Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain how spellbinders dies work?

Okay- I'm looking at this picture:
http://marcopaper.com/wizarddiecircles.jpg

And I see circles with the centers cut out, and solid circles.
Does each die I buy have the ability to cut all those different sizes? Or would I have to buy lots of different dies?

Is it a seperate die just to get the rim instead of the solid circle? Or is that a solid circle with another circle cut out of it?

I know spellbinders dies emboss- is it possible to NOT get an embossed impression (like if you just want a flat solid circle)

I'm very confused by these- they seem to do too much.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm curious, too~

I've wondered about the buckle dies - and the one with the clocks....
Pricey to spend on something I don't understand and haven't seen.
I've wondered of they are hard to use?
And do they emboss AND cut at the same time?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:17 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Also have wondered WHERE people buy them - if there is a discount store online that carries the line?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Ellen Hutson has a really long post explain them on her site did you check that out? hth

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:31 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321View Post

Does each die I buy have the ability to cut all those different sizes? Or would I have to buy lots of different dies?

Is it a seperate die just to get the rim instead of the solid circle? Or is that a solid circle with another circle cut out of it?

I know spellbinders dies emboss- is it possible to NOT get an embossed impression (like if you just want a flat solid circle)

Thanks
Each SET of nestabilities can cut certain size groupings in 1/8 increments I think, and each set has their own characteristics so yes I *think* you can get it without the embossing ability. The bronze circles are the dies and the blue and red are the papers. The blue and red show the embossing ability. Ellen talks a bit more about it here hope this helps. I bet if you ask her she would respons super quick

http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/ellen...he-dies-1

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Ellen's blog didn't really explain if it cut just the frame or if it actually cut the circle. Maybe I'll email her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrelandView Post
I'm curious, too~

I've wondered about the buckle dies - and the one with the clocks....
Pricey to spend on something I don't understand and haven't seen.
I've wondered of they are hard to use?
And do they emboss AND cut at the same time?
I've used the non-nesting dies, and they don't emboss and cut at the same time. You change the sandwich and run it back through to emboss. But that's just with the wizard (ick- awful, IMO) so I don't know what it would do on a different machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

"And I see circles with the centers cut out, and solid circles.

Thanks
"

The Spellbinder Geometric Dies were made to give you multiple sizes in one die. So each ring is a different size. You would run the die through the Wizard once to get your die cut. Then if you want, you swap out the spacer plate for the tan polymar pad and run the die cut through a second time (still in the die) and that is when you will get the great embossed details in the die. Now if you leave the die cut in the die and flip it over so you are looking at the flat side, you can add your inks, chalks, pen... to enhance your die cut using the die like you would a brass stencil. Do you need to do this every time, no. That is what is great about the Spellbinder dies. It gives you flexability. Most of the dies come with more then one image. So you get more for your money. Like the geometrics, I think there are 5 or 6 sizes on 1 set. Plus if you take two let say circles the biggest and a slightly smaller one, you can make rings instead of circles. Also the Spellbinders Dies are Universal, so they will work in other machines.

Hope this helps explain the Spellbinder Dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #9  
lfw
Kookie Creator

what are the exact measurements of the plain Large/Small rectangle & square shapes die cuts?

SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Popping in with a suggestion - the technologically challenged people of the world like me would greatly be helped by a video tutorial....

I am a bit confused now too :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooked-2View Post
"And I see circles with the centers cut out, and solid circles.

Thanks
"

The Spellbinder Geometric Dies were made to give you multiple sizes in one die. So each ring is a different size. You would run the die through the Wizard once to get your die cut. Then if you want, you swap out the spacer plate for the tan polymar pad and run the die cut through a second time (still in the die) and that is when you will get the great embossed details in the die. Now if you leave the die cut in the die and flip it over so you are looking at the flat side, you can add your inks, chalks, pen... to enhance your die cut using the die like you would a brass stencil. Do you need to do this every time, no. That is what is great about the Spellbinder dies. It gives you flexability. Most of the dies come with more then one image. So you get more for your money. Like the geometrics, I think there are 5 or 6 sizes on 1 set. Plus if you take two let say circles the biggest and a slightly smaller one, you can make rings instead of circles. Also the Spellbinders Dies are Universal, so they will work in other machines.

Hope this helps explain the Spellbinder Dies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #11  
lfw
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
Popping in with a suggestion - the technologically challenged people of the world like me would greatly be helped by a video tutorial....

You're not alone...I very much a visual person. Maybe a video will be made just like the cuttlebug when it first came out.

SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post

And they have one!
http://www.spellbinders.us/ct/store/ct_demo.asp

I really disliked the wizard- but I think I am sold on their dies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

One of the most unique things about this die is that it gives you the option to emboss....or not......or simply emboss in a different way.

Consider this......you purchase the Spellbinders Patriotic Heart die (it has stars and stripes on it). You want to be able to get a little more mileage out of the die and use it on a layout or card with a country feel to it......

