenah recommended above and Spectrum Noir. Both are a beautiful, crisp white.

Reply With Quote Likes