Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree303Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #721
Mad Swapper

I've had my Envelope Punch Board for about a month and have made lots of A2 sized envelopes using Bugga's measurements and they have all turned out great. Today I tried making some 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 envelopes and the measurements are way off and my cards had no embellishments on them at all and wouldn't fit in the finished envelope. The measurements for this size were 11 x 11 paper, scored at 4 1/2. I tried another at 11 1/4 x 11 1/4, scored at 4 3/4 and it was larger than I needed but at least the card fit inside. I have a chart and a sticker that came with the board but their measurements are metric which does me no good at all. I emailed a request for the proper corrected sticker and hope it comes soon. I don't think I'll be making many large envelopes since the score line doesn't come to the end of the larger paper, making it difficult to line up the next score line. Guess I'll still have to buy those large size envelopes. I've been making the larger cards to use up more of my huge stash of patterned paper and thought the larger size would use up even more of the stash.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #722
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeinSparks View Post
I've had my Envelope Punch Board for about a month and have made lots of A2 sized envelopes using Bugga's measurements and they have all turned out great. Today I tried making some 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 envelopes and the measurements are way off and my cards had no embellishments on them at all and wouldn't fit in the finished envelope. The measurements for this size were 11 x 11 paper, scored at 4 1/2. I tried another at 11 1/4 x 11 1/4, scored at 4 3/4 and it was larger than I needed but at least the card fit inside. I have a chart and a sticker that came with the board but their measurements are metric which does me no good at all. I emailed a request for the proper corrected sticker and hope it comes soon. I don't think I'll be making many large envelopes since the score line doesn't come to the end of the larger paper, making it difficult to line up the next score line. Guess I'll still have to buy those large size envelopes. I've been making the larger cards to use up more of my huge stash of patterned paper and thought the larger size would use up even more of the stash.
Diane, sorry you had trouble with the larger envelopes. Here is a link to a corrected chart online. You can print it out to go by until you get a corrected sticker:

http://www.weronthenet.com/File/View...5-2d8b6d658ea9

PS the measurements on the corrected chart for the 8-1/2 x 5-1/2 envie are the same as the ones you used. Don't know what's up with that, if yours didn't turn out right.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
DianeinSparks likes this post.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #723
Mad Swapper

Well the reason mine didn't turn out right was due to operator error!!-me! After reading Bugga's PS above, I got out some paper and tried again and was very careful with both my cutting and scoring measurements and the card fit. My first envelope must not have been cut correctly since the finished size was exactly 8 1/2 x 6. Still find it easier to make the smaller sizes but glad to know my Envelope Punch measurements are correct.
Thanks Bugga.
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #724
Matboard Maniac

I agree that the measurements should have been correct from the start. Being the sad person that I am, I am going through all the Sizes and making one up in every size out of scrap paper then I will know exactly how big each one is! You do have to be very accurate with your paper cutting and placement on the board. Still a good product.
buggainok, muscrat and DianeinSparks like this post.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #725
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLady View Post
It's SAD that people have to make THEIR OWN CORRECTIONS to a product that SHOULD HAVE the CORRECT MEASUREMENTS ON IT! BASICALLY, you've paid for a product to have the correct measurements & they DIDN'T put the correct measurements on it! SO SAD that a company is happy with a product that isn't it's best! AND this far into the "game" it STILL HASN'T been corrected! SUPER PRODUCT IDEA, BUT.........!
It has been. Even on videos I have seen some very sloppy user error blamed on the product when it was very obvious user error- if you don't line it up properly you will not get a good envelope.
buggainok likes this post.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #726
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeinSparks View Post
Well the reason mine didn't turn out right was due to operator error!!-me! After reading Bugga's PS above, I got out some paper and tried again and was very careful with both my cutting and scoring measurements and the card fit. My first envelope must not have been cut correctly since the finished size was exactly 8 1/2 x 6. Still find it easier to make the smaller sizes but glad to know my Envelope Punch measurements are correct.
Thanks Bugga.
You're welcome, Diane. After I saw your post, I got out my punch board and made an envelope that size. The one I made was a pretty tight fit, but it did fit the card. I've found it's pretty important to be precise about the cutting, scoring and folding as it makes a difference in the size of the finished envelope. It helps to put the pattern paper face down, and score on the white side, if your paper is not double sided. It's easier to see the first score mark on the white side, so all the following score lines are correct.

The majority of cards I make are standard A2 size which are indeed easier to make. In order to accommodate the really large size envelopes, they would have needed to make the board quite a bit bigger, or create a fold out option for the longer score line. That probably would have increased the cost of the punch and made it a larger tool. I like that it's small and easy to store.

