Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree292Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #241
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola G. View Post
I've got one of the "correct" ones coming to me in a couple of weeks from Frantic Stamper. Every video I'm watching has a right-handed person using the tool, and I'm not able to think of a way that my left-handed self will be able to make it work (I'm not ambidextrous with things like this). Can anyone here tell me if I'm missing something?
I am not left-handed but have a bunch of family members who are. My whole life I have watched them adapt to a right-handed world and am inspired by how many challenges they conquer. I wonder if you could turn the board upside down, measure, punch, and then score from the bottom up??? It probably wouldn't work, but maybe... It sounds like a pretty fun tool, so I hope you figure out a way to use it, too. Good luck!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #242
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie* View Post
I am not left-handed but have a bunch of family members who are. My whole life I have watched them adapt to a right-handed world and am inspired by how many challenges they conquer. I wonder if you could turn the board upside down, measure, punch, and then score from the bottom up??? It probably wouldn't work, but maybe... It sounds like a pretty fun tool, so I hope you figure out a way to use it, too. Good luck!
I appreciate your idea -- I'm trying to figure out if I want to go through the dance that would be required, or just relinquish mine to a right-handed person who might enjoy it more...
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #243
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola G. View Post
I appreciate your idea -- I'm trying to figure out if I want to go through the dance that would be required, or just relinquish mine to a right-handed person who might enjoy it more...
Lola, I've had my punch for a week or so, and want everyone to have this great little tool!

I'm right handed, and not ambidextrous - ha! Not at all. I just now got my punch out, and made an envelope pretty easily using my left hand, to see what it might be like for you.

I didn't even turn it upside down, just angled it down slightly on the score line side when doing the score line with my left hand. The punch part is easy to use with either hand. Rotating the paper is done with both hands, so we should be even there, lol.

I think you will have no trouble at all using the envelope punch, if I could do it with my left hand - and I'm not even left-handed.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #244
Mad Swapper

Well I'm whack! I am still having fun with this after a week! It's just fun and easy using this tool.
Some would say it doesn't take much to excite me, lol Can't wait to get more reviews from those waiting...may find some fellow "whacks" in the near future!!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #245
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juble View Post
Well I'm whack! I am still having fun with this after a week! It's just fun and easy using this tool.
Some would say it doesn't take much to excite me, lol Can't wait to get more reviews from those waiting...may find some fellow "whacks" in the near future!!
Julie, I'm ooooold, and turns out I'm "whack", too. (I'm so old I had to go to the urban dictionary to find out what "whack" means.)

The thing about this little gadget is that it's so convenient, with everything you need in one small little piece of durable plastic.

I have the Martha Stewart Score Board and envie template, and I've made lots of envelopes with it. But it is big, and you have to get the template out of the back of it, put it on the board, and then find your other score tool, because hers is not very good.

Then there is cutting the corners out with scissors, and then finding your corner rounder and doing the corners.

I love this as much as I love my Cuttlebug, and I love my Cuttlebug a lot!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #246
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Lola, I've had my punch for a week or so, and want everyone to have this great little tool!

I'm right handed, and not ambidextrous - ha! Not at all. I just now got my punch out, and made an envelope pretty easily using my left hand, to see what it might be like for you.

I didn't even turn it upside down, just angled it down slightly on the score line side when doing the score line with my left hand. The punch part is easy to use with either hand. Rotating the paper is done with both hands, so we should be even there, lol.

I think you will have no trouble at all using the envelope punch, if I could do it with my left hand - and I'm not even left-handed.
I am so touched by your kind efforts to encourage me with this obviously the wonderful quote in your signature is something you put into practice here, and I can't thank you enough! If you've made that effort on my behalf (and any other lefties who may read this), I certainly need to do my part and at least give it a try. If I love it, I'll join your campaign to encourage everyone to get their hands on one!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #247
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Julie, I'm ooooold, and turns out I'm "whack", too. (I'm so old I had to go to the urban dictionary to find out what "whack" means.)

The thing about this little gadget is that it's so convenient, with everything you need in one small little piece of durable plastic.

I have the Martha Stewart Score Board and envie template, and I've made lots of envelopes with it. But it is big, and you have to get the template out of the back of it, put it on the board, and then find your other score tool, because hers is not very good.

Then there is cutting the corners out with scissors, and then finding your corner rounder and doing the corners.

