Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 08-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #41
Pearl-ExPert

Agree - almost like making the Ranger blenders look worse on purpose. Not that I can blend very well with them with regular inks - though they're great with Oxides! But I always stamp off the paper and then very softly move inwards. But it's a different look.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
DianeinSparks and Pamsertich52 like this post.
Unread 08-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

Coincidence time. In an email sent today by Laura Bassen, look at her ultra-soft blending using the Ranger tool. Not that I can do that so well. And Clarity brushes are great with stencils. - the Ranger tool not so much. But it illustrates what you said, Leah. I bet she stamped off ink like crazy beforehand.
I'll attach the photo here too. Odd - it didn't insert even though it said it did.That's never happened.

Oh well, look at the second photo in her blog:

Mama Elephant-Little Boy Agenda ? laurafadora
hultenlk and Pamsertich52 like this post.
Unread 08-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
Question for those who have both the Clarity brushes and make up brushes ... can anyone weigh in on how similar/dissimilar they are? TIA.
I've tried make up brushes and they were so-so. Then I got my Clarity brushes and it was like night and day - I am a big fan. Especially for stenciling. I still like my Tim Holtz blending tools for some backgrounds or for darkening up the edges of a piece, but never use them for stenciling since I got the Clarity brushes.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
bjeans likes this post.
Unread 08-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #44
Proud Fan Club Member

I did play with mine the other day and got a beautiful, even, soft effect using a very intricate stencil. I like the way I can stiffen them up by "choking" the actual bristles if I need to get into a tight place. I can't speak to make-up brushes since I haven't tried them.

These also cleaned easily - I did the baby wipe thing, thanks for that guys. Very happy I got them.
TeeGeeDee likes this post.
Unread 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #45
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, dear. Reading this thread introduced me to the fact that Barbara Gray also sells gorgeous designer paper... Must. Resist.
joniworx and bjeans like this post.
Unread 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #46
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniebean55 View Post
anyone? (or do we not do make up in this crowd? )
I've not seen make-up brushes with this kind of point on them or the size that this company offers. I also don't think that make-up brushes would hold up to all we would do with them!
Unread 08-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #47
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I don't know that I would use these for Pan Pastels. I'm sure they would work but they would also create an excess of dust with that repetitive back and forth motion. You'd be wasting a very expensive product. Pan pastels are usually used with a precise hand that keeps the tool close to the paper as much as possible.
joniworx likes this post.
Unread 08-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

Chiming in for Clarity brushes...you can use other soft brushes...but the difference is the shape and the many ways you can use these brushes for so many things. In a few swipes, and two blues of distress inks, you can get the wispiest of skies and hints of clouds with no stencil. Amazing. You can use one set and make it through the color families, (and so far I do) but I'm angling for the second set. I won't need another. I love, love, LOVE these brushes and I kicked myself in the butt a few times for waiting so long (over a year!!!) while I put them back on the wish list and bought other things instead. One of the best investments I made this year.
Unread 08-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #49
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemurLover View Post
Oh, dear. Reading this thread introduced me to the fact that Barbara Gray also sells gorgeous designer paper... Must. Resist.

::sitting on your other shoulder, whispering:: don't resist...give into temptation...

You're welcome
Unread 08-10-2017, 10:37 PM   #50
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeans View Post
Coincidence time. In an email sent today by Laura Bassen, look at her ultra-soft blending using the Ranger tool. Not that I can do that so well. And Clarity brushes are great with stencils. - the Ranger tool not so much. But it illustrates what you said, Leah. I bet she stamped off ink like crazy beforehand.
I'll attach the photo here too. Odd - it didn't insert even though it said it did.That's never happened.

Oh well, look at the second photo in her blog:

Mama Elephant-Little Boy Agenda ? laurafadora

Laura is really good at this. Some days I can do it and some days, not so much. For me, the key is getting my pinkie down on the paper, then using a really light touch. And having a really well-used blender foam always is a plus. Ok, and holding your mouth just right.

Last edited by joniworx; 08-10-2017 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: grammar
bjeans and Pamsertich52 like this post.
Unread 08-11-2017, 01:38 AM   #51
Pearl-ExPert

As I said before, I bought some lovely soft art brushes, and get great results. They do sort of open out and go nice and fluffy, giving a soft blend. On the other hand, even though the Clarity ones are lovely & soft, they retain their shape. Which is very useful for working in small areas. I do have one set, and keep them for 'detail' work.
Pamsertich52 likes this post.
Unread 08-11-2017, 04:00 AM   #52
Crimping Master

WHERE are you ladies buying these brushes? I've only seen them on SSS. I've checked Dick Blick & they don't even carry them!
Unread 08-11-2017, 04:32 AM   #53
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLady View Post
WHERE are you ladies buying these brushes? I've only seen them on SSS. I've checked Dick Blick & they don't even carry them!
If you google "clarity brushes" you'll find a bunch: Hallmark Scrapbook, Artist Supply Source, Blitsy, MFT, others. You'll see a couple at the top of the page, and then just keep reading down the page and go to the next page to find more. (I bought mine at Tupelo but stopped buying from them.)
Unread 08-11-2017, 04:37 AM   #54
Cardstock Collector