RiverIsis, muscrat and DianeinSparks like this post.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #727
Polyshrink Goddess

Has anyone here made envelopes using plain white printer paper? I know the envelope punch boards are being marketed for use with printed designer papers, but if anyone out there is using plain printer paper please let me know what weight you are using. I would presume that regular 20# copier paper may be too thin (see-through) to use as an envelope material for sending a card in the mail.

Thanks,
Kelli
Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #728
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63 View Post
Has anyone here made envelopes using plain white printer paper? I know the envelope punch boards are being marketed for use with printed designer papers, but if anyone out there is using plain printer paper please let me know what weight you are using. I would presume that regular 20# copier paper may be too thin (see-through) to use as an envelope material for sending a card in the mail.

Thanks,
Kelli
I think I saw that someone said they used copy paper to make envelopes. But I tried it, and didn't think it worked very well. One, the paper is thin, and I'm afraid it wouldn't go through the PO machines unharmed. Two, I found it difficult to score the paper because of its thinness. Then I also had trouble folding the score lines in the right place because I couldn't score it deeply enough to start with. The copy paper I used was 20# from Walmart.

So, I'm going to stick with the patterned papers I have with the white backs. It's the kind that comes in those huge stacks with 180 sheets and is the perfect weight for envelopes in my opinion. Plus, I have lots and lots of it.

If I want a white envelope, I put the pattern inside. If I'm feeling adventuresome, I put the pattern on the outside.

I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are heavier weights of copy-type paper available.

RiverIsis and muscrat like this post.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #729
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Kelli
I just tried 20#. It would be okay to hand deliver a card, but through the mail, it would be too flimsy. 24# may work, but I don't think I have any to try. I will check and post if I find some. I would say that 20# is also to light to score. The paper moves while scoring and then makes your score lines off a bit. And when you try to crease your folds, it sometimes doesn't fold on the lines...too flimsy.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #730
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I think I saw that someone said they used copy paper to make envelopes. But I tried it, and didn't think it worked very well. One, the paper is thin, and I'm afraid it wouldn't go through the PO machines unharmed. Two, I found it difficult to score the paper because of its thinness. Then I also had trouble folding the score lines in the right place because I couldn't score it deeply enough to start with. The copy paper I used was 20# from Walmart.

So, I'm going to stick with the patterned papers I have with the white backs. It's the kind that comes in those huge stacks with 180 sheets and is the perfect weight for envelopes in my opinion. Plus, I have lots and lots of it.

If I want a white envelope, I put the pattern inside. If I'm feeling adventuresome, I put the pattern on the outside.

I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are heavier weights of copy-type paper available.
LOL, great minds think alike!! We basically said the same thing at the same time! LOL
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #731
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the quick replies, Bugga and Muskrat. Where would I find 24#--office supply stores?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #732
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
LOL, great minds think alike!! We basically said the same thing at the same time! LOL
Yes, Kathy - I'm glad you've got my back (and my front, lol.)

We are kindred souls from the start with this envelope punch!

muscrat likes this post.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #733
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies, Bugga and Muskrat. Where would I find 24#--office supply stores?
I think Walmart carries some 24# but I haven't tried that weight, so maybe you would want to test it first...I am thinking it would work, and at least not as flimsy as the 20#.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #734
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Yes, Kathy - I'm glad you've got my back (and my front, lol.)

We are kindred souls from the start with this envelope punch!
It's funny you mention "you've got my back" because just this weekend my friend was telling me her 3 year old grandson (who is diabetic) had got some kind of diabetic, yet tasty, candy and he says to her "grammy, daddy has my back!" LOL He's adorable!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #735
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I think Walmart carries some 24# but I haven't tried that weight, so maybe you would want to test it first...I am thinking it would work, and at least not as flimsy as the 20#.
I made one using 24# and it turned out really nice. I get my copy paper at Wal-Mart.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #736
Stampin' Fool

I am so very hipped--I got one yesterday at Michaels' with a 50% off coupon --first thing I did was use a piece of copy paper just to try it out!! So excited and from what I can tell this one has new measurements--I printed out the PDF the company was offering and went though every line and checked, everything was the same. I am so happy to get this as I have a ton of DSP I can use up. All is good!! I think I have pretty much read all 18 pages of this post since it started. You guys are AWESOME!!!
allee's, buggainok, RiverIsis and 2 others like this post.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #737
Pearl-ExPert

Update on my faulty board. WRMK is sending me out a replacement Glad they're standing behind their product.
buggainok, RiverIsis, muscrat and 2 others like this post.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #738
Matboard Maniac