I love this as much as I love my Cuttlebug, and I love my Cuttlebug a lot!
Awesome
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #248
Compulsive Stamper

HSN sold out of the envelope punch tonight. Mine is on it's way-can't wait!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #249
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper22 View Post
HSN sold out of the envelope punch tonight. Mine is on it's way-can't wait!!!!!!
That's great. I know you will love it. HSN is usually pretty quick about shipping.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #250
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm thinking that if I place an order (still haven't because I want the updated version) that I will make sure I order from a site where I can comment that is the version I am ordering otherwise there is always the risk that it could be the last one of the original version on the shelf or one returned etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #251
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMeg View Post
Is there a specific date after which I should place an order that will assure I get the updated envelope board? I want one (of course!), but definitely one that has the correct measurements.

Thanks for all the info here!
I haven't heard any dates to order to make sure you get a corrected one. Maybe someone else has??

I am curious, though. Does anyone know how many corrections were made? I am assuming it was on two or three? Am I right?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #252
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I haven't heard any dates to order to make sure you get a corrected one. Maybe someone else has??

I am curious, though. Does anyone know how many corrections were made? I am assuming it was on two or three? Am I right?
Kathy, for you, and all those others concerned about the "correct" measurements, I just printed out the new, corrected measurement chart, and compared it to the measurements on the Envelope Punch I have.

There are quite a few changes, both in paper size and scoring measurements. 16 changes, to be exact, affecting 12 envelope sizes.

Now, most of the changes are tiny, amounting to 1/8 or 1/4 inch. I won't list them all - there are too many. They apply to odd size envelopes that I will never make anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Here is an example: Envelope size 3-1/2 x 7: Paper size went from 8-3/4 to 8-5/8. That is only a 1/8 difference. The score line on this size went from 3-1/4 to 3. That is a 1/4 difference. It is highly unlikely I will ever make a 3-1/2 x 7 card, but I have the printed revised chart should I ever need it.

I am a creature of habit, and 99% of the time I make A2 size cards, which I have the right measurements for. Very occasionally I make a 5 x 7 card, and that measurement is correct.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #253
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Bugga. I didn't realize there were that many changes, but I have printed out the chart too. If I get the one with the wrong measurements, then I will probably tape/laminate the new chart onto the board, just so I know where it is. I'm like you, will mostly be doing the A2 card size....
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #254
Insane Embellisher

Hearing of all these mistakes AND that they couldn't get this RIGHT from the beginning on a new product is VERY DISHEARTENING! I COULDN'T PAY FULL PRICE for a flawed tool! Are they going to CORRECT THIS so others don't have to go back & laminate the correct measurements on later? I was SO HYPED about this product & now I'm NOT PLANNING on getting it till I see they CORRECT THEIR MISTAKES!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #255
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sure I read on a previous page the corrected version would be available from the end of the month.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #256
Insane Embellisher

I opted for the "flawed" version; I'm not perfect, so we should work well together!! Seems like it'll be an easy fix, and I'm excited to begin using it.

Love the adjustments some of you have suggested on earlier posts for those embellished cards - what a great idea. I'll have to make the note to attach to the board so I don't forget. Thank you for sharing that.......
Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #257
Rubber Obsessor

Mine is on its way and it's got the incorrect measurements. So it's going to get a little help from the Xyron machine. I'll be printing the revised chart then running it through the Xyron to laminate with adhesive.

One craft tool helping another - awww.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #258
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2retire View Post
Mine is on its way and it's got the incorrect measurements. So it's going to get a little help from the Xyron machine. I'll be printing the revised chart then running it through the Xyron to laminate with adhesive.

One craft tool helping another - awww.
What a terrific idea!!! On Sesame Street they would call that "cooperation"!!! hee hee

My Xyron machine is the smaller one for ribbons, etc. so I doubt I can squeeze the chart in mine, but I love your idea just the same!! I guess I'm going to have to stick to the packing tape or get Office Depot/Staples to do it for me.... They offer that service, don't they?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #259
Compulsive Stamper

Got mine today and LOVE it!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #260
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamper22 View Post
Got mine today and LOVE it!
Told ya!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #261
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Told ya!
What she said!!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #262
Forum Fanatic

