Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree292Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #601
Crimping Master

Where do I find the envelope glue for the flaps of the envelopes? I looked at my HL and nothing. I did have some but it was so old, it had dried up so I had to toss it. I remember it working great. It was in a clear bottle with a green strip on it I think. I'll look online.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #602
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom View Post
Oh. My. Gosh.

I am literally in LOVE with my envelope maker.

Check out all my pretty envelopes!!!

HL has their scrapbook paper 50% off this week so I got a few .
Those are just beautiful, Sherri. I knew you would love it!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #603
Proud Fan Club Member

I haven't found the envelope glue in stores that I've been in yet. I just use scor tape and don't peel the top of the tape off until ready to mail. Those envelopes are gorgeous! I was eyeing a nice paper stack at Michaels that was on sale, but I didn't buy....yet!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #604
Crimping Master

I decided to try and make my own envelope glue! I found a you tube video and it actually was very easy to mix together. I do not have any elmers glue but I found another hobby glue that's nontoxic so I used that. I'm waiting for it to dry to see how it does ... will check back and let you know how it did.

How To: Make Envelope Glue - YouTube
Old 05-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #605
Crimping Master

A friend of mine found some at Staples but I haven't checked there yet.
muscrat likes this post.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #606
Crimping Master

The glue that I made is sure sticking good right now. I will try it again in the morning to see if it stayed stuck .
buggainok likes this post.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #607
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom View Post
The glue that I made is sure sticking good right now. I will try it again in the morning to see if it stayed stuck .
Good to know, Sherri. I looked at the video. It sure looks simple to make.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #608
Forum Fanatic

If I was making them to hand out or to save, I'd just use scor tape or something similar. I don't ever buy envelopes I have to lick unless it's all they have. I pay extra for the self adhesive kind.

my blog -- my recipes ♥ Victoria's Avon Walk for Breast Cancer site ♥
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #609
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscrat View Post
I haven't found the envelope glue in stores that I've been in yet. I just use scor tape and don't peel the top of the tape off until ready to mail. Those envelopes are gorgeous! I was eyeing a nice paper stack at Michaels that was on sale, but I didn't buy....yet!
I bought this at Jo-Ann's :

Lick & Stick Envelope Glue 1.5 Oz. Remoistenable & glues at Joann.com

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #610
Crimping Master

I love that lick & stick glue ... I just could not find it at my Hobby Lobby.

The homemade glue works great. Super easy to mix together and it costs pennys to make. I checked my envelope this morning and it is still sealed tight .

Yay, it worked!!!
buggainok and muscrat like this post.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #611
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanbri View Post
I went to your link, but it says "Sorry, this item no longer available."
Old 05-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #612
Crimping Master

For those of you who are making lots of decorative print paper envelopes: What are you applying for the address space? Although a gummed computer address label seems like the automatic choice, don't you find the space rather confining for writing in an address by hand? Larger labels are available, of course, but are rather expensive (and boring). Have any of you made a sheet worth of decorative labels with a Cricut (or similar) or some Nestie dies on adhesive backed paper? What about using up scraps of cardstock to make a variety of pastel color decorative labels to have on hand for the envelopes? Or do you just make a single label as appropriate to the design and colors of the envelope?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #613
Crimping Master

I just use a regular address label and write in the space provided. So far, no one has a really long name or a long address so it fits ok .
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #614
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamper View Post
For those of you who are making lots of decorative print paper envelopes: What are you applying for the address space? Although a gummed computer address label seems like the automatic choice, don't you find the space rather confining for writing in an address by hand? Larger labels are available, of course, but are rather expensive (and boring). Have any of you made a sheet worth of decorative labels with a Cricut (or similar) or some Nestie dies on adhesive backed paper? What about using up scraps of cardstock to make a variety of pastel color decorative labels to have on hand for the envelopes? Or do you just make a single label as appropriate to the design and colors of the envelope?
I love the way the envelopes look with the patterns outside, but I'm kind of paranoid that the Post Office machines would have trouble "reading" the address with all that pattern on the envelopes.

Not as much fun, but I've only made my envelopes with the patterns inside, and the white outside.

For those that do the patterns outside, do all of your cards arrive in good time?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #615
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I love the way the envelopes look with the patterns outside, but I'm kind of paranoid that the Post Office machines would have trouble "reading" the address with all that pattern on the envelopes.

Not as much fun, but I've only made my envelopes with the patterns inside, and the white outside.

For those that do the patterns outside, do all of your cards arrive in good time?
I am concerned about the arrival as well. There are markings placed by the postal machines on the envelopes. If the pattern is busy will the marking be readable as the card goes through the mail system?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #616
Forum Fanatic

If I'm mailing I usually put the pattern on the inside. However, cards from the stores are often colored and some have designs on the envelopes. I've also received a lot of cards in handmade envelopes colored on the outside. One time I got one that was made from a cover of a magazine!

