Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a Big Shot

Let me start by saying that I have a Cuttlebug, that I love, and I got a Grand Calibur for Christmas that I have not used as much, but I think it will be great for the large dies.

I have an Archivers near me and they are having a sale on the Big Shot, on sale for $69. I also have some Archivers gift cards that would bring the price down to just about nothing for me, but do I need it in addition to the two machines I already have.

I have one die, the Tim Holtz rosette die that I cannot use without buying the longer plates for the Cuttlebug, but other than that, is there a reason I should take advantage of this really good sale.

I saw a post about a Big Shot Pro, would I be buying a model that is about to be replaced with something better?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

You'd still need long plates for the BS. I'd buy long plates for your CB & more dies for either of the machines you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

The big shot pro is different than the big shot - it is larger for 12x12 paper and the larger dies. So that isn't replacing the Big Shot. As for needing the big shot... you can do everything with the CB that you can do with the big shot. I did replace my CB with the Big Shot just because I liked the the sturdiness of the big shot and never liked the suction cups on the CB. So unless you plan to replace your CB with the BS, I agree with Vic - spend the money on more plates and dies!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

If you are happy with what you have what will you gain by buying another machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Since I have only recently started buying dies, I thought there might be more dies that would only work in the Big Shot. It seems that the fat ones work in my cuttlebug and the really thin ones work well in my Grand Calibur, but I couldn't get the rosette die to work in either, and someone suggested it would work in the Big Shot. The Big Shot also seems to be the machine of choice for many, but I am not sure if that is just because Stampin Up sells it or because most dies work in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I had the Tim Holtz rosette die and it worked in my Cuttlebug. I have the long plates for my Cuttlebug.

The Bigshot may be the machine of choice for many as it seems more sturdy. But the only dies that will not work in my Cuttlebug are because they are too large such as some of the Spellbinder Grand dies. All dies that are no wider than 5 & 7/8" work in the Cuttlebug or the Bigshot.
Thin dies work in the Cuttlebug with a "C" plate .
From the bottom up: A base-B plate -cardstock- die cut side down-C plate- Roll through .I always cut into my B plate since C plates are hard to find

Some people have said their Cuttlebug doesn't stay anchored to their table.
I don't have that problem
I found that when the platforms are opened it is important to open them simultaneously!! Lower them together at the same time. Then it anchors to the table .
IF you put one down and then the other or don't lower them at the same rate it will not engage the suction feature .

Both the Cuttlebug and the Bigshot are great machines.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-22-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

I have both the Big Shot and the Cuttlebug. I use the Cuttlebug more, just because it's easier to grab and put on the desk. I usually use the big Sizzix dies on the Big Shot though, just because they seem to work easier on it.
I have to say, though, that I got my Big Shot for $29.99 a couple years ago (on sale with a 25% discount code and free shipping). I wouldn't have laid out the money if it had been full price.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and your replies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I would buy the extended plates for the CB and more dies. I have both machines. I reach for my CB more. I do recommend the Big Shot because I do think it is sturdier. Other than that both machines really do the same things. I have both because I work with a lot of fabrics. I like to keep my fabric tools separate from my crafting tools. I am quirky.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have a CB, I'd buy the extended plates for that. I personally prefer the Sizzix machines, but the CB can handle the same dies as the Big Shot/Big Kick/Vintaj (all three of which are essentially the same machine in different colors), so there's no real need to buy another machine that size. (However, like so many die/cutting fans, I have more than one machine!)

The Big Shot Pro is a larger version of the BS/BK/Vintaj. Quality-wise, it's not a better machine than the other Sizzix machines, just bigger.

There are lots of fantastic dies for the BSP, which will take almost every die and embossing folder on the market. I say "almost" because the AccuCut Giant dies are 15" x 18" and require their (awesome) GrandeMark machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

well, you all have saved me some money and my gift cards. Thank you for all your help. Now I can use my gift cards for something else that I just have to have, sure wish Archivers had those long plates, but they don't carry Cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I went to Archivers today, and I resisted the Big Shot sale. They were demo'ing the machine, but they did it for you and didn't let you try it yourself. So, off I go to try and find somewhere that carries the Cuttlebug longer plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Creative Play Stamps normally carries them, but they're currently out of the extended cutting plates (the B plates). They have the extended A & C plates.

Creative Play Stamps Cuttlebug stuff

This will at least give you an idea of what you're looking for. CPS also has a feature where they'll email you when an item is back in stock. Go ahead and click on the item even though it says out of stock, and there will be a field where you can enter your email to be notified.