In the first pass you cut the heart out....it's a flat, simple heart.....instead of sending it through a second time to emboss the patriotic look you take it out of the die and leave it as is.....OR....take it out of the die....lay it on a piece of window screen or simply a fiskar plate that has grids on it.....run it through to emboss this different patten into the paper giving it a country feel.

OR run it through a fiskar plate that has the swirls and you have a heart for a wedding card........

Almost anything that has texture can be embossed into the paper!

I've used things that I have at home that I don't have to purchase for embossing such as.....

gutter guard
mesh wire
rubbermade bubbly shelf lining
paper clips
rubber bands
rug gripper

By embossing in different ways my die cuts always look different!

I even cut things in the dies that I have around the house...like Pepsi cans! It makes fun jewelry! Before I throw something in the recycling bin, I consider if I could use it someway in my Wizard. The BEST chipboard in my opinion is cereal boxes!!

If you've got questions, I'm happy to share what I know! I don't want to come across as an advertisement, so ask specific questions and I'll try to help in whatever way I can.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

In response to KiminIowa's post about using found objects to emboss, to make these pins, I used the Spellbinders Flower Creation Die. I cut out the flowers and removed the largest petal die cut (to be embossed later) I then embossed the remaining petals with the detail from the die (the holes in the die are what gives the embossed detail) I inked the embossed flower petals with Chalk Inks and then I took a piece of Gutter Guard (the stuff our husbands put in the house gutters to keep leaves and sticks out) I had cut a small piece off the roll that DH had left over in our garage. I placed the large petal flower on top of the Gutter Guard and then the tan polymar pad which were sandwiched between two white mats. I ran that through the Wizard embossed the "squares" into the petals. I then enhanced with more chalk ink and used Glue Dots to adhere to the stick pin.

Maybe seeing this will help show you the possibilities and the remarkable embossing detail that you can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Explain how spellbinders dies work?-3-stick-pins-small.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Nestabilities and Geometric dies, you get a certain number of dies. You can cut a shape or a window if you just use one piece of the set. Say, a circle. To cut out a frame you use two of the dies, one for the inside cut and one for the outside cut.

It works best if you use a magnetic sheet to help keep the metal dies in place (especially for cutting a frame).

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

I have a wizard and enjoy all the things I can do with it and I don't even know everything yet. I e-mailed Stacey Caron to find someone in my area that was giving classes and she e-mailed me back, even though she is out of town, and said she will send me info on a lady in my area as soon as she is back. This might even be better then the video tutorial! The dies give you more for your money and can be used in other machines. I think others here have explained how they work better then I can.
Laureen
Psalm 118:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so excited about the SB dies...I have my eye on the Nestabilites circles, ovals, squares and rectangles and the matching scallop dies. You can check out the blogs of Debbie Olsen, Michelle Wooderson and Trudee Sauer...they are part of the SB Blog DT. They all have beautiful creations made using these dies, and explain how they do it, too. Ellen Hutson has alot of info/pictures on her blog about the dies.
I was going to purchase the Marvy punches in all of the new scallop shapes, and am so glad I don't have to now. I feel SB Nestabilities gives me best bang for my $$, good storage (12 dies in 1 CD case), and I get perfect nested shapes...good for the AR in me ;-)!!!
HTH; Anna Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #18  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Marco's Papers demos the Wizard and they attend many of the shows put on by Heirloom Productions. I plan to go to the one scheduled for Rhinebeck (NY) this September.

The folks at the booth are very helpful and friendly (and making a purchase gets you entered into a drawing and they give away a Wizard, a scoring thing-a-ma-bog --- Scor-IT?, and some metal-working tool plus paper packs too.)

It's always my first stop (this will be my 3rd year and it's the only show close enough to fit my schedule).

HTH and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks
I have that die. It is seven different circles that are attached together when you purchase them. You twist them apart to use them independantly or you can nest them to get a ring. This is true for the circles, squares, triangles, ovals and rectangle dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Not to hijack the thread but watched your ice skating video. Great Spiral! I skated in High School and had a blast. I see that you must be a leftie too! I did all my jumps right handed but spun leftie. Wierd, huh? My pro made me avoid all spins for a week and I had to do them rightie....about killed me! Never could do an axel but could do a double loop. Go figure. Haven't skated in years now. Rinks aren't very close and this old body would probably had a fit now on the ice! Keep at it. You can hit plateaus then suddenly fly by them. Practice your jumps and spins in your head before you hit the ice and you'll be amazed at how much better you'll do when you're on the ice next time. Spend lots of time just skating straight around the rink, doing crossovers at the corners and push yourself to go faster all the time, it will improve your balance and confidence at the same time! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
Not to hijack the thread but watched your ice skating video. Great Spiral! I skated in High School and had a blast. I see that you must be a leftie too! I did all my jumps right handed but spun leftie. Wierd, huh? My pro made me avoid all spins for a week and I had to do them rightie....about killed me! Never could do an axel but could do a double loop. Go figure. Haven't skated in years now. Rinks aren't very close and this old body would probably had a fit now on the ice! Keep at it. You can hit plateaus then suddenly fly by them. Practice your jumps and spins in your head before you hit the ice and you'll be amazed at how much better you'll do when you're on the ice next time. Spend lots of time just skating straight around the rink, doing crossovers at the corners and push yourself to go faster all the time, it will improve your balance and confidence at the same time! ;-)
Thanks so much for the complement. I'm actually a righty- but I spin leftie- as I had many years of "drill team" dance where we were very one sided. I just cannot spin CCW without throwing up - so since I spin leftie- my coach makes me jump lefty. I've adapted pretty well (even though my right leg is the strong one) on everything but my loop. It's awful.