If I'm hand delivering the card, the pattern goes on the outside.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #617
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
If I'm mailing I usually put the pattern on the inside. However, cards from the stores are often colored and some have designs on the envelopes. I've also received a lot of cards in handmade envelopes colored on the outside. One time I got one that was made from a cover of a magazine!

If I'm hand delivering the card, the pattern goes on the outside.
Thanks Gale. I agree with your sensible answer. I think I will save the pattern-outside envelopes for hand-delivered envelopes.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #618
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

I plan on using old calendar pages for envelopes, and just placing a label on the front. Way back my first year of college (back in the dark ages), I remember getting pages out of magazines and folding them into envelopes (just opened one envelope and used that as a template) and never had any problem with things getting through. But of course now we do have those magic scanner thingies - but I'm still going to put it on the outside. I figure if postcards can somehow manage to get through, then my cards will too. lol Do I have unjustified faith in our postal system?

Anyway, that's my goal. I hope if anybody sends stuff through, they can get back to us. I think I'll send something to my sister and I can ask her what the envelope looks like when she gets there - like will all those little tick marks still be on it, etc.

Research!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #619
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I cannot abide a plain envelope LOL - that's just me

I always decorate my envelopes myself with custom artwork. I use a lot of ink and stamp designs and sentiment stamps and the results are often very dense and busy (similar to patterned paper design) and I rarely go 'pastel'. I just leave an open area for my return address and an open area for the address of the recipient (this can be accomplished with address labels, also, as someone already mentioned) and I have never had any problems with additional charges for postage or my recipient not receiving the mail from me. I have been decorating my envelopes for 10+ years now. Worse case scenario might be a slower service if the USPS cannot read a bar code that they might stamp on there, but I'm not aware of a service delay.

If you want the official lowdown, I'd suggest you just contact your local post office or call the USPS 800 customer service number (800-275-8777) and you can find out the 'real deal' from the source.

There are LOTS of images on the internet of decorated envelopes - this is just one page of examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=mail...w=1680&bih=858

I enjoy decorating my envelopes as much as I enjoy making my own cards and I like that the design of both card and envelope can match/coordinate. If/when I can no longer decorate my envelopes, I will be one sad stamper

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 05-26-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Old 05-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #620
Proud Fan Club Member

I've sent them with the pattern on the outside with no trouble. If I am concerned about my label, I will place tape over it, but most times not. I think the PO employees like looking at something different for a change! Maybe I am brightening up their day! None of mine have ever NOT arrived at their destination so far....(I made three more today!!)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #621
Crimping Master

Those googled mail art images are fantastic. My mail art always seems to be a small colored stamp image in one of the lower corners of the envelope---so timid! Now that it is so easy to choose your paper and plan your envelope front before it is put together, I hope to see lots more mail art. The SCS gallery doesn't have a section for just envies, does it? Too bad.
muscrat likes this post.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #622
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I went to your link, but it says "Sorry, this item no longer available."
Here's another link that says it's in stock if you want to order it on line:

LICK & STICK remoistenable envelope glue from Green Sneakers

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #623
Pearl-ExPert

I've played with my toy and I like it. The slightly larger non-traditional sizing for the A2 is good if you have a card with embellishments on it and need the room but the measurements for a typical A2 provided on here are just fine for making one in a similar size to the envelopes available commercially. I typically make A2 but have been stepping outside my comfort zone and have been making the odd square card. I find a 5X5 square card a bit tiny and a 6X6 square card a tad large, so I'd prefer a 5.5 square card. I avoided square cards because the cost of the envelopes are pricy. I was surprised that there are no dimensions on the board for this size. I'm sure with a bit of trial and error, I'll find the right combination of paper size and score zone to make an appropriate envelope.

My biggest challenge is getting the biggest envelope possible out of a piece of letter and a piece of legal typing paper! I might even resort to buying some of the next size up (ledger - 11X17). A box of 500 sheets of ledger size is $15.51 at my local Staples (3 cents per sheet). I can't see using 12X12 cardstock or designer paper for all cards. At minimum, even on sale, I've typically paid at least 10 cents/sheet, but usually closer to 40 cents/sheet.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #624
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharnish View Post
I've played with my toy and I like it. The slightly larger non-traditional sizing for the A2 is good if you have a card with embellishments on it and need the room but the measurements for a typical A2 provided on here are just fine for making one in a similar size to the envelopes available commercially. I typically make A2 but have been stepping outside my comfort zone and have been making the odd square card. I find a 5X5 square card a bit tiny and a 6X6 square card a tad large, so I'd prefer a 5.5 square card. I avoided square cards because the cost of the envelopes are pricy. I was surprised that there are no dimensions on the board for this size. I'm sure with a bit of trial and error, I'll find the right combination of paper size and score zone to make an appropriate envelope.