Does Hobby Lobby sell the envelope punch board?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #739
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1031 View Post
Does Hobby Lobby sell the envelope punch board?
HL just got them in stock. I bought mine there on Friday, used a 40% off coupon. With tax, it was just under $13.00
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #740
Crimping Master

I KNOW there will be certain ones that will want to SMACK me for asking this, BUT have you checked the measurements on the board??? Are they ALL CORRECT???? I know I have been a FIERCE CRITIC of this board because of their BIG MISTAKE in the beginning, BUT I have ALWAYS thought this was a SUPER IDEA & wanted one myself!!!!!!!! HOW do you know if you bought one it will have the CORRECTED MEASUREMENTS???? I REALLY don't want to buy one & then have to download a chart to correct it! I would feel CHEATED!!! $13.00 is a GREAT PRICE with the coupon!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #741
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I KNOW there will be certain ones that will want to SMACK me for asking this, BUT have you checked the measurements on the board??? Are they ALL CORRECT???? I know I have been a FIERCE CRITIC of this board because of their BIG MISTAKE in the beginning, BUT I have ALWAYS thought this was a SUPER IDEA & wanted one myself!!!!!!!! HOW do you know if you bought one it will have the CORRECTED MEASUREMENTS???? I REALLY don't want to buy one & then have to download a chart to correct it! I would feel CHEATED!!! $13.00 is a GREAT PRICE with the coupon!!!!!!!!!
At this point, if you are buying new, they should all be the correct measurements. I would think that they only way you would get one with the incorrect ones would be if you bought one from someone who had purchased early and wanted to sell it now. (Like at a yard sale or personal sale) I would think all stores would only have the new ones to sell now because they had all been sold out before. KWIM?
Old 09-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #742
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I found this tip from We R Memory Keepers on Facebook about the envelope punch board:

"Take a look at the 3x3" Envelope Size on the Punch Board. The original measurements for that size will be 5 3/8” x 5 3/8” with a 2 ¾” score line. If that’s the size listed for the 3x3” Envelope Size, then please email us for a replacement sticker."

In other words, the measurements above are INCORRECT. If your board has that on the chart, it is an earlier board.

The correct measurement for the 3x3 Envelope size should say:

5-1/4 x 5-1/4 with a 2-5/8 score line. If the board has that, it is a new, correct board.

muscrat and Ambelleina like this post.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #743
Crimping Master

THANKS LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will DEFINATELY TAKE NOTICE of those measurements!!!!!!!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!
muscrat likes this post.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #744
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
THANKS LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will DEFINATELY TAKE NOTICE of those measurements!!!!!!!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!
Good! I know you will love using it.

muscrat likes this post.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #745
Rubber Obsessor

I was at a class the other night at my LRSS and we started talking about the punch board and how some of us were not that impressed by it. Our instructor gave us a little tip and it's made a world of difference for me. Instead of rotating 90 degrees after the first punch and score - skip the 90 degrees and rotate 180 degrees instead, punch and score. Then go back and do the other two corners. In other words, punch and score the opposite corners. I've found that everything lines up better and now I'm much more impressed with the board.

erin
muscrat likes this post.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #746
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efromhawaii View Post
I was at a class the other night at my LRSS and we started talking about the punch board and how some of us were not that impressed by it. Our instructor gave us a little tip and it's made a world of difference for me. Instead of rotating 90 degrees after the first punch and score - skip the 90 degrees and rotate 180 degrees instead, punch and score. Then go back and do the other two corners. In other words, punch and score the opposite corners. I've found that everything lines up better and now I'm much more impressed with the board.

erin
I just tried that but I don't really find it made much of a difference. Glad it works for you. The board is awesome!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #747
Stampin' Fool

Default SU vs wrmk

I am confused. If SU added one more measure (which is great) then how do both boards have 66 envelope sizes? Has a different size been removed? I bought the wrmk one a week ago, it's still in the package. I just realized yesterday there is a difference between the 2. I don't want to return it but I'm holding out until I figure out all the differences. I can not seem to find a close up screen shot of the SU measurements. Does anyone know how they both have 66 with the added one on the SU board?

Thanks , Dina
Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #748
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmlmax View Post
I am confused. If SU added one more measure (which is great) then how do both boards have 66 envelope sizes? Has a different size been removed? I bought the wrmk one a week ago, it's still in the package. I just realized yesterday there is a difference between the 2. I don't want to return it but I'm holding out until I figure out all the differences. I can not seem to find a close up screen shot of the SU measurements. Does anyone know how they both have 66 with the added one on the SU board?