Default Clarity brushes

i agree about the ink blending tool. I have found as they get more saturated and your pad is juicy they work just fine. I like Hedgehog Hollows videos. She does a great job in her comparisons. You get what you pay for. The Clarity brushes are expensive but worth it for some effects. I don't own many (just one set) so I wash mine out and that seems to work for me
Unread 08-11-2017, 04:50 AM   #55
Proud Fan Club Member

I got mine on Amazon. I had found them a few bucks cheaper elsewhere, but once you factored in the free Prime shipping, it was basically a wash, and I got them in two days.
Unread 08-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #56
Stazon Splitcoast

I love, love, love how soft and air-brushy an effect it gives, and have no doubt that if make up brushes could do the same exact thing the Clarity brushes can, that Barbara wouldn't be 'pushing' her brushes, she'd be showing us how to use make up brushes ... but I gotta say, I'm really having fun with a $10 set of make up brushes (and eco friendly to boot! yay!). The set of five I found has both fat/wide brushes and small/detail brushes. I'm not making tons of cards and with so many other techniques to play with too, I can't imagine wearing these out.

I'm still curious about a side by side comparison, love that this thread got started, and happy with this lovely air brushy effect. Many thanks Ms. Robin for asking your question!
Unread 08-11-2017, 05:54 AM   #57
Proud Fan Club Member

Jeaniebean - I have looked for a YouTube comparison of makeup brushes and Clarity brushes and have found none. I see lots of videos about how makeup brushes are as good as Clarity brushes, but none of the folks doing these actually have Clarity brushes as well, only makeup brushes. I guess once you buy inexpensive makeup brushes and get a result you like, your motivation to spring for the Clarity brushes would be pretty low. And once you buy the Clarity Brushes, your motivation to possibly prove to yourself that you spent a lot of money and didn't need to would be slim to nil!

So we may ever know unless someone who has been using the makeup brushes can't resist seeing whether they have been missing something and buys the Clarity brushes. Or someone who has bought the Clarity brushes gets sick of hearing about how they didn't need to and picks up one of their makeup brushes to prove the makeup brush contingent wrong! !

Last edited by Rachelrose; 08-11-2017 at 05:57 AM..
jeaniebean55 and shazsilverwolf like this post.
Unread 08-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #58
Stazon Splitcoast

You may be right, Robin ... we may never know. (and somehow, I think we'll all be just fine. lol!) My hunch is that the effects are not the same, and for some, close enough, for others, not close enough.
Unread 08-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #59
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

Well for corn's sake. I was killing time while I had color on my hair and I did not know these existed and now I need them! Awhile back I bought a couple of dollar store makeup brushes thinking they may work for ink blending. Of course, I didn't just buy one to try it, I bought six. They all went in the trash. They did not take color. Do the Clarity brushes only come in a set? Also, because I got side tracked watching the video and reading, my hair is a bit more purple than I intended!
LuckyGirl, whim6915, Lola G. and 2 others like this post.
Unread 08-15-2017, 06:34 PM   #60
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
Well for corn's sake. I was killing time while I had color on my hair and I did not know these existed and now I need them! Awhile back I bought a couple of dollar store makeup brushes thinking they may work for ink blending. Of course, I didn't just buy one to try it, I bought six. They all went in the trash. They did not take color. Do the Clarity brushes only come in a set? Also, because I got side tracked watching the video and reading, my hair is a bit more purple than I intended!
I know I'm not the only one giggling at this point...too funny! Jennifer McGuire consistently introduces me to things I need!

The brushes only come in a set, and that is really a good thing. One isn't enough. As for your hair...bet it is stunning!
Unread 08-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #61
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
...I did not know these existed and now I need them!
Yes. Yes, you do. Although there are some other brushes on the market now, double ended, called Ink Dusters by Inkylicious. They come in a three-pack, so that's six ends to fool around with. There's even a conversation about them here at Splitcoaststampers: ink dusters

Just to make things more confusing, Judikins has something called Color Dusters, same idea. Look like men's shaving brushes.

You pays yer money, and you take yer chances...
Unread 08-16-2017, 02:20 AM   #62
Pearl-ExPert

I also have the Inkylicious Colour Duster brushes, and can tell you that they are not as soft as the Clarity ones. they also tend to 'fluff' out a bit, where the Clarity ones maintain their shape. They do work well for blending though. I have also bought mens shaving brushes, when I've found them in our Pound stores, and they work as well as the Inkylicious ones, and feel about the same.
joniworx likes this post.
Unread 08-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #63
Proud Fan Club Member

Clarity brushes on sale at Hallmark Scrapbook.