My biggest challenge is getting the biggest envelope possible out of a piece of letter and a piece of legal typing paper! I might even resort to buying some of the next size up (ledger - 11X17). A box of 500 sheets of ledger size is $15.51 at my local Staples (3 cents per sheet). I can't see using 12X12 cardstock or designer paper for all cards. At minimum, even on sale, I've typically paid at least 10 cents/sheet, but usually closer to 40 cents/sheet.
There ARE dimensions on the board for the 5 1/2 x 5 1/2".....Paper cut at 9x9 and score first score at 4 1/2"
Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #625
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Leslie, I hear what you are saying about the cost factor. I am a very frugal person also. I am also able to rationalize pretty well, lol.

I usually buy the large paper stack packs of pattern paper when they are on sale half-price at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. You get 180 sheets for $10. That comes to about 5-1/2 cents per sheet.

There are usually many of the patterns that I can use to make cards. So I tell myself I've saved money by not buying a pack of designer paper for card making. Then I use up the other pages not suitable for cards, to make envelopes.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #626
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
There ARE dimensions on the board for the 5 1/2 x 5 1/2".....Paper cut at 9x9 and score first score at 4 1/2"
Well, I feel really stupid. I didn't look down far enough and didn't see it despite looking several different times Hanging my head in shame. I feel dumb LOL!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #627
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Well, I feel really stupid. I didn't look down far enough and didn't see it despite looking several different times Hanging my head in shame. I feel dumb LOL!

Thanks!
Don't feel stupid. You can feel happy that now you don't have to try to figure it out! And... I once spent an hour looking for a set of nesties that were right were they were supposed to be!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 PM   #628
Kookie Creator

Don't feel stupid, I had to look hard myself to find it. So many tiny numbers crammed in together!LOL. I think I need glasses, another sign I must be getting old!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #629
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

I missed their A2 size marking several times, was about to give up when I finally saw it. Of course I can blame old eyes, right???

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #630
Pearl-ExPert

I'm glad I'm not alone ... I am among friends LOL!
muscrat likes this post.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #631
Proud Fan Club Member

yahoo!! I had a card that I "thought" was going to have to go into a #10 business envelope but I found dimensions for that rare size!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #632
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got a notice that our envelope makers have arrived at my Craft store (I ordered 8 for my stamp club). I am so happy I could spit!!!!!!! Whoooo hooooo
muscrat and Juble like this post.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #633
Crimping Master

I mailed 6 envelopes out this past week and all made it to their destinations safe and sound!! Everyone COMMENTED how cute the envys were!!!

So far, so good.

I am still loving these envelopes!!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #634
Crimping Master

Just got a notice that our envelope makers have arrived at my Craft store (I ordered 8 for my stamp club). I am so happy I could spit!!!!!!! Whoooo hooooo
Mrs Noofy is online now Report Post Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+! muscrat likes this post.

Read more: The Envelope Punch - We R Memory Keepers CHA 2013

I LIKE this post TOO!
muscrat likes this post.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #635
Matboard Maniac

Call me difficult if you like! But I wanted to make an envelope size that wasn't on the board. I'm wondering if anyone has worked out a formula for different sizes. Probably not ......!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #636
Proud Fan Club Member

Just ordered mine from Fotobella yesterday - so excited! As to earlier comments on the patterned envelopes making it through the mail okay: It doesn't matter what the envelope or package looks like - just the LABEL OR ADDRESSING SPACE. As long as it's clear and uncluttered, you'll be fine. You don't even have to have an envelope or box - you can mail a soda bottle or tennis shoe as long as it's clearly labelled, LOL! (Of course, you'll pay a bit more for postage, because it can't go through the scanners...)

Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #637
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
Call me difficult if you like! But I wanted to make an envelope size that wasn't on the board. I'm wondering if anyone has worked out a formula for different sizes. Probably not ......!
I bet if you post the size, there's a good chance someone will figure it out for you. People here are awesome that way.

muscrat and Juble like this post.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #638
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
I figure there's enough options (66 sizes) shown on the unit that there wouldn't be much more a person could possibly want to do that isn't already listed. Anything bigger than what is listed would require paper larger than 12X12.

I looked at the change in the increments with the square cards and don't see a specific pattern there.

The increase the starting square of paper for a 3x3 card to a 4x4 card is a difference of 1 5/8 inches, yet from a 4x4 to a 5x5 is 1 1/4 inches, and from a 5X5 to a 6X6 is 1 3/8 inches; so no specific trend there.

Similarly, the increase in the first score line for a 3x3 to a 4x4 is 7/8, then from 4x4 to 5x5 is 5/8, and 5x5 to 6x6 goes to 5/8 as well.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #639
Proud Fan Club Member

Still excited about my new board! How about the rest of you? Are you using it? I have been making matching envies now for most of my cards.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #640
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Still excited about my new board! How about the rest of you? Are you using it? I have been making matching envies now for most of my cards.
Still using mine too! It's my most happy purchase in quite a while! I'm sure glad that those that have waited forever are finally getting their boards.