Got mine today from HSN. It came with a big pack of paper and some sticky strip. I just made a few thank you cards (yes, I take way too long to send out thank yous) so I will make some envelopes even though I have a few A2 size ones on hand anyway.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #263
Rubber Obsessor

By the way, Canadians -- I asked Sheila at Scrapping Great Deals (terrific online store) and she'll be carrying it! Great news for me! Now to be patient until it comes in.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #264
Mad Swapper

Got a notification from Fran (I think) at Frantic Stamper. She said that she had some of the Envelope Punch that need the revised measurement chart (which she included as an attachment) and did I want one. I am a little OCD about paying full price than having to make adjustments. (I guess SU clear stamps are the exceptions) Should I wait until April or get one now? Does using a Xyron work? I have a 5" one. Would it be easy to stick the revised chart on straight? See I admitted, up front, that I am a little OCD!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #265
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life View Post
Got a notification from Fran (I think) at Frantic Stamper. She said that she had some of the Envelope Punch that need the revised measurement chart (which she included as an attachment) and did I want one. I am a little OCD about paying full price than having to make adjustments. (I guess SU clear stamps are the exceptions) Should I wait until April or get one now? Does using a Xyron work? I have a 5" one. Would it be easy to stick the revised chart on straight? See I admitted, up front, that I am a little OCD!
Check out youtube. There is a guy there who put his on. I think he is known as the gentleman crafter or something to that effect...If I can find that particular one, I will link it for you.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #266
Proud Fan Club Member

I found the tutorial. Jim, the Gentleman Crafter on youtube. He shows how he put the fix on his board. I would take either one, just patiently waiting!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #267
Mad Swapper

Thank you for the link. I still have to think about this. The items I have had laminated are a little thicker so do you think adding a laminated chart will 'catch' your paper when you are using the Envelope Punch. I know some people would not be bothered but..... (OCD person sitting on my shoulder whispering in my ear.)

After reading how everyone is so enthusiastic about this new tool, I want to use one yesterday. This is what you call dithering!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #268
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life View Post
Thank you for the link. I still have to think about this. The items I have had laminated are a little thicker so do you think adding a laminated chart will 'catch' your paper when you are using the Envelope Punch. I know some people would not be bothered but..... (OCD person sitting on my shoulder whispering in my ear.)

After reading how everyone is so enthusiastic about this new tool, I want to use one yesterday. This is what you call dithering!
I'm a bit OCD too, so I know where you are coming from. I don't think I would laminate, I think I would use a good wide packing tape and cut the edges smoothly. I want this board so much that I think I wouldn't mind fixing it. I can always get another and pass the first one along to friends who aren't OCD. Having said that, mine is on preorder for mid to late April, so I am thinking I will probably get the new version. I did print off the "fix" onto cardstock and it looks like it is a perfect fit for size.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #269
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I found the tutorial. Jim, the Gentleman Crafter on youtube. He shows how he put the fix on his board. I would take either one, just patiently waiting!
I just watched his "fix" on the video. I printed out the new revised chart, and unless you are great at resizing PDF's, it prints quite a bit larger than the chart on the board. I placed it over the chart on my board, and it covered up the chart, and also some other printing on the board. As printed, it also extended nearly to the groove on the right side where you score.

You guys can all make your own decisions, of course, but I personally would not want to "mess up" my perfectly smooth board by attaching another chart on top with tape. That never really lasts very long, and then you have sticky residue to deal with.

As I said in an earlier post, the revised measurements are really tiny adjustments, 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch, and are mostly for very odd sized envelopes that probably most of us would never even make.

If you have a board with the original measurements, it makes sense to me to print the revised chart, keep it handy, and refer to it on the slim (for me, anyway) chance that you really need to make an envelope for a card that is 3-1/2 x 7-1/2 or 3 x 8-1/2.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #270
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks, Bugga. I don't have the board so I couldn't see how it compared in size. I sure wouldn't want to shrink the chart because it's hard enough to read now. Maybe it could be attached to the back of the board somehow? As I said, I don't have the board, so I can't tell yet. My chart printed out at 6 5/8 x 3 1/4. Is that what yours is too? Wasn't sure if it was a difference in printers, or what....just curious.

Last edited by muscrat; 02-14-2013 at 03:26 PM..
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #271
Watercolor Wizard

Okay, Kathy, you know I've gotten fond of you - because I'm not a numbers person, but I'm really trying here, lol.

