Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY video - Hinged stamping tool from DVD case

First off, like everyone else, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MISTI! It's made my stamping a lot less frustrating and wasteful. That said, I'm fortunate I could afford one but I remember the days while raising kids that I wouldn't have been able to.

I don't want to take anything away from the MISTI as it is the BEST and if you can possibly get one, I hope you will. But for those who can't, here's a video from Hallmark Scrapbook (I shop there - great prices and service) that shows how to make a basic hinged stamping tool out of a DVD case. It has it's limitations but it's still pretty cool and comes in well under $10.

Scroll down for the video:
DIY Hinged Stamping Tool

DVD cases are known for cracking so I don't know that these will last a long time whereas the MISTI is much sturdier and should last and may be a better buy in the long term. However this looks like it works well for as long as it will last and sometimes something is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 04:08 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol I found that video a few days back and went and made it. I love it. I love it so much I may buy a MISTI.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Mary Ann

~~ My slowly growing gallery ~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Default Not a good alternative to the Misti, in my opinion.

i have these DVD cases, and thought I would compare the DVD and my Misti. This is what I found. I stamped a sentient using the DVD case in black ink, then stamped again in red ink, and the second stamping was off! So I thought maybe it was the DVD case, so I tried 5 all together. Zero of the 5 lined up perfectly! This is not an alternative for the real Misti, according to my testing. The DVD cases produced the same results I obtained with the Letterpress platform, not as good as my Misti. I wasn't surprised, because both the Letterpress and DVD cases have 2 hinges that can move ever so slightly.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 06-22-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I ordered the supplies and made the DVD case stamping tool for my 82 year old neighbor who has severe arthritis. There is no way she could afford the expensive tool. Her hands are not steady enough for stamping with wood stamps or a block and she can't generate the required pressure to get an even impression. She will never make cards that are design team worthy, but she just wants to continue the card ministry she started for her church. but can no longer afford to continue to buy the cards for. I don't make enough cards to keep her supplied. I did make up some samples that are of solid images or simple line drawings stamps of mine that she can easily use and I pre-cut and fold the cardstock from my stash for her. She has been making really sweet cards and having a ball. She tell me how she used to love to craft until health and budget forced her to stop. The little DVD case tool has been a blessing for her.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to make it easy for her to color or paint her cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skippet-

What a wonderful, sweet, thoughtful person you are to help your elderly neighbor! It is so sad when, as we age, our ability to do certain tasks becomes difficult. Your assistance lets your neighbor continue doing something she enjoyed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Skippet I sent you an email.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I wish I'd seen all the DIY versions before buying the MISTI. I've only used my MISTI twice and it's cracked already. I guess I need to send pictures but I'm not hopeful.
That is why I usually hang back and TRY not to buy the newest thing. I have read that a crafter had hers crack and she contacted the company and they sent a replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #9  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
That is why I usually hang back and TRY not to buy the newest thing. I have read that a crafter had hers crack and she contacted the company and they sent a replacement.

I hung back. I read the MISTI thread for four months, and only caved when I got to see one in real life at a Texana Designs meetup - one of their designers had one. I was SOLD. At that point, they were backordered, so I waited a month to get mine.

The old manufacturing process caused the crazing - fine cracks at the edge of the lid. Mine showed up very quickly. I emailed her, she replaced it immediately with one of the ones that is manufactured a different way and doesn't have the defect. However, I'm still using my original one and it's just ducky. If anything ever does happen to the lid of my original (and I use it daily as well as have my students use it in my classes) - I have the new one waiting in the wings.

It's a fantastic tool that has changed the way I stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I hung back. I read the MISTI thread for four months, and only caved when I got to see one in real life at a Texana Designs meetup - one of their designers had one. I was SOLD. At that point, they were backordered, so I waited a month to get mine.

The old manufacturing process caused the crazing - fine cracks at the edge of the lid. Mine showed up very quickly. I emailed her, she replaced it immediately with one of the ones that is manufactured a different way and doesn't have the defect. However, I'm still using my original one and it's just ducky. If anything ever does happen to the lid of my original (and I use it daily as well as have my students use it in my classes) - I have the new one waiting in the wings.

It's a fantastic tool that has changed the way I stamp.
Great points Lydia! i don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but I've always handled any problems I've had with a company or individual directly. I always want to give them an opportunity to resolve any issues before taking it any further. Unfortunately negative feedback is easier to remember verses positive feedback. I have had my MISTI for nearly a year, and it's still going strong! It's my top best purchase ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok I am ready to buy a real MISTI but where an I buy one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
Ok I am ready to buy a real MISTI but where an I buy one?

My Sweet Petunia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't be sorry

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Personally, when not impulse shopping , I prefer to make an informed choice about what I buy. I like knowing the good and not so good about products. I researched the silhouette before I bought it. I waited to buy a Cameo until I had read reviews from actual users.

I appreciate people reporting back about their personal experiences about any products stampers use. It hasn't stopped me from shopping, it has made me a more educated consumer. I consider that a good thing.;)

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
Personally, when not impulse shopping , I prefer to make an informed choice about what I buy. I like knowing the good and not so good about products. I researched the silhouette before I bought it. I waited to buy a Cameo until I had read reviews from actual users.

I appreciate people reporting back about their personal experiences about any products stampers use. It hasn't stopped me from shopping, it has made me a more educated consumer. I consider that a good thing.;)
I agree ! And sometimes what one person considers a negative may not be a problem for me . I recall shopping for a new GPS. Several people complained the one I wanted did not have coordinates . Well, I never hike in the woods so I don't need to tell someone my coordinates for someone to find me if I get lost . LOL Roads and highways have street signs; mile makers or land marks to identify where I am .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post

I agree, but still feel companies should be given an opportunity to resolve issues before posting it all over the Internet. It is more beneficial to me to read reviews that include an outcome. Posting ones product likes and dislikes are totally different.

Last edited by Annecards; 07-11-2015 at 05:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #17  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I think most of the people who have had big problems with the MISTI have updated once they were resolved (or not resolved in some cases). Since mine only has two tiny cracks (so far) I have not bothered to send pictures. I don't know if two tiny cracks is enough for her to consider replacing.
If it's the edge defect she certainly will - I'd send them!
Reply With Quote Likes