I've purchased from them before and have never had a problem with them. Sign up for their email newsletter and get coupon codes about once a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkm8113View Post
Let me start by saying that I have a Cuttlebug, that I love, and I got a Grand Calibur for Christmas that I have not used as much, but I think it will be great for the large dies.

I have an Archivers near me and they are having a sale on the Big Shot, on sale for $69. I also have some Archivers gift cards that would bring the price down to just about nothing for me, but do I need it in addition to the two machines I already have.

I have one die, the Tim Holtz rosette die that I cannot use without buying the longer plates for the Cuttlebug, but other than that, is there a reason I should take advantage of this really good sale.

I saw a post about a Big Shot Pro, would I be buying a model that is about to be replaced with something better?
All I can say is I LOVE my Big Shot. I bought a Grand Calibur one night before a workshop because my Big Shot handle broke and couldn't be fixed so I needed something. Hated it! I ordered another Big Shot and will not use anything else.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is interesting to me, because I am struggling with whether to invest in a die cut machine at all. Here is why I want one: I have lots of stamps that there are dies for, and I am also interested in embossing textures. Here is why I am resisting: I can cut out my images with my plain old scissors (very tedious and of course I'll never get as neat and crisp a look) and I don't absolutely need to start embossing at the moment.

The Big Shot is what I would get. I like the way the Cuttlebug folds up, but everything about the Big Shot is sturdier, including the handle thingey. I don't need portability. I need stability and ease of use. I also have plenty of space to leave the Big Shot out and ready to go in my project room. The Big Shot is also actually cheaper on Amazon, given that you now have to buy a separate C plate with the CB V2.

But it's not affording the machine - it's the fact that once I have it it opens up a whole new arena in which to spend money! That scares me a little.

Do you guys love your die cut machines? Do you use them a lot? What are your favorite ways of using them?

RR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have both a Cuttlebug and Big Kick [same as Big Shot] and like them both. I mostly use the Cuttlebug for embossing folders and to take to my card making group and use the Big Kick for die cutting. It is very sturdy and super easy to use. I love using the Memory Box dies and Nestabilities. I could never cut neat circles or ovals and the Nestabilities and Big Kick give me perfect ones every time. So glad I got it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
This thread is interesting to me, because I am struggling with whether to invest in a die cut machine at all. Here is why I want one: I have lots of stamps that there are dies for, and I am also interested in embossing textures. Here is why I am resisting: I can cut out my images with my plain old scissors (very tedious and of course I'll never get as neat and crisp a look) and I don't absolutely need to start embossing at the moment.

The Big Shot is what I would get. I like the way the Cuttlebug folds up, but everything about the Big Shot is sturdier, including the handle thingey. I don't need portability. I need stability and ease of use. I also have plenty of space to leave the Big Shot out and ready to go in my project room. The Big Shot is also actually cheaper on Amazon, given that you now have to buy a separate C plate with the CB V2.

But it's not affording the machine - it's the fact that once I have it it opens up a whole new arena in which to spend money! That scares me a little.

Do you guys love your die cut machines? Do you use them a lot? What are your favorite ways of using them?

RR
I love to hand cut. Hand cutting for me is so relaxing. I am writing this in all caps I LOVE MY DIE CUTTERS! ! I love them to pieces. I do a lot of mixed media art. My Sizzix & Cuttlebug can cut so many different materials from thin metals to fabrics. I can cut and emboss my own custom made jewelry, fabric creations, polymer clay creations, etc...

I really rely on my Cuttlebug. The other day I bought a stencil and the girl accidentally stuck it in my bag wrong. When I came home my stencil was bent. This was just a simple plastic stencil, not brass one. I ran it through my Cuttlebug and my stencil flattened out with no damage. I also use it to smash other objects that need flattened like tin that I use in my artwork.

I use my CB for things that you would not think of. My DH has used it for an item to fix on his car.

I make my own Nestabilities by using my electronic die cutters or even stencils. I can emboss my frugal Nestabilities in my Cuttlebug. That's one way I save money from buying dies. I do own a few Nestabilities in basic shapes that I use to cut fabric with.

I do own a lot of steel rule dies. I am also super picky. I have gotten great deals over the years. I will never ever pay more than ten dollars for a steel rule die. I bought the Hello Kitty collection of dies for around $4 each. I buy a lot of basic shapes, flowers, butterflies, sea items. Things that are my personality that can be used in numerous ways.

You can make your own embossing folders with stencils or your electronic die cutting machines. I usually do that to save money. I do have a few embossing folders in my styles that are versatile.

