Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do re inkers work as well as new ink pads?

Probably a dumb question but I'm kind of a new card maker. I know Ive been stamping a lot though as a couple of my pads seem to be getting drier. I wonder if I should buy the reinkers. I can obviously see that cost wise that would be the wise way to go but I wonder if they work as well. I have two re inkers now, one for my momento black which I use a ton and one for my black versafine, again a much used pad, and neither seems to work as well with the re inker. It seems like I have to reink every time I use them and then sometimes they are kind of blotchy like I got too much ink on them. Ink pads are not that expensive so I wouldn't mind buying a new one if that's the case but like everyone else, I love to save the money. What is your experience with the re inkers? Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

No question is a dumb question! I use re inkers and one of the things I've found is to re ink and then give the pad some time for the ink to absorb.

This is a really good video on using and selecting ink pads from Lindsay Weirich, the Frugal Crafter. [url]
She has a link to a tipsheet from that covers the different types of inks and the below tip on re inking.
"Learn when an ink pad needs to be reinked. Sometimes you just need a bit of solvent to revive
it. If you have a dry pad that you have not used in a while, you left the cover off or you live in the desert you can try a bit of store bought ink refresher OR a homemade solution of distilled water (about 2 ounces) with 2 drops of glycerin in a spray bottle. Give a spritz or two to a dye based pad and let it sit for an hour or two and stamp away. If you look at the edge of the dye pad and it seems whitish then you need to reink it with dye based reinker. For pigment pads you can add pure glycerin to the ink pad (work it in with an old credit card or plastic spoon) to get it moist again, a couple drops of rubbing alcohol can also be added to loosen up old dried ink. If it still seems faded when you stamp add store bought reinker or you can make your own pigment ink using a pea sized dab of gouache (opaque watercolor from the art store, I used the Reeves brand, you can get a set of 18 colors for about $10) and a drop or two of glycerin. For Staz-on Alcohol ink if the pad feels sticky and the ink is drying on your stamp before it gets to the paper you probably need more solvent. Just add a few drops of denatured alcohol to the pad and stamp away!"

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Thanks for posting this from the frugal crafter, Carla.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I never buy a pad without a reinker either - it's the way to go. What you need to get used to is the different inkpad types. Versafine is a felt pad, Memento is a linen pad and SU inks are firm foam. They all absorb and retain ink differently. For example on firm foam pads, you reink with less, more often, and smooth the ink around the pad with the back of a spoon until it looks even on the pad itself. With felt and linen they need time to absorb the ink on their own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,160 Likes on 495 Posts

Can I ask a question reinkers too I have a lot old SU markers that are some new but there all drier out. But question is if I refill with reinkers, Do they really work as well I they say they do? How can I tell if my are the ones You can refill or not? I know some SU markers not refillable? What year SU start making then refillable?
Thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know what type of pad the Gina K inks are then?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
Can I ask a question reinkers too I have a lot old SU markers that are some new but there all drier out. But question is if I refill with reinkers, Do they really work as well I they say they do? How can I tell if my are the ones You can refill or not? I know some SU markers not refillable? What year SU start making then refillable?
Thanks hotwheels
I am a demo and honestly can say I have never seen Stampin' Up! Say that the markers are refillable, HOWEVER, I know of several demos who refill their markers and have not had any problems. There are videos out there on how to do it. There is also a website that sells the brush tips in the right size for Stampin' Up! Markers if yours needs replacing. Since you cannot order individual colors in all of the markers now, this seems economical. I would try it with one that you can purchase separately. That way if you are not happy with the result, you only need to replace that one, not a whole color family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 05:08 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay but, I heard some stampin'up Demos, the brush tips don't came out. so you can't refilled the markers with reinkers. Do you what year the the brush tips started making were the brush tips come out? hotwheels

Quote:

Originally Posted by CwmwcwView Post
I am a demo and honestly can say I have never seen Stampin' Up! Say that the markers are refillable, HOWEVER, I know of several demos who refill their markers and have not had any problems. There are videos out there on how to do it. There is also a website that sells the brush tips in the right size for Stampin' Up! Markers if yours needs replacing. Since you cannot order individual colors in all of the markers now, this seems economical. I would try it with one that you can purchase separately. That way if you are not happy with the result, you only need to replace that one, not a whole color family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
Okay but, I heard some stampin'up Demos, the brush tips don't came out. so you can't refilled the markers with reinkers. Do you what year the the brush tips started making were the brush tips come out? hotwheels
I'm a SU demos and I know that the brush end can be removed, in fact both ends can be removed. Using tweezers, grab the brush near the marker barrel and wiggle it out so you don't pull the outside off the marker.

If you are careful and have a little patience, the entire end of marker that holds the brush can be removed from the barrel. I use jewelry pliers to pull the end off. What is inside the barrel is a plastic wrapped absorbent material that holds the refill ink.

When I refill a marker I put the ink directly into the absorbent material because I can see it filling and I don't overfill. Then I slide it back into the barrel put the top back on, add a couple of drops of refill to the brush, and slide it back into the top. This is kind a long process but I get better results this way.

I buy marker tips and replace them as needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks The fine tips still work well but other work wonderful thanks for you help! Happy Easter... Hotwheels:grin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I'm a SU demos and I know that the brush end can be removed, in fact both ends can be removed. Using tweezers, grab the brush near the marker barrel and wiggle it out so you don't pull the outside off the marker.

If you are careful and have a little patience, the entire end of marker that holds the brush can be removed from the barrel. I use jewelry pliers to pull the end off. What is inside the barrel is a plastic wrapped absorbent material that holds the refill ink.

When I refill a marker I put the ink directly into the absorbent material because I can see it filling and I don't overfill. Then I slide it back into the barrel put the top back on, add a couple of drops of refill to the brush, and slide it back into the top. This is kind a long process but I get better results this way.

I buy marker tips and replace them as needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm another that buys re-inkers, rather than new pads, for an environmental reason as much as the cost saving. All the pads I re-ink- pigments/Archival/Distress/ Versafine/Adirondacks work just as well after re-inking as the original pad. From the blotchyness, that sounds like you are not re-inking evenly. For the Versafine, which is a fabric style of pad, I just run the re-inker along in lines squeezing gently. Then as Lydia suggests, use the back of a spoon to smooth it out.
I also still store all my inkpads, other than Distress pads, upside down. I know this is a topic that rages on and on, but I genuinely feel my pads work better stored like this. I never have problems with ink pads feeling dry this way. I only need to re-ink when it seems the colour is faded out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I find most ink pad will work just as well - if not better - after re-inking properly. The only one I found that doesn't work well is my Stazon black ink pad. I have to re-ink that sucker every. single. time. I. use. it. :( I may buy another pad just to see if its just the one I have or if its something with the pad itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 130 Likes on 46 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I find most ink pad will work just as well - if not better - after re-inking properly. The only one I found that doesn't work well is my Stazon black ink pad. I have to re-ink that sucker every. single. time. I. use. it. :( I may buy another pad just to see if its just the one I have or if its something with the pad itself.
Don't bother to buy another pad. It's the nature of the beast. You have to reink them every. single. time. and sometimes while using, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 03:58 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I was also coming in to say it's the pad, not you, cat_woman. And don't even mention those horrible white/pale blue/pale pink Staz-on pads I was stupid enough to believe the hype on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
The black every time? I have to say that does surprise me. The white, yes - every single time but sometimes it's worth it. I've had my black for ten years or more and I think I've only re-inked it twice. It's not my go-to ink by any means, so it doesn't get regular use but it's almost always ready to stamp straight away when I need it. And my brown and grey have never been re-inked, I don't even have the re-inkers for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Cat woman, did you save the little interior clear plastic pad cover for your Staz-On? Directions say to save it & cover pad every time. It sits very near the pad and seems to help keep it moist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Cat woman, did you save the little interior clear plastic pad cover for your Staz-On? Directions say to save it & cover pad every time. It sits very near the pad and seems to help keep it moist.
I do have it and i put it back on the pad every time I use it. It could be that its just old. I'm pretty sure I've had it at least 10 years now. I know I got it before I got my dog and she's been a part of our family now for 8 years. I know - silly - I measure time by comparing it to how long I've had my dog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a memento black that's 3 yrs. old that I store it upside down. I've never had to reink it. I'm amazed at the quality of the image I still get. Maybe it's the storing it upside down that helps!

All my other pads are SU and reink quite well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

Shazsilverwolf says she stores all her ink pad upside down except the Distress pads. Is there a reason those shouldn't be stored upside down?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormlady66View Post
Shazsilverwolf says she stores all her ink pad upside down except the Distress pads. Is there a reason those shouldn't be stored upside down?
The Distress pads are so juicy that you will end up with ink in your lid if you store them upside down. Your ink will be more splotchy on your stamp and your stamped image. I get much better results storing these pads right-side up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I have had my distress inks stored upside down for ages since I think I read that somewhere to store upside down. Just checked a few and I don't have any ink in the lids, but I guess I will start storing them right side up now.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

You never stop learning about supplies, etc. with this hobby! Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Likes