Thanks , Dina
Maybe SU just changed sizes for the A2 envelope? I can Google and see if i can find the answer but to be honest, the boards work no matter which one you have!
Old 09-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #749
Proud Fan Club Member

I just went to Stampin Up website and in the video tutorial he says the size for the A2 card is 8 x 8. My we r Memory Keepers board says that measurement is 8 1/8" x 8 1/8" so I assume they just changed that size.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #750
Crimping Master

OK Ladies, I am not too great at measurements...that is PROBABLY why I was such a big critic of the Envelope board not being right in the beginning! BUT, between the two boards out there, SU & WRMK, WHICH ONE ALLOWS the larger envelope for the A2 card? Since that seems to be the one size that is different from the other... THANKS!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #751
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
OK Ladies, I am not too great at measurements...that is PROBABLY why I was such a big critic of the Envelope board not being right in the beginning! BUT, between the two boards out there, SU & WRMK, WHICH ONE ALLOWS the larger envelope for the A2 card? Since that seems to be the one size that is different from the other... THANKS!!!!
TLady, remember, the actual boards are just the same for both SU and We R Memory Keepers. There is no difference in how the boards are made.

You determine the size of the envelopes by the size of your paper square, and where you place your paper on the ruler to start with.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #752
Crimping Master

Maybe, I didn't say it right--- the measurements on the WRMK are 8 1/8" x 8 1/8" for the A2 size & the SU measurements are 8" x 8" for the A2. Is that for the paper measurements then for the A2 Envelope? That would be THE ONLY DIFFERENCE??? Thanks!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #753
Rubber Obsessor

I demo'ed the one at Michaels onSaturday and it had the 4 1/2 x 5 1/2 card measurement and you used the 8 1/8 by 8 1/8 cardstock but I used the 8x8 because of what I had learned at my SU hostess club. Also did a liner. I did my envelope like the regular envelope. Cut off the two short sides then cut my envelope in half and I had two liners. HTH.
Mzteaze likes this post.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #754
Crimping Master

INTERESTING!!!!!!!! THANK YOU BagLady!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #755
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Maybe, I didn't say it right--- the measurements on the WRMK are 8 1/8" x 8 1/8" for the A2 size & the SU measurements are 8" x 8" for the A2. Is that for the paper measurements then for the A2 Envelope? That would be THE ONLY DIFFERENCE??? Thanks!!!!
You got it, TLady!! Some of us with the WRMK board had already figured out that using the 8 x 8 paper would make an envie that was a little smaller, rather than doing what the chart said and using 8-1/8 x 8-1/8.

However, I make cards that are layered and have stuff popped up on dimensionals, with buttons, etc. so I actually like the little larger size for my A2.

It is all a matter of preference, and you can use EITHER board to make any size you like, just by changing the size of the paper and the measurement you line your paper up to at the top on the ruler.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #756
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
If you want the little bit larger envelope, then just use the WRMK measurements for the A2 which is 8 1/8" x 8 1/8" and scored at 3 3/4". It allows for embellishments. I use the WRMK board which has this measurement, however, if I want closer to the real A2 size, I just cut 8x8 and score at 3 1/2".....as Bugga said, the boards are identical in how they are made. I believe the only difference, besides adding the SU logo is the A2 measurements on the SU board.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #757
Crimping Master

THAT'S what I was wondering! Which measurement gave the larger envelope! Since I like to have those little embellishments...or tuck in a note along with the card! THANK YOU buggainok!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #758
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
THAT'S what I was wondering! Which measurement gave the larger envelope! Since I like to have those little embellishments...or tuck in a note along with the card! THANK YOU buggainok!!!!
You are welcome, TLady. I think Kathy/muscrat and I are on a mission to see that everyone who makes cards has the envelope board!

muscrat likes this post.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #759
Crimping Master

I know you two probably thought I was giving you a HARD TIME before with the board--I wasn't trying to! It's like I said, I'm NOT good with measurements! ALTHOUGH, making cards has DEFINATELY HELPED! I've ALWAYS LOVED the IDEA with the Envelope Punch Board! AND wanted one! But, just COULDN'T with my deficiency & feeling that the problem NEEDED to be FIXED! I'm one of those picky people who won't put out money for something that isn't the way it should be! (Stickers just didn't do it for me!) I AM HAPPY that they've FIXED THE PROBLEM! Cause I REALLY WANT ONE!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #760
Proud Fan Club Member

It looks like our (enabling) job is done here, Bugga! LOL
buggainok and dillyb5 like this post.