I've been skating for a little over a year now, and will do my first tests next month!!! I'd probably be better if I practiced more, but I only skate 2 hours a week or so.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks so much for the complement. I'm actually a righty- but I spin leftie- as I had many years of "drill team" dance where we were very one sided. I just cannot spin CCW without throwing up - so since I spin leftie- my coach makes me jump lefty. I've adapted pretty well (even though my right leg is the strong one) on everything but my loop. It's awful.

I've been skating for a little over a year now, and will do my first tests next month!!! I'd probably be better if I practiced more, but I only skate 2 hours a week or so.

Thanks again
You're doing great for just a year. Yeah.....if you could give it more like two hours a day, you'd really see a big difference! In High school when responsibilities didn't get in the way, I was there about three to four hours a day and all day during the summer time during summer skating school. That was an incredibly fun time. Wish video had been around then!! I have a couple of snapshots of me in solo garb but no movies at all. My pro had been in Ice Capades and when it came to Denver he was able to get us backstage to talk to the skaters and see all the goings on. Those costumes are really shabby up close! We got to borrow a lot of costumes from them for a summer school closing program and that was quite fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Can Spellbinder Dies work in other die cutting machines?

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

I use them in my Big Shot. I just have to adjust my shimming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
apparently works great in the Cuttlebug.
hth; Anna Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, I think I need help here! I have a Cuttlebug and one spellbinders die, a butterfly one that cuts and has the capability to emboss. I can get it to cut, but the paper gets stuck in the die (and embedded into the plastic). First question, is there a foam pad that I am supposed to have on here to help eject the cut piece? I found out after I tried using the quickutz dies that there was a foam pad in the package for a reason... :oops:
Secondly, how do I emboss? It's definitely going to be different on the CB, does anyone use these on their CB?

Thanks!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna BethView Post
apparently works great in the Cuttlebug.
hth; Anna Beth

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check into it alittle more.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget19View Post
OK, I think I need help here! I have a Cuttlebug and one spellbinders die, a butterfly one that cuts and has the capability to emboss. I can get it to cut, but the paper gets stuck in the die (and embedded into the plastic). First question, is there a foam pad that I am supposed to have on here to help eject the cut piece? I found out after I tried using the quickutz dies that there was a foam pad in the package for a reason... :oops:
Secondly, how do I emboss? It's definitely going to be different on the CB, does anyone use these on their CB?

Thanks!
Kelly;I copied and pasted the below from the Spellbinders site and also Ellen Hutson's blog on using the SB dies in the CB;

"Cuttlebug�
Capabilities
With the Cuttlebug, you can both cut and emboss Spellbinders Embossing Dies. Results are beautiful J

How-To
Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. A plate
2. C plate
3. Spellbinders die face up (rough side up)
4. Paper or cardstock
5. B plate

Run through Cuttlebug machine.

Embossing Spellbinders Dies in the Cuttlebug- (Stack from bottom up)
1. A plate
2. B plate
3. Die face up (with die cut still in die)
4. 3 pieces of cardstock
5. 1 Spellbinders tan polymer mat
6. 2nd B plate

Run through Cuttlebug machine"

I'm sorry that I can't help you with your question as I am waiting for the nestabilities to come out before purchasing a SB die. I'm hoping the Spellbinders experts will hopefully see your question and answer it. Or, what you can do, is PM them. I did do that with Kim, and she was so helpful!

HTH; Anna Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
Hi Nancy; I should have answered your question more thoroughly, sorry about that.
Here is a link to Ellen Hutson's blog;
http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/

Scroll down to July 11 entry, that's where she starts talking about the SB dies. Keep on reading, and you'll see she's posted machine compatabilities...Big Shot, Quick Kutz, CB....this info can also be found on the SB web site.
Hope this links you to the answers you are looking for
Anna Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Talking

If anybody is interested in the Spellbinders...check out Nichole's blog. She shows us details on how to use the Spellbinders w/ the Cuttlebug. The tutorial is great! http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/

Love stamping...scrapbooking...knitting...anything crafty!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 AM   #32  
lfw
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy2kidsView Post
If anybody is interested in the Spellbinders...check out Nichole's blog. She shows us details on how to use the Spellbinders w/ the Cuttlebug. The tutorial is great! http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capture_the_moment/
Goldie:

Thanks, this really gives me a better understanding how it works...What a great tutorial!!!!:-D

SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Anyone interested in comparisons and what die cutter machines work with spellbinders awesome dies needs to check out nicholeheady.typepad.com the {capture the moment} blog. You can also get to the blog through papertreyink.com. She has been breaking down all the info you need over the past few days and papertrey has amazing stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes