In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree297Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #841
Crimping Master
 
TLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,062
Default

THANK YOU sharron246! I WONDERED if one couldn't make some of these things with this board!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I am in HEAVEN!!!!!!!! THANKS TO YOU!!!
"HAPPY THANKSGIVING" EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Visitmy blog and my gallery
TLady is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #842
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: England
Posts: 464
Default

I know just put Envelope Punch board into utube and waste a few hours...xxx
__________________
http://gspcrafts.blogspot.com/
sharron246 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #843
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,518
Default

Thanks for the link. I've subscribed to her channel.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #844
Creative Crew SU Design Team
 
sc magnolia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharron246 View Post
Stampin' Up! ADVENT COUNTDOWN 11 Envelope Punch Board Candy Cane Box - YouTube


this lady has loads and loads of how to's. and to be honest she has boxes bags and lots to make with the board. have ordered it of course.
Oh that's Sam! She makes amazing custom boxes too. In Britain they call custom made- "besoke," so Sam's are bespoke boxes.
__________________
My SU Website~Carole Parsons
My Blog
sc magnolia is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:35 AM   #845
Stazon Splitcoast
 
RiverIsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 21,988
Default

Finally made my 1st, 2nd and 3rd envelopes. Thanks for the fix on the A2 ladies. Worked like a charm.
__________________
Kristen KrikeyKreations thru Sep 17, 2014 *NEW UPDATES*
0 Design Teams, 0 Sales Pitches, some challenges, simple blogging about my paper addiction, inspirations, aspirations & when it all goes wrong
RiverIsis is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #846
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
Finally made my 1st, 2nd and 3rd envelopes. Thanks for the fix on the A2 ladies. Worked like a charm.
I am delighted to hear that, Kristen. I've been worried that you wouldn't ever make any envelopes....And you were the one who started this whole ginormous thread with 850 posts a year ago! You sure know how to get a conversation going!
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #847
Stazon Splitcoast
 
RiverIsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 21,988
Default

Planning on using it for my Christmas cards and envelopes.
__________________
Kristen KrikeyKreations thru Sep 17, 2014 *NEW UPDATES*
0 Design Teams, 0 Sales Pitches, some challenges, simple blogging about my paper addiction, inspirations, aspirations & when it all goes wrong
RiverIsis is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #848
Hardware Hotshot
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,907
Default

I finally used mine to make envelopes for my Thanksgiving cards The cards were 4"-ish by 6"ish. I was able to make an envelope to fit without any problem.

Since I make cards in various sizes, I'm really happy with this tool.
__________________
Denise

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
― Spider Robinson
ceramicat1 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #849
Stazon Splitcoast
 
RiverIsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 21,988
Default

Planning on using it for my Christmas cards and envelopes.
__________________
Kristen KrikeyKreations thru Sep 17, 2014 *NEW UPDATES*
0 Design Teams, 0 Sales Pitches, some challenges, simple blogging about my paper addiction, inspirations, aspirations & when it all goes wrong
RiverIsis is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
muscrat likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #850
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
Default Envelope punch board paper

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the best paper to use when creating envelopes with the punch board? I seem to be having an issue with the paper ripping or cracking when I score it. I'm not using heavy pressure, but it still seems to be causing me issues. Any suggestions on specific paper that everyone uses would be very helpful. I have several cards that need envelopes and would like to utilize my punch board more.
Thanks for the help!
Cara
Soapspud is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #851
Rubber Obsessor
 
Ambelleina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 138
Default

Mine actually came with a paper pack; it's 12x12 cardstock, but on the thin side.
__________________
Ambelleina is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #852
Gabfest Goddess
 
stamphappy1650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapspud View Post
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the best paper to use when creating envelopes with the punch board? I seem to be having an issue with the paper ripping or cracking when I score it. I'm not using heavy pressure, but it still seems to be causing me issues. Any suggestions on specific paper that everyone uses would be very helpful. I have several cards that need envelopes and would like to utilize my punch board more.
Thanks for the help!
Cara
I don't use cardstock. I've pulled out all my thin scrapbook paper and score lightly and have no problems. Think of weight of the paper as the same as envelopes you would buy. A good thing is that I was not using the thin paper so it gives me a way to use it up.

If you use the envelope board to make boxes then use regular cardstock. There are some cardstock, especially if they have a shiny coating, that cracks no matter what I do.
__________________
My Gallery
stamphappy1650 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #853
Crimping Master
 
TLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,062
Default

SOMEONE, on this thread recommended using 24 lb./weight paper for envelopes---they come out like the kind you would buy. That's what I bought & I LOVE IT!!! Check Wal-Mart! AND when making your envelopes, do what has been said before, use a light hand when scoring!
__________________
Visitmy blog and my gallery
TLady is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #854
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapspud View Post
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend the best paper to use when creating envelopes with the punch board? I seem to be having an issue with the paper ripping or cracking when I score it. I'm not using heavy pressure, but it still seems to be causing me issues. Any suggestions on specific paper that everyone uses would be very helpful. I have several cards that need envelopes and would like to utilize my punch board more.
Thanks for the help!
Cara
I have quite a few of the large "stack packs" of patterned paper, the kind that has 180 sheets and costs about $20. I usually get them on sale at Hobby Lobby for 50% off, and Michaels and Joann's carry this kind of paper, too. The paper is a thinner weight and works beautifully for envelopes. You can put the pattern inside, and have a white outside for the address. If you are adventuresome, you can put the pattern outside, and use a label for the address.
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis and SharonG28 like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #855
Proud Fan Club Member
 
muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 19,526
Default

Even if you only get one envelope per sheet, envelopes are a bargain. You can get 500 out of a ream of paper and at Walmart 24 lb. is under $5. I use the 110 lb. cardstock at walmart that is $5.48 for 150, which is also a bargain for 150 envelopes.
__________________
Kathy
QFTD211
S2S2014 Challenge $96.21
Winners Post
muscrat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #856
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 1,236
Default

Marco's sells some selections of text weight paper suited to the Envelope Punch Board: We R Memory Keepers - Marco's Paper
GypsyRoseStamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #857
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions. I'll have to check out that lighter weight paper at Walmart. Sounds like that will be a good place to start.
Soapspud is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #858
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,518
Default

Has anyone tried making a 4.5 x 6.5 envelope from an 8.5 x 8.5 square? It says to use 8-7/8 but I am hoping to use printer paper. I'll have to do some experimenting tonight.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #859
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Has anyone tried making a 4.5 x 6.5 envelope from an 8.5 x 8.5 square? It says to use 8-7/8 but I am hoping to use printer paper. I'll have to do some experimenting tonight.
HELP, Ladies! HELP! QUICK!

Sure hope you get an answer QUICK because I am in the same boat with you!! I need a bunch of envelopes for a 4 1/4 X 6 1/4 and have tried a bunch of different markings and nothing has worked so far. I would love to use the printer paper also but I have even tried the 8 7/8 square from a 12 X 12 and it was a bit too big. Ugg.
PJill is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #860
Matboard Maniac
 
jeffnval's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bedford TX
Posts: 270
Default

I was also in need of a bit of help.
I was trying to make envelopes for the inside of my 6x6 paper pads. You know...to put the scraps in to keep inside the cover.
I am not able to make one just right. It is either too wide or a bit too short for 6 inch scraps to fit in.
Has anyone made a 6x6 that is actually 6 inches and not bigger to fit a 6 inch card?

Valerie
__________________
Crafty MOM of 3 girls
jeffnval is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #861
Stampin' Fool
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnval View Post
I was also in need of a bit of help.
I was trying to make envelopes for the inside of my 6x6 paper pads. You know...to put the scraps in to keep inside the cover.
I am not able to make one just right. It is either too wide or a bit too short for 6 inch scraps to fit in.
Has anyone made a 6x6 that is actually 6 inches and not bigger to fit a 6 inch card?

Valerie
I just made one that is perfectly square and cut a piece of cs to 6 X 6 and it was like a perfect fit. (It was probably 1/16" bigger to hold more than one piece of paper but if it was right on the 6 X 6 it would be hard to get anything in it.) I am using the We R Mem. Keepers board and I used the dimensions for the 6 X 6 card. Love this little gadget.

And, Gale, I tried everything and I couldn't get one to work out of an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper. Had to give in and use a 12 X 12. But I had a huge stack of white that I had removed from scrapbook pockets when I made pages that were tight. Still hoping someone comes up with one but I don't see how it will work. I went to the internet and found an equation that works for all sizes, using the score pal.
It was at:

http://www.scor-pal.com/envelope/Sco...20tutorial.pdf

I felt the width was perfect but it was a single sheet card so it had a bit of 'play' in the top so I subtracted 1/4" from the measurement for the second score line. It's a perfect fit. I just made 30 envelopes in a short time.
PJill is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #862
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJill View Post
I just made one that is perfectly square and cut a piece of cs to 6 X 6 and it was like a perfect fit. (It was probably 1/16" bigger to hold more than one piece of paper but if it was right on the 6 X 6 it would be hard to get anything in it.) I am using the We R Mem. Keepers board and I used the dimensions for the 6 X 6 card. Love this little gadget.

And, Gale, I tried everything and I couldn't get one to work out of an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper. Had to give in and use a 12 X 12. But I had a huge stack of white that I had removed from scrapbook pockets when I made pages that were tight. Still hoping someone comes up with one but I don't see how it will work. I went to the internet and found an equation that works for all sizes, using the score pal.
It was at:

http://www.scor-pal.com/envelope/Sco...20tutorial.pdf

I felt the width was perfect but it was a single sheet card so it had a bit of 'play' in the top so I subtracted 1/4" from the measurement for the second score line. It's a perfect fit. I just made 30 envelopes in a short time.
Thanks. I'll probably just use some of the 12 x 12 paper stack papers that I know I'll never use otherwise. I have about 40 to make and I really want to use my envelope punch.
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #863
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 5
Default

So many of my finished envelopes just don't line up right. I am getting very discouraged with this tool.
SharonG28 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #864
Gabfest Goddess
 
stamphappy1650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonG28 View Post
So many of my finished envelopes just don't line up right. I am getting very discouraged with this tool.
Can you give a little explanation about what is not right so we can help.
__________________
My Gallery
stamphappy1650 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
muscrat likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #865
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 1,236
Default

Sharon, besides the standard rule of being very careful about the initial measurement and the lining up with the scores, you might want to try this. After the initial punch and score, turn your paper 180 degrees and measure and score the opposite end. Then proceed the normal way with lining up and scoring the remaining two sides.
GypsyRoseStamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis and SharonG28 like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 AM   #866
Cardstock Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 5
Default

I am very careful in my measurements, but the "corners" of the paper don't meet evenly and often the card is not the exact size it should be.
SharonG28 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #867
Stazon Splitcoast
 
RiverIsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 21,988
Default

I like the turn 180 method too. I noticed that although I was careful that my envelopes are more in squared off if I measure th opposite sides.
__________________
Kristen KrikeyKreations thru Sep 17, 2014 *NEW UPDATES*
0 Design Teams, 0 Sales Pitches, some challenges, simple blogging about my paper addiction, inspirations, aspirations & when it all goes wrong
RiverIsis is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
SharonG28 likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #868
Crimping Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Old Pueblo
Posts: 1,236
Default

A word to the wise:

Some of my envelopes are made with very dark paper; so I need a label for the address. I cut some Cricut decorative labels from adhesive cardstock and thought that would be a nice alternative. The first card that went through the mail (with a check, no less!) almost got lost in the postal system. The label got caught in their machines. Fortunately, it did reach its destination, just a few days late with an explanation from the post office. I've gone back to using the regular computer adhesive labels to play it safe. If I use a cardstock label again, I must remind myself to brayer or burnish it as well.
GypsyRoseStamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #869
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: England
Posts: 464
Default

I just bought the gift box maker one, realised you can make the coin pocket style ones with it. It means I will get lovely long shaped edges for the top of my envelope...
Also I can make envelopes that are long and thin for any card, just by making it about 1/4" wider than the card, Love the new tools.
__________________
http://gspcrafts.blogspot.com/
sharron246 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
muscrat likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #870
Crimping Master
 
Iluvcards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SW Ohio 45371
Posts: 1,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamper View Post
A word to the wise:

Some of my envelopes are made with very dark paper; so I need a label for the address. I cut some Cricut decorative labels from adhesive cardstock and thought that would be a nice alternative. The first card that went through the mail (with a check, no less!) almost got lost in the postal system. The label got caught in their machines. Fortunately, it did reach its destination, just a few days late with an explanation from the post office. I've gone back to using the regular computer adhesive labels to play it safe. If I use a cardstock label again, I must remind myself to brayer or burnish it as well.
Thanks for the heads up.....
__________________
http:www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=37753

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Iluvcards is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #871
Kookie Creator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: England
Posts: 464
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Has anyone tried making a 4.5 x 6.5 envelope from an 8.5 x 8.5 square? It says to use 8-7/8 but I am hoping to use printer paper. I'll have to do some experimenting tonight.

Ok you can do this but it take a bit of a trick...

Ok take your 8.5 square and think of the corners as going round a b c d..

Punch 3 1/2 on a score flip the paper over and punch 3 1/2 again.

now do the same too corner c...

on Corner b score at a smidge past 5" score flip and repeat to punch. Rotate and punch at just past 5" again on corner d.. flip repeat. you get a slightly different cut out but when folded it works...

You do know there is a much easier way to do this don't you... LOL
Trim a 1/4" of the card instead...
__________________
http://gspcrafts.blogspot.com/
sharron246 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #872
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,318
Default

I've created a tool for myself to use on those very rare occasions when I want the pattern on my paper to show in a specific place on my envelope (or when I want to make sure the pattern is oriented a certain way).

I cut a sheet of paper to the 8" square, marked my first corner "A", and followed the directions to score for an A2 card (first score at 3-1/2"), but didn't punch. Then I used an Xacto knife to cut out the scored rectangle from the center of the sheet, making a window. I glued this paper template down to a piece of matboard and cut it out; when I cut the window in the matboard, I actually cut it about 1/4" smaller on each edge, to give the whole thing a little more stability.

Now I can take this template and put it over my patterned paper and see exactly what is going to show up on the front of my envelope. Once it's lined up, you can trace around the outside square so you have guides for cutting your paper down to 8" square - keep track of your "A" corner, so that your orientation stays the same.

You'd have to make a separate template for each envelope size that you use often, but if the alignment or direction of the pattern of the paper is important to you, this works.
__________________
~~Cheryl, with a "C"
cbet is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #873
Proud Fan Club Member
 
muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 19,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbet View Post
I've created a tool for myself to use on those very rare occasions when I want the pattern on my paper to show in a specific place on my envelope (or when I want to make sure the pattern is oriented a certain way).

I cut a sheet of paper to the 8" square, marked my first corner "A", and followed the directions to score for an A2 card (first score at 3-1/2"), but didn't punch. Then I used an Xacto knife to cut out the scored rectangle from the center of the sheet, making a window. I glued this paper template down to a piece of matboard and cut it out; when I cut the window in the matboard, I actually cut it about 1/4" smaller on each edge, to give the whole thing a little more stability.

Now I can take this template and put it over my patterned paper and see exactly what is going to show up on the front of my envelope. Once it's lined up, you can trace around the outside square so you have guides for cutting your paper down to 8" square - keep track of your "A" corner, so that your orientation stays the same.

You'd have to make a separate template for each envelope size that you use often, but if the alignment or direction of the pattern of the paper is important to you, this works.
I followed your directions and made the template. Haven't tried it yet, but will soon. Thanks for sharing!
__________________
Kathy
QFTD211
S2S2014 Challenge $96.21
Winners Post
muscrat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #874
Proud Fan Club Member
 
muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 19,526
Default

I'm not sure what to do with template. The way I'm working it it doesn't seem to be much better than without the template so I must be doing something wrong. Could you take a picture of the template on your paper? I'm a visual learner.
__________________
Kathy
QFTD211
S2S2014 Challenge $96.21
Winners Post
muscrat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #875
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I'm not sure what to do with template. The way I'm working it it doesn't seem to be much better than without the template so I must be doing something wrong. Could you take a picture of the template on your paper? I'm a visual learner.
I'm at work right now and I don't have it with me - but I'll be happy to do it when I get back home.
__________________
~~Cheryl, with a "C"
cbet is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #876
Proud Fan Club Member
 
muscrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central PA
Posts: 19,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbet View Post
I'm at work right now and I don't have it with me - but I'll be happy to do it when I get back home.
Thank you! I'll check back later!
__________________
Kathy
QFTD211
S2S2014 Challenge $96.21
Winners Post
muscrat is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #877
Stazon Splitcoast
 
RiverIsis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Walking the Moon, aMUSEd in funKY town
Posts: 21,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamper View Post
A word to the wise:

Some of my envelopes are made with very dark paper; so I need a label for the address. I cut some Cricut decorative labels from adhesive cardstock and thought that would be a nice alternative. The first card that went through the mail (with a check, no less!) almost got lost in the postal system. The label got caught in their machines. Fortunately, it did reach its destination, just a few days late with an explanation from the post office. I've gone back to using the regular computer adhesive labels to play it safe. If I use a cardstock label again, I must remind myself to brayer or burnish it as well.
That's the sort of situation I love putting the card/envelope through a cuttlebug or any other manual die cutter that exerts pressure. One slow pass all the way and the two taped together pieces of card stock and they are pretty much forever joined.
__________________
Kristen KrikeyKreations thru Sep 17, 2014 *NEW UPDATES*
0 Design Teams, 0 Sales Pitches, some challenges, simple blogging about my paper addiction, inspirations, aspirations & when it all goes wrong
RiverIsis is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #878
Watercolor Wizard
 
buggainok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 8,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverIsis View Post
That's the sort of situation I love putting the card/envelope through a cuttlebug or any other manual die cutter that exerts pressure. One slow pass all the way and the two taped together pieces of card stock and they are pretty much forever joined.
What a great tip! Thanks.

By the way Kristen, every time I open this thread, I remember that you started it almost a year ago!
__________________
Bugga in OK

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
buggainok is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #879
Pearl-ExPert
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 2,318
Default

Ok, Kathy - I have pictures.

Photo 1 is the paper I'm using. I want the stripe to run up the side of the envelope. If I use the paper as is, the stripe is going to go across at a weird angle.

Photo 2 shows the template in place, with the stripe showing thru the window where I want it. I mark my "A" corner, and trace around the template and cut out my square. (What works best is extending the lines with a ruler and cutting with a trimmer or paper cutter; and double check that your final square is true to size. Tracing around the template actually gives you a square a little bigger than you want.)

Photo 3 is the completed envelope. This one is just a tiny bit wonky, because I threw it together in a hurry and didn't double check to make sure my final square was really 8". But see how the stripe is where I wanted it?

Any other questions, just give a yell I've only done one template for my A2 envies, since that's what I usually make, but this should work for all the sizes.
Attached Thumbnails
pc140091.jpg   pc140092.jpg   pc140094.jpg  
__________________
~~Cheryl, with a "C"
cbet is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
RiverIsis likes this post.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #880
Forum Fanatic
 
gale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,518
Default

Oh I love that idea. I have a bunch of old paper that I want to use for envelopes and some look just like the one in your example. Thanks for the pictures!!
__________________
Wash: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
Jayne: "Da*n straight."


my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
gale is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off