I'm quoting myself below, because, duh, I cut out the chart I printed and cut around the dark border - not just the chart. So, of course, it covered up the original chart when I placed it on my board.

"I just watched his "fix" on the video. I printed out the new revised chart, and unless you are great at resizing PDF's, it prints quite a bit larger than the chart on the board. I placed it over the chart on my board, and it covered up the chart, and also some other printing on the board. As printed, it also extended nearly to the groove on the right side where you score."

Bolded statement above is not true.

New, revised measurements for the new, revised chart I printed out are 3 x 6-11/16, just 1/16th different than the 6-5/8 you measured.

The chart on the board measures 3 x 6-11/16. The chart I printed measures 3 x 6-11/16. Perfect fit!

Even so, I don't plan to tape the new chart over my board, for the reasons I mentioned. I will just keep it with the board to refer to if I need it.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #272
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes. Im a numbers kind of gal. Thanks for being patient with me! I can't help being excited no. Matter which board i get!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #273
Forum Fanatic

I tried mine last night and wow-that is so easy!! Thanks, Bugga, for the new specs for A2 size. They came out perfect!! And I got rid of some old paper that I know I'll never use (I have to confess-I threw away that 3.5" strip that I cut off).

eta: I got the old board. The board did come with a sticker for metric so it would be nice if we could get a real sticker (glossy and all that) for the new US measurements.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #274
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I tried mine last night and wow-that is so easy!! Thanks, Bugga, for the new specs for A2 size. They came out perfect!! And I got rid of some old paper that I know I'll never use (I have to confess-I threw away that 3.5" strip that I cut off).

eta: I got the old board. The board did come with a sticker for metric so it would be nice if we could get a real sticker (glossy and all that) for the new US measurements.
Oh good, Gale. So glad you like it. And I have to confess, I am such a "hoarder" that I can't throw away those strips, lol. I usually cut them in half and keep them by my phone to jot messages on.

It always amazes me that I live in a "sea of paper", and I can never find something to write on when I need it. I end up writing numbers on the back of envelopes from bills left on the kitchen table, or even in the margins of my daily newspaper that is sitting there.

Stampnnatter likes this post.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #275
Stazon Splitcoast

Really what my new little buddy to show up......insert foot tap here......
Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #276
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Oh good, Gale. So glad you like it. And I have to confess, I am such a "hoarder" that I can't throw away those strips, lol. I usually cut them in half and keep them by my phone to jot messages on.

It always amazes me that I live in a "sea of paper", and I can never find something to write on when I need it. I end up writing numbers on the back of envelopes from bills left on the kitchen table, or even in the margins of my daily newspaper that is sitting there.

I like that idea. Maybe I'll save them up and when I get a good pile, staple the end and keep them by the computer and the phone. Most of the ones i used last night were that shiny paper so they wouldn't have been too good for scratch paper anyway.

Oh also, if they're left long they could be used for grocery lists. Even though I have apps for that, I usually end up just writing a list.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #277
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
I like that idea. Maybe I'll save them up and when I get a good pile, staple the end and keep them by the computer and the phone. Most of the ones i used last night were that shiny paper so they wouldn't have been too good for scratch paper anyway.

Oh also, if they're left long they could be used for grocery lists. Even though I have apps for that, I usually end up just writing a list.
Yes, great for grocery lists. When you "lose" them in your purse, the pattern paper really shows up!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #278
Stazon Splitcoast

So no decorative bands at the bottom of the card to marry it to the envelope?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #279
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
So no decorative bands at the bottom of the card to marry it to the envelope?
If I was using the same paper for a card, and then matching the envie, I probably would tie them together.

I plan on making lots of envelopes to use up that stuff in the paper packs I've not used for my cards. My motto for day in, day out envelopes is that any pattern is more exciting inside an envelope than plain white.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #280
Kookie Creator

"I just watched his "fix" on the video. I printed out the new revised chart, and unless you are great at resizing PDF's, it prints quite a bit larger than the chart on the board. I placed it over the chart on my board, and it covered up the chart, and also some other printing on the board. As printed, it also extended nearly to the groove on the right side where you score."

Bolded statement above is not true.

I thought I was quoting the above person but I see it didn't work. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I printed it out and it's definitely bigger than the chart on the board. How do you get it to print at the correct size?

Karen