My Cuttlebug is a must have tool for me. I rate it as high as my scissors. I would buy one all over again if I had too. I do recommend the Big Shot the most because it's sturdy, doesn't wobble like the Cuttlebug, bigger feed area. I would probably buy a CB again over the BS personally for me because it's better suited for my lifestyle at that moment.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I love to hand cut. Hand cutting for me is so relaxing. I am writing this in all caps I LOVE MY DIE CUTTERS! ! I love them to pieces. I do a lot of mixed media art. My Sizzix & Cuttlebug can cut so many different materials from thin metals to fabrics. I can cut and emboss my own custom made jewelry, fabric creations, polymer clay creations, etc...

I really rely on my Cuttlebug. The other day I bought a stencil and the girl accidentally stuck it in my bag wrong. When I came home my stencil was bent. This was just a simple plastic stencil, not brass one. I ran it through my Cuttlebug and my stencil flattened out with no damage. I also use it to smash other objects that need flattened like tin that I use in my artwork.

I use my CB for things that you would not think of. My DH has used it for an item to fix on his car.

I make my own Nestabilities by using my electronic die cutters or even stencils. I can emboss my frugal Nestabilities in my Cuttlebug. That's one way I save money from buying dies. I do own a few Nestabilities in basic shapes that I use to cut fabric with.

I do own a lot of steel rule dies. I am also super picky. I have gotten great deals over the years. I will never ever pay more than ten dollars for a steel rule die. I bought the Hello Kitty collection of dies for around $4 each. I buy a lot of basic shapes, flowers, butterflies, sea items. Things that are my personality that can be used in numerous ways.

You can make your own embossing folders with stencils or your electronic die cutting machines. I usually do that to save money. I do have a few embossing folders in my styles that are versatile.

My Cuttlebug is a must have tool for me. I rate it as high as my scissors. I would buy one all over again if I had too. I do recommend the Big Shot the most because it's sturdy, doesn't wobble like the Cuttlebug, bigger feed area. I would probably buy a CB again over the BS personally for me because it's better suited for my lifestyle at that moment.

You said you make your own nestabilities. Can you add a link of pictures of them here? I am curious as to how to do this. Pictures would help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Default Oh, yeah, I love 'em both!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post

RR
As I posted before, I have both the CB & the Big Shot. And I love the both of 'em. I absolutely adore the texture of the embossing folders, and all that you can do with those. I love the die cutting you can do with Nesties, et al. And, as to hand cutting, can you REALLY cut these kind of things out by hand???-
Moroccan Motifs
Moroccan Accents
Persian Motifs
Persian Accents

(I can't)

I have a bunch of the more ornate dies, because I love the look.
Yes, it opens up a whole new area of purchasing. (And I'm still on half allowance for another year!) But it expands your creative horizons exponentially. And you can always use coupons, ebay, or the buy/sell here on SCS to find deals. Even on the machines themselves. (also Craig's List)

I would not want to be without at least one die cut/embossing machine.

(ps. DH bought me a Cricut that I really didn't want- now THERE'S an avenue for spending money- which is basically why I didn't want to get involved.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

FYI- Oh My Crafts has the Big Shot for 59.99, with a 20% off orders over $25. (The code is CRAFT20)

I deal with OMC often, shipping may be a little slow, but with sales and coupons, the prices are great.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapinnut620View Post
You said you make your own nestabilities. Can you add a link of pictures of them here? I am curious as to how to do this. Pictures would help.
I don't have any pictures. I am sorry. I don't really blog. I am the world's worst photographer. Here's my favorite tutorial for making your own Nestabilties:

Build a Batch of Christmas Cards! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

On Lindsay's site she also has tutorials for making your own Letterpress plates & using stencils with the Big Shot.

Little tips. If you don't have an electronic die cutting machine to make your own Nesties to use in the Big Shot it's not a problem. You can print out SVG files using Inkscape (Freeware) and cut by hand.

If you have a Coluzzle or another cutting system you can use those items to make stencils. I use my Coluzzle a lot for this technique.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I don't have any pictures. I am sorry. I don't really blog. I am the world's worst photographer. Here's my favorite tutorial for making your own Nestabilties:

Build a Batch of Christmas Cards! � Thefrugalcrafter�s Weblog

On Lindsay's site she also has tutorials for making your own Letterpress plates & using stencils with the Big Shot.

Little tips. If you don't have an electronic die cutting machine to make your own Nesties to use in the Big Shot it's not a problem. You can print out SVG files using Inkscape (Freeware) and cut by hand.

If you have a Coluzzle or another cutting system you can use those items to make stencils. I use my Coluzzle a lot for this technique.
So, what you're actually doing is creating the embossed border around the shape, right?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
So, what you're actually doing is creating the embossed border around the shape, right?
Yes, you have it right.

Reply With Quote Likes